Kyle Guy

He has many physical limitations to overcome before he can be compared to guys like Korver. If he was Korver's size he probably would have been picked somewhere in the early to mid 20s. He's more like Seth Curry but a bit smaller. Curry has niched himself a role in the NBA despite his lack of size and PG skills because he is an elite 3 point shooter. Shooting .425 from beyond the arc is a down year for Curry. It's his physical limitations that keep him on the bench as a backup. Kyle Guy has an uphill battle to become even Seth Curry. I mean he could become Steph Curry for all we know but a realistic ceiling for him is more than likely Seth.
Yeah, being a 6'2" SG without elite athletic ability is a steep hill to climb on both ends. He does have a nice step back jumper. I'm interested to see what it looks like over NBA size. If he can step his game up defensively on the ball he and Bogdan are a decent combo on paper.

The good news is Guy does fit really well with out 2nd unit with Bogi, especially if Giles stays on the bench. Playmaking will run through those 2, he acts as the floor spacer/secondary ball-handler/third playmaker to those guys.

The shooting is real, but for him to stick, he's going to have to prove he can handle the 1. Just way too small/athletic limitations to guards 2s in the league.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
If you're setting the unrealistic expectation that a guy drafted at the end of the 2nd round is going to turn into Steve Nash, you may be doing this whole basketball thing wrong. Guy has the skillset as a deadeye off the ball shooter to last in the league as a catch-and-shoot threat for a good decade if the cards fall right.
A 6'3" catch and shoot guy with mediocre athleticism? I don't think that's in the cards. (And who is he going to defend?) He's got a looong way to go to get to JJ Redick territory.

Hey sorry my post sounded pretty confrontational the second time I read it. Wasn't my intention at all.
No worries.

I only watched a couple of Kyle's games this year and they were all tournament games but I think he has some PG instincts and skills. I don't know if ha has it in him to hone those skills for the NBA or not but I can see why NBA guys might like him.

What I am hopeful with this pick is he can learn to be able to bring the ball up and work as a point guard. I know it’s a stretch and a lot of wishful thinking but if he can stretch the floor and then learn how to really work the pick and roll he could be deadly with his shots.

If he can do that to a decent degree that could make it hard for teams to sag off on the lob and force them to stay on him.

Good luck to him and look forward to hoping he makes it.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Not sure where this idea that Guy was a mediocre athlete came from. I'll give you that he needs to get stronger, and that might be his biggest issue early on, but his athleticism is fine. He posted excellent numbers at the combine in the shuttle and the lateral quickness drill. You can put whatever value you want on those drills, but their intent is to determine the athletic ability of each player.

Lane Agility - Shuttle - Sprint - Standing Vertical - Max Vertical

Kyle Guy: 10.48 - 3.07 - 3.27 - 30.5" - 36.5"

Terrence Davis: 10.69 - 2.97 - 3.28 - 29.5" - 34.0"

Kevin Porter: 10.82 - 3.03 - 3.14 - 27.0" - 34.0"

Nassir Little: 12.15 - 3.10 - 3.24 - 31.0" - 38.5"

All three of these players are considered by the pundits to be good athlete's, or above average athlete's. As you can see, Guy more than holds his own against all three of them. Personally, I go more on the eye test, and having watched Guy play for the last three years, especially the last two, I certainly wouldn't call him a mediocre athlete.

What I do know about him is that he plays with a chip on his shoulder, he can shoot the hell out of the ball, and he give 100% effort at all times. Lastly, he's a winner. How all that translates to the NBA remains to be seen. I can't guarantee his success, but I wouldn't bet against him either. He is exactly the kind of player that succeeds in the NBA. It might take him a couple of years to work out all the wrinkles, so some patience will be required. That's something hard to find around here.

Not sure where this idea that Guy was a mediocre athlete came from. I'll give you that he needs to get stronger, and that might be his biggest issue early on, but his athleticism is fine. He posted excellent numbers at the combine in the shuttle and the lateral quickness drill. You can put whatever value you want on those drills, but their intent is to determine the athletic ability of each player.

All three of these players are considered by the pundits to be good athlete's, or above average athlete's. As you can see, Guy more than holds his own against all three of them. Personally, I go more on the eye test, and having watched Guy play for the last three years, especially the last two, I certainly wouldn't call him a mediocre athlete.

What I do know about him is that he plays with a chip on his shoulder, he can shoot the hell out of the ball, and he give 100% effort at all times. Lastly, he's a winner. How all that translates to the NBA remains to be seen. I can't guarantee his success, but I wouldn't bet against him either. He is exactly the kind of player that succeeds in the NBA. It might take him a couple of years to work out all the wrinkles, so some patience will be required. That's something hard to find around here.
He looked like a good athlete when I watched so this makes sense to me. I thought his defense was pesky in the games I watched.

He kind of sounds like a shorter Nik Stauskus with more heart.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
He kind of sounds like a shorter Nik Stauskus with more heart.
Not sure I see the comparison, other than Stauskas was considered one of the better shooters coming out of college that year. As good as Stauskas was, Guy is better. But the main difference, and probably the most important difference, is attitude. Obviously Stauskas lost his confidence once with the Kings, and didn't have the strength of mind to regain it. I don't see that happening to Guy. He's a tough minded kid who is used to being the underdog. He plays with a feisty confidence that belies his size. Sort of like a Mexican Chihuahua, who forgets how small it is.

Man, I'm sure he would love that comparison...

dude12

Hall of Famer
I remember when we saw Jimmer for the first time in Summer League. Instant red flags due to ball handling or rather lack of it. Of course, Sac tried to make him a PG and he wasn’t. Vlade has said they see him as a SG already so he’s got that going for him. He’s going to have to be a catch and shoot guy who shoots at a high level to be effective. I don’t care how much of a competitor he is, so are a lot of guys and especially in SL as guys are fighting for their careers.

We will find out quickly.

Nobody plays at Virginia without playing defense. Good quote by someone else here. Guy has attitude much like IT. That is how you overcome size limitations. We know he can shoot. He handles the ball pretty well. This is the player with the most potential in this year's crop of new guys, free agents excepted.

It’s funny as I think a lot of us see him as a keeper already and he hasn’t played but 3 pre summer league games.
These games coming up and the ones we have played as long as he keeps up a decent 3 point % it looks like we may have a spot for him.

Unless what we have seen changes he at the least will get a two way contract.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
It’s funny as I think a lot of us see him as a keeper already and he hasn’t played but 3 pre summer league games.
These games coming up and the ones we have played as long as he keeps up a decent 3 point % it looks like we may have a spot for him.

Unless what we have seen changes he at the least will get a two way contract.
Can you 2 way your own 2nd round pick? I'm not sure how that works. Either way I think there is no reason not to keep both he and James aboard because the Kings haven't saved any cap so it won't hurt. They also have the roster space.

Can you 2 way your own 2nd round pick? I'm not sure how that works. Either way I think there is no reason not to keep both he and James aboard because the Kings haven't saved any cap so it won't hurt. They also have the roster space.
I think you can but I believe he would be made available to other teams before signing the 2 way contract. So if say the Grizzlies wanted to put him on their NBA roster as a 15th man, he would naturally sign with them over taking a 2 way contract that would pay him much less.

Yes they can. In 2018, of the last 10 draft picks, only 2 of them were signed to a regular contract, but 1 of them was waived mid-way through the season. There was 5 2-way contracts signed by those players.

So it's not unusual at all. I don't think Guy has shown me enough to warrant a roster spot on this team, but we don't have a lot of players right now. So I can see him making the team.

I think you can but I believe he would be made available to other teams before signing the 2 way contract. So if say the Grizzlies wanted to put him on their NBA roster as a 15th man, he would naturally sign with them over taking a 2 way contract that would pay him much less.
I don't think this is true. The Kings own their rights until they don't. Lets say we offer him a 2-way contract, but Memphis really likes him and is willing to offer their 15th spot. I think it would just come down to the Kings to have common courtesy and releasing the player so they can sign with Memphis.

I don't think this is true. The Kings own their rights until they don't. Lets say we offer him a 2-way contract, but Memphis really likes him and is willing to offer their 15th spot. I think it would just come down to the Kings to have common courtesy and releasing the player so they can sign with Memphis.
Ok I thought I heard it worked that way but you're probably right. I thought you had to waive them from the team and then sign them to the 2 way contract.

Guy has gotten a lot of run so far so let’s see over the summer league if he continues to start or log a lot of minutes.
He has guts and a shot and he could very well make the team.

I think they liked what they saw him and after two looks and his three game and with a few roster spots open why not.

I think he will turn into a pretty good player. The reason? Unlike other players that can just shoot the light out, this guy can dribble and create havoc. That's very important if you want to succeed. You can't be a dimensional player. He has pretty good quickness and attack ability. That's just a glimpse of what i saw.