MLB Thread - 2022

SLAB

Hall of Famer
A’s trade Chapman now

Cubs sign Suzuki, 5/70

Rodon is nice, but the Giants sitting on their hands instead of getting a bat is kind of infuriating. There absolutely going to regress… Crawford back to the norm, Posey retired, Bryant gone.

Sub 500 is a possibility,

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Kris Bryant to the Rockies.

Like, WTF? Why would the Rockies trade a superior player away for pennies because CHEAP then sign Bryant to big money a season later?!

I’m glad the Giants avoided that, even if I’m otherwise hating their low-key offseason.

Somebody is going to pay Carlos Correa more than Corey Seager just got $325M / 10 yr or possibly more than $340M / 14 yr extension Fernando Tatis signed last season. Reportedly Yankees, Dodgers, Astros, one or two others in play. Giants have Crawford, ok fine. Last year was a fluke, now regressing. A's have aging Andrus after letting Semien walk, pathetic Beane! Sooner they get to Vegas the better as their Oakland fan base totally fed up and know the writing is on the wall.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Somebody is going to pay Carlos Correa more than Corey Seager just got $325M / 10 yr or possibly more than $340M / 14 yr extension Fernando Tatis signed last season. Reportedly Yankees, Dodgers, Astros, one or two others in play. Giants have Crawford, ok fine. Last year was a fluke, now regressing. A's have aging Andrus after letting Semien walk, pathetic Beane! Sooner they get to Veges the better as their Oakland fan base totally fed up and know the writing is on the wall.
Screw that! I was an A's fan long before John Fisher bought the team and I'll still be an A's fan after he cashes out. They can sell everything but the seats for all I care. Sure it makes for a rather miserable fan experience at times, but I'll wait for that joker to up and die if I have to. Vegas can kick rocks.

Farhan taking our horrid starting pitching depth from last season real personal. Not going to be a problem this year. Between Cobb, Boyd and Martinez, i'd be stunned if one of those guys don't pop for a really nice season.

Gotta fix the sticks though. Currently down Posey, Bryant, Solano with only adding Joc, hoping Bart can hit and a healthy La Stella. Right now, the team is putting a TON of faith in 35 year old Crawford/Ruf, 34 year old Belt, 36 year old Longo to keep chugging along when it's pretty likely they'll all regress.

Soler or Castellanos would be a great RH power bat to fill that void.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Belt’s the only hitter I have confidence to have near the same season he had last year. Bart’s such a wildcard, but my hopes aren’t too high.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Story to Boston, 6/140

I wouldn’t have gone near that, so solid non-move. The only non-move I’m especially disappointed about is Suzuki.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Farhan likes gassing up prices and coming in second. Dude has a pattern. I don’t think the Giants will ever see a big, long contract under him.
Was Farhan second place for Bryce Harper? I think the right guy comes along in FA there’s a chance, but it’s not going to be a guy like Trevor Story who has huge holes in his game away from Coors.

as an aside… still bitter they didn’t just add an extra 15 million at Harper. When you’re going 320 million, you can go 335. Lmao

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Giants are probably going to be below 500 this year though. Their offense is rough, and if either of Rodon or Cobb get hurt again? Ooof…

I’m predicting 3rd behind LA (of course) and SD.

Was Farhan second place for Bryce Harper? I think the right guy comes along in FA there’s a chance, but it’s not going to be a guy like Trevor Story who has huge holes in his game away from Coors.

as an aside… still bitter they didn’t just add an extra 15 million at Harper. When you’re going 320 million, you can go 335. Lmao
Yea, Giants came second for Harper. It’s not money. Oracle is damn cash cow. I think Farhan gets a kick gassing up prices and doing just enough to come in second.

Giants are probably going to be below 500 this year though. Their offense is rough, and if either of Rodon or Cobb get hurt again? Ooof…

I’m more optimistic. I think their hitting prospects will finally break through this year. We’ll see.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I’m more optimistic. I think their hitting prospects will finally break through this year. We’ll see.
I have next to no faith in Bart. And I think Ramos (who I like) only gets a cup of coffee. Then Luciano at some point next year.

Kind of an awkward in-between year as the young’s aren’t quite ready and the olds return to earth.

I actually strongly disagree here. Farhan did an excellent job shoring up the SP depth with Cobb, Boyd, Martinez, Junis and still have Beede/Hjelle as more depth. They did excellent upgrading Cueto and now will actually have some options to turn to if someone gets hurt. Unlike last year where they just didn't have a 6th arm they felt comfortable throwing 5 innings.

The offense is a huge concern with likely regression coming for the old guys, but I think the pitching staff got a fairly strong depth upgrade with some real potential talent in Castro/Santos and Doval from the BP.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Martinez and Boyd are potentially guys who can turn it around and offer great depth … they’ve shown in the past they have something to offer but some of these chances/redemption guys Farhan signs are eventually going to flop.

I don’t think Beede makes it out of spring. Out of options, and think he’s too erratic to stash in the bullpen to prevent the DFA. It’s a shame because his pure stuff is filthy he’s just never been able to command it. Shame really.

DiSclafani and Wood are both so hit or miss… Disco looks like an ace one start then gives up 6 the next. Wood looks like an ace through 4 or 5 innings then falls to pieces.

Hopefully Rodon and Cobb stay healthy and it doesn’t matter. We’ll see.