Kuzma for Bogi Rumor....sigh

Kuzma is having a bad season but think it would be a pretty good trade. I probably do it
Yeah same. I like Bogie but I think his all around game is blown out of proportion. Never averaged more than 4 assists a game. Not a great defender. Shooting under 43% this year. Went through that horrible slump that lasted several months where he was virtually unplayable. I say do it.

Dear god I don’t want anything to do with Kevin Love.
Unless we get something back in a Kevin Love trade (like a decent pick) I am done. I wouldn't touch him with a 40 foot pole. He's always injured, isn't what he used to be and his contract is awful. If Vlade does this without compensation in return, then he's an even bigger fool than I already think he is.

And from a competitive standpoint it wouldn't make sense. Love isn't a young guy, he doesn't fit the timeline. This team isn't competing right now to say the least.

Also, isn't Kuzma infamous for absolutely terrible defense? God knows we don't need more of that. I think he's having a down year because his role is different now that he's playing with LBJ and Davis. He's probably having a hard time adjusting...I'm not worried about his offensive game.

But again, that defense...

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I'm not sure about good one bad one, but this is Sam Amick, the original Bee writer who is now working at The Athletics. The other is Amico.
For what it's worth, I would place Sam Amick as "the good one who usually knows what he is talking about" and Sam Amico as "the bad one who seems to throw a lot of stuff at the wall to see what sticks".

I'm not sure about good one bad one, but this is Sam Amick, the original Bee writer who is now working at The Athletics. The other is Amico.
Sam Amick is the good one. I'm convinced Amico got to where he is because people confused him with Amick.

In any case, no to this. Bogi is better, and Kuzma is a total f**kboy. Leave him in LA where he belongs. And anyone who thinks DMC would be included in a deal after Vlade's "character matters" comment is insane.

I don’t think Kevin Love would be a smart addition to this King’s team, and I am really lukewarm at this point on a Kuzma for Bogi swap unless there are some “sweeteners”. Neither move seems to make a ton of sense to me, but more information may come to light that lends more merit to the early speculations and/or clarifies the picture.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Cavs just waived two guys opening up roster spots as well. A little speculation there could be a three way trade with Kuz going to Cle and Love coming here, Bogi going to LA
I know it's James Ham, but...

if he has any sources on this (and it at least makes sense) then it's hard to see the Kings going after Kevin Love, whose contract is the epitome of "hurting the flexibility of the team moving forward".

uhh, no. He's almost exclusively a small-ball PF.

If Kuzma were actually good, it'd make a ton of sense with this team. Transition finisher, spacer from the 4 spot, etc. But he's not good and has taken a significant step back this seaso. Really worried that we might throw in "extra" because Kuzma's hype has been out of control.
Maybe that’s why he’s struggling then. They are playing him out of position. He’s a small forward

Kuzma played his best ball under Luke Walton last year.

I could see the Kings wanting Kuzma as a 3rd scorer for the starting unit. He played lights out for Luke last year.

Bogi will command a big payday this summer, if he can stay healthy. It may be more than the Kings are willing to take, since they hitched their wagon to Buddy at SG.

N

NBC Sports BayArea

At 13-23, the Sacramento Kings are heading into trade season in a place that they have grown quite familiar with over the last decade-plus. Marc Stein of the New York Times kicked off the festivities Monday morning with a tweet involving super-sub Bogdan Bogdanovic, that is unlikely to go over well with the Kings' fan base. Sacramento is among the teams that has tried to engage the Lakers in Kyle Kuzma trade talks, league sources say.

Continue reading...

Kuzma is not very good. Had a decent rookie year and has regressed since then into an inefficient chucker that plays no defense. Playing him at the 4 next to Bagley would hand the Kings the worst defense in the league.

I know it's James Ham, but...

if he has any sources on this (and it at least makes sense) then it's hard to see the Kings going after Kevin Love, whose contract is the epitome of "hurting the flexibility of the team moving forward".
If we're truly all-in with this core (lets face it, we are), then consolidating Ariza/Dedmon/Bogi into Love is a decent gamble to make. Fits perfectly in at the 4 as a beefed up Bjelica, gives floor spacing for Fox and can run some really creative LU's with the the flexiblity of Bagley/Barnes etc.

My only trepidation about this sort of deal would be how it would affect us maneuvering the cap to keep Holmes long-term too. Think it's possible if we didn't resign Bogi, let Ariza, Cojo and Dedmon all go by then, and wait to use the cap space on Holmes before signing Fox to the max extension. Don't think that's possible with Love on board another 3 years.

If we're truly all-in with this core (lets face it, we are), then consolidating Ariza/Dedmon/Bogi into Love is a decent gamble to make. Fits perfectly in at the 4 as a beefed up Bjelica, gives floor spacing for Fox and can run some really creative LU's with the the flexiblity of Bagley/Barnes etc.

My only trepidation about this sort of deal would be how it would affect us maneuvering the cap to keep Holmes long-term too. Think it's possible if we didn't resign Bogi, let Ariza, Cojo and Dedmon all go by then, and wait to use the cap space on Holmes before signing Fox to the max extension. Don't think that's possible with Love on board another 3 years.
I don't think it's worth it at all. This roster + Love isn't going to make the playoffs in my opinion. Bjelica is actually a better player right now and has been for the last couple years. He's the same age and a heck of a lot cheaper. You'd be gambling that the Kevin Love of 4-5 years ago is hiding in there somewhere but we know that the old Kevin Love probably doesn't exist anymore.

Kuzma is not very good. Had a decent rookie year and has regressed since then into an inefficient chucker that plays no defense. Playing him at the 4 next to Bagley would hand the Kings the worst defense in the league.
Rookie Kuzma for sure had some potential as an offensive player. Pretty decent rates across the board, maintained good efficiency for his USG rates, especially as a rookie. But everything has really gone down hill since then and he's been one of the worst players in the NBA this year. Chucking a ton of shots, no defense, no playmaking, no rebounding.

I don't think it's worth it at all. This roster + Love isn't going to make the playoffs in my opinion. Bjelica is actually a better player right now and has been for the last couple years. He's the same age and a heck of a lot cheaper. You'd be gambling that the Kevin Love of 4-5 years ago is hiding in there somewhere but we know that the old Kevin Love probably doesn't exist anymore.
Maybe not this year, but I could see it next season going into the year with a fully healthy Fox-Buddy-Barnes-Love-Holmes || Bagley core rotation. No, no chance at a title, but there isn't a path to a title as currently constructed anyway. I want the full reset and rebuild, but getting Love as a mega buy-low isn't the worst idea in the world to improve playoff chances. And we know the full reset is going to happen under Vlade.

And we're somehow only 2 games out of the 8 seed. You get a motivated Love here, there's certainly a chance to get that spot.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Kuzma is a major talent and shouldn't be dismissed. The anti-Kuzma sentiment reminds me of the anti-LaVine sentiment we heard over the summer. Walton has coached him so he knows what he's getting if they make a deal. Usually, the seller knows more than the buyer; in this case the buyer used to be the seller. Bogs is an injury happening, not waiting to happen. What do you want - Bogs who is 27 going on 37 years of age, or 24 year old Kuzma? It's a no brainer. I wouldn't include any first rounder, but there's plenty of mediocrity on the Kings roster that might fill the bill if need be. It wouldn't surprise me if more Kings and Lakers players are included in a deal.

The Love deal makes no sense unless it is a 3-way deal that send Love to the Lakers. Given Love's recent tantrum in Cleveland, no way does he want to go to Sacto. He'd just go do a head-stand in the corner and scream. Not the greatest thing for team chemistry.

Kuzma is a major talent and shouldn't be dismissed. The anti-Kuzma sentiment reminds me of the anti-LaVine sentiment we heard over the summer. Walton has coached him so he knows what he's getting if they make a deal. Usually, the seller knows more than the buyer; in this case the buyer used to be the seller. Bogs is an injury happening, not waiting to happen. What do you want - Bogs who is 27 going on 37 years of age, or 24 year old Kuzma? It's a no brainer. I wouldn't include any first rounder, but there's plenty of mediocrity on the Kings roster that might fill the bill if need be. It wouldn't surprise me if more Kings and Lakers players are included in a deal.

The Love deal makes no sense unless it is a 3-way deal that send Love to the Lakers. Given Love's recent tantrum in Cleveland, no way does he want to go to Sacto. He'd just go do a head-stand in the corner and scream. Not the greatest thing for team chemistry.
The only thing about 24 year old Kuzma is that he is very injury prone as well. He missed more games than Bogdan this year. In fact he missed more or same amount of games as Bogdan in each of their 3 years in the league.

Considering we are not keeping Bogi and he's most likely to bail for Dallas getting anything back for him atm is a good thing, Kuzma still has 2 years left making under 2mil. I admit I don't watch many Lakers but he's shown more in his two season than any of our young players (not named Fox), 18ppg on 45% is nothing to sneeze at.

Plus Barnes would play the 4 and Kuz would play the 3 imo and they would switch a lot, also getting Kuzma allows us to try move Barnes and we get what Barnes does at a fraction of the cost. I would rather him Kuzma over Barnes both are low impact players but Kuzma costs nothing.

A Kumza trade would probably be the end of Giles/Bjelica.

Last edited: