Maloof Plan B rumors and other news, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I admit, this below part of the recent espn news article bothers me. It's just the sudden meeting they are talking about to reconsider the offer......Dam* I dislike the Maloofs!

"The group trying to move the Sacramento Kings to Seattle is continuing to be relentless in its pursuit. That includes the current owners of the team, the Maloof family.
And the NBA could be listening.
Chris Hansen and Steve Ballmer, the deep-pocketed Seattle-based investors trying to acquire the team, have struck a new deal with the Maloofs that may create more drama in Sacramento and the league office.
Two sources told ESPN.com the Maloofs have informed their fellow owners that if their deal to sell and relocate the Kings to Seattle is not approved by league owners next week, they will not sell the team to a Sacramento-based group that promises to keep the Kings in Sacramento.
Instead, the cash-strapped Maloofs have made a "backup" agreement with the Hansen-Ballmer group to sell them 20 percent of the team for $125 million to allow the Maloofs to continue to operate the franchise.
That new "backup" plan comes on the heels of Hansen's announcement on Friday that he had upped his offer to buy the Maloofs' 65 percent of the Kings to $409 million (from $358 million) for a total valuation of $625 million.
Sources said that new proposal also included a $115 million offer to owners as a relocation fee, which would amount to about $4 million per team. By comparison, in 2008 when the Oklahoma City Thunder moved from Seattle, they paid a $30 million fee to the other owners.
To consider these incredible new figures, the NBA relocation committee is planning to re-evaluate the Hansen-Ballmer offer and has scheduled another meeting ahead of next Tuesday's full owners' meeting in Dallas, sources said."

Could = Hypotheticaly:D

Its a news outlet putting spin on a report.

KB

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
REMINDER: This is Kingsfans.com not sonicsrising. There is no need to insult posters and it will not be tolerated. Name calling is not gonna fly. I've deleted a couple of posts. Please, folks. STAY CLASSY.

Then you probably belong on a different board, there are boards for the potential team in Seattle - sonicsrising to name one .. This board is for the Sacramento Kings, featuring a strong base from Sacramento who probably don't want to hear your views on this issue
Yeah you're right. I'm out. Thanks for the good times guys. Best of luck in the future. And as always... Go Kings!

? The offer from Hansen was raised. Yes it was raised BECAUSE the Sacramento offer came in. Does that make any sort of difference into the fact that the Maloofs have "x" offer on the table and the NBA is going to say "No you can't take that deal."? They're saying that they can't take a signed offer from the Hansen group, which is now at x dollars. Now am I saying that there WILL be a court decision that it's antitrust? No. I'm saying it certainly opens the door, as they are not being allowed to take the maximum deal for a team that they own. Not sure why that's so hard to understand.
Because according to the NBA, you simply can't just sell to whoever you want and uproot a team in the process. Not sure why you don't comprehend that,

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Thank god.. This was worth the infraction. Good riddance.
Congratulations. You and Kingsfan23 have managed to drive someone away who had been a member of this forum since before the great crash of 2004. (His join date of Sept. 2004) should have been a give-away.

What is the matter with you guys? You're acting no better than those jerks on sonicsrisinig. This is an embarrassment. We have a great board here and yet you decide WITHOUT BOTHERING TO NOTIFY THE MODERATORS that someone is a Seattle troll and set about to drive him away?

Good grief...

I think I come from a different perspective as I'm not from Sacramento and am merely a Kings fan. As a fan of the team and not necessarily the location I see the Hansen/Balmer organization and relocation as being much better for the team than I do them staying in Sacramento. The Hansen/Balmer team has already shown they are willing to invest a ton of money into the team, can get Phil Jackson who brings clout to the organization, and it could turn into a very great move for the franchise. I know the owners in Sacramento are pulling through with a deal but they don't seem as big on investing a ton of money into the team as much as they are just wanting to be owners and scrapping together some cash together.

So I would say I think overall in terms of me being a fan of the team, I think the Seattle deal is MUCH better for the future of the team. That being said, I wholeheartedly understand why the majority of this board hates the Maloofs (I do as well) and despises Hansen.
Grant Napear is not from Sacramento and makes no bones about it - still claiming to be a Kings fan. Years ago he said on his radio show he wasn't a Kings fan, only teams paid TV announcer. Just like he now boasts of being big supporter of the grass roots efforts to keep Kings in Sacramento. Napear is two-faced, lying, traitorous punk. He's from New York City and we get that obvious boring, blatant, bias, constantly on his local sports radio show which is all about his NY Giants, his NY Yankees, his New York Rangers over OUR Giants, A's, 49ers, Raiders, Sharks. I hate the weasel Napear just about as much as I despise hideous Maloofs!

Just as a last note I've been on this board for 9 years now. I thought this place was for Kings fans, not just the town but the team. Speak one opinion and that's what I get. Recommended this board to a few folks. I've seen Laker fans get treated better. Well alrighty then looks from like this isn't the place for me. See y'all.

If I could take the infraction for you I would. ;)
lol During the Evans draft I had so many of them that I never knew which one was going to be the last one before they flipped my ban switch. It's cool though, thanks :) I only have one, and I have been much higher than one infraction in the past lol

It just got to me that a guy with "Sac" in his name and who was a Kings fan admittedly claimed he wanted the team moved. Had to have been a hacked account because I can't believe anyone claiming to be a kings fan would be so uninformed on our situation.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
One more thing? For the record? SacKings384 is from Southern California. OH NOES! He's a Laker troll pretending to be a Seattle troll!! Katie, bar the doors!!!

(Insert rolling eyes emoticon here...)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Just as a last note I've been on this board for 9 years now. I thought this place was for Kings fans, not just the town but the team. Speak one opinion and that's what I get. Recommended this board to a few folks. I've seen Laker fans get treated better. Well alrighty then looks from like this isn't the place for me. See y'all.
Please do not judge us by the ill-advised comments of one or two posters. I remember you from a long time ago. I am going to apologize on behalf of Gary and Kingsfan23, something I have never done before, because passions are running high and nerves are totally frayed at this point.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
lol During the Evans draft I had so many of them that I never knew which one was going to be the last one before they flipped my ban switch. It's cool though, thanks :) I only have one, and I have been much higher than one infraction in the past lol

It just got to me that a guy with "Sac" in his name and who was a Kings fan admittedly claimed he wanted the team moved. Had to have been a hacked account because I can't believe anyone claiming to be a kings fan would be so uninformed on our situation.
You're gonna have a lot more if you do that again. This guy is NOT a troll. If you'd bothered to read his posts through, you would see that he's presenting some talking points that are fairly common outside of the immediate Sacramento area.

I'm embarrassed, Gary. We aren't the kind of board that drives people off because they bring up a different POV.

Please do not judge us by the ill-advised comments of one or two posters. I remember you from a long time ago. I am going to apologize on behalf of Gary and Kingsfan23, something I have never done before, because passions are running high and nerves are totally frayed at this point.
Please don't apologize on behalf of me. I remember him too but He hasn't been on the board in two years so he obviously hasn't been paying attention to the situation to come on here with the crap he posted.

You're gonna have a lot more if you do that again. This guy is NOT a troll. If you'd bothered to read his posts through, you would see that he's presenting some talking points that are fairly common outside of the immediate Sacramento area.

I'm embarrassed, Gary. We aren't the kind of board that drives people off because they bring up a different POV.
Read his posts again.. How he underlined certain words, and how his views are that of someone back in January. It's obvious he has not kept up on the situation so allowing him to discuss this as if he had "valid points" is just ludicrous unless we had a time machine take us back 5 months and wipe our memory.

Also, you're a mod... Check his IP address. Does it come from the PNW?

Been catching up on "The Walking Dead". I guess I'm the "Merle" of the board... He's a friggin awesome character.

I'm an idiot because I stopped watching after the first season. I am going to be caught up tonight and let me say.. WOW. The Walking Dead is simply the best show on television.

Last edited:

I understand your probably a good guy dude, but your views are just inflammatory.. It's like being on a christian board, having 3000+ posts and start having a pro-satanist viewpoint on an issue... You might be cool, and you might have had good take on other issues, but now you are disrupting the peace.. This isn't a trade, where there are numerous view points on the benefits to the franchise.. This is about this community losing its team, and there are certain issues where the first ammendment should not apply.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Gary - KNOCK IT OFF. It's not your decision to make about who is or isn't a troll. You need to stop...now.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I understand your probably a good guy dude, but your views are just inflammatory.. It's like being on a christian board, having 3000+ posts and start having a pro-satanist viewpoint on an issue... You might be cool, and you might have had good take on other issues, but now you are disrupting the peace.. This isn't a trade, where there are numerous view points on the benefits to the franchise.. This is about this community losing its team, and there are certain issues where the first ammendment should not apply.
Dude, you and Gary were the ones that were out of line. SacKings384 didn't violate any of our rules. YOU GUYS DID by attacking him.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Read his posts again.. How he underlined certain words, and how his views are that of someone back in January. It's obvious he has not kept up on the situation so allowing him to discuss this as if he had "valid points" is just ludicrous unless we had a time machine take us back 5 months and wipe our memory.

Also, you're a mod... Check his IP address. Does it come from the PNW?
I already did that. Check my posts. You were and are totally out of line on this, Gary.

Dude, you and Gary were the ones that were out of line. SacKings384 didn't violate any of our rules. YOU GUYS DID by attacking him.
You gotta do what you gotta do. He comes in with pro Sonics views from five months ago and expects people to be rational with him. First off he isn't even trying to discuss anything that's even relevant now, and second, he's a troll. ;)

Yes yes, I know, you don't think he's a troll.

Anyhow. Have a good evening. I am off to eat some grub and watch the last two episodes of Walking Dead.

Out of line or not, I just don't want this board to get polluted with his kind of nonsense. If that gets me in trouble while scaring off a person who doesn't give a crap about us then so be it.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I think I come from a different perspective as I'm not from Sacramento and am merely a Kings fan. As a fan of the team and not necessarily the location I see the Hansen/Balmer organization and relocation as being much better for the team than I do them staying in Sacramento. The Hansen/Balmer team has already shown they are willing to invest a ton of money into the team, can get Phil Jackson who brings clout to the organization, and it could turn into a very great move for the franchise. I know the owners in Sacramento are pulling through with a deal but they don't seem as big on investing a ton of money into the team as much as they are just wanting to be owners and scrapping some cash together. I could see the Seattle team being in the top 10 in terms of salary cap each year, and can see the Kings staying near the bottom of the barrel in terms of team investment with the Sacramento owners.

So I would say I think overall in terms of me being a fan of the team, I think the Seattle deal is MUCH better for the future of the team. That being said, I wholeheartedly understand why the majority of this board hates the Maloofs (I do as well) and despises Hansen.
If you are a Kings fan, and I have no reason to doubt you are given your long term membership of this site, please understand that if this team moves to Seattle it will NOT BE THE KINGS.

The entire Kings history would go into a box somewhere and the current Kings would adopt the Sonics history pre-OKC move. Only a handful of Kings memories would transition, probably somewhere around 2010/2011 where most of the earliest roots of the current roster exist.

No arenas in the NBA would display the retired numbers of Mitch, Chris and Vlade. Gone also would be Nate, Oscar and the other greats that played for the organization prior to Sacramento.

If you are a KINGS fan, you have to be against this move. Because if this move took place there would be no Kings except in the history books.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is a stressful and frustrating time for Kings fans. Honestly, we saw similar views as the one you espoused above when the talk was of relocation to Anaheim. In both cases, people FROM the Sacramento area were upset at the notion of losing their team. But at that time there were fans who thought a move to Anaheim could be good for the franchise as a whole. Bigger market, more money etc.

I think there are two fundamental differences between then and now. One is that the team would have been the Anaheim Royals. Not the Kings per se, but still holding onto the legacy of the franchise. The other is that there was not existing arena deal in Sacramento and now there is. Not just a deal to build an arena, but one that would revitalize the city of Sacramento which the majority of posters here have a connection to.

If the Maloofs sold to HBN it very well might mean a very successful team in Seattle. But it wouldn't be the Kings. It would be a reborn Supersonics with all of the Kings/Royals history discarded. If push came to shove I might have been able to root for the Anaheim Royals. But the Seattle Sonics? Nope. Why would I? The entire point of the relocation is for them to to become another franchise with it's own history.

I don't think many Kings fans would be willing to become a Sonics fans. But to each his own.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
What was the crash of 2004
In September 2004 we had a catastrophic server failure, which resulted in all data for the board being lost. (The company went bankrupt and our backup data was also lost.) We had to start over from scratch. That's why you'll see so many members with a Sept. 2004 join date.

Oops. Forgot. If the Maloofs don't sell? Simple. Leverage? Gone. No sponsors, no attendance, and Vivek keeps lowering his price.
That tweet tells and ends the story, IMO. If the Maloofs, by some gigantic miracle somehow made this happen, it would spell even more doom for them.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
One more thing? For the record? SacKings384 is from Southern California. OH NOES! He's a Laker troll pretending to be a Seattle troll!! Katie, bar the doors!!!

(Insert rolling eyes emoticon here...)
Ok I feel bad for somewhat encourage things after the fact, but right now i really am just beyond done with the Seattle buyers and even more so the snarky supporters up in Sea. But my apologies to SacKings384, being wrong does not make you a troll.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
That tweet tells and ends the story, IMO. If the Maloofs, by some gigantic miracle somehow made this happen, it would spell even more doom for them.
Sadly not. There IS NO WAY the NBA can let the Maloofs leave the meeting with the team in their possession. There is a very, very ugly back up plan in place for Hansen. The BM and H/B KNOW that if the team stays in Sac with them as owners quite literally no one will attend games. More to the point is has become abundantly clear that Hansen HAS to have a team in Seattle ASAP to keep from loosing big on his Arena con. It seems highly likely that the Maloofs will move the team Seattle with or with out permission ala Bud Sterling and then settle the rest in court, under the assumption that any resolution will not include some forced relocation back to Sac. Then they just play out the course of action that says since we are now up in Seattle you might as well let us sell. I have no idea how likely this scenario is but don't think its not in the play book as one of several options.

Sadly not. There IS NO WAY the NBA can let the Maloofs leave the meeting with the team in their possession. There is a very, very ugly back up plan in place for Hansen. The BM and H/B KNOW that if the team stays in Sac with them as owners quite literally no one will attend games. More to the point is has become abundantly clear that Hansen HAS to have a team in Seattle ASAP to keep from loosing big on his Arena con. It seems highly likely that the Maloofs will move the team Seattle with or with out permission ala Bud Sterling and then settle the rest in court, under the assumption that any resolution will not include some forced relocation back to Sac. Then they just play out the course of action that says since we are now up in Seattle you might as well let us sell. I have no idea how likely this scenario is but don't think its not in the play book as one of several options.
The Maloofs will NOT own a team come next season! Bookmark it! Hansen won't be owning the team either. In fact I am not sure he will ever own NBA teathe way he is going! Seattle will get a team eventually but it won't be Hansen that owns it!

Status
Not open for further replies.