[Game] Kings Vs. Thunder, Sunday May 9th, 7 PM Pacific (10 PM Eastern)

Let's save the judgment for 2-3 years down the road
Sure. OKC team can be entirely different in 3 years, but you can't tell me getting whalloped every game doesn't affect the psyche of the current players/coaches on the team. I think about that Stephen Silas interview when the Rockets were in the midst of their 18 game losing streak... dude just looked absolutely dejected and out of answers.

Hmm, now I'm wondering what I might have said.
It was another thread about re-signing Holmes, someone asked the MLE, to which the reply was a number that had something like $X,XXX,XXX (Y,YYY,YYY - Metu).

I guess since we signed this multi-year deal a few weeks ago, I wasn't sure if that meant it ate into next years, so I just made that assumption,

dude12

Hall of Famer
Sure. OKC team can be entirely different in 3 years, but you can't tell me getting whalloped every game doesn't affect the psyche of the current players/coaches on the team. I think about that Stephen Silas interview when the Rockets were in the midst of their 18 game losing streak... dude just looked absolutely dejected and out of answers.
Exactly. With their 2 high picks, they need to start winning/competing next year. They have no stars. They got a few core pieces. They got a trove of picks that they need to hit on and get lucky or start dealing to obtain a star around the hopeful young stars they add in lottery. Right now, it’s trash.

Most ridiculous thing about the current NBA lottery system is that it just incentivizes more org's to surrender completely rather than uphold the integrity and spirit of competition. It does the exact opposite of what it was intended to do. So you end up with nonsense like OKC's team.

Not only that, but instead of one or two boneheaded teams intentionally losing for the top pick, now you've got at handful vying for the top 3 lottery odds.

The NBA was much better off with the initial lottery system where ALL non-playoff teams held the same odds.

I know the downside to that was Orlando ending up with #1 in 1993 after barely missing the postseason at 41-41.

But that's still a better situation than what they have going on now. Sure, late in the season you might have a team or two deciding that missing out on #7 or #8 to get in the lottery is better than facing one of the top 2 seeds but that would still be better than season long or 2nd half tanking by numerous teams.

The system they've developed over the past 25 years is just ridiculously stupid.
Simple solution. You cant win the lottery 2 years in a row. So if your a top 4 drafter this year next year your not in the lottery. Tanking for the worst record gets you pick #5.

most of the guys playing are G leaguers who likely won’t be on the team in 2 years so I don’t think OKC cares. They are getting their chance to prove they are NBA players or not. Bazely and Poku are the only two likely to still be around.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Exactly. With their 2 high picks, they need to start winning/competing next year. They have no stars. They got a few core pieces. They got a trove of picks that they need to hit on and get lucky or start dealing to obtain a star around the hopeful young stars they add in lottery. Right now, it’s trash.
There's a good chance that that Houston pick doesn't convey this season and they'll end up with Miami's first this year instead so instead of a chance at two of the Cade/Suggs/Mobley/Kuminga/Green level of guys, there's a good chance they wind up with one of the the next tier of guys and a pick in the late teens-20s range.

3 things
I didn’t know ESPN was the gospel.
SGA is a heck of a player...maybe a star.
There really isn’t much else there.
they aren’t and they do rank Fox over SGA.

they potentially have 2 more top 5 picks coming

I don’t know about you but I would happily role with:

Mobley
Horford/ Poku
Dort / Bazely
Green
SGA

with whatever role players they can sign with their projected 43M in cap space

There's a good chance that that Houston pick doesn't convey this season and they'll end up with Miami's first this year instead so instead of a chance at two of the Cade/Suggs/Mobley/Kuminga/Green level of guys, there's a good chance they wind up with one of the the next tier of guys and a pick in the late teens-20s range.
true but their is a better chance it does...

The Houston pick has a 59.8% chance of being 4 or 5. OKC currently has a 52.1 percent chance of their own pick being top 4.

Simple solution. You cant win the lottery 2 years in a row. So if your a top 4 drafter this year next year your not in the lottery. Tanking for the worst record gets you pick #5.
Why not just average the record over 3-5 seasons, or take time away from playoffs, or some other factor to truly help bad teams out and discourage teams from trying to do a one year fix?

Otherwise many good teams would still just tank for one year (or two tops) and bounce right back.

I'd love something along the lines of where you can't get a top 3 pick 2 years in a row and the following season, you can't get higher than the 6th pick if you so get the top 3 selection. Think the nba is finding this year with the play in that adding or removing incentives can make teams care more during the regular season

One slight modification they could make to this is the worst 12 teams have the same odds with the 13th and 14 teams having slightly worse odds. That might prevent an 8th seed from “tanking” to get to 12th.
I hadn’t thought of that. Makes sense.

Nothing will ever be foolproof, I realize. It’s all about minimizing. The system they have now and for the past 25+ years doesn’t do that.

I remember lots of dog days during the KINGS first 10 years in SAC. I attended a lot of those games. I never felt the opposition (or the KINGS) was mailing it in like they do now. Never.

Sometimes a star player didn’t suit up if dealing with minor injuries, but on the whole the teams competed fairly normally. Even with pride still.

This better odds system has flushed that completely down the toilet. And we fans are getting ripped off. Especially those paying ridiculously high prices for tickets. It’s a big problem.

I thought of that option. But it doesn’t solve the greater problem IMO. It only focuses on one team. Others will be lining up to do the same thing that didn’t get #1 the previous year.

The idea of using a 3 or 5 season average has also been floated before. While that would probably de-incentivize some teams, I can still see a couple bad teams being incentivized to tank to bring their average down.

I think evening the odds across the board, but maybe using @iowamcnabb’s idea of reducing lottery odds for the bubble teams at 13 and 14 might be the best way to go. If they keep this ”play-in” format going then make it the same odds for 1-10 with reduced odds for the 4 teams that reach the play-in but get eliminated.

Is the play-in even supposed to be an anti-tanking measure?
i think it was more of a deterrent of teams taking the last couple weeks of the season off. teams in the 7-12 continue to play to either stay in the playin scenario or move to the 6th seed. the 4-6 seeds need to keep playing so they dont fall into the playins. I think it worked since i dont hear too much about playoff teams resting players this season. i guess it also keeps the teams within playin distance from tanking since they have something to play for but doesnt stop teams like okc, houston and the like from tanking since they have no chance at all of coming close to the playoffs or playins.

Yeah but the point of tanking is building a future winner. Whether or not the current players and staff feel dejected doesn't matter (from a team vukdy perspective) if in 2-3 years they've built a sustainable winning team. And let's not pretend that the point about them being dejected wasn't part of a broader "tanking is bad because it promotes losing culture" argument.

but doesnt stop teams like okc, houston and the like from tanking since they have no chance at all of coming close to the playoffs or playins.
But leveling the lottery odds across the board sans the playoff/play-in teams sure would stop it. There’d be nothing to gain. But something to lose in terms of ticket sales and fan interest.