MLB Thread - 2022

Welp! While I am super excited that baseball is almost back, what I am NOT excited about follows...

1. DH in the National League
2. Expanded postseason (I used to like it when there were only 4 teams, although I lived with 5, and the 1 game wild card actually grew on me at the end of the day.)

Let's go GIGANTES!!!

Has anyone seen the details yet? Are they actually going to ban the shift?
From what I've read, that was one of the proposed rule changes made a few days ago. Whether that spilled over into the current agreement has yet to be revealed. But it looks like if an agreement were to be made, that rule would definitely be implemented. So, I'd basically expect to see it be banned at this point.

Sounds like they went back to the old extra innings format instead of putting a man on 2nd. Thank goodness. I'm not a huge baseball guy but that just never seemed like a solution to a problem.
Oh, I haven't read that anywhere (not yet, at least), but I trust that your words are truthful. And that makes the little baseball fan in me extremely happy :):):) That was the DUMBEST rule ever. So stupid.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Oh, I haven't read that anywhere (not yet, at least), but I trust that your word(s) are truthful. And that makes the little baseball fan in me extremely happy :):):) That was the DUMBEST rule ever. So stupid.
Don't quote me on that, but I thought I saw a tweet about that earlier today.

Edit - probably not the Tweet I saw originally, but here's one:

Don't quote me on that, but I thought I saw a tweet about that earlier today.

Edit - probably not the Tweet I saw originally, but here's one:

The following essentially tells me that it is official :) :) :) :)

Thursday afternoon is one of rejoicing, as the months-long, acrimonious MLB lockout has finally come to a conclusion.

Depending on one’s level of baseball fan purity, there is either excitement or dread to learn that a couple of pandemic-era MLB rule changes are reverting back to what they were before 2020.

According to ESPN’s Jesse Rogers, doubleheaders will return to nine-inning games apiece, and extra innings will no longer start with a runner on second base.
https://nypost.com/2022/03/10/expanded-playoffs-doubleheaders-new-mlb-rules-as-lockout-ends/

Note: Please let me know if the above format is not acceptable when quoting an article

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Banning shifts is STUPID but if it takes that to get rid of the phantom runner and 7 inning double headers.., then it’s a sacrifice I’m willing to accept.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Also; I completely forgot Kris Bryant even existed until I saw tweets today. I know the Giants have infinite money if they want to spend it, but I’d rather them stay away from Bryant. Or at least do not pay him like a superstar because he absolutely isn’t one.

I’m on the Seiya Suzuki wagon,

Banning shifts is STUPID but if it takes that to get rid of the phantom runner and 7 inning double headers.., then it’s a sacrifice I’m willing to accept.
Yeah I'll take one dumb thing if we get 3 great things (NL DH, phantom runner, 7-inning double headers)

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Both dudes had pretty similar years last year, but it's VERY appealing not having to pay Gausman in his age 34/35 seasons a bunch of money while we're hopefully getting 2 of Rodon's prime years. And getting a lefty compliment to Webb up top matters too.
I didn’t believe in Gausman at all. Dude was nearly useless when the splitter didn’t work.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Sigh. I knew Olson was getting traded, but it still hurts. The return looks huge though. If Pache lives up to his billing as an 80 grade CF he'll be fun to watch for the next 4 years in Oakland. I hope we at least get to keep Chapman another year. He's going to put it all together soon and I'd prefer he has his first MVP caliber season here instead of in Toronto or New York.

Sigh. I knew Olson was getting traded, but it still hurts. The return looks huge though. If Pache lives up to his billing as an 80 grade CF he'll be fun to watch for the next 4 years in Oakland. I hope we at least get to keep Chapman another year. He's going to put it all together soon and I'd prefer he has his first MVP caliber season here instead of in Toronto or New York.
It's crazy the A's ownership is still this cheap after all these years. Makes a winning window so small for the A's as they almost never get to reap the benefits of their good young talent hitting their prime.

Olson JUST figured out his strikeout problem last year too and was a pretty clear all-star caliber bat.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
It's crazy the A's ownership is still this cheap after all these years. Makes a winning window so small for the A's as they almost never get to reap the benefits of their good young talent hitting their prime.

Olson JUST figured out his strikeout problem last year too and was a pretty clear all-star caliber bat.
Not to mention the last time they traded a player this good before he hit free agency (Josh Donaldson) they got absolutely nothing-- all 4 players busted and Donaldson won the MVP the following season. Prospects are lottery tickets. Best-case scenario they end up being a star like Matt Olson but it's more likely they're just decent Major Leaguers who fill up a position for you. If any other team drafts and develops a player with 40 HR power and Gold Glove defense they sign them to a 10 year contract.

We can only hope this organization starts spending money as soon as a new stadium deal is finalized but I'm not very optimistic. It's been over 3 decades now of the A's being the cheapest organization in MLB despite playing in the 6th largest media market in the country. They don't even have the excuse that they're sharing Oakland with two other teams anymore and they're supposedly getting revenue sharing again with the new CBA. Just sell the damn team to someone who cares already.