Making the case for DeWayne Dedmon:

.... Tomas Satoransky get away, He's another player I would target. He was their starting PG after Wall went down, and played extremely well. He's unique at 6'7". He averaged 5 assists a game, and shot 39.5% from the three.
I recall some debate in wiz land in regards to how much more value on the court is Wall versus Satoransky. If im not mistaken the wiz played better after Wall went down, possibly due to the play of Sat.

I want the kings to sign a value guy at C so they can overspend to beef the bench.

Assuming we sign a guy like Dedmon or Bryant, with the additional money should we overpay Satoransky for our elite backup pg?

I like JV. He provides the most of what we need at the 5. Defense and rebounding.

DDedmon is like fools gold for me. He checks boxes but ultimately I just don't think he's that good overall.

OOf course price is the ultimate variable. Let's get the guys in the price tag we want.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The first question I want to ask about any potential FA center: What kind of motor does he have? WCS has a put-put motor. I want a guy who comes to play in every game, who gets back on D, who doesn't find opportune times to take plays off, who really gives it his all. Koufos fits the bill in that regard. He just doesn't have the talent/athleticism that we need as a starter. But at least he doesn't degrade the work ethic culture of the team by his slackness. Whether it's Dedmon or Bryant or whomever, we need to get a guy who brings it with his hustle and his work ethic.

The first question I want to ask about any potential FA center: What kind of motor does he have? WCS has a put-put motor. I want a guy who comes to play in every game, who gets back on D, who doesn't find opportune times to take plays off, who really gives it his all. Koufos fits the bill in that regard. He just doesn't have the talent/athleticism that we need as a starter. But at least he doesn't degrade the work ethic culture of the team by his slackness. Whether it's Dedmon or Bryant or whomever, we need to get a guy who brings it with his hustle and his work ethic.
If you want someone that brings the motor and the intensity, here is a video of Thomas Bryant from NBA.com. He seems to bring his lunch pale to work everyday.

https://www.nba.com/wizards/thomas-bryant-highlights-2018-19

I'm not a salary cap expert, but I think there is a limit of how much Washington can offer him or match, considering they will be over the salary cap and only have his "Early Bird" rights. Maybe Capt. or another salary cap guru can elaborate on this.

If we play our cards right, we may be able to offer Bryant a contract that Washington can't match under the CBA, because they will be over the salary cap.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
If you want someone that brings the motor and the intensity, here is a video of Thomas Bryant from NBA.com. He seems to bring his lunch pale to work everyday.

https://www.nba.com/wizards/thomas-bryant-highlights-2018-19

I'm not a salary cap expert, but I think there is a limit of how much Washington can offer him or match, considering they will be over the salary cap and only have his "Early Bird" rights. Maybe Capt. or another salary cap guru can elaborate on this.

If we play our cards right, we may be able to offer Bryant a contract that Washington can't match under the CBA, because they will be over the salary cap.
To the best of what I can tell, the Wizards *do* have Early Bird rights on Bryant - Bryant was waived by the Lakers after his first season, but since the Wizards claimed him off of waivers (that is, Bryant did not *clear* waivers) the Early Bird rights stay intact. Because Bryant has only two years in the league, and Washington has Early Bird rights, they can match any offer sheet even if the offer sheet exceeds what Early Bird rights would normally allow (which is 105% of '18-'19 league average in this case - I don't know exactly what that number is but probably somewhere in the $9-10M range based on the MLE).

This used to be a loophole, but it was closed ("Gilbert Arenas provision") for players with 1-2 years in the league, like Bryant. If Bryant had three years in the league, or had the Wizards let him clear waivers and then signed him as a free agent, then there might still be a way to loophole it. As it stands, for another team to strong-arm Bryant out of the Wizards (assuming they make the QO), they will have to just bid higher than Washington is willing to go.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
no where in my post did I indicate that Dedmon is the reason for the Hawks record. I was simply pointing out that he is starting for a lottery team. He would not be starting for any Playoff team unless you are the 7th or 8th seed in the East. If the options are between Willie, Dedmon and Bryant, I'll go ahead and take Bryant and call it a day. Find another big in the draft if need be.
Actually, what you said was that if Dedmon was your starting center your team wouldn't be any good, or wouldn't make the playoff's. The implication being, that Dedmon was in some part responsible for the Hawks record. Thus my response was intended to point out, that it's the players he's surrounded with as much as him that's responsible for the record. Put him on the Warriors, and he'll look like a much better player, and I have no doubt they would make the playoffs.

Look, I know what you were trying to say, but you did it in an extreme way. You spoke in absolutes, which I try to never do. Reason being, I've been wrong too many times when I have. Never say never!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
To the best of what I can tell, the Wizards *do* have Early Bird rights on Bryant - Bryant was waived by the Lakers after his first season, but since the Wizards claimed him off of waivers (that is, Bryant did not *clear* waivers) the Early Bird rights stay intact. Because Bryant has only two years in the league, and Washington has Early Bird rights, they can match any offer sheet even if the offer sheet exceeds what Early Bird rights would normally allow (which is 105% of '18-'19 league average in this case - I don't know exactly what that number is but probably somewhere in the $9-10M range based on the MLE).

This used to be a loophole, but it was closed ("Gilbert Arenas provision") for players with 1-2 years in the league, like Bryant. If Bryant had three years in the league, or had the Wizards let him clear waivers and then signed him as a free agent, then there might still be a way to loophole it. As it stands, for another team to strong-arm Bryant out of the Wizards (assuming they make the QO), they will have to just bid higher than Washington is willing to go.
I think the key to what direction the Wiz might go depends on what they do with Jabari Parker. The Wiz have a team option for 20 mil. If they don't exercise it, then they have some wiggle room under the cap. But if they do exercise it, then they're in a tight spot. So I think that if they go ahead and exercise the option, then there's a very good chance the Kings, or some other team will be able to sign Bryant away from them. I think they'll be more inclined to go all in on Satoransky and match any offer.

Wall likely won't be ready to play at the start of the season, and as some have stated, the Wiz seemed to play better with Satoransky running the offense. Regardless, they're stuck with Wall because I can't see anyone taking on that contract. The only PG in the league with a worse contract is Westbrook, but at least he's healthy.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I think the key to what direction the Wiz might go depends on what they do with Jabari Parker. The Wiz have a team option for 20 mil.
Honestly, is there an easier "Don't let the door hit you on the way out" situation this offseason than the Parker team option? I can't see even the Wizards thinking that's the best way to spend their $20M.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Honestly, is there an easier "Don't let the door hit you on the way out" situation this offseason than the Parker team option? I can't see even the Wizards thinking that's the best way to spend their $20M.
No argument from me. I think it would be the height of stupidity to exercise that option, but then this is the franchise that created this mess.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I don't know, Parker hovered around a solid 20 and 10 per 36 at the end of the season while shooting 55 percent. He's another player that if you give him a chunk of your offense he will produce for you. That said it is doubtful he sees that 20 mil if there is an option.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I thought I'd post some other interesting info about Dedmon. First, he didn't start playing basketball until his senior year of highschool when he turned 18. Until that time his mother wouldn't let him play because of religious belief's. At age 18 he was 6'8" tall. Obviously with such a late start, no college came knocking on his door, so he attended Antelope Valley College as a part time student, and didn't play during the 2008/09 season. During his sophmore year at Antelope Valley, now 7 feet tall he averaged 6.6 points, 7.8 rebounds, and recorded a total of 46 blocked shots, and set the school record of 7 blocks in one game. He then sustained a nasal cavity injury and missed the last 7 games of the season.

He then transferred to USC, and according to NCAA rules, had to redshirt the 2010/11 year. He was on the same team with Vucevic at USC. As you can see, he got a very late start at basketball, and even lost two years of playing time after he started. So while he's 29 years old, he's a young 29 by games played standards. It's also very possible that he still has some improvement left in the tank since he started so late. He could just now be moving into his prime as far as abilities go. If nothing else, he could hold down the fort until we develop a center.

All the articles I read about him paint him as a good locker room guy, and a very loud and funny guy. He appears to be well liked by his teammates. Atlanta has said that they want him back, so it would probably take a fair sized offer to scare them off. He's also implied that he loves playing for the Hawks, but, he knows that this is his chance for his big payday, and he's not going to take less pay to stay there.