Luka Doncic (the 'LET'S RE-LITIGATE THE PICK UNTO PERPETUITY~!' thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
VF21 said:
Oh good grief. Seriously? This Doncic pollution is ridiculous. If you want to argue about him, please do it in the NBA forum in one of the TWO threads devoted to him. Thanks ever so.
So...
He started a new thread comparing again Bagley to Doncic in the opening post.
Then... In a second post he compared Fox to Doncic, defining the first way better than the second.
I just asked a simple question. I got the answer and that's it, case closed for me.
And you reply like this to me? I ask you this time, seriously?
You can even close this thread, I don't care to be honest.
Have fun.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I love to see how he's pump faking everyone.
They're in the playoff run right now and Dirk hasn't played yet.
Where do they play Dirk when he gets back though? Luka's currently starting in his position and I don't see them benching Jordan or Barnes to fit him in. Maybe off the bench? Or they could bench Matthews or DSJ and go big. I don't think he's a big contributor either way but it's an interesting situation.

Where do they play Dirk when he gets back though? Luka's currently starting in his position and I don't see them benching Jordan or Barnes to fit him in. Maybe off the bench? Or they could bench Matthews or DSJ and go big. I don't think he's a big contributor either way but it's an interesting situation.
There best player isn’t coming off the bench smith will be the off one out. He irritates Rick as it is with his turnovers but Dallas should trade Barnes for Otto Porter Barnes is too iso heavy

tough to say. the Mavs have a lot of veteran players that are capable of scoring but Luka is as good as advertised.
Not that tough to say, really. He's their best player. Go to a Mavs forum and ask around if in doubt.

The previous argument was that he may be playing well but it's all for nought because the Mavs suck. Well now the Mavs are above .500. I'm not saying this applies to you kingsboi, but it will be interesting to see where the goalposts are moved to next.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Not that tough to say, really. He's their best player. Go to a Mavs forum and ask around if in doubt.

The previous argument was that he may be playing well but it's all for nought because the Mavs suck. Well now the Mavs are above .500. I'm not saying this applies to you kingsboi, but it will be interesting to see where the goalposts are moved to next.
I’m also eagerly awaiting this.

First it was NCAA players would somehow translate over a guy dominating grown men, bafdaling. I’ll also wait for the goalpost to be moved. I’ll taje a swing and say they’ll attack his assists he’s only at 4

Coming from someone that was part of the pro-Luka crowd, wasn't it kind of expected that he was the most pro-ready prospect in the draft considering his pro experience since age 13? So, is anybody really surprised that he's among the best rookies in the league and probably Dallas' best player? Not me.

Having said that, it's far too early to know whether the KINGS really blew it by passing on him. We won't know that for a few years, if we really ever know it at all.

Suppose Marvin Bagley develops into one of the best bigs in the league by year 2 or 3 or 4. And suppose Luka is also a star player. The better pick really comes down to fit.

It's hard to argue right now that the decision to put the ball in De'Aaron Fox's hands wasn't a good one. And Bagley has the look of a wonderful compliment to Fox due to his athleticism, quickness and ability to run the floor for a big man.

Also, the style the KINGS have opted to play doesn't work as well with multiple ball dominate players. While Luka is certainly skilled, he does need the ball in his hands to be most effective. And I'd rather have the ball in De'Aaron Fox's hands with the development and potential he's showing.

But if Marvin Bagley doesn't reach the potential he's showing, I will be a very pissed off fan. But for now, I've been converted to pro-MBIII.

Some of the stuff he was doing in the Rockets game was flat out amazing, he's just got that special it ability in him. I wondering how more explosive if at all he will become once he gets a few NBA off-seasons into him cause everything else is there. I love Bags and Doncic but for me still atm long term I'm taking JJJ I have seen him man handle DJ/Giannis and a few others at the age of 19 and he's got mad skills.

Side note seeing Chriss it that game the Suns did the PF version of Mclemore and Stauskas with Chriss and Bender

Coming from someone that was part of the pro-Luka crowd, wasn't it kind of expected that he was the most pro-ready prospect in the draft considering his pro experience since age 13? So, is anybody really surprised that he's among the best rookies in the league and probably Dallas' best player? Not me.

Having said that, it's far too early to know whether the KINGS really blew it by passing on him. We won't know that for a few years, if we really ever know it at all.

Suppose Marvin Bagley develops into one of the best bigs in the league by year 2 or 3 or 4. And suppose Luka is also a star player. The better pick really comes down to fit.

It's hard to argue right now that the decision to put the ball in De'Aaron Fox's hands wasn't a good one. And Bagley has the look of a wonderful compliment to Fox due to his athleticism, quickness and ability to run the floor for a big man.

Also, the style the KINGS have opted to play doesn't work as well with multiple ball dominate players. While Luka is certainly skilled, he does need the ball in his hands to be most effective. And I'd rather have the ball in De'Aaron Fox's hands with the development and potential he's showing.

But if Marvin Bagley doesn't reach the potential he's showing, I will be a very pissed off fan. But for now, I've been converted to pro-MBIII.
Yes, but at the same time most if not everyone capped his ppg in the very low 20s including me. He’s already there

And I’ll always argue aganinst the idiotic taking the ball out of Fox hands like he’s the second coming. The ball gets taken out of Curry/Lebron/Kyrie hands all the time. Look at night when Fox is having a bad game it would be nice to have an elite playmaker with him.

And I agree with @Nokidding JJJ is special I don’t know if I had it written on the forum but I was extremely high on him and would have took him over Ayton

I remember lots of posts about "he's not athletic enough, he can't finish, he can't get past any defender, he can't create separation from his defender, he was good overseas" and so on with pathetic trash.
I laughed back in the day and I'm still laughing, enjoying the show at the same time.
And most important, this has nothing to do with Bagley and our pick.
MBIII is showing great flashes and he could turn into a great player.
Hyperbole ON.
He could even turn into our Hakeem in the 1984 draft. You know what I mean.
Hyperbole OFF.

Yes, but at the same time most if not everyone capped his ppg in the very low 20s including me. He’s already there

And I’ll always argue aganinst the idiotic taking the ball out of Fox hands like he’s the second coming. The ball gets taken out of Curry/Lebron/Kyrie hands all the time. Look at night when Fox is having a bad game it would be nice to have an elite playmaker with him.

And I agree with @Nokidding JJJ is special I don’t know if I had it written on the forum but I was extremely high on him and would have took him over Ayton
Same here although only after watching both in the NBA since I don't watch college, there is just something crazy when a guy with his raw skills (reminds of Cousins the way he can dribble drive the ball and pass but more athletic/smarter) size (as mentioned putting the fear of god already into grown men) is doing some of the plays I see him doing no 19 year old should be pulling off.

I have some doubts over Doncic coming in cause I watched him in Euroleague put I think after seeing him in the 1st or 2nd preseason game against Convington/Simmons get better as the guy went along and a couple times drove by them (struggled earlier in the game to do so) I was at that point sold, the guy can think his way through a game and just has that split second brilliance you see out of Curry/Irving/Harden/Paul.

I was afraid to come in here and read the discussion, because I knew it would hurt... And it does. I like what Marvin in showing for us, but passing on Doncic was a mistake. And some of us knew it from the beginning. So sad to see him doing what he's doing in a Mavs jersey, when he could be doing the same for the Kings. Still I can't explain how Vlade passed on him.

I was fortunate enough to see Luka live in Europe. One of the most talented 18 yr olds I've ever seen. Many in the states underrated him as they just aren't that engaged/familiar with the Euro scene.

Bagley will be good. But he has support player 2nd/3rd option type game.

Luka has #1 option, build around him game.

Different tiers and class of players.

Luka was the clear #1 prospect in this draft for me. This kid hasn't even adapted to the NBA game yet.

The idea Fox and Luka couldn't have gelled is one of the dumbest arguments I've seen. Two guard/wing stars have been very common amongst some of the best teams historically.

It was the wrong decision IMO. I’m thinking I can say that now, based on how “special” Luka looks. He’s impacting the game far greater, and it’s hard for me to see a point that doesn’t continue

Only questions are how wrong and to what level of accountability

Thankfully Fox is erasing a lot of damage, looking like the best prospect in his class. You win some/lose some

Bagley long term for me but it appears both are going to be all-star caliber level players. If you can’t see that 8n Bagley yet, might want to keep watching.
He’s getting better, and showing glimpses. His team BBIQ and defense must improve though. Needs to see floor better. His rotations, boxing out, passing/playmaking and rim protection aren’t there yet (at 19).

But he’s improving and better than a few weeks back

I remember lots of posts about "he's not athletic enough, he can't finish, he can't get past any defender, he can't create separation from his defender, he was good overseas" and so on with pathetic trash.
I laughed back in the day and I'm still laughing, enjoying the show at the same time.
And most important, this has nothing to do with Bagley and our pick.
MBIII is showing great flashes and he could turn into a great player.
Hyperbole ON.
He could even turn into our Hakeem in the 1984 draft. You know what I mean.
Hyperbole OFF.
Well, I wasn't one of those people. I was praising and lobbying for him same as you. I was pissed on draft night when Vlade passed on him.

But I do think Bagley might prove to be the better pick and better fit in due time. I'm not convinced one way or the other yet. Just hopeful. But I do see the logic in the Bagley selection now whereas I couldn't when it initially happened.

Well, I wasn't one of those people. I was praising and lobbying for him same as you. I was pissed on draft night when Vlade passed on him.

But I do think Bagley might prove to be the better pick and better fit in due time. I'm not convinced one way or the other yet. Just hopeful. But I do see the logic in the Bagley selection now whereas I couldn't when it initially happened.
I'm in this same camp. And I was reluctant to accept Bagley until I saw 2018 Fox and the style the Kings want to play with and that we are ahead of the curve that I (who would probably one of the more optimistic for this season) had imagined.

Luka was ready and a lot of that factoring into my process was that we don't have the 2019 pick and it could really help us save face to get the best player in year one. But I really do think long term we know nothing. It's all guesses. Luka is not a typical 19 year old rookie because of all the pro experience he already has. Does that mean he has LeBron's ceiling or does it mean that he's a Gordon Hayward that didn't take 4 years for anyone to notice? I don't know and neither do any of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.