[Game] Kings vs. Raptors, 1/8/2021 7pm PST, 10pm EST

dude12

Hall of Famer
I think the better question for some to consider is why are Hield’s numbers down from when Walton started coaching this team. Some find it hard to believe that it can be Walton’s fault but each coaches schemes do affect players production.

Hield has been as bad as CoJo and almost as bad as Bagley. Walton obviously doesn't know how to coach him but he's not doing himself any favors with his shooting either. Used to seem like he was automatic and he didn't need a ton of daylight but so far this year he's had a big negative impact on the team. Hoping that changes when Walton gets canned.

You know what the problem with Bagley is? He spent too much time in the studio making music instead of at the gym lifting weight and bulking up. Look at his size and muscle....he got push around easily under the basket...it is no wonder he can't defend. Even letting small guy like Eric Gordon drive inside and push him away and score...i was like wtf....no way.
Prob is teams realize he has a hook shot and that's it.

Buddy adding weight did not help matters. He is not a physical player, it wasn't needed. He's always been better served being lighter and moving better. Of course Walton is not helping matters but Buddy looks worse than ever. Hope he can turn it around so we can get something decent for him, as it's very clear that Fox/Haliburton is the backcourt of our future.

Buddy adding weight did not help matters. He is not a physical player, it wasn't needed. He's always been better served being lighter and moving better. Of course Walton is not helping matters but Buddy looks worse than ever. Hope he can turn it around so we can get something decent for him, as it's very clear that Fox/Haliburton is the backcourt of our future.
Chavano does look worse than ever.
Play of the game vs Toronto, he literally moved out of the way for a player to drive straight to the basket (@9:46), then threw up his arms complaining to teammates, when it was clearly his fault.

Chavano was able to lower his 34% 3pt percentage in the last game.

His team and man-to-man defense has always been bad and now he is unreliable on offense at best. He is jacking up selfish shots pretty much each game that are just "bad looks."

Buddy is not getting open, and when he sees a small opening for a 3 he bombs it. He’s as good of a shooter as most of the top guys in the league, but he doesn’t have ability by himself to free himself for a shot.
Do you think it might have something to do with the fact that the whole league knows Buddy can shoot, and they shade towards him all the time?

Do you think it might have something to do with the fact that the whole league knows Buddy can shoot, and they shade towards him all the time?
i wish our team knew when the other team had a good shooter. so annoying to see players like kyle korver, duncan robinson or joe harris get open shots when they play the kings.

I could go into a long explanation of how Vlade washed his hands and sealed his fate by screwing up his "rebuild" when he failed to offer WCS any kind of a contract but I'll just stick with this:

WCS is the best screener of all big men in the league - he does not have a lot of different skills, but no other big man goes out and sets screens for three point shooters like Willie did in Sac. Both Bogi and Buddy needed those screens and flourished with Willie. When he left, both of those shooters declined because neither could get their own shot.

About the only other skill Willie had was dunking on lobs but other than six assists (all lob dunks) from Bogi in a home win over the Lakers (with Randle playing center) in their first month together, the Kings never made that a part of their offense, so he just kept sprinting out to the three point line to set screens for shooters who needed them (opposing centers usually did not sprint out with him).

I'm perfectly happy with Holmes and the Invisible Man (who had BETTER get some run tonight), but Willie was a player who did not need the ball in his hands to make other shooters better.

We got nothing for him after he played 81 decent games for the team, thinking he would be valued and paid, since he was a big part of that 39-43 record. Instead, they played him and then they played him.

Which leads me to wonder why we ALWAYS have to let players go with bad tastes in their mouths (head coaches too).

When you have guys like DMC, Rudy and Willie (and Malone, Karl and Joerger - or should that be Karl Malone and Joerger) badmouthing your franchise at every opportunity, it doesn't make young players think about coming here. From what I've heard about Bogi being told one thing while the team did another, he might also be in that category.

Play of the game vs Toronto, he literally moved out of the way for a player to drive straight to the basket (@9:46), then threw up his arms complaining to teammates, when it was clearly his fault.

His team and man-to-man defense has always been bad and now he is unreliable on offense at best. He is jacking up selfish shots pretty much each game that are just "bad looks."
His defense has actually been really good this year. He's probably expending too much energy there to be honest. If Walton committed to a true switch defense where man to man is the goal then it would be more noticeable but they are stuck between a help defense and a switch defense. That's no mans land.

I could go into a long explanation of how Vlade washed his hands and sealed his fate by screwing up his "rebuild" when he failed to offer WCS any kind of a contract but I'll just stick with this:

WCS is the best screener of all big men in the league - he does not have a lot of different skills, but no other big man goes out and sets screens for three point shooters like Willie did in Sac. Both Bogi and Buddy needed those screens and flourished with Willie. When he left, both of those shooters declined because neither could get their own shot.

About the only other skill Willie had was dunking on lobs but other than six assists (all lob dunks) from Bogi in a home win over the Lakers (with Randle playing center) in their first month together, the Kings never made that a part of their offense, so he just kept sprinting out to the three point line to set screens for shooters who needed them (opposing centers usually did not sprint out with him).

I'm perfectly happy with Holmes and the Invisible Man (who had BETTER get some run tonight), but Willie was a player who did not need the ball in his hands to make other shooters better.

We got nothing for him after he played 81 decent games for the team, thinking he would be valued and paid, since he was a big part of that 39-43 record. Instead, they played him and then they played him.

Which leads me to wonder why we ALWAYS have to let players go with bad tastes in their mouths (head coaches too).

When you have guys like DMC, Rudy and Willie (and Malone, Karl and Joerger - or should that be Karl Malone and Joerger) badmouthing your franchise at every opportunity, it doesn't make young players think about coming here. From what I've heard about Bogi being told one thing while the team did another, he might also be in that category.
The Willie I remember was not a good screener. Didn't have the bulk for it and teams had no fear of him on the pop. He was good on slips and in pick and roll but unfortunately for him that was prior to Walton who to his credit has been running more pnr than Joerger did.

I’m not keen on relitigating WCS, but its funny that, as you just posted this, I just happened to notice on NBA.com that WCS has the top net rating and offensive rating in the league (yesterdays game must have hurt Halliburton’s, it seems).

I mean, he can but it's not ideal. It's the same issue the Rockets faced with PJ Tucker at center. Sure, he can man up a guy in the post for three or four possessions but the bigger guys are just going to play over his head like Ingram did in their matchups this season. Dort looks like he'll be a solid on the ball defensive role player guy in his career, which is nice to have but not if he's your go-to small forward. This is actually a similar problem we're seeing with CoJo in our three guard lineups as he usually gets stuck on wing and outsized regardless of good defensive effort or positioning. If we're going to trade Buddy for a dude to guard wings, I'd rather he be an actual wing and not a short guard we're forcing to defend out of position.

On the issue of Dort's offense, Dort currently has a 1 to 1 assist to turnover ratio and he struggles to create for others or himself whenever teams actually bother guarding him on that end of the court. As a spot up shooter, he'll probably end up settling back down around the .350 range, which is what Buddy is shooting now despite being in the midst of a horrific shooting slump.

I realize Buddy is like enemy number one for you and Dort is apparently your new player crush so this is like a wet dream for you but selling super low on Buddy and taking on three seasons of Horford's max contract for a fourth guard is how bad teams stay bad.
The only wings that Dort will have problems with are the KD/MPJ types. But they present issues for everyone in the league. You can't guard them if they're on, they're on. The George/Lebron types, who out muscle as well as out skill you, he'll be able to give them problems. He's 6'3, but he plays big.

No one is going to confuse Dort for Haliburton or Fox. But that's not his role. Nor should it ever be. But he at least has the ability to consistently drive to the hole. I'd take his ability to drive to the hole and to play elite defense over Buddy, who gives you an elite shooting game once every 10 games and average to subpar play in the every other area of the game.

Last edited:

Plus he had two breakaways where he stopped at the three and bombed bricks. Once it was 2 on 2 and another it was 2 on 1. Doug comments on the last brick: you can't catch up at once. What Doug really wanted to say was you can't catch up by playing dumb ball.

If you trade for Dort you have an undersized wing defender, another wing defender in Woodard and lose spacing, which your non shooting PG absolutely needs. If you keep Buddy, you have both an elite shooter and a full sized wing defender. By the way, Justin James is a really good defensive player too. He just doesn't get any run.

If you trade for Dort you have an undersized wing defender, another wing defender in Woodard and lose spacing, which your non shooting PG absolutely needs. If you keep Buddy, you have both an elite shooter and a full sized wing defender. By the way, Justin James is a really good defensive player too. He just doesn't get any run.
He's undersized length wise, but can defend 1 - 3 just fine. If length and strength was all that mattered in a defender, WCS and Bags would be defensive beasts. Yet an undersized 5 like Draymond can be a first team all NBA defender.

Yes, there will be some spacing issues, but I'll take one currently elite defender over a once every ten games elite shooter. When was Buddy's last elite shooting game? Woodard developing into an elite defender is just dreams at this point (though I hope it happens).

Last edited:
How did this turn into the Dort thread?
Who TF cares about dort? Dort who.
Pretty funny:)

That said I looked up his defensive highlights from last year. Yes he has them:) He is a tough defender for his size and quite an irritant.

Is he worth taking on the Big Al contract? I'm going to say no.

But click here to see the highlights-->

Pretty funny:)

That said I looked up his defensive highlights from last year. Yes he has them:) He is a tough defender for his size and quite an irritant.

Is he worth taking on the Big Al contract? I'm going to say no.

But click here to see the highlights-->
6'3 Ron Artest.

Dort runs through picks. Buddy stops when he feels a pick and goes my job is done here.