Luka Doncic (pre and post-draft discussion thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s the part you took? Look I’ve been Kings fan through a lot of crap I don’t want to see another bust especially at #2. This kid will be average player at best
Andres nocioni has more ppg and more rebounds and better % in euro league then came to nba. The 14pts and 4ast doncic got per game will prob be his best season in the NBA.
Back to back like this don’t be a troll.

Whose your pick at 2 then

One of the reasons I want Doncic is it takes the ball handling pressure off of Fox. Last year we looked like crap unless A) Bogdan was handling ball or B) Fox was having a good game and handling ball.

If we draft Doncic likely two but certainly one of Fox, Bogi, Doncic will be on the floor at all times and none of them will have the brunt of full pressure put on them to run the offense at all times. This will allow Fox to imo grow into what his best skillset could be down the line, a ball hounding defender who can guard 1's and 2's. With less pressure on him on offense he can make himself a more rounded player.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Back to back like this don’t be a troll.

Whose your pick at 2 then
I don’t have a favorite yet. I like Ayton. And doncic could be a nice addition to a good team as a role player. He just isn’t a franchise player. At #2 that’s what you are aiming for. Peja was one of the greatest euro leugue players and he was never considered a franchise player. Doncic couldn’t tie peja shoes

I don’t have a favorite yet. I like Ayton. And doncic could be a nice addition to a good team as a role player. He just isn’t a franchise player. At #2 that’s what you are aiming for. Peja was one of the greatest euro leugue players and he was never considered a franchise player. Doncic couldn’t tie peja shoes
So what’s your big board than?

Ayton has weaknesses too his defense is bad and his motor is hot and cold

Ok here is my gripe. He is touted as this great playmaker and passing abilities are out of this world. Yet his ast are that of and average pg I college. Then I see the 3pt % from closer than NBA and its that of an average college player. His defensive skills are that of an average college player. His athleticism is that of a below average college player. Then I get the “professional basketball”. I watch it and it reminds me of an average March tournament. Jimmer is all star overseas. If doncic puts up those numbers in college he doesn’t even sniff the lottery
You’re not taking into account the difference between Euroleague and the American game. The pace of play, average minutes, usage is much different and the stats are often(almost always) misleading when viewing it the way we view stats in the NBA. Doncic EL numbers at age 19 are ridiculous. Example. Rubios best EL season assist wise was about 4. This season was the first time he averaged less than 8 in the NBA. There are some
Exception..Bogdan for example has similar numbers to his last EL season except he shot and scored less and his role was lesser than that on his EL team.

As for Jimmer. He’s tearing it up in a China league that nobody takes seriously and last I checked Stephon Marbury was either still, or very recently a star in. The fact that it’s apparently all the same to you lends me to believe you don’t know what you’re saying.

Entity

Hall of Famer
You’re not taking into account the difference between Euroleague and the American game. The pace of play, average minutes, usage is much different and the stats are often(almost always) misleading when viewing it the way we view stats in the NBA. Doncic EL numbers at age 19 are ridiculous. Example. Rubios best EL season assist wise was about 4. This season was the first time he averaged less than 8 in the NBA. There are some
Exception..Bogdan for example has similar numbers to his last EL season except he shot and scored less and his role was lesser than that on his EL team.

As for Jimmer. He’s tearing it up in a China league that nobody takes seriously and last I checked Stephon Marbury was either still, or very recently a star in. The fact that it’s apparently all the same to you lends me to believe you don’t know what you’re saying.
You proved my point for me. Like you said jimmer and stephon are elite over there. They couldn’t sniff the court in the NBA right now.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Also he's not the primary pg on his team and wouldn't be on the Kings. He'd certainly help Fox and Buddy out, and when he is out with Fox and Bogs there will be 3 guys with PG skills on the floor. He's a guy that almost assuredly makes 3 of our core pieces better when he shares the floor with them. That's a big part of the appeal.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Also he's not the primary pg on his team and wouldn't be on the Kings. He'd certainly help Fox and Buddy out, and when he is out with Fox and Bogs there will be 3 guys with PG skills on the floor. He's a guy that almost assuredly makes 3 of our core pieces better when he shares the floor with them. That's a big part of the appeal.
That’s the only thing anybody is saying. He is a good passer. I thought we needed a go to. A man that will get you 2 pts when you desperately need 2pts.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I understand the fears about Doncic’s upside, given his lack of athleticism, but putting his ceiling at 14/4 is silly.

Dude is aggressive (he goes to the line a bunch), is a good shooter (his numbers are depressed by all the "Kobe" shots he takes, being the man on his team) and his assist numbers will absolutely be higher in the NBA, where players are awarded them much more liberally than in Europe.

If we drafted him, I would love to see him as the main ball handler of the team. He could probably come in and average 16/8 as a rookie.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I understand the fears about Doncic’s upside, given his lack of athleticism, but putting his ceiling at 14/4 is silly.

Dude is aggressive (he goes to the line a bunch), is a good shooter (his numbers are depressed by all the "Kobe" shots he takes, being the man on his team) and his assist numbers will absolutely be higher in the NBA, where players are awarded them much more liberally than in Europe.

If we drafted him, I would love to see him as the main ball handler of the team. He could probably come in and average 16/8 as a rookie.
So a guy that averaged 14 in euro league is gonna come in and average 16 in the NBA first season? The greatest European player EVER in Dirk averaged 8 pts his first season and doncic who is nowhere near the shooter dirk was is gonna double what dirk did? Lol. Maybe this is my problem you guys are setting way to high expectations on this guy. 8st also rookie season?

That’s the only thing anybody is saying. He is a good passer. I thought we needed a go to. A man that will get you 2 pts when you desperately need 2pts.
In general, I understand your concerns. The Kings need a #1 scorer, and there's questions whether or not Doncic has the ability to take over games and put an entire offense on his back. That's what this team needs.

However like every other prospect with the exception of Ayton...there's no sure-fire 20ppg player. It's a gamble whether it's Bagley or Doncic.

However, Doncic is a plus because he has a high floor. He also fills out much needed SF position. That's already 2 check marks, and he has more room to grow.

His physical limitations are extremely fair to bring up, and the questions about his scoring ability are also valid. No need to barrage anyone for having a difference of opinion. This is coming from someone who has Doncic #1 currently.

Euro leugue is not NBA. Not even close. Very few players transition well
You keep equating all leagues not in the NBA as Euroleague as if it is all the same. The league Doncic plays in is better than div. I college basketball. The teams playing in China would likely be between Div. III & Div.II college basketball. And I could be being nice to them putting them that high.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I mentioned jimmer once and it’s turned into a history lesson of Chinese basketball from 6 people. Lol. I just don’t think a good passing tweener SF that is average shooter is what our team needs.

I mentioned jimmer once and it’s turned into a history lesson of Chinese basketball from 6 people. Lol. I just don’t think a good passing tweener SF that is average shooter is what our team needs.
I can understand that. Luka is 3 years younger than Jimmer was at draft time and is a better ball handler/passer for his position and has better size. The only thing that Jimmer did better was shoot the ball. I get not liking Doncic, he's definitely not the perfect prospect.

I want to love Doncic at 2, i really do. Hes an exciting player.

But if I'm being totally honest with myself, I really see a Mike Dunleavy Jr type of player with better Passing/Leadership/slighty better scoring.

I'm not sure if thats # 2 worthy or not? (Mike Dunleavy JR went #3)

I don't feel like he'll be a bust in the NBA at all, i think he'll be solid.
But as of right now I'm not seeing franchise player either. I get it, hes only 19 right now so this could change quickly as he ages with NBA training.

Maybe in time he develops his quickness/strength and he becomes a Klay Thompson type of athlete? with less scoring and better passing, who knows?

But he does worry me a bit at #2, Kings need to get this pick right.

With Bagley I see a bigger/better rebounding Amare Stoudemire with a three point shot. With the Hustle/Motor of Kenneth Faried.

Potentially 20 ppg, 12 rpg, 1.5 3PG, on super high field goal percentage. He would cause fits for the opposition on the glass.

Again I want to Love Luka at 2, hes the exact type of player I love to watch, great passer, team player, good character, leader. But for some reason I am weary.

Something just isnt sitting right with me when I watch him, maybe that feelings wrong though?

as of right now I think I'd feel a lot safer taking Bagley.

No. You got a Chinese basketball lesson because you apparently didn’t know that there was a difference between the league level Jimmer is currently playing to the level Doncic is playing.

I noted that the CBA(China league) and Euroleague aren’t even close to the same levels since you mentioned Jimmers “overseas” success as if it meant anything in regards to the Euroleague. I put that into proper context and that somehow “proved your point”.

So people were unsure if you knew the Shanghai Sharks were not part of the EuroLeague. If you knew that but “overseas is overseas” then maybe you shouldn’t speak with such authority on this topic using the level of competition as your basis and forgive people who thought you were being deliberately dense(trolling) on the topic.

Fact is, Doncic is only 19 years old and is having unheard of success at his age in a league where extremely talented players in at that age often can’t get in the game even though to the American scouts, they are top prospects. He can easily grow into the guy that you go to “for the bucket” but you can at this time argue the same for every player in this draft. Doncic is the most offensively versatile player in the draft based on current data.

Doesn’t mean I’m 100 percent sold on him as our pick...but I’m not going to write him off based on the old shallow “they don’t transition” argument. Euroleague can be the only fit for some talent but it can be oppressive to other styles. Doncic game can be extremely fitting to today’s NBA even
more so than the Euroleague.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I want to love Doncic at 2, i really do. Hes an exciting player.

But if I'm being totally honest with myself, I really see a Mike Dunleavy Jr type of player with better Passing/Leadership/slighty better scoring.

I'm not sure if thats # 2 worthy or not? (Mike Dunleavy JR went #3)

I don't feel like he'll be a bust in the NBA at all, i think he'll be solid.
But as of right now I'm not seeing franchise player either. I get it, hes only 19 right now so this could change quickly as he ages with NBA training.

Maybe in time he develops his quickness/strength and he becomes a Klay Thompson type of athlete? with less scoring and better passing, who knows?

But he does worry me a bit at #2, Kings need to get this pick right.

With Bagley I see a bigger/better rebounding Amare Stoudemire with a three point shot. With the Hustle/Motor of Kenneth Faried.

Potentially 20 ppg, 12 rpg, 1.5 3PG, on super high field goal percentage. He would cause fits for the opposition on the glass.

Again I want to Love Luka at 2, hes the exact type of player I love to watch, great passer, team player, good character, leader. But for some reason I am weary.

Something just isnt sitting right with me when I watch him, maybe that feelings wrong though?

as of right now I think I'd feel a lot safer taking Bagley.
I'm getting to the same point. I think Bagley has a lower floor and more bust potential and it's legitimate to ask if he even fits in today's NBA but I can also more easily see him being a star than Doncic.

I think it's Porter's potential fit with the King's current roster that's leading me to look at him again. Looking for fit and taking a guy coming off injury are both bad ideas. I know that. And I think it's my fear of Doncic being a solid role player that's even having me go down that path.

Status
Not open for further replies.