KingsFans 2021 Draft Board: #3

If all players were available, who should the Kings draft?

• Davion Mitchell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Franz Wagner

• Jalen Johnson

• Keon Johnson

• Moses Moody

• Ziaire Williams

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
KINGSFANS 2021 DRAFT BOARD
  1. Cade Cunningham
  2. Evan Mobley

RULES
  • You’ll be able to select only 1 player that you think would be the best pick FOR THE KINGS. This isn’t a generic big board. We’ll be making this a Kings specific big board.
  • The poll will be open for 48 hours. After it closes, the player with the most votes will take his rightful place on our KingsFans big board (in the event of a tie, I’ll be the tiebreaker to keep it simple).
  • The player chosen in the current poll will be missing from the next poll. At that point, we would only have 9 options so please post a comment below mentioning a player you would like to nominate for the next poll. The player who receives the most nominations will be added (in the event of a tie, I’ll be the tiebreaker to keep it simple).

Question for those voting Green or Suggs. Are they such on a different tier than Kuminga that it's worth passing on the potential wing to crowd the back-court with Fox/Hali/Green-Suggs?

Question for those voting Green or Suggs. Are they such on a different tier than Kuminga that it's worth passing on the potential wing to crowd the back-court with Fox/Hali/Green-Suggs?
Personally, I don't have as much confidence in Kuminga as I do Suggs & Green (higher on Suggs myself). I know it would crowd the backcourt, but I'm more worried about getting my high pick right and drafting someone I feel more confident will be a star.

You can always look to balance the roster with a trade (while acknowledging that this can sometimes put you in a disadvantage when negotiating). I love Fox, but let's put it this way. If we could trade Fox for Ingram and draft someone like Suggs, you're left with Suggs-Haliburton-Ingram. That's a pretty well balanced 1-3.

I tend to go "star hunting" (regardless of fit) at the top of the draft and I find myself looking more at fit as we pick later and later in the draft as I tend to think players taken later need the right situation, fit, etc. to flourish.

Personally, I don't have as much confidence in Kuminga as I do Suggs & Green (higher on Suggs myself). I know it would crowd the backcourt, but I'm more worried about getting my high pick right and drafting someone I feel more confident will be a star.

You can always look to balance the roster with a trade (while acknowledging that this can sometimes put you in a disadvantage when negotiating). I love Fox, but let's put it this way. If we could trade Fox for Ingram and draft someone like Suggs, you're left with Suggs-Haliburton-Ingram.

I tend to go "star hunting" (regardless of fit) at the top of the draft and I find myself looking more at fit as we pick later and later in the draft as I tend to think players taken later need the right situation, fit, etc. to flourish.
Yeah that was more my question. So you don't think Kuminga has that same upside?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I voted Green, as I did in the previous two polls as well. I think his upside is definitely on a different tier than not only Kuminga and Suggs, but Cunningham and Mobley also. I see a Kobe-type player here, and regardless of the fact that Kuminga is a better FIT for the Kings, you don't pass on a guy who might be Kobe. You just find a way to figure it out, and if he pans out and that means trading Fox or trading Haliburton, so be it. Those guys have trade value, and you'll get a ton back for sure. Or maybe you play three guards. I don't know, I'm just saying you figure it out.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
And now for my nomination that will cause consternation:

I nominate Isaiah Todd.

I know he's in the second round or even off some mocks, but I think that's a bad read by the mockers. I look at Todd and I see the second-best big man in the draft pool this year. I may be an idiot. So be it. But if I'm McNair, and I like Todd, and I'm picking in that 8-10 range, it's probably smarter to be proactive and grab him there than hope every other front office in the draft has the same opinion as the mockers and hope he falls to #38-40. Maybe engineer a trade down 5 spots if you think he'll slide that far, but don't get cute. If he's your guy, take your guy. To me, Todd is the best player not on the current draft board, so he gets my nomination even if the mock drafts don't like him.

Yeah that was more my question. So you don't think Kuminga has that same upside?
It's not so much that I don't think he has the upside to be a star, but I don't like his probability of becoming a star nearly as much as someone like Suggs.

But hey! I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again.

It's not so much that I don't think he has the upside to be a star, but I don't like his probability of becoming a star nearly as much as someone like Suggs.

But hey! I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again.
Yeah that's more a philosophy thing. If Green is a 92, Suggs is a 90 and Kuminga is an 86, do you still keep your "BPA" intact or take the guy who rates slightly worse as a prospect for you, but plays a far more valuable position and fits better with your 2 star guards?

When there's a tier/talent drop-off, there's no question. But when guys are so closely rated (imo at least, seems like not for you guys), I tend to side with the positional versatility/better team fit.

I voted Green, as I did in the previous two polls as well. I think his upside is definitely on a different tier than not only Kuminga and Suggs, but Cunningham and Mobley also. I see a Kobe-type player here, and regardless of the fact that Kuminga is a better FIT for the Kings, you don't pass on a guy who might be Kobe. You just find a way to figure it out, and if he pans out and that means trading Fox or trading Haliburton, so be it. Those guys have trade value, and you'll get a ton back for sure. Or maybe you play three guards. I don't know, I'm just saying you figure it out.
I watched some Isaiah Todd highlights. Nice jump shooting skills for a big man. You thinking KD Lite?

Yeah that's more a philosophy thing. If Green is a 92, Suggs is a 90 and Kuminga is an 86, do you still keep your "BPA" intact or take the guy who rates slightly worse as a prospect for you, but plays a far more valuable position and fits better with your 2 star guards?

When there's a tier/talent drop-off, there's no question. But when guys are so closely rated (imo at least, seems like not for you guys), I tend to side with the positional versatility/better team fit.
It will be interesting to see the next poll. It’s looking like this one will be Green and you might have some folks thinking there’s more minutes to go around with someone who has Greens size and length vs. Suggs.

I’m assuming the next poll will come down to Suggs vs. Kuminga (could be wrong) and we’ll see how many folks here are okay drafting a PG/SG in Suggs knowing we have Fox, Haliburton, Hield, Wright, and Davis. It may not only be a poll for who’s 4th on the kings board but it may also somewhat represent how KingsFans feel about BPA vs. fit. (That’s assuming everyone thinks Suggs is BPA which admittedly is a massive assumption to make).

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
I watched some Isaiah Todd highlights. Nice jump shooting skills for a big man. You thinking KD Lite?
I think KD is a big stretch. But he gives me a lot of Chris Bosh vibes. One or two inches shorter I suspect, but has that killer turnaround on the baseline, nice high release on the jumper, same kind of fluidity.