Mo Bamba

What if we drafted Doncic and say Dallas with the 5th pick is on the clock and Bagley is still available. If Dallas offered the 5th pick + next years top 3 protected for Doncic, would you pull the trigger?

Some would consider that a fairly even trade talent wise plus you'd be getting what should be a 8-10th pick the next year. Could be something to ponder if the situation arises.
I personally would look to trade the #2 to Atl for their #3 and #19 picks (hell include #30). At which I would take Bagley, Hutchison and Wagner and call it a draft.

I'm ALL IN on Bagkey at this point, I think he will end up as a rich man's Amare Stoudemire.

What if we drafted Doncic and say Dallas with the 5th pick is on the clock and Bagley is still available. If Dallas offered the 5th pick + next years top 3 protected for Doncic, would you pull the trigger?

Some would consider that a fairly even trade talent wise plus you'd be getting what should be a 8-10th pick the next year. Could be something to ponder if the situation arises.

So my question is can we trade our #2 Pick (Luka) down for a #5 pick and 2019 pick if the player we want (Porter,Bagley,JJJ) we know will be available at #5, but do the trade AFTER we pick at #2?

I thought to trade down you had to make the trade before the #2 pick and then wait to see if the player we want is there at #5?
Last year when we traded down from #10 for #15 and #20 we had to wait to see who was avail at #15 and #20

This is an important distinction for me, if we have to make the trade before the #2 pick and wait to see who is avail, then I would not trade down below #5 so we could get one of Bagley,JJJ,Porter.

If we can wait to see who is avail picks 3-10, we can wait to see who the player avail is and what the team is offering for Luka, that is a huge difference

So can you make a trade down "conditional" on a specific player being available at the #5?

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
So my question is can we trade our #2 Pick (Luka) down for a #5 pick and 2019 pick if the player we want (Porter,Bagley,JJJ) we know will be available at #5, but do the trade AFTER we pick at #2?

I thought to trade down you had to make the trade before the #2 pick and then wait to see if the player we want is there at #5?
Last year when we traded down from #10 for #15 and #20 we had to wait to see who was avail at #15 and #20

This is an important distinction for me, if we have to make the trade before the #2 pick and wait to see who is avail, then I would not trade down below #5 so we could get one of Bagley,JJJ,Porter.

If we can wait to see who is avail picks 3-10, we can wait to see who the player avail is and what the team is offering for Luka, that is a huge difference

So can you make a trade down "conditional" on a specific player being available at the #5?
Yes. We can talk with teams about possible trades all the livelong day, make our pick at 2, talk some more, have a sandwich, wait for Dallas to come up at #5, decide if we want to pull the trigger on a trade, or not. We aren't constrained to making deals BEFORE any of the picks are made. Last year we did make the trade sight unseen, but we don't HAVE to.

I just don't see why you wouldn't take Jackson over Bamba. I see Jackson as a much more athletic player in virtually every aspect of the game and his offensive potential is much higher, imo. Unlike the choice between Ayton, Bagley, and Jackson, it's easy for me to cross Bamba off my list.

Thanks so much for the clarity Capt. !

But I think Vlade needs to check out all potential trades with the 3-7 picks , depending on who ends up avail at each pick.

If we end up with Luka at #2 we might get a real good offer from teams 3-7 to get a real good pick plus a 2019 pick or a starter player

Of course there is so much out there on Luka dropping in the draft, he may not have a big value on a trade down
but if no home run offers Im ok just keeping Luka . Oh thats a No on Mo Bamba also

Kingster

Hall of Famer
He's offensively offensive, or maybe it's offensively inoffensive, I don't know which. He has to check all his parts before receiving the ball under the basket and then he brings the ball down to waist level and finally (hopefully) gets it up to the basket. He's going to need a LOT of work on his offensive game, and in the meantime opposing teams will go small and Bamba will have to guard guys out on the 3 point line, making him as vulnerable as a big duck in a small pond.

if the front office personnel can't afford to be patient for some of these players to pan out then they won't be here long anyway. An NBA rebuild can happen quickly if you get lucky and get a star or two, if you don't, then you have to take a few seasons to mold them into solid NBA players. This talk about the team expected to improve "significantly" is just not realistic right now unless Vlade sways a trade for an impact player and even then, it takes some time to grow team chemistry, team concepts, style of play, etc. The Kings all ready have a plethora of young players so if they don't have a pick for next season, it's not the demise of the rebuild, unless it lands in the top 3 and even then it's not certain that the player selected will pan out. Too many scenarios to play out here. The Kings need to stay the course and let this play out how it may while continuing to stock pile on assets and draft picks if possible.
Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I expect the team to show significant improvement this year. The core has played together for an year now (some longer), and should be familiar with the system by now. True, chemistry can take years to develop, but the biggest gains will come in the early years, as the players understand the system, as well as each other's strengths and weaknesses. Among the 3 rookies we add this year, Giles has been with the team for an year. While technically a rookie, he again is expected to know the playbook, and should have some established chemistry with the team. If we add Luka, we are not only strengthening our biggest position of need, but also adding another rookie who will be expected to contribute right away (much like Bogi last year). So yes, I expect the team, even without adding an impact player via trade/FA, to show significant improvement this year, and will consider the season a loss if that doesn't turn out to be the case. Maybe the optimism is misplaced. Time will tell.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I wouldn't say they're statements, but the FO is clearly using the media side of the org to send signals to other GMs. Which I suppose is smart, I'm sure Vlade doesn't want any backlash for trading down from 2 after we were lucky enough to land there in the first place. It's just getting a little tough to breathe with all this smoke lately!

I wouldn't freak out if we trade down btw. Just about everyone in the top 5 has multi-allstar potential, with various warts. If Vlade can get a decent haul of assets from a team desperate for Doncic, more power to him!
We'll agree to disagree. That's just not how they do things.

If it's an all interview team we are after Bamba is my man. I would love to hear post playoff game reports with him and Fox.
Iv'e liked Bamba for a while now mainly for his smarts, Ivy League offers, but feel this will translate to the court and in time he will impress.
Bring him in for workouts along with some of the other top prospects Vlade and get this right.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I expect the team to show significant improvement this year. The core has played together for an year now (some longer), and should be familiar with the system by now. True, chemistry can take years to develop, but the biggest gains will come in the early years, as the players understand the system, as well as each other's strengths and weaknesses. Among the 3 rookies we add this year, Giles has been with the team for an year. While technically a rookie, he again is expected to know the playbook, and should have some established chemistry with the team. If we add Luka, we are not only strengthening our biggest position of need, but also adding another rookie who will be expected to contribute right away (much like Bogi last year). So yes, I expect the team, even without adding an impact player via trade/FA, to show significant improvement this year, and will consider the season a loss if that doesn't turn out to be the case. Maybe the optimism is misplaced. Time will tell.
what would you consider significant improvement?

I'd like to know why Joshouas post above remains while my response back is deleted. Earlier in this thread theres mention of insults directed at fans that like Bamba. I like Bamba and have for some time, watch the interview, he's so tuned in it's off the charts. He also has intriguing skill sets. Still, none of what Iv'e said suggest he's who I would draft at least until workouts are complete.
I hope Vlade is open to possibilities other than Donic unlike some posters here. At least please keep your "smh" to yourselves on non Donic threads.
If I'm out of line will a moderator let me know. I feel I am respectful on these boards and enjoy many a fans insights. If double standards are excepted then I'm happily out of here. Iv'e been a kings fan too long to spoil that now.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
yeah 40 would be great. but i'm secretly hoping for above .500 (but i will not be disappointed if they don't reach that :) )
I feel like a 10 win improvement is asking a lot and yet that's the range I was predicting before our lotto luck. I just don't want my expectations to jump because I am ok if our rook struggles out of the gate. The important thing is getting the pick right. I don't want another ROY performance only to have the guy not be top 5 in his class 4 years later. I think that's one of the things people don't consider with this last draft. In 2-3 seasons Mitchell may still be great but he may have been surpassed by others and it shouldn't surprise anyone.

Centers playing 20-25mpg in the playoffs with everyone going small. Bamba wouldn’t even hurt us if we put Fox on him taking a old school center like him top 5 will be a a massive mistake for whoever does it

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'd like to know why Joshouas post above remains while my response back is deleted. Earlier in this thread theres mention of insults directed at fans that like Bamba. I like Bamba and have for some time, watch the interview, he's so tuned in it's off the charts. He also has intriguing skill sets. Still, none of what Iv'e said suggest he's who I would draft at least until workouts are complete.
I hope Vlade is open to possibilities other than Donic unlike some posters here. At least please keep your "smh" to yourselves on non Donic threads.
If I'm out of line will a moderator let me know. I feel I am respectful on these boards and enjoy many a fans insights. If double standards are excepted then I'm happily out of here. Iv'e been a kings fan too long to spoil that now.
Please check your "conversations."

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Now we want guys cause they interview well smh
We're just trying to consider every angle possible. If a guy sounds like he's got a good head on his shoulders that could speak well of his willingness to improve and his ability to set goals for himself and come up with a plan to achieve them. It's a small part of the big picture but not something I would just dismiss.

Also, I made reference to this elsewhere but the idea that Bamba is only being looked at as a top 5 pick because of his wingspan is so wrong-headed that's it makes it difficult for me to take anything else you say seriously. I feel like you mean it in a sarcastic way but I also think it's fair to point out that there are players in almost every draft with exceptional size who flat out can't play and while someone might draft them at some point they're not talked about as top 5 picks. If you're not at all interested in taking a minimum amount of time to even watch him play, why bother commenting at all? I don't see how these kinds of comments contribute anything to the discussion. He's certainly not the most skilled player in the draft but he knows how to play basketball. The question for us is if we can afford to pass on all these other prospects to bet on his potential. Even if the answer is no we can still appreciate what makes him unique and interesting as a prospect.

I'm already on record as preferring Doncic and then Ayton in that order. I have no bias here other than I want whatever is best for the Kings and I will admit that I can't see the future and don't know which of these players is going to end up having the best career. The draft is some time away and the Kings haven't had a pick this high in 29 years. So what if people want to discuss all possible options? We're not the ones making the pick anyway we're just here to talk ball.

We're just trying to consider every angle possible. If a guy sounds like he's got a good head on his shoulders that could speak well of his willingness to improve and his ability to set goals for himself and come up with a plan to achieve them. It's a small part of the big picture but not something I would just dismiss.

Also, I made reference to this elsewhere but the idea that Bamba is only being looked at as a top 5 pick because of his wingspan is so wrong-headed that's it makes it difficult for me to take anything else you say seriously. I feel like you mean it in a sarcastic way but I also think it's fair to point out that there are players in almost every draft with exceptional size who flat out can't play and while someone might draft them at some point they're not talked about as top 5 picks. If you're not at all interested in taking a minimum amount of time to even watch him play, why bother commenting at all? I don't see how these kinds of comments contribute anything to the discussion. He's certainly not the most skilled player in the draft but he knows how to play basketball. The question for us is if we can afford to pass on all these other prospects to bet on his potential. Even if the answer is no we can still appreciate what makes him unique and interesting as a prospect.

I'm already on record as preferring Doncic and then Ayton in that order. I have no bias here other than I want whatever is best for the Kings and I will admit that I can't see the future and don't know which of these players is going to end up having the best career. The draft is some time away and the Kings haven't had a pick this high in 29 years. So what if people want to discuss all possible options? We're not the ones making the pick anyway we're just here to talk ball.
I don’t think anything that I player says in an interview should be part of a evaluating process. Unless it was something outlandish

I guess you can call me closed minded but the only angle I’ll consider is Doncic, Ayton, Bagley in that order.

Also I just don’t see the massive potential in Bamba that is talked about I think he’ll be a good defender/rebounder. But I don’t know about all world defender I think Jackson will be a more impactful defender cause he can guard the perimeter.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don’t think anything that I player says in an interview should be part of a evaluating process. Unless it was something outlandish

I guess you can call me closed minded but the only angle I’ll consider is Doncic, Ayton, Bagley in that order.

Also I just don’t see the massive potential in Bamba that is talked about I think he’ll be a good defender/rebounder. But I don’t know about all world defender I think Jackson will be a more impactful defender cause he can guard the perimeter.
I think you missed the point on Bamba. All jiimbob seemed to be saying was that Bamba gets it, he's articulate and tuned in to the game. Capt. made a comment above about people insulting those who like Bamba. I concur with my esteemed colleague. Since you're only willing to consider Doncic, Ayton and Bagley, why not just let those who haven't made up their minds discuss Mo and any other player not on your list?

We can all get along, you know.

I thought a lot of the big men interviewed really well. Wendell Carter talked about trimming down a bit so he can become a modern center that can move his feet and switch on smaller players. A lot of these guys seem to get it.
With frequent mention of Basketball IQ or lack of, I enjoy the interview process. Maybe it helps guage a players apptitude to adjust on the court. I agree it does seem a lot of these kids are switched on.
Also having two of my three kids the same age as half these players entering the draft I just enjoy hearing their perspective on basketball as well as life.

With frequent mention of Basketball IQ or lack of, I enjoy the interview process. Maybe it helps guage a players apptitude to adjust on the court. I agree it does seem a lot of these kids are switched on.
Also having two of my three kids the same age as half these players entering the draft I just enjoy hearing their perspective on basketball as well as life.
Listening to a player speak, and even analyzing there facial, eye, and body expressions, on top of what they say and how they say it, is kinda big for me. It's what sold me on OG who went on to be a starter on a 59 win team in his rookie season.

I am with you on the interviews.:)

If Bamba's to fall, trading down a few spots and acquiring a 2019 1st rd pick and Mo is my personal dream scenario (plus Kevin Huerter in the 2nd rd). That being said if the Kings take him 2nd that works too.

I have mo as the #1 playerr in this draft, and have for months. He is the best shotblocker in the nextt 5 drafts. He's a franchise big. John Calipari used to recruit him and call him the next anthony davis.Drafting Mo would pay huge dividends down the line.

WCS is plenty athletic to play PF, Skal and Giles are kindatweeners Mo fits, theres a chance he can develop his shot too .

Mo is oozing talent. Ive seen him outplay ayton in aau. He's gonna be the long arm of the law, the Kings defense is bad and Mo's got game changing defensive potential.

He's smart as a whip, knows computer programming he's from Harlem and is a wise young man, he's alock to make huge $$$ in the modern nba

Its a defensive and therefore unsexy pick but the Kings defense is bad and Doncic wont help vs top western conference sf's. Rather than try to outscore teams like the rockets and warriors they can try and control the boards and paint.

Bamba's got big potential on the offensive glass too, this doesnt get highlited enough.

Too much is madee about his weight too, he's got broad shoulders anhd will fill out nicely by his mid 20's. Much better build than Bol Bol.

Last edited: