Mavericks or Spurs?

Mavericks or Spurs?

• Total voters
who do you think will win? series starts tomorrow and though I dislike both teams I am actually rooting for the mavs in this one to beat the Spurs.. who do you think will advance?

i am rooting for the mavs. but i am afraid that the disciple (avery) is not ready to take over his master's place yet. the key will be jason terry; if he sucks big time, all the load will be on devin harris and he might not be able to shoulder it. other than that, i have complete confidence in dirk, howard, stackhouse and dampier who has absolutely surprised me with his playoff performance.

Well I'm not just saying this b/c obviously I'm a diehard Mavs fan but I truly feel like this is the year we over take the Spurs. The Spurs look old and tired.

These 'rats' have bonded
By Mercedes Mayer
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

STAR-TELEGRAM/BEN NOEY JR.

Dirk Nowitzki, left, and Jason Terry have become fast friends and an effective one-two punch.

DALLAS -- As competitors sometimes do, Dirk Nowitzki might have let his emotions get the best of him after last year's playoff-ending loss to Phoenix .

Nowitzki all but called out point guard Jason Terry, venting about how the Mavs' "basketball IQ wasn't great" and that they made "stupid mistakes [that] should never happen in the NBA."

Specifically, Nowitzki was speaking of Terry not fouling Steve Nash before he launched a game-tying 3-pointer in Game 6.

Sure, Nowitzki also blamed himself for a poor postseason, and Terry took full credit for his defensive lapse.

Nowitzki and Terry vowed to improve, to be more dedicated and to learn from their mistakes.

Nowitzki and Terry have improved. The bond they formed in the process has been evident. Nowitzki averaged 26.6 points per game in the regular season, his best ever, and Terry's 17.1 points per game were his best in three years.

"Their relationship is strong," Mavs coach Avery Johnson said. "They spend a lot of time in the gym together. They've established a really good bond."

Nowitzki has a reputation of always being the last to leave the gym, hitting shot after shot. Terry has said that he liked growing up in Seattle and going to college in Arizona because Seattle's rain and the Arizona heat forced him to be inside working on his game.

Terry finally found his kindred spirit in Nowitzki, and the two have set the tone and provided an example for the rest of the Mavs. Lately, center Erick Dampier has been joining Nowitzki and Terry for extra time in the gym, Terry said.

"It rubs off big time," guard Darrell Armstrong said. "Not just a little. Big time."

Nowitzki and Terry have been seen on the road taking a taxi to find an open gym. Terry even took Nowitzki to one of his old workout spots in Atlanta earlier in the year.

"After practice every day, I can guarantee you you'll see both of them doing something," Armstrong said. "Then later in the night, they'll be here. All you have to do is put your ear on the wall, you can hear the ball bouncing."

Nowitzki and Terry have adjoining lockers, and they regularly text message each other while watching other NBA games are on TV.

They're even perfecting the pick-and-roll the way Nash and Nowitzki did when Nash was with the Mavericks.

"On the floor, he's one of the best shooters I've ever played with, especially in crunch time," Nowitzki said. "And off the floor, he's great for the locker room, a great guy to be around."

Similar to Nash, maybe?

"It's not a Nash relationship quite yet," Terry said, "but it's pretty good."

dont get me wrong, this is one of those choose the better of two evils type situations. any other team against the mavs i would root for them to win, but given my tremendous dislike for the spurs i hope the mavs eliminate them then get eliminated in the following round by the suns. ideally thats how i would like it to play out. i still hate dirk and co. though

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
San Antonio Spurs

They're the real deal. AND none of them made disgusting arm gestures or did "in your face" celebratory dances after their wins.

I cannot root for anything Mark Cuban is involved with...

^your right, VF I cant stand Cuban either. but given this mavs team is minus finley/van x/najera i cant say i hold a true vendetta against them as strongly. though they are still arrogant and i really, really dont like dirk, avery and cuban i would say i hate the spurs more at this point.

I hate the Mavs and wish they'd lose but they will win imo. They're well rested and playing very well. Spurs are probably worn out from playing us and they're an old team.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
GO MAVS!

I thuroughly despise every single Spur.

From Manu Ginobili to Tim Duncan to Van Exel to Finley, I hate them all.

I just hope they lose.

Mavs in five. Duncan's injury will be exploited and the Mavs have guys who can match up with Manu in the same way that Artest did. Also, Avery Johnson is fantastic at in-game adjustments.

I voted for Spurs, because if they win the whole deal, the Kings will be remembered (in my head at least) as the 8th seed who took them to 6 games. It justifies that the Kings were a thing to deal with. So, go Spurs

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
atxrocker said:
^your right, VF I cant stand Cuban either. but given this mavs team is minus finley/van x/najera i cant say i hold a true vendetta against them as strongly. though they are still arrogant and i really, really dont like dirk, avery and cuban i would say i hate the spurs more at this point.
If you had ever seen how the Mavericks AND their owner act in Arco Arena, you would change your mind.

DIE MAVERICK SCUM!!!

I think the Mavs will win, but I'm routing for the almighty to recognize his error and return the entire state to it's point of origin....Mexico!;)

p.s. I'd be OK if it just sank or exploded too!:p

VF21 said:
San Antonio Spurs

They're the real deal. AND none of them made disgusting arm gestures or did "in your face" celebratory dances after their wins.

The guy is somewhat similar to the Maloofs... he's more of an ***, yes, but his enthusiasm and energy parallel the Maloofs' energy towards the Kings...

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I think the Spurs will probably win, but I'll be rooting for the Mavs although to be honest I will probably watch little of this series. I just don't like the Spurs at all. Some of it is petty (them getting Duncan instead of the Celts) and some of it is just pure style, I hate their game and the NBA ratings when they win suggest I'm not alone.

Both teams are awesome, but I have a hinch that San Antonio will outlast them with defense. I think that the Spurs' bench will come through in a seven game series. Too much firepower. I don't much care who wins, and probably won't watch any games.

VF21 said:
San Antonio Spurs

WORD

I think the Spurs take this one based on experience alone. If the Spurs can hold on to win this game the series is over....I felt that this would be there chance to steal one in SA.

Spurs of course but Cuban is the last owner in the NBA I ever want to win a title. If Spurs go down I'll be rooting for every team that goes up against Cuban. But so far Spurs 1- 0 baby (and now they'll adjust) :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Nice win.

If the Mavs were going to steal a cheap one, I expected it to be today.

Stackhouse stepping back and deciding to try for the glory instead of the tie was just dumb. You have a Spurs team that has just come off a hard-fought round 1 with very little rest between game 6 and round 2 game one. Why you wouldn't go for the tie and take them to overtime where fatigue would clearly be an issue is beyond me. But, considering it was Stackhouse, I actually do know the answer...

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Spurs did not have much time to prepare...schedule sucked...but the Mavs sat out for 8 days. That does not promote rest, but rust. Hehe! Spurs needed to grab this one and set the tempo.

Go Spurs!

VF21 said:
Nice win.

If the Mavs were going to steal a cheap one, I expected it to be today.

Stackhouse stepping back and deciding to try for the glory instead of the tie was just dumb. You have a Spurs team that has just come off a hard-fought round 1 with very little rest between game 6 and round 2 game one. Why you wouldn't go for the tie and take them to overtime where fatigue would clearly be an issue is beyond me. But, considering it was Stackhouse, I actually do know the answer...
Wow, what a boneheaded move by Stackhouse. As a veteren, he has no excuse making that mistake in the playoffs.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
A Spurs sweep of the Mavs is a defacto justification of the Kings. I'd love to see the Spurs sweep Dallas AND what ever team crawls up from the WEAK bracket.