Luka Doncic (the 'LET'S RE-LITIGATE THE PICK UNTO PERPETUITY~!' thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've come around on Bagley after a decent start to the season but I still enjoy following Luka and will probably continue to do so more than I normally would with other non Kings players. He is on his way to being one of the top stars in the game imo and I like seeing average athletic players dominate using skill and BBIQ. Dirk really seems taken aback by him and I've always admired his style and attitude towards the game.

I've come around on Bagley after a decent start to the season but I still enjoy following Luka and will probably continue to do so more than I normally would with other non Kings players. He is on his way to being one of the top stars in the game imo and I like seeing average athletic players dominate using skill and BBIQ. Dirk really seems taken aback by him and I've always admired his style and attitude towards the game.
Love Dirk one of the most underrated players of all time, I’d take him over Kobe

Luca's decision making and vision on the court is unbelievable. He's responsible for 11 points in the 4th and tied the game with seconds remaining against the Lakers. DSJ is a blackhole, him out the offense runs much better through Luca. The kid can play.

Guys, guess what!!!! I built a time machine!!!! We can go back and draft Doncic!!!!
Why don't you go forward in time and find out who had the better career? That's the only way this is going to be resolved. Oh, and you can find out whether one of them will be in a car accident in 4 years and wreck his knee. And if anyone wants to chime in with other ways a career can go off the rails ...

Guys, guess what!!!! I built a time machine!!!! We can go back and draft Doncic!!!!
And to this point that would have been much better for the franchise, and thus someone needs to be held accountable IMO if that continues to be true.

Are you the one making those silly Ball disses on RealGM, when a lot of NBA fans/pundits think the same about this situation so far?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
And to this point that would have been much better for the franchise, and thus someone needs to be held accountable IMO if that continues to be true.

Are you the one making those silly Ball disses on RealGM, when a lot of NBA fans/pundits think the same about this situation so far?
If Bagley goes on to be a key cog in this run'n'gun Kings system over the next decade, no one is going to be worried about who needs to be held accountable regardless of how well Luka does.

Last edited:
If Bagley goes on to be a key cog in this run'n'gun Kings system over the next decade, no one is going to be worried about who needs to be held accountable regardless of how well Luka does.
Maybe, brother. But, Luka can be so talented as to supersede the question... really. And let's see some better hints from Bags than this last stretch

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Why don't you go forward in time and find out who had the better career? That's the only way this is going to be resolved. Oh, and you can find out whether one of them will be in a car accident in 4 years and wreck his knee. And if anyone wants to chime in with other ways a career can go off the rails ...
ACK! No, no, no, no, no. I have a standing rule of almost 18 years that nobody talks about potential injuries. Karma and all that...

The script hasn't been written on their careers not even 20 games in. I still dont get this narrative.

And I dont post on realgm. Dont have an account.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
ACK! No, no, no, no, no. I have a standing rule of almost 18 years that nobody talks about potential injuries. Karma and all that...
You'd think that as Kings fans, we'd be particularly sensitive to conversations about burgeoning young stars getting into horrific car crashes.

Sorry, didn't want to bring up bad memories. My basic point is that who's right or wrong in this argument can not be decided until their careers are over, so why bother arguing? Who knows, maybe my grandchildren can post in this thread some day!

Views to embrace:

- Bagley & Fox, will lead us to the promised land. Both are very young and have done more to hold their own against grown men. Bagley is a ready made running mate for Fox, a legitimate athletic big to put next to our all star point guard. They are core pieces who we are able to build around for the next 10 years legitimately.

- Fox is better then Doncic, now and for the forseeable future. Having Fox rendered contemplating drafting Doncic redundant. The two would have taken away from each others strengths. Anyone who argues otherwise is just arguing for the sake of it. Doncic is literally a younger version of Bogdanovic who adds more to us now then Doncic would have.

- Doncic might not be the best guard in his class. Young has hit the ground running and is lighting it up

I am not hating on Doncic, he has amazing skill and youth on his side and will be an all star. We have our own star blooming and its worth embracing and building around. We couldnt do it with Cousins but ill be damed if we dont do it with Fox. Drafting Bagley was the first step this franchise took to build in a foundationally correct manner around a star.

Having Fox rendered contemplating drafting Doncic redundant. The two would have taken away from each others strengths. Anyone who argues otherwise is just arguing for the sake of it. Doncic is literally a younger version of Bogdanovic who adds more to us now then Doncic would have.
This line of thinking is so flawed, I can't believe you guys are still talking about it. Almost all the best teams have multiple ball handlers.

The only way your argument would hold any water would be if either one of Fox or Doncic couldn't shot the ball. At the moment Fox is shooting 44% from deep and Doncic 39% from deep. They would play together perfectly fine. If Fox isn't running the play, he's a good shooter to kick the ball out to. If they run a play with Doncic and they can't get anything off, Fox would be an excellent emergency outlet to give the ball to with a few seconds left on the shot clock to try and eek out a basket.

It works both ways. Would you rather have Luka in the corner shooting 3s or JJ? If they have nothing going on offense, would you rather have Doncic with the ball at the end of the shot clock or JJ?

There is no such thing as redundant play making abilities. The more guys you have that have good court vision and can pass, the better your team is going to be period. The only real arguments against it that make a lick of sense would be if one of the players couldn't shoot or if one of the players was a major liability on defense to the point where it negates his offensive abilities. Otherwise there is no case to make against it and if you do you're basically saying the early 2000s Kings, the Warriors dynasty and last years Rockets all made mistakes by having multiple players on the team that could handle the ball.

This line of thinking is so flawed, I can't believe you guys are still talking about it. Almost all the best teams have multiple ball handlers.

The only way your argument would hold any water would be if either one of Fox or Doncic couldn't shot the ball. At the moment Fox is shooting 44% from deep and Doncic 39% from deep. They would play together perfectly fine. If Fox isn't running the play, he's a good shooter to kick the ball out to. If they run a play with Doncic and they can't get anything off, Fox would be an excellent emergency outlet to give the ball to with a few seconds left on the shot clock to try and eek out a basket.

It works both ways. Would you rather have Luka in the corner shooting 3s or JJ? If they have nothing going on offense, would you rather have Doncic with the ball at the end of the shot clock or JJ?

There is no such thing as redundant play making abilities. The more guys you have that have good court vision and can pass, the better your team is going to be period. The only real arguments against it that make a lick of sense would be if one of the players couldn't shoot or if one of the players was a major liability on defense to the point where it negates his offensive abilities. Otherwise there is no case to make against it and if you do you're basically saying the early 2000s Kings, the Warriors dynasty and last years Rockets all made mistakes by having multiple players on the team that could handle the ball.
I would rather Bagley on the floor with Fox then Doncic.

It’s embarrassing that people still think that way that’s been false for a decade now and Luka is doing fine with smith having a higher usage rate

Views to embrace:

- Bagley & Fox, will lead us to the promised land. Both are very young and have done more to hold their own against grown men. Bagley is a ready made running mate for Fox, a legitimate athletic big to put next to our all star point guard. They are core pieces who we are able to build around for the next 10 years legitimately.

- Fox is better then Doncic, now and for the forseeable future. Having Fox rendered contemplating drafting Doncic redundant. The two would have taken away from each others strengths. Anyone who argues otherwise is just arguing for the sake of it. Doncic is literally a younger version of Bogdanovic who adds more to us now then Doncic would have.

- Doncic might not be the best guard in his class. Young has hit the ground running and is lighting it up

I am not hating on Doncic, he has amazing skill and youth on his side and will be an all star. We have our own star blooming and its worth embracing and building around. We couldnt do it with Cousins but ill be damed if we dont do it with Fox. Drafting Bagley was the first step this franchise took to build in a foundationally correct manner around a star.
Lol comparing Bogdan you luka is an insult at the same age there not even comparable players. Matter fact Luka rookie year looks better than Bogies rookie year. So you’d rather have Bagley in there instead of another ball handler who is shooting 38% from 3 on 7 attempts. Fox-Buddy-Luka-Bjlecia-WCS than go small with Fox-Buddy-Bogdan-Luka-WCS would have been lethal.

How is Young lighting it up? Luka is having a better year and this is with Atlanta running everything thru Young ala Tyreke.

Trae: 16ppg-3rpg-8apg-4TPG (49/25/80)
Luka: 19ppg-6rpg-4apg-4TPG (52/39/75)

Trae can only guard 1 position and that’s if he could guard Luka will be able to switch 1-4 and has shown that in clutch situations

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
If the Kings were 3-11, Fox was still looking lost and Bags looked like he did in Summer League in the games Fox didn't play, some of y'all might have something to crow about.

But if you still can't appreciate that Fox is looking great, the Kings are playing above even the rosiest fans' expectations and Bags is putting up solid PER numbers while being eased in, if you can't look at 2-3 years future, smile and say "Damn", then I'm just sorry for you.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Sorry, didn't want to bring up bad memories. My basic point is that who's right or wrong in this argument can not be decided until their careers are over, so why bother arguing?
I tend to be of the opinion that most (all?) of these sorts of speculative discussions are pointless, and a waste of time, but this message board would operate really weirdly if we attempted to enforce this as a policy. I mean, not talking about how a player compares to another player until both their careers are over is certainly... an option, but I don't know how viable it is for this format.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
It’s embarrassing that people still think that way that’s been false for a decade now and Luka is doing fine with smith having a higher usage rate...
It's not that it's a sentiment that's been false for a decade, because it's actually not. But it's definitely a sentiment that hearkens back to a particular era in the NBA when "ball handler" was synonymous with "ball hog," and had no other connotations pertaining to NBA basketball. Like, you don't want two ball handlers on a team if they're both ball-stoppers, who need to dribble for nineteen seconds of the shot clock. But, as far as having multiple ball handlers who want to keep the ball moving... who doesn't want that?

That being said, my personal ethos means that I have no interest in rooting for a team whose best player is a guard.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Sorry, didn't want to bring up bad memories. My basic point is that who's right or wrong in this argument can not be decided until their careers are over, so why bother arguing? Who knows, maybe my grandchildren can post in this thread some day!
Why bother arguing? Have you met us? This is KingsFans.com We'll argue about pretty much anything. ;)

If the Kings were 3-11, Fox was still looking lost and Bags looked like he did in Summer League in the games Fox didn't play, some of y'all might have something to crow about.

But if you still can't appreciate that Fox is looking great, the Kings are playing above even the rosiest fans' expectations and Bags is putting up solid PER numbers while being eased in, if you can't look at 2-3 years future, smile and say "Damn", then I'm just sorry for you.
Why would a good start affect the Doncic-Bagley debate when Bagley really is helping the cause. We all love our start and Fox but we still need a wing scorer/playmaker

Status
Not open for further replies.