Now
1. Fox 2. CoJo 3. Yogi
4. Buddy 5. Bogi 6. ______
7. Barnes 8. Ariza. 9. ______
10. Bags 11. Bjelly 12. Holmes
13. Dedmon 14. Giles 15. Swan

Two way
1. Guy 2. Gabriel

IF we keep Swan we are looking to at least need one more wing. If Guy only gets a 2-way, then JJ getting a roster spot would surprise me.

Waive Swan, turn Gabriel into roster player, sign a wing, sign another 2 way.

1. Fox 2. CoJo 3. Yogi
4. Buddy 5. Bogi 6. ______
7. Barnes 8. Ariza. 9. Shump or A. Bradley
10. Bags 11. Bjelly 12. Gabriel
13. Dedmon 14. Giles 15. Holmes

Two way
1. Guy 2. Mika

China
JJ

If he was on the main roster, he would likely never even be active barring an injury to a guard.

Sounds like a great use of the G-league.

If Guy develops a little more, he should slide right into Yogi's 3rd PG/outside shooter role next year.
This is what I was thinking. If there's an opportunity to use him due to injury (hopefully not major) they have the 45 roster days to work with and could always be converted later in the season in a worst case scenario. Next year, he could be a cheaper alternative to Yogi.

Kyle is small for a 2 guard. Sam Mitchell the announcer was addressing this issue and his opinion having coached in the NBA, was that there are really no shooting guards in the NBA that Guy could match up with. That seems harsh, but may be more true than we think.

Kyle is small for a 2 guard. Sam Mitchell the announcer was addressing this issue and his opinion having coached in the NBA, was that there are really no shooting guards in the NBA that Guy could match up with. That seems harsh, but may be more true than we think.
Same could be said for Seth Curry, he could certainly match up with back ups but not starters.

From watching the highlights, Kyle Guy is not timid or hesitant to shoot no matter what his defender is doing. With taller defenders he seems to love the double-step-back jump-stop to create extra space, hopping at different angles laterally. He has a nice looking bounce pass. His left is not as poor as others noted, but its not really a strength either. He is an undersized shooter, and reminds me a little of Tyus Edney in his moves to get open though a few inches taller and more of a shooter. He does not have the elite athleticism of say Bobby Jackson for his size, but will hopefully get some chances in Preseason on the 2-way to see how he looks. There will be a good deal of pressure on him to make shots at a high percentage. If he manages to take advantage of his early looks by coaching/staff, he could have an outside chance of breaking into end of the rotation or for spot minutes involving adding a shooter on the floor. He may struggle against athletic top defenders if in the regular season and focused upon; against other bench players he may be ok. I think the House comparison is little off - he's a more rounded player than House, but probably not as good a shooter either.

Guy signing a 2 way contract is actually his best shot at making the NBA.

Guy really needs to work on his point guard skills to make it in the NBA. He wouldn't be able to do that on the big league club. The following year, he may be relied on to fill Yogi's role as 3rd PG.

If Guy signed a 2 way deal, I expect the Kings to do the same with Justin James. I think the Kings will covert Weynen Gabriel to a big league Kings contract soon.

People keep penciling in Swanigan. Are we stuck with him contractually? I don’t see what he does well.
His contract is guaranteed, so he would have to get beat out to be cut. I don't see him breaking into the top 13, and as a 3rd year player, that isn't good.
If none of the camp rookies stand out, he could hold on to a roster spot until something better comes along during the season.

My thoughts, too, on watching him in Summer League. Tons of confidence but diminutive. Jimmer type of problem - great shot but only if he has a lot of space, and could actually hurt you in other dimensions of the game.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
It would really depend on who you put him on the floor with. For instance, if you pair him with Bogdanovic, Bog's could play the point while Guy plays off the ball, very similar to what Mike Bibby did. But on defense, Bog's guards the other teams SG while Guy guards the PG. To be honest, I've been somewhat impressed with Guy's ability to run the team from the point. Given a year in the G-League, and he might be just fine at the point.

I think long term he needs to tighten up his handles a bit more to play the point, but they're not bad now.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
From watching the highlights, Kyle Guy is not timid or hesitant to shoot no matter what his defender is doing. With taller defenders he seems to love the double-step-back jump-stop to create extra space, hopping at different angles laterally. He has a nice looking bounce pass. His left is not as poor as others noted, but its not really a strength either. He is an undersized shooter, and reminds me a little of Tyus Edney in his moves to get open though a few inches taller and more of a shooter. He does not have the elite athleticism of say Bobby Jackson for his size, but will hopefully get some chances in Preseason on the 2-way to see how he looks. There will be a good deal of pressure on him to make shots at a high percentage. If he manages to take advantage of his early looks by coaching/staff, he could have an outside chance of breaking into end of the rotation or for spot minutes involving adding a shooter on the floor. He may struggle against athletic top defenders if in the regular season and focused upon; against other bench players he may be ok. I think the House comparison is little off - he's a more rounded player than House, but probably not as good a shooter either.
Just to be fair, Edney was around 5'10", while Guy is 6'2". I realize that in today's league, everyone wants a 6'5" PG, but come on, 6'2" isn't that small. Chris Paul is listed at 6'0". Pat Beverly is 6'1". The difference with Guy is strength, which I'm sure he'll be working on all summer. Otherwise, I agree with you.

My thoughts, too, on watching him in Summer League. Tons of confidence but diminutive. Jimmer type of problem - great shot but only if he has a lot of space, and could actually hurt you in other dimensions of the game.
Guy "could actually hurt you in other dimensions of the game"?? I'm impressed with Guy's game. He'll be a defensive liability, at least for awhile. But beyond that, I don't see how we can hurt the team. He's got fair speed, can score, has BBIQ, and will get stronger. There is always a need for someone with his skill set, even if he's limited due to his size.

Guy has the best chance to make the Kings roster of the rooks and other SL players. Gabriel and Mika are almost good enough, but not quite. The competition level in the league is fierce. The game is fast and aggressive all the time. Watching a game up close makes it really obvious. Thompson and Doyle have had some good games but they are not very consistent.

It's a shame Doyle has such a terrible assist to turnover ratio because to me he would have a good shot at making it in the league as a backup PG. He's a very good defender and has a good outside shot but he simply can't run the point efficiently to safe his life. Hasn't done it in college or the G League.

Guy would get absolutely torched in the NBA right now. I'm not exactly sure what it is you guys are seeing besides him being able to shoot. Brady Heslip can shoot lights out but he can't even sniff an NBA court. There's a lot more that goes into the game than just the ball leaving your hands accurately.

Most of the guys in summer league have some sort of major problem holding them back whether it's shooting, defense, IQ, ball handling, decision making etc. Just being good at one of those things isn't good enough to get you playing time on an NBA roster.

To me, the closest to making the squad is Wenyen. He's shown the ability to be able to play good defense, rebound and shoot somewhat adequately. Kind of has a bit of Mbah a Moute to his game. His main problems in SL have been fouling and free throw shooting. Seems like he's shooting about 15% from the line right now.

I really doubt most late second rounders jump right on a roster unless it was the Kings a few years ago so it amazes me how many folks look at a rookie with no NBA experience and can say that the new ones are all busts.

Bagley can’t go to his right, WCS will be a great defensive presence and I can go on but we also gave up on a few who had some great years after they left us.

Yes James will have to spend some time in the G league and polish his game and hopefully can end up a decent player.
And Guy will need to get stronger and learn how to play more of a point guard position in the G league.

A lot of players in college are asked to fill rolls that may hurt them in their future and the ones who can get stronger and adapt their game to the NBA will have different degrees of success.

But our two rookies will get their chance over the next few years and will either fade away with the next crop of shiny new pennies or be dealt away and some will see playing time in the nba.

dude12

Hall of Famer
It's a shame Doyle has such a terrible assist to turnover ratio because to me he would have a good shot at making it in the league as a backup PG. He's a very good defender and has a good outside shot but he simply can't run the point efficiently to safe his life. Hasn't done it in college or the G League.

Guy would get absolutely torched in the NBA right now. I'm not exactly sure what it is you guys are seeing besides him being able to shoot. Brady Heslip can shoot lights out but he can't even sniff an NBA court. There's a lot more that goes into the game than just the ball leaving your hands accurately.

Most of the guys in summer league have some sort of major problem holding them back whether it's shooting, defense, IQ, ball handling, decision making etc. Just being good at one of those things isn't good enough to get you playing time on an NBA roster.

To me, the closest to making the squad is Wenyen. He's shown the ability to be able to play good defense, rebound and shoot somewhat adequately. Kind of has a bit of Mbah a Moute to his game. His main problems in SL have been fouling and free throw shooting. Seems like he's shooting about 15% from the line right now.
I think on Guy, besides the shooting, he’s shown an ability to create his shot using the step back to create space or enough handles to get into the lane. I think most are keeping it in perspective in that they see a contributor at some point who can space the floor. Certainly has to get stronger. I think he’s shown some ability on distributing on the pick and roll. There’s enough there to hold and develop him. But the shooting looks to be quite good with his quick release.

I’m not so sure about Wenyen. Length is great. Strength in the paint is lacking. But his strength is his length and that can certainly be an asset but I think he’s still lacking in areas.

I actually think the closest guy to being a contributor is James. Makes the right play, makes the right pass, plays defense at a good level, will go get a board, can get out and run and has some good vision, gets into the lane fairly well when he decides to do it. Needs to get stronger for sure but his athleticism is nice. Keeping it in perspective, he can be a contributor at some point.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
It would really depend on who you put him on the floor with. For instance, if you pair him with Bogdanovic, Bog's could play the point while Guy plays off the ball, very similar to what Mike Bibby did. But on defense, Bog's guards the other teams SG while Guy guards the PG. To be honest, I've been somewhat impressed with Guy's ability to run the team from the point. Given a year in the G-League, and he might be just fine at the point.

I think long term he needs to tighten up his handles a bit more to play the point, but they're not bad now.
I think we've seen enough of the Bogs pg experiment. The dribble, dribble, dribble act was compensation for his lack of separation speed. It doesn't do him or the team any favors to play him out of position. I'd rather have a 2-guard with above average ball handling skills than a point guard with below average quicks and ball handling skills. (Maybe Joseph could play the point with Guy at the 2, but I don't find such a back court particularly inspiring). Bogs needs to just play the 2-guard position consistently this season, something he hasn't done in first two years. If he does so, then it will help the Kings considerably getting to the playoffs. Will the real Bogs please show up, please?

New JJ is striking me as that guy who looks like he’s doing nothing, but silently cobbles together a solid game without ever noticing him for a second he’s on the floor.
Right now his calling card has been to play very good defense. He hasn't been standing out on offense, but hasn't hurt the team there either. While some want him to be more aggressive, I have actually liked how he has taken a lessor role. This is a guy who was the entire offense for his team last year. I always worry that players in that role will have a problem at the next level when asked to do less (see Quincy Douby).