Luka Doncic (the 'LET'S RE-LITIGATE THE PICK UNTO PERPETUITY~!' thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I mostly agree, I could still see Bamba being super effective as a rim runner who can spot up for three in this system. Not that it matters now.
Agreed but I can make a case for franchise players In Ayton, Doncic, and Young with star potential in Bagley and Jackson I stugglento see either potential so far with Bamba

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Agreed but I can make a case for franchise players In Ayton, Doncic, and Young with star potential in Bagley and Jackson I stugglento see either potential so far with Bamba
Some of the projection for Bamba is personality related. He's not merely freakishly long and athletic, he's also an incredibly bright and articulate human being and some of us think that increases the odds that he'll meet his potential. Hassan Whiteside had the right physical tools but his attitude held him back for a few years. Bamba is potentially the opposite of that where his attitude might give him an advantage? We'll see if that turns out to be true or not.

Some of the projection for Bamba is personality related. He's not merely freakishly long and athletic, he's also an incredibly bright and articulate human being and some of us think that increases the odds that he'll meet his potential. Hassan Whiteside had the right physical tools but his attitude held him back for a few years. Bamba is potentially the opposite of that where his attitude might give him an advantage? We'll see if that turns out to be true or not.
True but I’d definitely take 6 guys over him including Wendell Carter

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
[Modding]

Several posts in this thread have been moved to the mods-only forum, while we discuss what to do with them. All of that really should have been handled in a private conversation, anyway; it was strangling the life out of this thread, and I accept most of the responsibility for that.

As far as the title of the thread, I still stand by it, because I don't consider it to be antagonistic, I consider it to be accurate. Since it was fairly pointed out that the entire 2,500 some-odd posts in the thread weren't re-litigating the pick, however, I have audited the thread, separated the ones which preceded when all this re-litigation started, and returned them to the wild. The rest remain here.

If you think that the thread title is too antagonistic, then suggest a new title that you think is less antagonistic, but means the same thing, and if I like it, I'll change it.

Probably. NBA regular season defenses are not a reliable test.
He's not a natural scorer, his number are not going to increase a lot. As soon as finds someone who can score, he's gonna increase the efficiency.
Assist/to ratio looks bad right now.
Talking about the Mavs, I'm badly impressed by Matthews and Jordan. It's pretty clear they're both playing for the next contact.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
His performances aren’t letting us off the hook from thinking about it. He really going to through his rookie season scoring 20+ every other night?

It's not like the guy we picked hasn't looked every bit the future star either. I truly believe that this will be one of those legendary drafts that produces multiple stars like the 2003 or 1996 drafts and all five of the top guys in the draft all look like potential franchise changing talents. Now where all five guys wind up in terms of star-power is yet to be determined but there's no question that Luka is number one right now.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
His performances aren’t letting us off the hook from thinking about it.
Only if you are overly obsessed with how a player does his rookie year. I'm more interested in 2-3 years from now. Luka was always billed as the most NBA-ready out of the gate. I expected him to play well and am glad he is. But I am more interested in seeing how our pick is playing in a couple years.

BTW, last I heard on a per-36 basis Bagley is putting up some pretty comparable numbers. Like Tetsujin said, lots of players doing just fine out of the gate and looking good for the future.

Another thing, besides Doncic showing potential superstar stuff that could change my mind is Bagley not showing enough. He’s been bad lately. Walking - in +/- where I’m not comfortable when he’s in. At this point, Bjelica may start his entire contract from what I’m seeing. Bagley hasn’t shown good BBIQ on D, and if I see him walked in from the three point line again I’m losing it. He needs to show a lot more for someone’s job security, and as the 2 pick he needs to hold his own as a non negative, even at 19, like Young/JJJ/Carter et al

Warhawk

Staff member
Another thing, besides Doncic showing potential superstar stuff that could change my mind is Bagley not showing enough. He’s been bad lately. Walking - in +/- where I’m not comfortable when he’s in. At this point, Bjelica may start his entire contract from what I’m seeing. Bagley hasn’t shown good BBIQ on D, and if I see him walked in from the three point line again I’m losing it. He needs to show a lot more for someone’s job security, and as the 2 pick he needs to hold his own as a non negative, even at 19, like Young/JJJ/Carter et al
Again. He is 1/10 of the games into his rookie season. Why the hell are we so darn impatient?

Warhawk

Staff member
I want the team to win games. IMO he hurts the team when he’s in the game, when he should be serviceable even at his age for his pick slot. He needs to be serviceable now
The team is 7-5 and Bagley has generally played well. He's a rookie. Some uneven play is to be expected.

We aren't winning any championship this year. The important part is whether he is whether he is one of the top players out of this draft class in a couple of years when this team matures a bit more and we add some pieces to fill in the gaps around Fox, Buddy, Bagley, Bogdan, Nemanja, and maybe WCS. Again, let's not get all hot and bothered over a Tyreke when we may have a Curry that needs a couple years to round out his game. You can't be so short-sighted. Well, you can, it just doesn't do any good.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
The team is 7-5 and Bagley has generally played well. He's a rookie. Some uneven play is to be expected.

We aren't winning any championship this year. The important part is whether he is whether he is one of the top players out of this draft class in a couple of years when this team matures a bit more and we add some pieces to fill in the gaps around Fox, Buddy, Bagley, Bogdan, Nemanja, and maybe WCS. Again, let's not get all hot and bothered over a Tyreke when we may have a Curry that needs a couple years to round out his game. You can't be so short-sighted. Well, you can, it just doesn't do any good.
Damn, that 7-5 got Kings fans feeling themselves.

Curry was 17-5-6 that’s ROY numbers I won’t get into Doncic vs Evans

Overall, temperature on the draft pick as of today, not good.

The fact that many peers are playing better, the fact I have a non-full confidence he will be a cornerstone with Fox/Buddy, the fact that I hesitate when he comes in games..

Temperature 11/10/2018, FO for my desire will have to be relieved for this important pick if it stays the same after the season

Bagley, come up..

Luka has been awesome and posting 20.2/6.5/4.2 while being 19 and playing the most important (and hardest to find) position aka wing creator.

.599 TS%, .403 3PT% on 6.5 attempts per game. I knew he would be good but him being that great this quickly is surprising

I'm happy for him but at the same time very sad that we passed on him.

Doncic off to a good start and Dallas is a surprise contender.....oh wait.
Rookies on a big role rarely contribute to winning, especially ball handling offensive creators. For example Fox was one of the worst real plus minus players last year. But to be a rookie, being asked to create a lot of offense and put up numbers like Luke while being efficent at the same time is extremely rare.

Mavs being a bad team has as much to do with Luka as our good start has to do with Bagley. When you judge the performance of a rookie, you should look at how he manages a big role and how efficent is he doing it. So far Luka has been incredible and looks to be easily the best rookie of his class without a question. Its also a very short sample size but so far Doncic has looked very good

I want the team to win games. IMO he hurts the team when he’s in the game, when he should be serviceable even at his age for his pick slot. He needs to be serviceable now
Weren’t you a huge Fox fan? Fox wasn’t serviceable last year either. In fact, Fox had the worst advanced stats in the league among the rookies and didn’t even make the 2nd team all rookie team. Many were making the case Fox was a bust last year.

This year Vlade appears to be vindicated on Fox. Fox looks very good and is still getting better. Bagley like Fox has flashed some incredible potential but still has a long was to go. It would stand to reason, given the example we have before us, to wait a year before passing definitive judgement on who is the better player.

Weren’t you a huge Fox fan? Fox wasn’t serviceable last year either. In fact, Fox had the worst advanced stats in the league among the rookies and didn’t even make the 2nd team all rookie team. Many were making the case Fox was a bust last year.

This year Vlade appears to be vindicated on Fox. Fox looks very good and is still getting better. Bagley like Fox has flashed some incredible potential but still has a long was to go. It would stand to reason, given the example we have before us, to wait a year before passing definitive judgement on who is the better player.
He did. And you can history my posting on Fox for what my position was: He showed star flashes, but I was sick/maddened of the inconsistency and hoped it was coaching/not taking first year seriously. But he showed star ability to me, which I made clear in last season/offseason threads. Not seeing that here

Status
Not open for further replies.