KingsFans.com Free Agency Wish List: 3rd Choice?

If all Free Agents would sign with the Kings at market value, who would be your 3rd choice?

• Jimmy Butler - 30

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kemba Walker - 29

• Kristaps Porzingis - 24

• Kyrie Irving - 27

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
KingsFans.com Free Agency Wish List
#1 Kevin Durant
#2 Kawhi Leonard

If all Free Agents would sign with the Kings at market value (with the exception of Durant & Leonard), who would be your 3rd choice?

Assumptions:
  • For unrestricted free agents, all free agents would sign with the Kings if we matched the best offer given to them in FA (similar to how restricted free agency works). This means that your 1st choice may not come down to the best player, but perhaps the player you think would have the most valuable contract.
  • For restricted free agents, consider how much we would have to pay to potentially lure them away
  • Barnes opts into his contract.
  • The decision around Cauley-Stein's FA is left up to you.

Please do not let the line of thinking "that's unrealistic" come into play when making your decision. Basketball executives still put a name down for #1, #2, #3, etc. on their draft board despite having the 10th pick. Let's make this a similar exercise.

Also, nominate a new free agent in a comment down below. The player who gets the most votes will replace the winner as a new option in the next poll.

Went with Harris, but was thinking about selecting Middleton.

Considering Barnes' size and that I think he's better starting off at SF, I thought Harris made more sense. Harris is bigger & stronger than Middleton and is a better rebounder. I think a death lineup of Fox / Hield / Barnes / Harris / Bagley would be very good.

Harris would make Barnes a an expensive bench guy. Bagley is nowhere near ready to play the 5 on a regular basis. Doesnt have the Size. Looks more like a 4. If he puts on 15-20 of Muscle. Bagley can spot at the 5.

I prefer Fox, Hield, Harris, Bagley and Lopez

Coming off the bench: Mconnell, Bogdan, Barnes, Mirotic, Giles

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Can’t disagree with the first two, now it’s big man time.

Vucevic is tempting, but because of pure emotion I’m going with Big Cuz. Watching him with the Warriors, he’d fit in so good with what we have built here. Great offensive player, great passer, and I think most importantly can slow the game down for us when we have to play real basketball instead of running other team’s legs off. It would save us a lot of fatigue to effectively slow the game down multiple times throughout a night.

And if he stays healthy, I see Boogie as a guy who’s game ages well. He doesn’t rely on hyper athleticism but pure skill and strength.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I'm going with Klay here. Elite shooting and great defender. Doesn't need ball in his hands to flourish. Makes him redundant with Buddy here but I'd easily swap Buddy for Klay here.

I really like Tobias but I don't think the Kings would be able to get to the playoffs with him at the 4 and Bagley at the 5. I like Butler the most because he's a proven winner but his personality doesn't seem like it would fit in with the Kings locker room. Although we all know Butler doesn't like lazy teammates who don't care and the young Kings have been anything but lazy.

I wound up picking Vucevic. Fills a need if Giles doesn't develop. The defense would still be iffy but his ability to stretch the floor would allow the Kings flexibility lineup wise. He's also a good rebounder and passer so he would fit right in and clean up some of the team's weaknesses while making some of their strengths even stronger.

I really like Tobias but I don't think the Kings would be able to get to the playoffs with him at the 4 and Bagley at the 5. I like Butler the most because he's a proven winner but his personality doesn't seem like it would fit in with the Kings locker room. Although we all know Butler doesn't like lazy teammates who don't care and the young Kings have been anything but lazy.

I wound up picking Vucevic. Fills a need if Giles doesn't develop. The defense would still be iffy but his ability to stretch the floor would allow the Kings flexibility lineup wise. He's also a good rebounder and passer so he would fit right in and clean up some of the team's weaknesses while making some of their strengths even stronger.
Are you referring to just next year or do you feel the same after another 2-3 years?

I'm going with Klay here. Elite shooting and great defender. Doesn't need ball in his hands to flourish. Makes him redundant with Buddy here but I'd easily swap Buddy for Klay here.
I didn't even think about the idea of bringing Hield (or Barnes for that matter) off the bench.

Moving one of them to bench could upset them. Strategically, I think you'd pick Hield to come off the bench knowing he will be a RFA (vs. Barnes who will be a UFA). If he's a little pissed off and wants a starting role, he'd really have to cause a fuss and force a trade. Otherwise, we're just going to match the offer he gets in RFA and have him for another 4 years. Barnes could very well just walk out the door.

If you do sign a guy like Thompson or Middleton though, you're likely going to have to move Bogdanovic. At that point, you have Hield, Barnes, Middleton/Thompson, and Bogdan who are all needing minute at SG/SF. Perhaps you're then looking to move Bogdan for a starting level center.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I didn't even think about the idea of bringing Hield (or Barnes for that matter) off the bench.

Moving one of them to bench could upset them. Strategically, I think you'd pick Hield to come off the bench knowing he will be a RFA (vs. Barnes who will be a UFA). If he's a little pissed off and wants a starting role, he'd really have to cause a fuss and force a trade. Otherwise, we're just going to match the offer he gets in RFA and have him for another 4 years. Barnes could very well just walk out the door.

If you do sign a guy like Thompson or Middleton though, you're likely going to have to move Bogdanovic. At that point, you have Hield, Barnes, Middleton/Thompson, and Bogdan who are all needing minute at SG/SF. Perhaps you're then looking to move Bogdan for a starting level center.
If you read my post, I said I would easily swap Buddy for Klay here. I do want to add that I would then proceed to trade Buddy for a big man who can rebound and defend.

IDC if its thru the draft or free agency. I just want marginal upgrades at backup C, backup PG and also 1 more wing player who can shoot.

I dont really care if its big names. We might be better off going for some value deals IMO.

Can’t disagree with the first two, now it’s big man time.

Vucevic is tempting, but because of pure emotion I’m going with Big Cuz. Watching him with the Warriors, he’d fit in so good with what we have built here. Great offensive player, great passer, and I think most importantly can slow the game down for us when we have to play real basketball instead of running other team’s legs off. It would save us a lot of fatigue to effectively slow the game down multiple times throughout a night.

And if he stays healthy, I see Boogie as a guy who’s game ages well. He doesn’t rely on hyper athleticism but pure skill and strength.
I disagree vehemently! Been down that road. It leads nowhere.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
KingsFans.com Free Agency Wish List
#1 Kevin Durant
#2 Kawhi Leonard

If all Free Agents would sign with the Kings at market value (with the exception of Durant & Leonard), who would be your 3rd choice?

Assumptions:
  • For unrestricted free agents, all free agents would sign with the Kings if we matched the best offer given to them in FA (similar to how restricted free agency works). This means that your 1st choice may not come down to the best player, but perhaps the player you think would have the most valuable contract.
  • For restricted free agents, consider how much we would have to pay to potentially lure them away
  • Barnes opts into his contract.
  • The decision around Cauley-Stein's FA is left up to you.

Please do not let the line of thinking "that's unrealistic" come into play when making your decision. Basketball executives still put a name down for #1, #2, #3, etc. on their draft board despite having the 10th pick. Let's make this a similar exercise.

Also, nominate a new free agent in a comment down below. The player who gets the most votes will replace the winner as a new option in the next poll.
I'm just curious - why did you allow for people to change votes?

Are you referring to just next year or do you feel the same after another 2-3 years?
So far I haven't even see any flashes of good defense from him at the 5. He's shown some at the 4 but looks utterly lost at the 5. I don't think I'd want to construct the roster where two of your best players might not really be able to fit together. I'm not going to say he can't be a solid defender in 2-3 years at the position but I wouldn't bet money on it.

So far I haven't even see any flashes of good defense from him at the 5. He's shown some at the 4 but looks utterly lost at the 5. I don't think I'd want to construct the roster where two of your best players might not really be able to fit together. I'm not going to say he can't be a solid defender in 2-3 years at the position but I wouldn't bet money on it.
I also think bagley will be good enough next year to force opponents to hsve to play s defensive 4 to matchup against bags as he wil destroy small ball SFs . This throws off what other teams want to do.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
From where I sit the Kings appear to have two immediate area's of need. Center and back up PG. To a lesser degree, a solid backup SF would be nice as well. So with that in mind, my top two choices for center would be Nikola Vucecic at number one, and De'Andre Jordan at number two. At PG my top two choices are Patrick Beverley at number one, and T. J. McConnell at number two. Both Beverley and McConnell have a toughness about them that I like, and both, especially Beverley are good defenders.

I really like Tobias Harris, but he's a starter, and who do you put on the bench. Bagley, or Barnes? Both are starters, or should be. If Barnes doesn't opt out, or if we resign him to an extension, I can't see Harris playing the SF position, and that would only leave the PF position. Where does that leave Bjelicia and Bagley? I fully expect Bagley to start next season, as does his dad. ;)

As for Butler, I think you have to realistic about things. I think our chances of signing any of the big names are slim. That doesn't mean I wouldn't give their agents a call and ask. Hey, if KD or AD or Kawhi are interested, I'd figure out a way to make it work. But I wouldn't hold my breath. In the backup SF dept, I'd be happy with Terrence Ross. Good defender and a decent to good shooter.

I believe the Kings have until June 29th to give Willie a qualifying offer making him a restricted free agent. I would expect that situation to be resolved fairly quickly because if they make him a restricted free agent, he'll have a sizable cap hold, which could interfere with other signings.

I'll be stunned if Klay Thompson leaves the Warriors, but if we were able to sign him, then we would have to trade Buddy. Both players are starters. The advantage of Klay is that he can on occasion slide over and play some SF as well. He's older, but only a couple of years older, and he's a better defender. I just think it's unlikely he leaves the Warriors, unless they try to shortchange him financially.

Finally, back to Butler, between Butler and Barnes, I think Barnes is the better fit. He's a solid scorer, and a solid defender, and he doesn't stir the pot.
Besides, it looks like Butler wants to play for the Lakers, so screw him!

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
From where I sit the Kings appear to have two immediate area's of need. Center and back up PG. To a lesser degree, a solid backup SF would be nice as well. So with that in mind, my top two choices for center would be Nikola Vucecic at number one, and De'Andre Jordan at number two. At PG my top two choices are Patrick Beverley at number one, and T. J. McConnell at number two. Both Beverley and McConnell have a toughness about them that I like, and both, especially Beverley are good defenders.

I really like Tobias Harris, but he's a starter, and who do you put on the bench. Bagley, or Barnes? Both are starters, or should be. If Barnes doesn't opt out, or if we resign him to an extension, I can't see Harris playing the SF position, and that would only leave the PF position. Where does that leave Bjelicia and Bagley? I fully expect Bagley to start next season, as does his dad. ;)

As for Butler, I think you have to realistic about things. I think our chances of signing any of the big names are slim. That doesn't mean I wouldn't give their agents a call and ask. Hey, if KD or AD or Kawhi are interested, I'd figure out a way to make it work. But I wouldn't hold my breath. In the backup SF dept, I'd be happy with Terrence Ross. Good defender and a decent to good shooter.

I believe the Kings have until June 29th to give Willie a qualifying offer making him a restricted free agent. I would expect that situation to be resolved fairly quickly because if they make him a restricted free agent, he'll have a sizable cap hold, which could interfere with other signings.

I'll be stunned if Klay Thompson leaves the Warriors, but if we were able to sign him, then we would have to trade Buddy. Both players are starters. The advantage of Klay is that he can on occasion slide over and play some SF as well. He's older, but only a couple of years older, and he's a better defender. I just think it's unlikely he leaves the Warriors, unless they try to shortchange him financially.

Finally, back to Butler, between Butler and Barnes, I think Barnes is the better fit. He's a solid scorer, and a solid defender, and he doesn't stir the pot.
Besides, it looks like Butler wants to play for the Lakers, so screw him!
I've been praising Terrence Ross' improvement from three for a few months and he would be one of those low key big acquisitions if the Kings found a way to bring him on board, big fan.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I disagree vehemently! Been down that road. It leads nowhere.
That road led nowhere because the franchise was an incompetent rudderless ship that screwed up every single step of the way. Put DMC with actual talent and good things happen.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I don’t think DeMarcus would even answer the phone. Not to mention we used our speed to keep him off the floor. Not sure he could 82 games with this pace especially with Walton aboard now. Go after vicevic hard. $100 mil 4 years. Try to save by restructuring Barnes to maybe 4 years $80 mil. Then you got 4 years back to back to re sign bogdan, buddy, fox/Giles, then Bagley, vicevic and Barnes all come up same year. By then you know who you go forward with