MLB Thread - 2022

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I'm pretty sure this is just an evergreen tweet for the A's at this point. He had a ton of Team control still too right?
Yeah but to be fair to the A’s in this particular case, they have like three other stud catching prospects in their system including Shea Langeliers who looked like an absolute stud at times in his first MLB action. I just kinda wish the A’s got something a little better for their last big trade chip.

dude12

Hall of Famer
The A’s prospects they got back have been kind of downgraded even before this deal. Miller’s star was on a downward turn, Esteury is a version of Pasche it appears with less D but more OB % but question marks, Tarnok may be the best prospect.

It seems like they love going for the quantity over quality when making these deals which I get but they are missing on the prospects now as opposed to years ago when they would sustain a high level of team performance because they were hitting on the returns they were getting. You miss on a couple of these deals and all of the sudden the cupboard is bare.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
you want Carlos Rodon?

You get Sean Manaea and Ross Stripling and you’ll like it!!!

Once again…. Totally okay with it though. Paying a usually chronically injured 30+ year old starter 30 million a year for 6 seasons off of one career season is silly. Would much rather go the Verlander/Scherzer route.

Last edited:
Farhan is the absolute goat at these value contracts. Stripling the exact kind of dude we make into a stud. He finally stayed healthy last year after 2 years of injuries, was damn good.

Wouldn't surprise me if he's a BP long man for us. He doesn't go very deep anymore. But if he continues on last season, great deal

dude12

Hall of Famer
There is an absolute path for Farhan to deliver a winning free agency and that path is Correa. Even if he lands Swanson and then delivers one of the left handed swinging OF hitters, that can still be a winning free agency.

I’m at the point that maybe he signs Swanson, don’t think it will happen, and then trades for Reynolds as an avenue.

I think the Stripling and Manaea signings were tremendous but must deliver a big bat.

There is an absolute path for Farhan to deliver a winning free agency and that path is Correa. Even if he lands Swanson and then delivers one of the left handed swinging OF hitters, that can still be a winning free agency.

I’m at the point that maybe he signs Swanson, don’t think it will happen, and then trades for Reynolds as an avenue.

I think the Stripling and Manaea signings were tremendous but must deliver a big bat.
Yep. I get he never wants to overpay, but he's also got to start throwing around the Giants ability to have a budget a bit. Especially with the way all the contenders spend now, you're just not going to be able to value-town a world series. You need the expensive impact players as well

SLAB

Hall of Famer
The path to winning is actually trading these assets at the deadline. I don’t care if Rodon only returns a mid-tier lottery ticket prospect last season. You know who was once a lottery ticket? Tatis Jr.

Yeah, it’s extremely unlikely but it’s better than nothing!

The path to winning is actually trading these assets at the deadline. I don’t care if Rodon only returns a mid-tier lottery ticket prospect last season. You know who was once a lottery ticket? Tatis Jr.

Yeah, it’s extremely unlikely but it’s better than nothing!
Tough to say. Everyone knows Rodon is a rental, so does anyone shell out for him? Is that better than the comp pick?

dude12

Hall of Famer
With the way this team drafts, probably.
I’ll say that Zaidi had a plan working, platoon, stocking the farm system, making smart signings, etc

But last year it went fubar. Posey retired, Crawford, Belt, Wade all regressed by a country mile, the bullpen imploded and then the expected bump from the minors just hasn’t happened.

There are a crap ton of arms in the minors who have great numbers but they aren’t materializing at the mlb level, almost all of their top prospects except for Kyle Harrison regressed. Heliot, P Bailey, Wilson, etc. Luciano got injured.

I’d like to see a few minor leaguers actually help

Here's the thing. The Giants literally have no salary commitments whatsoever. Haniger is 2 years+player option, Flores is 2 years+player option

Joc, Crawford, Wood, La Stella all come off the books next year. Stripling and Manaea both have player opt-outs. Cobb has a club option. And in terms of guys we have to pay anytime soon? Webb is the only guys relatively close with 3 more years of Arb left. J.D Davis and Slate have 2 years of Arb left. Ty Rogers 3 years left, Wade 3 years left.

Yeah, it'll suck paying 40 year old Correa, but who cares? That's 12 years down the road.The Giants can afford it and he's going to be an awesome player for a good chunk of this contract. You win with players like Correra

They're very very much in play for Ohtani next off-season.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
well this is certainly a trade but how did the A’s not get a single top 100 prospect back for Sean Murphy?
The A's have completely lost the plot at this point. Sean Murphy was a top 5 player in baseball at his position, a gold glove defender, the best hitter on the team (not that that's saying much with who's left) and they basically said "we'll take whatever we can get for him" like he was damaged goods. It's the same thing we saw last year with Matt Chapman except that Sean Murphy hasn't even started his first year of arbitration yet. He's three years away from being a free agent and this one is especially sad for me because Sean Murphy is one of like 3 players I've scouted before the draft and thought "I really hope we get this guy" and the A's actually picked him. Absolutely brutal that they traded him three years too early to Atlanta because Atlanta gave us their top catcher prospect in the Matt Olson trade a year ago. Why even pretend to care at this point? Best case scenario is Langaliers becomes as good as Murphy is now before the A's trade him for some B level prospects to keep the payroll clean.

This is Maloofian level dismantling going on in Oakland and it's sad to see. Two years ago this was a team that could have won a world series but the owner, despite being a billionaire, won't even spend the minimum amount needed to be competitive. The Oakland A's are the first team I ever fell in love with. I've been watching them since I was 8 or 9 years old and I'm not sure I would care anymore if they leave. I'm tired of them pleading poor while they play in one of the biggest media markets in the world.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Woke up and BAM! Zaidi finally delivers a guy. These contracts are crazy money but I guess that’s what it takes now, it’s not my money.

Now get the next guy

Giants are going to have some real interesting LU decisions. Just a bunch more depth, especially if La Stella can ever get healthy and start playing again vs RH. Probably the only guys who are locked into an everyday role are Correa, Haniger, Thairo and Bart