Marvin Bagley III

Status
Not open for further replies.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Listening to a couple of his tracks on Soundcloud and Bagley has a good flow. Far better than most would be NBA rappers.
Maybe I'm truly old-fashioned but I have to wonder which is the important thing in his life - his music or basketball? I have a sister who is a musician and it has been her entire life. Anything else was secondary. I want a player who will eat, think, sleep and breathe basketball, a gym-rat of the first order.

Maybe I'm truly old-fashioned but I have to wonder which is the important thing in his life - his music or basketball? I have a sister who is a musician and it has been her entire life. Anything else was secondary. I want a player who will eat, think, sleep and breathe basketball, a gym-rat of the first order.
I heart that a lot but the reality is that a player can only lift weights and get on the court so many hours a day.

Listen to De'Aaron Fox talk about video games. Heck I've read tons of stories about how into video games Doncic is. If Bagley is spending his time making music as opposed to sitting in front of a screen with a controller then I don't see the issue. Dame Lillard is probably the most successful current NBA player with a side career in hip-hop and he was just named to the First Team All-NBA. Webber and Kobe rapped too. They just weren't any good.

Even Jordan was an obsessive golfer and a noted gambler. Guys have a life beyond the court.

Now, Wayman Tisdale really was probably more into music than basketball. But Tis was also a guy who was clearly playing in the NBA because he had the size and skill and because of the paychecks, not because he was filled with fiery passion for the game. I don't get that sense with Bagley.

I loved Tizzy as a player, but IMO (as a fellow bassist) he was a better bass player than a basketball player.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
...Now, Wayman Tisdale really was probably more into music than basketball. But Tis was also a guy who was clearly playing in the NBA because he had the size and skill and because of the paychecks, not because he was filled with fiery passion for the game. I don't get that sense with Bagley.

I loved Tizzy as a player, but IMO (as a fellow bassist) he was a better bass player than a basketball player.

Interesting. It was Tis I thought about when I read your post. I just know from first-hand observation that music is a selfish, jealous mistress, especially if you're good. If you get the vibe that Bagley can find time for both, I'll bow to your instincts. :)

dude12

Hall of Famer
Interesting comment from a Phoenix sportswriter that said the Suns org thought Bagley had a lot of Shawn Marion in him.....he is very bouncy ( the description for his quick off the ground jumping ability).

If we took Bagley, I wouldn't be upset.

Interesting comment from a Phoenix sportswriter that said the Suns org thought Bagley had a lot of Shawn Marion in him.....he is very bouncy ( the description for his quick off the ground jumping ability).

If we took Bagley, I wouldn't be upset.
I think that's part of why the concern I've heard about his height doesn't bother me much. A few people have wondered if he's really 6'11" based on the clip of him talking to Vlade and Peja after his Sacramento workout. Maybe it's as simple as Peja being closer to the camera, which it looks like. Or maybe he's really only 6'8" or 6'9". That really wouldn't bother me a ton. In my mind it's a foregone conclusion that Bagley can't be the lone big on the floor. He's not a rim protector or defensive anchor. His real potential is as a smallball four where he can guard wings with his quickness while also punishing them on the other end and being a high level rebounder. If he becomes a good outside shooter then his value only increases.

If Bagley had a long and productive career similar to Shawn Marion I'd take it. It's not the best case scenario for him but I like the comparison. If he was a slightly better version of Marion? Now we're talking.

As draft day approaches I do find myself leaning more towards Doncic again. I've Bagley and Luka as 1A and 1B for the Kings (assuming Ayton is gone) for a couple weeks now but I wonder if that will switch again by draft day.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I think that's part of why the concern I've heard about his height doesn't bother me much. A few people have wondered if he's really 6'11" based on the clip of him talking to Vlade and Peja after his Sacramento workout. Maybe it's as simple as Peja being closer to the camera, which it looks like. Or maybe he's really only 6'8" or 6'9". That really wouldn't bother me a ton. In my mind it's a foregone conclusion that Bagley can't be the lone big on the floor. He's not a rim protector or defensive anchor. His real potential is as a smallball four where he can guard wings with his quickness while also punishing them on the other end and being a high level rebounder. If he becomes a good outside shooter then his value only increases.

If Bagley had a long and productive career similar to Shawn Marion I'd take it. It's not the best case scenario for him but I like the comparison. If he was a slightly better version of Marion? Now we're talking.

As draft day approaches I do find myself leaning more towards Doncic again. I've Bagley and Luka as 1A and 1B for the Kings (assuming Ayton is gone) for a couple weeks now but I wonder if that will switch again by draft day.
If the nba gods came and told the Kings that Bagley will have a career similar to Marion, that would be hard to pass up.

If the nba gods came and told the Kings that Bagley will have a career similar to Marion, that would be hard to pass up.
Especially since it's not hard to imagine Shawn Marion having an even greater impact on the game if he had played within the confines of the modern NBA's pace and space craze.

At this point I'm sick and tired of the whole "relies on his left too much". You NEVER hear that about right handed players and damn near all of the right handed players HAVE NO LEFT HAND.

That being said, baseball pitchers are loved if they are left handed. For a good reason. Because players are used to going against right handed pitchers. It's the same with basketball players. If you are strong going left it is seen as a strength. Because it's not natural to defend against.

Watching Amare highlights, he goes EXCLUSIVELY to his right. There is hardly any left in his game.

The whole 'uses his left too much' is just weak at this point. Find something that actually makes sense.

At this point I'm sick and tired of the whole "relies on his left too much".
There are also fans who say "he has no mid-range game" or something like this. Look, if the opponent doesn't take away your strength then you keep doing what you are best at. This is obvious. Yes he is left hand dominant. But this often because the opponent cannot take away his preferred mode of attack. The opponent could not take away his left hand. He was too quick and too good. He also did not settle for short shots when he can get closer and jump over the defender. Why should he shoot a 8 foot half hook or whatever when he can get all the way to the cup for higher percentage attempt? Of course he will have to expand his offense against increased resistance in the NBA. Working on his right hand and strength should be his priority this summer.

There are also fans who say "he has no mid-range game" or something like this. Look, if the opponent doesn't take away your strength then you keep doing what you are best at. This is obvious. Yes he is left hand dominant. But this often because the opponent cannot take away his preferred mode of attack. The opponent could not take away his left hand. He was too quick and too good. He also did not settle for short shots when he can get closer and jump over the defender. Why should he shoot a 8 foot half hook or whatever when he can get all the way to the cup for higher percentage attempt? Of course he will have to expand his offense against increased resistance in the NBA. Working on his right hand and strength should be his priority this summer.
Yeah that's what the workouts are for... To see if he has more to his game than he needed to show. We'll see what the Kings think in a few days.

At this point I'm sick and tired of the whole "relies on his left too much". You NEVER hear that about right handed players and damn near all of the right handed players HAVE NO LEFT HAND.

That being said, baseball pitchers are loved if they are left handed. For a good reason. Because players are used to going against right handed pitchers. It's the same with basketball players. If you are strong going left it is seen as a strength. Because it's not natural to defend against.

Watching Amare highlights, he goes EXCLUSIVELY to his right. There is hardly any left in his game.

The whole 'uses his left too much' is just weak at this point. Find something that actually makes sense.
Obviously, it would be nice to see him learn to use his right hand more. But he is so good with his left, he will have no problems scoring. A good example is Isaiah Thomas. When he is in isolation, I know he is going left. The defender knows he is going left, everyone on both teams knows he is going left and everyone in the arena (and watching on tv) knows he is going left. Then he drives left and still gets past his man and into the lane.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
On the nba channel their Draft HQ 2018 special they were positively EFFUSIVE about Bagley. I expected them to jump up from their chairs and CHEER when they were talking about this guy. Isaiah Thomas said the only thing he'd be concerned about with Bagley is that there is nothing to be concerned about! They also pointed out (as I have said) that the offensive wasn't geared around him like it was Ayton. Just draft Bagley and be done with it.

By the way, they also made the Turkoglu comparison with Doncic. I'll pass on that all day freaking long if Doncic is Turkoglu. How many All Star games did he play in? I liked Turk as a King, but would I draft him #2? Hell no.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I’m a Doncic guy, but would have no issues with Bagley. Both players will help our team dramatically.
Pretty much where I'm at.

Bagley is a double/double guy day 1. Don't think he helps you win games until he figures out defense, but I suppose that's the gamble with the pick.

He definitely has a higher upside than Luka. Way lower floor.

Anyone but MPJ is how I'm approaching this draft!

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I liked Turk as a King, but would I draft him #2? Hell no.
Yeah, but you might have drafted him #2 if you had to do the 2000 draft over again. Hedo actually leads the entire draft in Win Shares, VORP, and Box Plus/Minus. He was second in WS/48 (Redd) and third in total minuted played (Jamal Crawford, Mike Miller). In addition to Redd/Crawford/Miller you could probably make a case for Kenyon Martin, and that's about it. On balance, Hedo may have had the best career of all of them.

On the nba channel their Draft HQ 2018 special they were positively EFFUSIVE about Bagley. I expected them to jump up from their chairs and CHEER when they were talking about this guy. Isaiah Thomas said the only thing he'd be concerned about with Bagley is that there is nothing to be concerned about! They also pointed out (as I have said) that the offensive wasn't geared around him like it was Ayton. Just draft Bagley and be done with it.

By the way, they also made the Turkoglu comparison
with Doncic. I'll pass on that all day freaking long if Doncic is Turkoglu. How many All Star games did he play in? I liked Turk as a King, but would I draft him #2? Hell no.
Uhh why? Turk was a quality starter for many years who just missed this era of ball where he would have absolutely shined at small-ball PF. No, I wouldn't want Doncic to be Turk, but i think a player like him is an absolute reasonable floor for Doncic; a quality starter who can help you in a lot of ways on offense.

By the way, they also made the Turkoglu comparison with Doncic. I'll pass on that all day freaking long if Doncic is Turkoglu. How many All Star games did he play in? I liked Turk as a King, but would I draft him #2? Hell no.
I'm in favor of Bagley, but Isaiah Thomas endorsing him might actually be a negative. He was a historically bad GM.

Yeah, but you might have drafted him #2 if you had to do the 2000 draft over again. Hedo actually leads the entire draft in Win Shares, VORP, and Box Plus/Minus. He was second in WS/48 (Redd) and third in total minuted played (Jamal Crawford, Mike Miller). In addition to Redd/Crawford/Miller you could probably make a case for Kenyon Martin, and that's about it. On balance, Hedo may have had the best career of all of them.
Definitely evidence of Petrie's drafting acumen. Brother Hedo went what, 16th in that draft?

While Bagley’s lack of skills scares the hell out of me two things make me feel a bit better:

1) Bagley has had marginal coaching. Dad isn’t an NBA player.

2) Bagley is a competitor. He stepped up in big games and being a competitor matters.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I'm in favor of Bagley, but Isaiah Thomas endorsing him might actually be a negative. He was a historically bad GM.
Thomas was actually a VERY good judge of talent come draft day. Dude made a lot of great picks.

Not that I disagree with him being a historically bad GM. In fact, it was almost Rainman-esque how good he was at finding talent in the draft compared to how awful he was at everything else required of a GM.

So if the original IT is gaga over Bagley, he may be onto something.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.