Marvin Bagley III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't recall that. I actually remember pretty vividly on Carmichael Dave's show that he said his ceiling was probably a super 6th man. That he wasn't really mind blowing as a prospect, but was probably good enough to stick around. I just googled Scot Pollard Buddy Hield for fun and the first thing that comes up is his twitter which says this. "I love his attitude. Great heart. Not naturally gifted. But a great player."

Obviously he can't always be right about everyone so I should've said that differently. But he is often enough that I respect his opinion a lot more than most.
I'm pretty sure it was on Grant's show. I only remember this because I linked it on KF because I thought Buddy had some bust potential due to lack of athleticism and quickness.

Pollard didn't like Buddy. It's odd I can't find any traces of it now..... but I'm pretty sure he brought up Jimmer's name in there too.

Pollard called out McLemore and Thomas Robinson as being busts. He raived about Embiid. Big things for Pollard are strength and the ability to will your team to victories. Pollard is money - but he doesn’t actually watch that many games besides Kansas.

To be fair, Robinson was an obvious bust and embiid was a f'n freak. Out of the 3 I only got McLemore wrong. I was so wrong with this kid.

I believe that Bagley will be a superior individual talent but I don't know if he can elevate others around him. I wouldn't be mad if the kings drafted him but they need some play makers and knock down shooters to maximize his talents.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did notice he shoots better in catch and shoot because he was usually wide open. I get that he will improve the % if he takes better shots, but someone who is supposed to be the go-to guy often don't have that luxury. A go-to player has to take and make bad shots, to bail the team out, to score when the defense zeros in on him.

Those "ill-advised" off the dribble shots and end of the shot clock threes are going to be shots he needs to knock down in the NBA if he is going to be "the guy". He isn't going to blow by anyone or create good separation, if he can't make those off the dribble shots with hands in his face then is he really a go-to guy? From the game I watched, I don't think he took those shots because he is a chucker, I think it's because those are the best shots he could get; and I expect that to happen more frequently after he enters the NBA.

And if the answer is, "no, he is not a go-to player."; then should he be a #2 pick?
It's a legitimate question and one of my concerns with Doncic. He's not a go-to scorer. He's a playmaker with good scoring ability.

Of course Ben Simmons & Lonzo Ball just went in the top 2 of the last two drafts with that same basic profile.

Bagley really intrigues me for the Kings. I have long stated my opinion that Kings must hit a home run in this draft. By home run I don't mean a good player, a starter in the NBA. I am talking perennial all-star type that can be your franchise guy.

To me Bagley has the potential to be the best player from this draft. Defense is a worry but to be fair, it is for most of the rookies. His upside is tremendous. He has raw skills and insane motor. He is a double double machine purely based on his motor.

He will need to get strong, he will need to develop further offensively and defensively and he might not offer much in terms of rim protection but this kid has the smoothness, the fire, athleticism and the motor to be really good. His motor on the court indicates a good work ethic and competitiveness to me. If a player is that talented, and that hard a worker and he has that fire, he will succeed eventually.

While I like Luka a lot, I think I could certainly make a case for Bagley to be our pick in Ayton is overlooked. I want us to get the franchise player. While Ayton is a safer pick from that perspective, Bagley's potential and raw skill could really pay off for a franchise in the future once he develops more. He has already got a respectable 3pt shot after that was the question mark he had against his name going to college. That shot will get better. His skill level will get better in pros. If Ayton is not there, this is really 50-50 for me in terms of Doncic or Bagley.

This team needs a franchise level player.

Ayton or Doncic that’s the only choice
Maybe for you but I would be really disappointed if the front office takes that closed off view. You need to do the research and consider everyone. Scout, break down their game, how they fit, what is their ceiling etc...

I don't care who will be the best player in their rookie year. I care about who is going to be the best player in a few years time and at the end of their career.

Maybe for you but I would be really disappointed if the front office takes that closed off view. You need to do the research and consider everyone. Scout, break down their game, how they fit, what is their ceiling etc...

I don't care who will be the best player in their rookie year. I care about who is going to be the best player in a few years time and at the end of their career.
I agree and I think it will be those 2 although the only debate I’d have would be Ayton/Bagley at 2. But even then I think it’s Ayton, when you add in both being bad defenders I give a huge edge to Ayton cause he’d be more dominant with his size

I agree and I think it will be those 2 although the only debate I’d have would be Ayton/Bagley at 2. But even then I think it’s Ayton, when you add in both being bad defenders I give a huge edge to Ayton cause he’d be more dominant with his size
If as widely expected Ayton goes #1, then the debate is not Ayton vs Bagley but Doncic vs Bagley. If given the choice of Ayton vs Bagley, I am picking Ayton but Doncic vs Bagley needs to be thoroughly debated ad disected before the decision is made. Front office just cannot get his wrong. This is the point at the cross road where we decide to go left or right and the implications of the decision are HUGE.

Get it right and you could back in contention pretty quickly. Get it wrong and there is another 5 years of rebuilding at least. That is how big this decision is. It is MASSIVE with no room for failure. It just must be a franchise player.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Atlanta owns their 2019 1st, but not their second.

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

I still would have to be convinced HARD to trade out of the second pick.

However it should be explored
No. Just no.

I cannot believe some people are even stepping on the lot with that idea, let alone getting behind the wheel and taking it for a test drive.

WE'RE DRAFTING #2. You don't trade that away IMO. You make your pick and stroll on out with your future star...and don't look back.

No. Just no.

I cannot believe some people are even stepping on the lot with that idea, let alone getting behind the wheel and taking it for a test drive.

WE'RE DRAFTING #2. You don't trade that away IMO. You make your pick and stroll on out with your future star...and don't look back.
I think that depends on what is on offer. If a team comes and offers you a young all-star you have to look at it and think about it. No one is saying trade it for the sake of it.

I can tell you right now is Philly rang and said we would trade you Simmons for pick #2 I am pretty sure we would pull the trigger. Pick 2 is not untouchable. There is a price attached to it. Having said that, I highly doubt we move the pick.

No. Just no.

I try to be facilitating in my posts for the sake of discussion and to be civil.

Personally, if I were GM, no way in hell I am trading the number 2 pick. I can't post as much lately nor am I as knowledgeable as a lot of posters here on prospects. However, jumping to to the second pick is a boon we should not squander. I think I freaked a few people out at work when I started jumping,fist pumping and swearing ( kitchen work so it was not unusual) when I saw the Bulls pop up at 7 while I make people's food.

Now, by "It should be explored" I mean that I am of the mindset that I will ( try) never to say never. Open mindedness not only is good (in this instance) because you never know what could be offered, but it also falls under both due diligence, as well as keeping other GM's on their toes.

Still couldn't envision any scenario where as the Kings GM, I am trading the second pick.

If as widely expected Ayton goes #1, then the debate is not Ayton vs Bagley but Doncic vs Bagley. If given the choice of Ayton vs Bagley, I am picking Ayton but Doncic vs Bagley needs to be thoroughly debated ad disected before the decision is made. Front office just cannot get his wrong. This is the point at the cross road where we decide to go left or right and the implications of the decision are HUGE.

Get it right and you could back in contention pretty quickly. Get it wrong and there is another 5 years of rebuilding at least. That is how big this decision is. It is MASSIVE with no room for failure. It just must be a franchise player.
Bagly didn’t measure well at the combine while Porter and JJJ did. At least this time we get to choose. Vlade will be defined by this pick. Can he choose the all star. I’m glad we aren’t locked in yet.

Bagly didn’t measure well at the combine while Porter and JJJ did. At least this time we get to choose. Vlade will be defined by this pick. Can he choose the all star. I’m glad we aren’t locked in yet.
Measure is only one part of the equation. Kyrie's measurements were not that impressive, especially the wingspan but I am pretty sure any team would have picked him at #1.

Bagley is athletic, quick jumper and very smooth athlete that just happens to be tall and have some skills. His measurements will not see him slide too far if at all.

I think that depends on what is on offer. If a team comes and offers you a young all-star you have to look at it and think about it. No one is saying trade it for the sake of it.

I can tell you right now is Philly rang and said we would trade you Simmons for pick #2 I am pretty sure we would pull the trigger. Pick 2 is not untouchable. There is a price attached to it. Having said that, I highly doubt we move the pick.
That’s not even realistic there’s no realistic offer out there. We get lucky and we wanna discuss trading it no thanks.

For me I don’t even entertain drafting Bagley over Doncic. We’re banking on him developing a shot I see it happening but still risking. He’s absolutely horrible defensively you can’t excuse that teams will search him out like Houston is doing curry. Also he’s not a good passer and could he selfish I want to build the team the spurs/GSW way with unselfish players that move the ball constantly. We’re already off to a good start with buddy, Bogdan, and Giles.

The tape on Bagley has star written all over it. This guy scores in all sorts of ways. One highlight I saw shows him using a euro step through the lane. This is great agility for a guy that size. I would take Bagley and run. I think his skills will translate well at the NBA level.

The tape on Bagley has star written all over it. This guy scores in all sorts of ways. One highlight I saw shows him using a euro step through the lane. This is great agility for a guy that size. I would take Bagley and run. I think his skills will translate well at the NBA level.
I agree he’ll get 20-10 but his defense is bad and he’s not a good passer 2 important traits

I can see I'm clearly in the minority here, but I have Bagley ahead of Ayton on my big board.

Doncic is well clear as my favourite player in the draft, so I'm hoping we get him. If he's gone, I hope the front office have taken a serious look at Bagley.

I agree he’ll get 20-10 but his defense is bad and he’s not a good passer 2 important traits

I'm not too worried about defense as a scheme can alleviate some of those concerns. I am worried about his passing but it's quite possible that a player can improve his passing skills and passing IQ. Since he does have a high BBIQ and he has a non-stop motor, he may work really hard with the coaching staff to improve on his passing.

Measure is only one part of the equation. Kyrie's measurements were not that impressive, especially the wingspan but I am pretty sure any team would have picked him at #1.

Bagley is athletic, quick jumper and very smooth athlete that just happens to be tall and have some skills. His measurements will not see him slide too far if at all.
Of course, but the question is which of these kids will become great. In this draft it isn’t an obvious answer but many have potential. They all have areas of doubt.

I'm not too worried about defense as a scheme can alleviate some of those concerns. I am worried about his passing but it's quite possible that a player can improve his passing skills and passing IQ. Since he does have a high BBIQ and he has a non-stop motor, he may work really hard with the coaching staff to improve on his passing.
BBIQ to me is a critical component.

I don't know why, with the information we have, anybody here would be "Donic or Bust" or even "top 2 pick or bust" about this.

Why is it not sensible to do the workouts, interviews, and conclude "we really kinda want the better of Porter/Bagley, and wouldn't be heartbroken with Doncic or Ayton, so lets swap down to 4 and get something nice along with Porter/Bagley"

This line of thinking is pursued all the time in drafts - the 49ers did it recently. If you can get your favorite player on the board (in the hypothetical it is is Porter or Bagley) and a 2019 first rounder or some other nice piece... Why stand on some kind of principle and refuse to do it?

How do you all know Doncic is so great? He's had a hype machine working overtime but if he's Manu Ginobli, and Bagley/Porter are Kevin Garnett then you really failed by making a brain dead hype train momentum pick at #2 instead of doing your proper homework and being creative.

I can't wait to see how it plays out - but one thing it is not... it is not a no-brainer.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Everything I know says Ayton and Doncic are head and shoulders at the top of the class and we should take whoever is there no questions asked.

However a) 35 years of fan experience leads me to believe one of the top two can't miss guys usually does miss. and b) if the Kings are madly in love with someone and can make a steal, they need to trust their instincts. I have a hard time believing that Vlade and Peja aren't in love with Doncic though and pick him if he's available. If they draft anyone besides Ayton or Doncic at two however I think I will pull my hair out.

You do realize it is not necessarily an either/or scenario about being right? The Kings could end up making the "right" pick with several players. I see Doncic, Bagley and Jackson all possibly being stars in the NBA. Young and Porter (if healthy) could also end up being stars. My point is that the Kings could get right picking either Bagley or Doncic.

No. Just no.

I think he was implying we would swap spots with ATL and get their 2019 1st rounder for that. If we really are on the fence between Doncic and Bagley then it might not be a bad play.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I can see I'm clearly in the minority here, but I have Bagley ahead of Ayton on my big board.

Doncic is well clear as my favourite player in the draft, so I'm hoping we get him. If he's gone, I hope the front office have taken a serious look at Bagley.
I don't know about Doncic (haven't seen him play in games), but I agree about Bagley vs. Ayton.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I don't know why, with the information we have, anybody here would be "Donic or Bust" or even "top 2 pick or bust" about this.

Why is it not sensible to do the workouts, interviews, and conclude "we really kinda want the better of Porter/Bagley, and wouldn't be heartbroken with Doncic or Ayton, so lets swap down to 4 and get something nice along with Porter/Bagley"

This line of thinking is pursued all the time in drafts - the 49ers did it recently. If you can get your favorite player on the board (in the hypothetical it is is Porter or Bagley) and a 2019 first rounder or some other nice piece... Why stand on some kind of principle and refuse to do it?

How do you all know Doncic is so great? He's had a hype machine working overtime but if he's Manu Ginobli, and Bagley/Porter are Kevin Garnett then you really failed by making a brain dead hype train momentum pick at #2 instead of doing your proper homework and being creative.

I can't wait to see how it plays out - but one thing it is not... it is not a no-brainer.
I agree with this post 1000%.

Status
Not open for further replies.