Malone fired

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The losses made it easier for PDA to pull the trigger. I seriously doubt he would have been able to do it if the team had continued on their early pace.

You could be right, though. My last sentence was more personal opinion that anything else. I'm just frustrated with people who are so worried about how the players are taking this. If they had been winning, I'd be a lot more concerned about their feelings.
I'm less concerned about the players than I am that Vivek has an advanced case of Mercury poisoning or syphilis like the great dictators of old.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
That interview with Rudy is so telling, this is not going to end well.
You hear what you want to hear. Rudy didn't say anything I wouldn't have expected. He said Malone being the coach meant a lot AT THE TIME he signed the extension. He then went on to say that bottom line it's a business. He hopes Malone learns from it, just like he (Rudy) learned from it.

But hey...I cannot argue with all those who are totally convinced the end is near.

I'm trying to stay out of it as much as possible because I'm apparently one of the few who do not see this as the end of the world. Better coaches than Malone have been fired. There was an article by David Aldridge right after Mark Jackson was fired that said the Warriors were doomed, their fanbase would desert them because they would never be able to do as well as they had with Malone, etc.

The sun will come up tomorrow. The Kings will win ... or not ... Thursday against the Bucks. I'm pretty sure as soon as Cousins gets back onto the court and people see him NOT rip the head of Ty Corbin, things will start to calm down.

Vivek wants to win. PDA wants to win. Cousins wants to win. Rudy wants to win. Corbin wants to win. Those are all good things in my opinion.

Anyway, I'm going back into my self-imposed semi-exile until the dust settles a bit more.

GO KINGS!

My 2-Cents:

The vision for Vivek and Co. is to build the next-generation, internationally-branded 'NBA-3.0' team.
Sacramento, is the capital of CA and the "Center of West-Coast Style", and the idea is to create a brand of
run-and-gun that 1B+ Indians and other developing nations will find an identity with as the
'American Way'. This will consist of alleyoops, treys, dunks, fast-breaks, Bollywood, and Shanghai/Beijing.
With this 'style', the goal is to achieve of a valuation of the Sacramento-Kings on a global-scale,
similar to internationally-recognized soccer teams (Real-Madrid and Barcelone worth > $3.2B-USD).

Coach Malone, molded out of grit, toughness, and grind-it-out style, would never fit this next-level
business valuation -- regardless of wins/losses, or playoff success. Even if Coach Malone were to
achieve success, his team's focus on defense (not offense) prevents viral uptake by the global population
who are eager to absorb anything vintage 'American'.

This fundamental difference in style (grind-out vs. run-and-gun) -- and its affect on global marketability --
is the key tipping point, and is their rationale for firing Coach Malone now. How it will shake out is anyone's
guess, including the FO. There's a lot of money being wagered on these bets (Kings purchase price, new Arena,
no revenue sharing), so their belief is the timing is critical and perhaps cannot wait till the end-of-season.
This undervaluates the basketball knowledge of international fans. Everybody around the globe watching NBA basketball knows the term "Offense wins games, Defense wins championships". Gritty teams like the Bad Boys or the Grizzlies always attract a fanbase, cause people love hardworking underdogs. If this is the vision of Vivek and PDA it's going to fail, cause it turns the Kings into a worse copy of the Warriors. Marketing is always about finding your own niche, your own brand and not about taking over someone else's identity. And the key element is always winning - people love winners. No one is interested in a losing team, that plays "exciting basketball".

Vivek wants to win. PDA wants to win. Cousins wants to win. Rudy wants to win. Corbin wants to win. Those are all good things in my opinion.
With all due respect, but if you want to win, you don't fire your overachieving coach in the middle of the season with basically no real backup plan outside of letting Ty coach for the rest of the season as a lame duck, cause everybody knows he won't be here longterm.
The way I see it this is PDA and Mullin teaming up, to give Mullin more influence in the organisation and the opportunity to take over as a coach, or to install Jackson as a friend of Mullin. For this they basically throw this season away. All I see is some nepotism and guys who don't care about what's best for the franchise but only about what's best for them and their buddys and an owner who is trusting the wrong guys, cause they promise a flashy product.

Last edited:
With all due respect, but if you want to win, you don't fire your overachieving coach in the middle of the season with basically no real backup plan outside of letting Ty coach for the rest of the season as a lame duck, cause everybody knows he won't be here longterm.
The way I see it this is PDA and Mullin teaming up, to give Mullin more influence in the organisation and the opportunity to take over as a coach, or to install Jackson as a friend of Mullin. For this they basically throw this season away. All I see is some nepotism and guys who don't care about what's best for the franchise but only about what's best for them and their buddys and an owner who is trusting the wrong guys, cause they promise a flashy product.
I said it before and I'll say it again, no matter how you look at it, no matter if you are a fan of coach Malone or not, you don't fire your coach 20-25 games into the season, especially when we were overachieving before Cousins went down. It just shows a lack of planning, lack of foresight and a lack of preparation of the FO. If they knew they don't want to keep the coach, they should've fired him before or after a season. Doesn't matter how professional a player is. It's a stability issue.

Yeah, um...most likely not.

It's a business. They know it much better than we do.

I'm gonna be blunt. Maybe if the players were so devoted to Malone they could have shown it by not losing all those games we could have/should have won, even with Cousins on the bench. If they were so devoted to Malone maybe they could have shown it by putting forth effort every single time they stepped on the court.

The first time I ever heard the old adage "Players win, coaches lose" was from a player. I think the idea that "none of them like this move' is totally unsubstantiated. I'd almost be willing to bet they know more about why Malone was actually fired than we'll ever hear.

Bottom line is it's done. He's history. The players will not be looking back mourning his loss. They're going to be looking forward, knowing that they need to adopt "the coach is dead, long live the coach" mentality, quit messing around and get back to playing like they mean it.

If the players everyone is so worried about had done their jobs adequately, Malone would still be sitting on the bench.
Wow, really drinking the Kool Aid, huh?

Seems the delusion is spreading to some fans. That's a shame.

We probably should have fired the players if they were the problem. Stupid untalented players playing like what they are. God damn them.

Last edited:
Vivek's comparisons with the tech industry are misplaced and I think his disregard for continuity is worrying. A team isn't a machine which will work the same no matter who's operating it. You can't expect certain improvement just from bringing in a new engineer to do some tinkering. Coaching a team sport is about strategy, communication and trust. A coach has to motivate and teach his players to cooperate according to his strategic plan. A coaching change resets this time-consuming process and it will take a lot of work to get a new system running, especially if it involves a big shift in strategy which now seems to be the case. Firing Malone not only nullifies his work over the past year and a half, but the players' work as well, just when it was beginning to be rewarded. This is poisonous to team morale and loyalty in the near future. I hope and believe that Corbin can bring this season to a moderately successful conclusion. We should savour it, because it's back to square one again next fall - 30 wins, confusion on the court, learning everything the hard way.

Yeah, um...most likely not.

It's a business. They know it much better than we do.

I'm gonna be blunt. Maybe if the players were so devoted to Malone they could have shown it by not losing all those games we could have/should have won, even with Cousins on the bench. If they were so devoted to Malone maybe they could have shown it by putting forth effort every single time they stepped on the court.

The first time I ever heard the old adage "Players win, coaches lose" was from a player. I think the idea that "none of them like this move' is totally unsubstantiated. I'd almost be willing to bet they know more about why Malone was actually fired than we'll ever hear.

Bottom line is it's done. He's history. The players will not be looking back mourning his loss. They're going to be looking forward, knowing that they need to adopt "the coach is dead, long live the coach" mentality, quit messing around and get back to playing like they mean it.

If the players everyone is so worried about had done their jobs adequately, Malone would still be sitting on the bench.
I reject your points...Dikembe Mutombo style....with the laugh and finger wag. Right now I and apparently others are going to vent and vent often. This is one of the dumbest firings in recent memory and maybe ever.

I'm so ticked at PDA and Mullin and Bratz also apparently for basically not supporting the coach with the players HE needed. These guys were in Vivek's ear continuously and threw Malone under the bus over and over and kept driving over him until the firing. Those guy's egos got in the way instead of wearing big boy pants and deciding that lets get coach what he needs. Malone > PDA, Mullin, Bratz. And I'm not saying that Malone was without warts but these other guys....can't honestly respect what they did and if you think the players don't feel the ****ing same thing, then your wrong.

VF - it's not that Malone was fired, it's how and why.
And WHEN!!!! The timing of Malones firing is perhaps the greatest mystery???? It turns this season into a waste unless the Kings Basketball Brain trust gets their guy in the HC seat ASAP!!!

I guess when Malone said analytics does not win games DEFENSE wins games it was the last straw for the geeks that run this team.

The pressure is on Vivek and company to right the ship and do it right away or they have lost this season. Regardless how you felt about not signing Tyreke, not signing IT and now firing Malone you have to admit it is starting to look grim.

I feel sorry for Ty Corbin. If he is really the guy they want, then sign him to a three year deal. If not, do not make him carry on lame duck. Bring in the guy you want!

Sorry VF, but I just can't support or remain quiet about what I think was a very poor basketball/ business/PR/peoples feelings decision.

KB

Last edited:
You hear what you want to hear. Rudy didn't say anything I wouldn't have expected. He said Malone being the coach meant a lot AT THE TIME he signed the extension. He then went on to say that bottom line it's a business. He hopes Malone learns from it, just like he (Rudy) learned from it.

But hey...I cannot argue with all those who are totally convinced the end is near.

I'm trying to stay out of it as much as possible because I'm apparently one of the few who do not see this as the end of the world. Better coaches than Malone have been fired. There was an article by David Aldridge right after Mark Jackson was fired that said the Warriors were doomed, their fanbase would desert them because they would never be able to do as well as they had with Malone, etc.

The sun will come up tomorrow. The Kings will win ... or not ... Thursday against the Bucks. I'm pretty sure as soon as Cousins gets back onto the court and people see him NOT rip the head of Ty Corbin, things will start to calm down.

Anyway, I'm going back into my self-imposed semi-exile until the dust settles a bit more.

GO KINGS!
The teams that fired those coaches didn't have owners and GM's spouting out verbal diarrhea that quite frankly insults the intelligence of anyone within an ear shot of them.

It would be one thing if they were looking to improve the team based on logic. Instead they are blatantly lying to us as a fan base and using the most illogical brand of thinking when it comes to how they think this team should win.

Basically what they want is Keith Smart coaching again. A guy who just stays out of the way and lets the team improvise and run and gun.

It's the end of the world for the fan base because just at the moment we all thought this ship was getting turned around for the first time in nearly a decade, these idiots swoop in and end all that. Efficiently sending the team back into the basement, back into the stone age and back into the laughing stock of the NBA.

And WHEN!!!! The timing of Malones firing is perhaps the greatest mystery???? It turns this season into a waste unless the Kings Basketball Brain trust gets their guy in the HC seat ASAP!!!

I guess when Malone said analytics does not win games DEFENSE wins games it was the last straw for the geeks that run this team.

The pressure is on Vivek and company to right the ship and do it right away or they have lost this season. Regardless how you felt about not signing Tyreke, not signing IT and now firing Malone you have to admit it is starting to look grim.

I feel sorry for Ty Corbin. If he is really the guy they want sign him to a three year deal. If not do not make him carry on lame duck. Bring in the guy you want!

Sorry VF, but I just can't support or remain quiet about what I think was a very poor basketball/ business/PR/peoples feelings decision.

KB
I went through different theories as increasingly more, although sometimes barely reliable, information became available, and at this point I think, Smith playing decently in the last game, plus opposition to his acquisition by Malone might have re-started summer debate, probably with some heated words and accusations, that resulted in people taking sides, and Vivek sided with PDA/Mullin this time. It looks like an impulsive decision, since they weren't able to soften the ground with calculated leaks, while also managed to say/leak some utter nonsense afterwords.

I went through different theories as increasingly more, although sometimes barely reliable, information became available, and at this point I think, Smith playing decently in the last game, plus opposition to his acquisition by Malone might have re-started summer debate, probably with some heated words and accusations, that resulted in people taking sides, and Vivek sided with PDA/Mullin this time. It looks like an impulsive decision, since they weren't able to soften the ground with calculated leaks, while also managed to say/leak some utter nonsense afterwords.
Nothing about Malone being fired was impulsive. It was calculated. They waited until we had a losing record and used it as justification while also blabbering about some style bullcrap. The real reason he was fired in midseason is that he refused to change his ways in order to mirror what Vivek wanted. Malone knew Vivek had no clue what he was doing so he opposed it. It was an alpha dog vs alpha dog sort of thing.

Karl has the proven track record and would certainly bring a lot of confidence to the table.
Mullins might be a good coach. He is reluctant to take on the hot seat job without the benefit of training camp. He also knows that he might only last a year with the current FO.
My sentimental choice is Mark Jackson. He could finish what Malone started with seamless continuity. He is one of the best defensive coaches anywhere and a taskmaster. He could give the Kings more discipline and improve things like turnovers, bad passes, and not getting back on defense.

G

GQ_Gabriel

Many so quickly forget that the Kings would be in Seattle right now if not for Vivek Ranadive and Co. Through all the mist and haze of our current situation, I am happily grateful and appreciative of the fact that we still have a team to call our own.

After watching many of the interviews you can tell the players really had a trust in Malone. From the players responses after the game I can't see how coaching change against during the season could happen. It could cause many of the players to lose total respect for the organization. I know you can say well they are professionals, but they are still human being and when someone fires your boss that you respect, it takes time for you to respect a new boss....

Karl has the proven track record and would certainly bring a lot of confidence to the table.
Mullins might be a good coach. He is reluctant to take on the hot seat job without the benefit of training camp. He also knows that he might only last a year with the current FO.
My sentimental choice is Mark Jackson. He could finish what Malone started with seamless continuity. He is one of the best defensive coaches anywhere and a taskmaster. He could give the Kings more discipline and improve things like turnovers, bad passes, and not getting back on defense.
I bet Jackson is dying to coach a team that could beat Golden State. Jackson was quite the competitor in his day.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Many so quickly forget that the Kings would be in Seattle right now if not for Vivek Ranadive and Co. Through all the mist and haze of our current situation, I am happily grateful and appreciative of the fact that we still have a team to call our own.
Not a single person has forgotten what they have done. That in and of itself, however, does not absolve them from their most recent and egregious mistake.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Your ridiculous strawman is utterly specious, and also utterly predictable. Maybe, if you were capable of defending this move on the merits, you would actually be able to produce a cogent argument, but I doubt it.

G

GQ_Gabriel

Your ridiculous strawman is utterly specious, and also utterly predictable. Maybe, if you were capable of defending this move on the merits, you would actually be able to produce a cogent argument, but I doubt it.
You're not getting it. Look at the big picture, my friend. Whether or not Vivek Ranadive deserves the criticism is beyond the point. At the end of the day, we still have a professional basketball team and my city's name is on the front of that home jersey.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
You're not getting it. Look at the big picture, my friend. Whether or not Vivek Ranadive deserves the criticism is beyond the point. At the end of the day, we still have a professional basketball team and my city's name is on the front of that home jersey.
No, you're the one who doesn't 'get it'. Whether or not Ranadive kept the Kings in Sacramento is irrelevant to this conversation, which means even bringing it up is a straw man. You're arguing against a position that nobody has taken.

G

GQ_Gabriel

No, you're the one who doesn't 'get it'. Whether or not Ranadive kept the Kings in Sacramento is irrelevant to this conversation, which means even bringing it up is a straw man. You're arguing against a position that nobody has taken.
You're asking me to explain why firing Malone was a mistake. If you're really a fan of this team, and you've watched every game as I have, you'll know what I'm talking about. This team, even without Cousins, should have a better record. They've dropped too many close games in which substitution patterns and rotations have had a substantial effect. Point blank, the man hasn't coached up to expectations, which undoubtedly so, are very high for this ownership group. That, along with presumably a series of events behind the scenes that we don't see, is the reason he's gone.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
To say that this is an empty statement is an understatement in and of itself. At what point, then, can we criticize the regime's moves?

Acting like people who aren't happy with some of Vivek's decisions are somehow unaware that the team could have been moved is like moving from point A to point Z without even pausing to acknowledge points B through Y and, quite frankly, a little patronizing.