Michael Porter Jr

One thing I like about Porter is his confidence. He's getting a lot of flack for saying that he's the best player in this draft but it's that kind of attitude that is needed on this team.
I think most players are very confident in their ability. Even the scrubs.

Porter can believe and be as confident as he wants, but back trouble beginning in his teens is cause for concern. He's been dealing with the injury for a couple years now. He may very well be 'recovered' according to doctors, but I don't believe taking that risk with #2 is worth it. The Kings can't afford to take that chance IMO.

At #7, it might be worth the risk. But at #2 the team needs to go with more of a sure thing --- whomever that may be.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think I'm starting to like Bagley and Porter more because Doncic's mediocre athleticism and lack of go-to scoring has me very concerned.

It's great that the Kings moved up to #2 but it raises the stakes and makes me more nervous that they'll screw it up.

Not that I think Doncic will bust. I think he's almost certainly a solid NBA player, so he's safe but if other guys become stars and he doesn't it will be a missed opportunity.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I think I'm starting to like Bagley and Porter more because Doncic's mediocre athleticism and lack of go-to scoring has me very concerned.

It's great that the Kings moved up to #2 but it raises the stakes and makes me more nervous that they'll screw it up.

Not that I think Doncic will bust. I think he's almost certainly a solid NBA player, so he's safe but if other guys become stars and he doesn't it will be a missed opportunity.
I agree I think we can turn #2 into porter and future first or other assets. Especially if Ayton goes #1. If doncic goes #1 I think the rest is paper.

Why is porter considered a go to score weak handles and just like Doncic he is an average above average athlete.

Look at this video dude can’t even get to the rim on 1 on 1. Pulls up for mid range shots all the time and looks robotic too. This is embarrassing for an alleged scorer look at what he resorts to vs Dennis Smith

Now look at Smith that’s night and day difference

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why is porter considered a go to score weak handles and just like Doncic he is an average above average athlete.

Look at this video dude can’t even get to the rim on 1 on 1.
At 3:50 he drives his man to the hoop, turns around and dunks on him with two hands. Doncic has never dunked like that as far as I've seen. His all come off a running start.

At the NBA level, Porter is an above average athlete and Doncic is below average. It's one component of their toolbox but athletically they aren't the same.

At 3:50 he drives his man to the hoop, turns around and dunks on him with two hands. Doncic has never dunked like that as far as I've seen. His all come off a running start.

At the NBA level, Porter is an above average athlete and Doncic is below average. It's one component of their toolbox but athletically they aren't the same.
He got to the basket 1-2 times in 1on1 situation that’s pitiful. Yes porter is above average athletically but when your handle is that weak and your body is that stiff you better be a freak athlete if you’re gonna be a 20ppg player

I think his workout's will determine his future in the draft. If he's totally healthy, and performs well in the workouts, he'll probably move up some of the draft boards. I don't pay a lot of attention to chucker rumors when they come from highschool performaces. Most of the top highschool players were the best player on their team, and as a result, they had to carry their team. A lot of bad habits can come from that, or at least bad rumors. The major question is, is he coachable, and if he is, then none of that other stuff applies.

I certainly wouldn't rule him out of the discussion. The Kings have a lot of options right now. I still have this gut feeling that Jaren Jackson is going to be the best player to come out of this draft.
Jaren Jackson would also be a great fit as a stretch four. But like all these guys I want to see if he is addressing his mechanics on his shot. Given his dad played NBA and he had resources you have to wonder why are his mechanics so bad? Is he coachable?

But he clearly has a good shooting eye as the ball goes in with no rotation. He has to be in the conversation and we have had bad luck passing on kids of NBA players.

He got to the basket 1-2 times in 1on1 situation that’s pitiful. Yes porter is above average athletically but when your handle is that weak and your body is that stiff you better be a freak athlete if you’re gonna be a 20ppg player
I didn’t see a weak handle. I saw him turn Dennis Smith Jr around in circles with a cross over. As far as getting to the rim, he was just rising over smaller defenders and he has a sweet J.

It would be such a Kings thing to do to trade down to get Porter.
I'm still a big fan of MPJ. What if he comes in for a workout, does great, and his medicals look good too? If MPJ was the Kings pick at #2, but also knew 100% that teams between 3-5 weren't going to pick him, why not trade down for him while picking up another asset? Comparable to what Boston did last year. Remember, everyone thought Fultz was the consensus #1 pick going to Boston. He was supposedly a lock. However, now, we know that wasn't the case at all. Boston was beating that drum to make Philly trade up for him..

You really have to explore all your options with this #2 pick. We can't get it wrong.

I'm still a big fan of MPJ. What if he comes in for a workout, does great, and his medicals look good too? If MPJ was the Kings pick at #2, but also knew 100% that teams between 3-5 weren't going to pick him, why not trade down for him while picking up another asset? Comparable to what Boston did last year. Remember, everyone thought Fultz was the consensus #1 pick going to Boston. He was supposedly a lock. However, now, we know that wasn't the case at all. Boston was beating that drum to make Philly trade up for him..

You really have to explore all your options with this #2 pick. We can't get it wrong.
Anybody is looking good in workouts you’re literally just shooting vs a chair

Not true. Some guys do good, others bomb. Workouts are important in the NBA. Giovny from DX said in a recent podcast that they had Donovan Mitchell at #21 until his private workout that wow'd them. They immediately moved him up to #12.

In a private setting, you're able to test guys differently. Challenge them in ways they weren't in games. Shooting drills help evaluate a player's shot too. Some guys actually end up changing them at the end of the course, and it's important to get a feel for where they're at.

I think most players are very confident in their ability. Even the scrubs.

Porter can believe and be as confident as he wants, but back trouble beginning in his teens is cause for concern. He's been dealing with the injury for a couple years now. He may very well be 'recovered' according to doctors, but I don't believe taking that risk with #2 is worth it. The Kings can't afford to take that chance IMO.

At #7, it might be worth the risk. But at #2 the team needs to go with more of a sure thing --- whomever that may be.
He dominated and was the #1 recruit in the nation with an injury. I think it's going to come down to what we see in the workouts. No one thought Giles would get drafted by us but we fell in love and now we hear all the whispers of how great he is. (fingers crossed) If Luka doesn't have a private workout for us then he should be off our board because we've been bitten in the a** too many times for blindly drafting "can't miss prospects!" Bottom line is this draft is loaded and we need to get our hands on all these guys. IMO Porter, Ayton, Bagley, and Jackson all have higher ceilings than Luka and I'd rather roll the dice because in the NBA Superstars win Championships.

Not true. Some guys do good, others bomb. Workouts are important in the NBA. Giovny from DX said in a recent podcast that they had Donovan Mitchell at #21 until his private workout that wow'd them. They immediately moved him up to #12.

In a private setting, you're able to test guys differently. Challenge them in ways they weren't in games. Shooting drills help evaluate a player's shot too. Some guys actually end up changing them at the end of the course, and it's important to get a feel for where they're at.
Private workouts is why Harry is on our team so I'm not sure what gave you that impression. I sure wish we worked out Thomas Robinson before we drafted him. smh

With a lack of information about what kind of player MPJ is today, and with uncertainties about his long-term durability, I don’t think you can roll the dice on him if you’re the Kings. Too much is at stake with this pick. If they owned their 2019 first rounder, then sure, you could look at trading down to snag Porter. But this rebuild needs to yield a star talent sooner rather than later, and if I’m in the Kings’ front office, I’d rather not put all my faith in Harry Giles’ knee and Michael Porter Jr’s back.

I think it’s gotta be Ayton or Bagley at #2, and I’m warming to the idea of Doncic as I read and watch more about him. Maybe Porter turns into another Jason Tatum, in which case I’d feel pretty silly. But I’m rather risk averse when it comes to banking on that with no first round pick as a safety valve in 2019. This years’ pick needs to count.

Th
With a lack of information about what kind of player MPJ is today, and with uncertainties about his long-term durability, I don’t think you can roll the dice on him if you’re the Kings. Too much is at stake with this pick. If they owned their 2019 first rounder, then sure, you could look at trading down to snag Porter. But this rebuild needs to yield a star talent sooner rather than later, and if I’m in the Kings’ front office, I’d rather not put all my faith in Harry Giles’ knee and Michael Porter Jr’s back.

I think it’s gotta be Ayton or Bagley at #2, and I’m warming to the idea of Doncic as I read and watch more about him. Maybe Porter turns into another Jason Tatum, in which case I’d feel pretty silly. But I’m rather risk averse when it comes to banking on that with no first round pick as a safety valve in 2019. This years’ pick needs to count.
The Kings will have the ability to see him in individual workouts most likely so it won’t be drafting him completely sight unseen. Those workouts will be key for him.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
This attention is a favor to Porter’s agency, who also represents some interesting guys who might be available via trade this offseason like Hayward and Beal.
Hayward all ready? Don't you think the Celtics at least want to see what he can do with a healthy team and Irving before putting him up for trade?

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member

I agree 100% they can't get this wrong but if they work everybody out and determine he is the BPA and his medical was of no concern then I'd be bummed we didn't take him out of some fear of being second guessed.

I say this with a pretty firm belief that I really, really don't think that is likely to be the case.

I really like Porter. I'm just concerned about his back issues.

While I think taking him #2 is a big gamble, I'd be totally OK with the Kings somehow acquiring a pick later in the top 10 to get him. Hence the Cleveland #8 trade thread I created. As many have pointed out, that kind of deal is unlikely. But I'd be for it because I think Porter could be a super good player at a position of need.

I really like Porter. I'm just concerned about his back issues.

While I think taking him #2 is a big gamble, I'd be totally OK with the Kings somehow acquiring a pick later in the top 10 to get him. Hence the Cleveland #8 trade thread I created. As many have pointed out, that kind of deal is unlikely. But I'd be for it because I think Porter could be a super good player at a position of need.
If his back checks out he won’t fall past 4 or maybe 3. If his back has red flags you wouldn’t want him anyway.

Joshoua's concerns about Porter's handle and his inability to get to the rim are for real. The ball would get slapped away easily if he tried some of those moves from that clip on an NBA court. His penchant for pulling up for contested 16 footers isn't something that makes most of us giddy either. I mean you want your #1 scorer to be able to hit those shots at an above average clip but you want him to be able to get to the rim and get to the line with regularity as well.

Just remember that Jayson Tatum had a lot of the same concerns coming out of college and we had some very similar discussions about him last year. Most here didn't want Tatum because they thought he was going to be a poor mans Carmelo and just pull up for contested midrange shots all game. They didn't think he would be able to get to the rim with any sort of regularity. After watching him for a year, it's pretty clear that this guy is a complete player.

MPJ is pretty similar except he's supposed to be better at the things that Tatum was good at in college. The two biggest differences are his injury and the fact that Tatum had a much more NBA ready body than MPJ.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joshoua's concerns about Porter's handle and his inability to get to the rim are for real. The ball would get slapped away easily if he tried some of those moves from that clip on an NBA court. His penchant for pulling up for contested 16 footers isn't something that makes most of us giddy either. I mean you want your #1 scorer to be able to hit those shots at an above average clip but you want him to be able to get to the rim and get to the line with regularity as well.

Just remember that Jayson Tatum had a lot of the same concerns coming out of college and we had some very similar discussions about him last year. Most here didn't want Tatum because they thought he was going to be a poor mans Carmelo and just pull up for contested midrange shots all game. They didn't think he would be able to get to the rim with any sort of regularity. After watching him for a year, it's pretty clear that this guy is a complete player.

MPJ is pretty similar except he's supposed to be better at the things that Tatum was good at in college. The two biggest differences are his injury and the fact that Tatum had a much more NBA ready body than MPJ.
Tatum and Porter Jr have some definite similarities but some significant differences too.

I'd say Tatum came out with a tighter handle, better footwork in the post, and was a better/more willing passer. Porter essentially missed all of his freshman year so this is projecting a bit but I'd say he's a better run/jump athlete, a better shooter from long distance, and a better finisher in traffic at the rim.

You see some differences in how they score too. Porter uses a lot more hesi or hang dribbles into jumpers while Tatum used his jab step and threat to drive to open up space for his midrange jumper. Tatum liked catching the ball at the elbow or wing and going to work on his opponent (his game adapted quite a bit under Stevens in Boston) while Porter prefers to catch from beyond three and either attack the basket or pull-up for the shot. Overall I'd say Porter comes in with a reputation as a better shooter while Tatum was a more polished all around scorer.

Part of why Tatum went high was that GMs had no concerns about his work ethic or drive either. I'm not saying there are issues with Porter on either count, just that I don't know.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Are you serious? In that first video he was being guarded by shorter, quicker players, so he did what he should have done, shot the ball over them. Why don't you show me some video of him being guarded by a player his own size? Then you point out how Dennis Smith took his man off the dribble. Really? Are you comparing the quickness of one of the fastest, quickest PG's in last years draft to Porter? Of course Smith is a better ballhandler and is quicker. So? What the hell is your point?

Go find the highschool all star game where Porter went up against Bagley and out played him. This is a case of you making up your mind, and then trying to find evidence to back it up. What I find ironic is that I heard some of this same nonsense about Tatum last year. Look, if you have doubts about Porter's back, I think that's a legit fear to have. But please don't tell me that he's a poor athlete when I saw him play in high school and he simply dominated every player he came up against. There was a reason he was considered the number one high school player in the nation.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Sometimes that true, but not always. There are cases where the player will be invited along with another player to scrimmage against. I realize that it happens less and less today than it used to, but it isn't written in stone that your going up against a chair.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you serious? In that first video he was being guarded by shorter, quicker players, so he did what he should have done, shot the ball over them. Why don't you show me some video of him being guarded by a player his own size? Then you point out how Dennis Smith took his man off the dribble. Really? Are you comparing the quickness of one of the fastest, quickest PG's in last years draft to Porter? Of course Smith is a better ballhandler and is quicker. So? What the hell is your point?

Go find the highschool all star game where Porter went up against Bagley and out played him. This is a case of you making up your mind, and then trying to find evidence to back it up. What I find ironic is that I heard some of this same nonsense about Tatum last year. Look, if you have doubts about Porter's back, I think that's a legit fear to have. But please don't tell me that he's a poor athlete when I saw him play in high school and he simply dominated every player he came up against. There was a reason he was considered the number one high school player in the nation.
I have questions about Porter's back, his defense, his lower body strength, his playmaking ability/potential but not his scoring. If healthy my big question is whether he becomes a scorer who doesn't contribute elsewhere (*cough* Wiggins *cough*) or becomes a good all-around player.

I have questions about Porter's back, his defense, his lower body strength, his playmaking ability/potential but not his scoring. If healthy my big question is whether he becomes a scorer who doesn't contribute elsewhere (*cough* Wiggins *cough*) or becomes a good all-around player.
I think that's the risk you take with Porter. He should score pretty well when he turns pro, but from what I've read about his defensive awareness is not very good and he could get bullied at the next level without a lot of work.

The bonus with a player like Porter is that you can coach players to get better defensively as long as they work hard and are committed enough. Someone like Wiggins doesn't appear to be that kinda guy.. is Porter someone that will work on his defense and try hard? If he does, that's great for the team that takes him. If he doesn't, he'll end up like Michael Beasley.

At 2 I'd not take the risk, but if there's when Orlando or Chicago are drafting I'd take him.