Kyle Guy

For Kyle Guy to make it in the NBA, it really hinges on him developing his point guard skills.

He was used mainly as a shooting guard in college, but he showed a lot of grit in his game. He was pretty savvy player in the tournament. He looks like he has the ability to run the point, but he really needs to hone those skills if he wants to make it in the NBA.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Guy was one of the players on my wanted list. He's an out of his mind shooter. He made more contested three's last year than any other player I watched. He just an unconscious shooter. As I stated above, he reminds me a lot of Lou Williams. Leave him open at your peril. However, he isn't a true PG as far as creativity goes, but if on the floor with a player like Ty Jerome, (his teammate) 6'6" who can handle and create, it works! Let me see, do the Kings have anyone that comes off the bench who fits that scenario? Oh yeah, Bogdanovic....

Guy plays off the ball extremely well, and don't be fooled by his size. He's a tough kid whose not afraid to go up against the big boys. Defensively, if asked to guard PG's, I think he's fine. He's not Patrick Beverly, but he'll certainly give you maximum effort defensively. For the 55th pick, the Kings may have gotten themselves a steal.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Lou Williams?

More like Steve Kerr.
Well, if Guy ends up being as good as Kerr, then I'm happy. Kerr holds the record for career 3pt shooting percentage at 45.4%. That would work for me. However, Kerr did have some PG skills even though he played off the ball a lot. If you watched Guy play at Virginia, and watched Williams play, there's a lot of similarity to their games.

Well, if Guy ends up being as good as Kerr, then I'm happy. Kerr holds the record for career 3pt shooting percentage at 45.4%. That would work for me. However, Kerr did have some PG skills even though he played off the ball a lot. If you watched Guy play at Virginia, and watched Williams play, there's a lot of similarity to their games.
Just as long as he's not a Jimmer.

I'm actually somewhat excited about the Guy pick. The Guy can flat out shoot and he's not afraid to take/make big shots.

Sure just about every other aspect of his game/body/athleticism is sub-par at the NBA level........however never has 3-point shooting been more important in the NBA. If he can hit a high percentage of his shots while not being an embarrassment on defense....he will easily find a niche in the league.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I'm actually somewhat excited about the Guy pick. The Guy can flat out shoot and he's not afraid to take/make big shots.

Sure just about every other aspect of his game/body/athleticism is sub-par at the NBA level........however never has 3-point shooting been more important in the NBA. If he can hit a high percentage of his shots while not being an embarrassment on defense....he will easily find a niche in the league.
We're fans of a team that once started Mike Bibby for a half a decade and considers Jim Les as a "franchise legend" so I think we'd be used to having a sub-par athlete with mediocre shot creator skills but lights out shooting as a point guard.

We're fans of a team that once started Mike Bibby for a half a decade and considers Jim Les as a "franchise legend" so I think we'd be used to having a sub-par athlete with mediocre shot creator skills but lights out shooting as a point guard.
True but Bibby was just flat out bigger and more athletic than Guy is now. Bibby had better handles and was thought of as a true PG coming out of Arizona. Granted as we know now, Bibby was a much better shot maker than shot creator. It would be a miracle if Guy ever became a starting Calibur player in the NBA.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
True but Bibby was just flat out bigger and more athletic than Guy is now. Bibby had better handles and was thought of as a true PG coming out of Arizona. Granted as we know now, Bibby was a much better shot maker than shot creator. It would be a miracle if Guy ever became a starting Calibur player in the NBA.
No arguments there. Interestingly enough, Guy is listed as being taller and heavier than Bibby was coming into the league. But Bibby was a borderline all-star type and I don't anticipate Guy getting there. I do think there is definitely a role that he could thrive in here, though, especially with Bogi and Giles as shot creators next to him.

In the interview Vlade said one reason they brought him out for a 2nd workout was because they were all amazed by how many shots he made in his first workout. Vlade wanted to see if he was just “lucky.” Came back a 2nd time for his last and final 13th? workout. He shot amazingly again.
Did he break Quincy Douby’s shooting record in a pre-draft workout?