Kyle Guy

I don't know why they brought him back for a 2nd workout to make sure he could shoot. You didn't need to work him out to know the kid can shoot. It's about making sure he even has a shot at making it in the NBA with his other skills and lack of physical stature. He's tiny. 15lbs smaller than Trae Young who is tiny himself. I don't see him ever being able to make it in the NBA despite the fact that he can shoot with a hand in his face. He's only put on 10lbs in his 3 years at Virginia.

Still it's a gamble you can take at 55 but you're playing well against the odds by drafting guys that are this small.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I don't know why they brought him back for a 2nd workout to make sure he could shoot. You didn't need to work him out to know the kid can shoot. It's about making sure he even has a shot at making it in the NBA with his other skills and lack of physical stature. He's tiny. 15lbs smaller than Trae Young who is tiny himself. I don't see him ever being able to make it in the NBA despite the fact that he can shoot with a hand in his face. He's only put on 10lbs in his 3 years at Virginia.

Still it's a gamble you can take at 55 but you're playing well against the odds by drafting guys that are this small.
College and NBA weight programs are two entirely different things. Believe or not, they don't have carte blanche to go lift weights anytime they want in college. Most programs don't give a key to the gym or the weight room to the players. Plus, they do actually have to go to school, which takes up a lot of their time.

Once in the NBA, that all changes. Most good teams micro-manage the players starting with their diet and their workouts. Players now have all the time in the world to devote to their game. At Virginia, Tony Bennett runs a very disciplined program. He's huge on fundamentals, and more than anything, defense. If you don't defend at Virginia, you don't play!!!!! That's not just a catch phrase, that's the truth.

Guy plays with a chip on his shoulder and he's a fearless player despite being on the light side. Every report I've read about him says he's an extremely hard worker whose determined to show all his critics that they're wrong. I get your doubts, but personally, I don't have any. I think this kid is going to show everyone just how good he is.

Of our 3 second round picks, I’m most optimistic about Guy having a career.

I actually find him a perfect fit next to Bogdan, who can take care of the ball handling duties, while Guy plays off ball and does a lot of catch-and-shooting. You would have Guy guard the PG and Bogi guard the SG.

Seth Curry turned himself into a rotation player on a playoff team, so if Guy can shoot, he has a shot.

If he can give the team a few good years as an 11/12th man, it will be a win.

I give Vlade’s draft a “B+”. It all looks good to me. Come back in three or four years and we’ll grade again.
Okay so one more year and we are able to discuss the 2016 darft! Papa G, Malachi, Skal and I.Cousins we'll see wether they were good picks or not.

In all seriousnes, for a message board its probably good if you can discuss things without having to wait four years.

Okay so one more year and we are able to discuss the 2016 darft! Papa G, Malachi, Skal and I.Cousins we'll see wether they were good picks or not.

In all seriousnes, for a message board its probably good if you can discuss things without having to wait four years.
They were not. How many players picked after them, have become members of their team's rotation? I have heard repeatedly that was one of the weakest drafts. Would you agree with that? The Kings' picks flamed out, how did other teams do after them in that draft?

Guy was one of the players on my wanted list. He's an out of his mind shooter. He made more contested three's last year than any other player I watched. He just an unconscious shooter. As I stated above, he reminds me a lot of Lou Williams. Leave him open at your peril. However, he isn't a true PG as far as creativity goes, but if on the floor with a player like Ty Jerome, (his teammate) 6'6" who can handle and create, it works! Let me see, do the Kings have anyone that comes off the bench who fits that scenario? Oh yeah, Bogdanovic....

Guy plays off the ball extremely well, and don't be fooled by his size. He's a tough kid whose not afraid to go up against the big boys. Defensively, if asked to guard PG's, I think he's fine. He's not Patrick Beverly, but he'll certainly give you maximum effort defensively. For the 55th pick, the Kings may have gotten themselves a steal.
Yeah I like this pick especially if we have to cut Yogi and Frank for cap space.

They were not. How many players picked after them, have become members of their team's rotation? I have heard repeatedly that was one of the weakest drafts. Would you agree with that? The Kings' picks flamed out, how did other teams do after them in that draft?
Juan Hernangomez (that was the pick I wanted instead of Papa G), Denzel Valentine, Malik Beasley, Caris Lavert, Deandre Bembry, Ante Zicic, Furkan Korkmaz, Pascal Siakam, Dejounte Murray and Damian Jones were picked after Papa G in the 1st round so I would say that there were numerous players that coule've become at least rotation players. There is always value to be found in the draft, even late. All of the picks are valuable because you have a real shot of getting one of these guys like Lavert, Murray of Siakam even in the late 1st. A draft pick blown is never good and multiple picks blown in the same draft is always very bad.

Juan Hernangomez (that was the pick I wanted instead of Papa G), Denzel Valentine, Malik Beasley, Caris Lavert, Deandre Bembry, Ante Zicic, Furkan Korkmaz, Pascal Siakam, Dejounte Murray and Damian Jones were picked after Papa G in the 1st round so I would say that there were numerous players that coule've become at least rotation players. There is always value to be found in the draft, even late. All of the picks are valuable because you have a real shot of getting one of these guys like Lavert, Murray of Siakam even in the late 1st. A draft pick blown is never good and multiple picks blown in the same draft is always very bad.
Fair enough. Won't argue that that draft isn't one of his most shining moments.

That 2016 draft was the best and worst of Vlade, The good was dumping Bellenelli for the 22nd, also trading the 8th for the rights to Bogdan and two of Phoenixes 1st rounders.
Then they picked PapaG instead of Dejounte Murray when we needed a lead guard.. I was so baffled, then he pased on him again two more times. I can't claim to know how good Siakam would become.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I saw Guy's game against Duke (replay) last night. Very unimpressive. He got swiped, got blocked, air balled a shot, and looked pretty overwhelmed by the athleticism of Duke. If he struggles badly against Duke, who didn't have an NBA caliber point guard, he's going to struggle mightily in the NBA.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I saw Guy's game against Duke (replay) last night. Very unimpressive. He got swiped, got blocked, air balled a shot, and looked pretty overwhelmed by the athleticism of Duke. If he struggles badly against Duke, who didn't have an NBA caliber point guard, he's going to struggle mightily in the NBA.
Yeah, I'm sure that one game is going to be a reflection of his entire career.. Lets just ignore the tournament championship game with all the chips on the table where he scored 24 pt's, shot 53.3% overall and 44.4% from the three. against one of the best defensive teams in college last season. How about the three clutch freethrows he hit at the end of the game. So he had a bad game against Duke, so what? I remember a game last year where Buddy turned the ball over 4 or 5 times and didn't shoot the ball well, should we get rid of him because of that one bad game?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I'm sure that one game is going to be a reflection of his entire career.. Lets just ignore the tournament championship game with all the chips on the table where he scored 24 pt's, shot 53.3% overall and 44.4% from the three. against one of the best defensive teams in college last season. How about the three clutch freethrows he hit at the end of the game. So he had a bad game against Duke, so what? I remember a game last year where Buddy turned the ball over 4 or 5 times and didn't shoot the ball well, should we get rid of him because of that one bad game?
We agree, then. I think though that his "career" is going to be more like a "visit." Question: How long does a player have to play in the NBA for him to be considered to actually have a "career"? If they had "designated free throw shooters" in the NBA, then maybe he could make a good living. Please lobby for such a rule change so we can get some value for this asset. (Where are you now, Jim Les?) We'll check out his progress in a couple of years and exchange notes on his auspicious career. Maybe he'll prove me wrong and be the next Steve Nash, but sadly I think it won't turn out well for you. baja. At least the guy (no pun intended) is competitive; I'll give him that. As was Les, as was Jimmer, as was Mateen Cleaves, as was a zillion other guys who couldn't clear the NBA athletic hurdle.

P.S. Note: Buddy is in the NBA; Guy isn't; apples to oranges, and aside from that a totally irrelevant non sequitur.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
We agree, then. I think though that his "career" is going to be more like a "visit." Question: How long does a player have to play in the NBA for him to be considered to actually have a "career"? If they had "designated free throw shooters" in the NBA, then maybe he could make a good living. Please lobby for such a rule change so we can get some value for this asset. (Where are you now, Jim Les?) We'll check out his progress in a couple of years and exchange notes on his auspicious career. Maybe he'll prove me wrong and be the next Steve Nash, but sadly I think it won't turn out well for you. baja. At least the guy (no pun intended) is competitive; I'll give him that. As was Les, as was Jimmer, as was Mateen Cleaves, as was a zillion other guys who couldn't clear the NBA athletic hurdle.

P.S. Note: Buddy is in the NBA; Guy isn't; apples to oranges, and aside from that a totally irrelevant non sequitur.
If you're setting the unrealistic expectation that a guy drafted at the end of the 2nd round is going to turn into Steve Nash, you may be doing this whole basketball thing wrong. Guy has the skillset as a deadeye off the ball shooter to last in the league as a catch-and-shoot threat for a good decade if the cards fall right.

If you're setting the unrealistic expectation that a guy drafted at the end of the 2nd round is going to turn into Steve Nash, you may be doing this whole basketball thing wrong. Guy has the skillset as a deadeye off the ball shooter to last in the league as a catch-and-shoot threat for a good decade if the cards fall right.
Absolute best case scenario is Eddie House type of guard. Absolute best case scenario. If people did their research they would find that majority of the players drafted in the 2nd round don't even make the team past the training camp. The like of Isaiah Thomas and Nikola Jokic are exceptions and not the rule.

Absolute best case scenario is Eddie House type of guard. Absolute best case scenario. If people did their research they would find that majority of the players drafted in the 2nd round don't even make the team past the training camp. The like of Isaiah Thomas and Nikola Jokic are exceptions and not the rule.
Kyle Korver?

He has many physical limitations to overcome before he can be compared to guys like Korver. If he was Korver's size he probably would have been picked somewhere in the early to mid 20s. He's more like Seth Curry but a bit smaller. Curry has niched himself a role in the NBA despite his lack of size and PG skills because he is an elite 3 point shooter. Shooting .425 from beyond the arc is a down year for Curry. It's his physical limitations that keep him on the bench as a backup. Kyle Guy has an uphill battle to become even Seth Curry. I mean he could become Steph Curry for all we know but a realistic ceiling for him is more than likely Seth.

He has many physical limitations to overcome before he can be compared to guys like Korver. If he was Korver's size he probably would have been picked somewhere in the early to mid 20s. He's more like Seth Curry but a bit smaller. Curry has niched himself a role in the NBA despite his lack of size and PG skills because he is an elite 3 point shooter. Shooting .425 from beyond the arc is a down year for Curry. It's his physical limitations that keep him on the bench as a backup. Kyle Guy has an uphill battle to become even Seth Curry. I mean he could become Steph Curry for all we know but a realistic ceiling for him is more than likely Seth.
Seth's 3p% in college was under 40%. Kyle is a better shooter now than Seth was when he came out.

No arguments there. Interestingly enough, Guy is listed as being taller and heavier than Bibby was coming into the league. But Bibby was a borderline all-star type and I don't anticipate Guy getting there. I do think there is definitely a role that he could thrive in here, though, especially with Bogi and Giles as shot creators next to him.
What’s funny is that bibby was better before he bulked up. Because his game relied on speed, running around screens, getting his shot off as fast as possible but he was always subpar on defense. So he bulked up for no reason in my opinion. All it did was slow him up.