MLB Thread - 2022

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Dusty was managing the Cubs back when I still gave a **** about baseball, so I'm happy that he finally got one but, yeah, **** the Astros and the whole state of Texas.

Congrats to Dusty. Can’t think of a manager that has endured more postseason heartbreak than him. Game 6/Russ Ortiz game ball, Bartman, 1st place Washington teams getting bounced in the first round. Glad he finally won it all.

Lol Farhan giving Joc a 20mil qualifying offer. (He accepted)
I mean, assuming this is IN ADDITION to a few major spends, then this is a no brainer. If he walked, we get a pick. And if he stays, we keep by far our best hitter from last season without having to commit a long-term deal to a dude turning 30 coming off a career season.

I've been a giant Farhan supporter on essentially everything he's done, but he's got to start throwing some money around and using the Giants budget to get an elite (or two) talent to sign here. Can't just keep trying to win on the fringes and expect to keep up.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I mean, assuming this is IN ADDITION to a few major spends, then this is a no brainer. If he walked, we get a pick. And if he stays, we keep by far our best hitter from last season without having to commit a long-term deal to a dude turning 30 coming off a career season.

I've been a giant Farhan supporter on essentially everything he's done, but he's got to start throwing some money around and using the Giants budget to get an elite (or two) talent to sign here. Can't just keep trying to win on the fringes and expect to keep up.
I don’t want to spend this offseason. Spend it on Ohtani next year or Soto the following. Judge is not only a late-contract money pit, he doesn’t help us compete for anything higher than 3rd place. No thank you. It really just makes me salty they didn’t try just that little bit harder for Harper a few seasons back.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I realize Aaron Judge had a historic season and plays for the Yankees so it was basically a foregone conclusion that he would win, but there's no arguing that Shohei Ohtani wasn't the Most Valuable Player in MLB last season. He was a top 10 hitter and a top 5 pitcher in the same season -- that's absolutely insane.

SLAB

Hall of Famer

Giants fan going crazy like they don’t remember the guy is from NorCal and might just be visiting family.
The Giants have had “multiple productive meetings” and are preparing to make an offer.

And I’m over here just hoping he’s using us to leverage NY. I can’t say I don’t want him because it will be exciting … But he won’t make this team any better than 3rd place, and the chance of him being one of the biggest albatrosses in baseball history down the line is very possible.

Save it for the Ohtani or Soto sweepstakes.

Judge and Nimmo please and thank you.

Nimmo would be a more typical target for us. Elite defensively, super good bat control, takes a bunch of walks, doesn't strike out, becomes our lead-off hitter.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
IF this happens…. Don’t get me wrong, it’s going to be super exciting for awhile. But I’m thinking in 5 years when Judge is 36 and breaking down, still having half a massive contract to go… and we won’t attempt to sign the future comparison of Bryce Harper because we have Judge for 50 mil for the next half decade.

and I really don’t think Judge makes us competitive with LA and SD, especially with Rodon almost assuredly gone.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
IF this happens…. Don’t get me wrong, it’s going to be super exciting for awhile. But I’m thinking in 5 years when Judge is 36 and breaking down, still having half a massive contract to go… and we won’t attempt to sign the future comparison of Bryce Harper because we have Judge for 50 mil for the next half decade.

and I really don’t think Judge makes us competitive with LA and SD, especially with Rodon almost assuredly gone.
Yeah, I get you. My friend's daughters went to high school with him in Linden, so I'd like to see him as a Giant due to the "local boy done good" factor, but there are definitely some concerns with such a long-term contract....

hrdboild

Hall of Famer

On the other hand, if a player who just had a 10 WAR season wants to play for you, how can you afford not to sign them? Yes he's pretty one-dimensional but his worst full season at the plate so far was an OPS+ of 143 and the NL now has a DH so he can play into his late thirties without killing your defense. As a fan of a team that nobody wants to play for, I'd be counting my lucky stars that a player of that caliber is actually courting you. And you would steal him from the Yankees and show those fans what it feels like when an MVP in their prime becomes someone else's MVP which is just good for baseball. (Totally unbiased take)

SO... I think I'm more excited about Judge potentially going to the Giants than anything happening in Oakland that doesn't involve shovels in the ground.

I mean, just the wrong way to view this.

Giants have the ability to be one of the biggest spending teams in the league. We aren't the A's, we aren't the Rays. Time to start throwing some of that money around. And while Judge very likely won't be worth this contract the last 3-4 years of the deal, the fact we now have the DH to at least mitigate that age by not having to play him in the field. He's such a consistently great hitter to both Righties and Lefties, I'd be surprised if he weren't still at least an average hitter in his late 30's.

You just don't say no when an MVP is considering signing with your team. Especially when we basically have no long-term salary commitment or even anyone close to needing a massive extension. (Webb 3 years from now the closest?) We're trying to win; adding a Judge talent is easily the best way to do that.

On the other hand, if a player who just had a 10 WAR season wants to play for you, how can you afford not to sign them? Yes he's pretty one-dimensional but his worst full season at the plate so far was an OPS+ of 143 and the NL now has a DH so he can play into his late thirties without killing your defense. As a fan of a team that nobody wants to play for, I'd be counting my lucky stars that a player of that caliber is actually courting you. And you would steal him from the Yankees and show those fans what it feels like when an MVP in their prime becomes someone else's MVP which is just good for baseball. (Totally unbiased take)

SO... I think I'm more excited about Judge potentially going to the Giants than anything happening in Oakland that doesn't involve shovels in the ground.
Bingo. All of this.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
So the A's hilariously dropped 4 spots in the first ever MLB draft lottery from #2 to #6... but that puts them in range to draft the guy I want anyway, Enrique Bradfield. Any time the A's have a chance to draft someone with Rickey Henderson speed that player always becomes my #1 draft crush.

I can’t wait for the Hanigar, David Peralta, Brandon Crawford middle of the lineup.
I mean, healthy Haniger immediately becomes our best hitter, so it's hard to complain about that level upgrade. But man, when we have the cash to get a Correa and/or a Judge... Definitely would be salty if he's the best acquisition of the off-season

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Bullet dodged. We weren’t Judge and Hanigar away from competing. & The back half of that contract is going to suck.

I can’t wait to be silver medal for both Ohtani and Soto in the coming offseasons too! Hell, even Correa in this one!

Last edited:
Giants need to build a championship team how they did before. The farm. They haven’t been drafting and scouting well for over a decade now.

There’s Logan Webb and he was the first one since like Joe Panik.

the Dodgers seem to sell the farm every other year for a star that they can’t sign outright and then 2 years later that have a bunch of top performing prospects again.

Giants couldn’t even lure big time free agents when they were winning championships. They need to get better development. All our best prospects before were up after a year if not less. Now we’re still talking about our best prospects 5 years later and it we’re lucky they are up by age 28.

Giants have the analytics down. They seem to have the Dodgers knack for finding good guys for cheap..but they need to be better drafting and international signing.

Bullet dodged. We weren’t Judge and Hanigar away from competing. & The back half of that contract is going to suck.

I can’t wait to be silver medal for both Ohtani and Soto in the coming offseasons too! Hell, even Correa in this one!
Phew!!!!

DODGED.
A.
BULLET.

or...

DODGED.
A.
MILLION.
BULLETS.

Either way...

We, well, DODGED.