Kings vs Mavs - summer league

McCallum looked strong, I like the Lowry comparison made earlier. Started out a solid backup, and became a solid starter once he developed a 3pt shot.

McLemore didn't produce much, but otherwise was as expected, nice looking shot and shaky handles. I was surprised how fast he got up and down the court, while he never really looked like he was pushing. He's such a good athlete and moves without the ball, so he will find his place.

If you look at what Bradley Beal did this year, and even Ray Allen as a rookie, expectations on McLemore to be that 2nd scorer off the bat are a little much.

People are gonna realize what we lost once the season starts. I read a tidbit on Twitter that ESPN posted that since 2009, only Dwayne Wade has made more shots in the paint than Tyreke Evans among guards. Reke and Demarcus were the only 2 players that made the opposing team's defense bend and adjust. Imagine if the offense had revolved around those 2 like it was supposed to.

as much as I liked tyreke, his skillset just doesn't fit with the current nba, he can't shoot and he was a black hole on offense. I'm so glad to see us finally run a real offense with real pg play and screens and running actual plays. Mccallum needs to be our backup pg now, he knows how to run an offense and dribbling is amazing, he can drive to the hole plays great D, and runs the offense. I love mccallum.

ben mclemore is going to be a huge part of our team, his shot is beautiful, it was just off today. I was loving our screens and off the ball movement, something I haven't seen since Casspi and peja. Our offense has been awful to watch lately, it's been pickup game basketball for years it'll be nice to watch a real professional style game. Mclemore has a special skillset, he's a 6'5 guard with a 42" vert and one of the best looking shots I've seen in years. His shooting % will catch up when he shakes off the rust and jitters. I'm very excited to watch him and mccallum this year. We need to move Isaiah and finish the crossover from a team full of offensive black holes who refuse to run an offense and only care about getting their own points. Mclemore is going to be playing with mccallum who clearly showed he can setup players, and Vasquez a guy who is a good dribbler and had a 45% assist rate I'm not worried about mclemore creating his own offense, he won't need to, he will have time to develop that. A freak athlete can develop a drive game for the most part but as clearly evidenced by tyreke, if you have an ugly shot it's probably never going to get better

as much as I liked tyreke, his skillset just doesn't fit with the current nba, he can't shoot and he was a black hole on offense. I'm so glad to see us finally run a real offense with real pg play and screens and running actual plays. Mccallum needs to be our backup pg now, he knows how to run an offense and dribbling is amazing, he can drive to the hole plays great D, and runs the offense. I love mccallum.

ben mclemore is going to be a huge part of our team, his shot is beautiful, it was just off today. I was loving our screens and off the ball movement, something I haven't seen since Casspi and peja. Our offense has been awful to watch lately, it's been pickup game basketball for years it'll be nice to watch a real professional style game. Mclemore has a special skillset, he's a 6'5 guard with a 42" vert and one of the best looking shots I've seen in years. His shooting % will catch up when he shakes off the rust and jitters. I'm very excited to watch him and mccallum this year. We need to move Isaiah and finish the crossover from a team full of offensive black holes who refuse to run an offense and only care about getting their own points. Mclemore is going to be playing with mccallum who clearly showed he can setup players, and Vasquez a guy who is a good dribbler and had a 45% assist rate I'm not worried about mclemore creating his own offense, he won't need to, he will have time to develop that. A freak athlete can develop a drive game for the most part but as clearly evidenced by tyreke, if you have an ugly shot it's probably never going to get better

These are the kinds of posts that make me questions the basketball knowledge of kings posters.

Tyreke's game is perfectly made for today's nba and is more similar to its greatest stars than anyone else that has been on our roster in 5+ years. I'm not claiming his performance is there but the skill set is.

Vasquez is the throw back to traditional past first point guards as most teams simply don't run those kinds of offenses anymore.

Name me one team that has a ball hog who can't shoot and is successful?
How is he a ball hog? The stats dont support that.

And many good ISO players with strong driving abilities struggled to shoot at the start of their careers.

Again, you are demonstrating a lack of current nba knowledge.

How is he a ball hog? The stats dont support that.

And many good ISO players with strong driving abilities struggled to shoot at the start of their careers.

Again, you are demonstrating a lack of current nba knowledge.
Tyreke's not a ball hog? Lol. Moving on, you're obviously living in a dreamworld where a duo of tyreke and cousins actually won games and didn't completely implode.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Tyreke's not a ball hog? Lol.
You people are kinda sad really. Either didn't watch games/living off rep, or just flat out trolling at a certain point.

Reke was indeed one of those sneaky take fewer than 12 shots a game/be 5th on his own team in shots per minute ballhogs. One of those nasty be top 5 amongst all SGs in assists ballhogs.

I won't even justify the silliness of the second half of your post. Were you by any chance aware that the second half of the season BOTH DeMarcus and Tyreke were shooting 50% as they "imploded"? I didn't think so. Now someone actually interested I making an honest assessment might scratch his chin and go hmm... Lot of things wrong with this team. They weren't one of them by the end of their run together. Never even got a chance to explore it with all the junk floating in their waters.

Last edited:
Durant went 4-19 in his first summer league game. so i think 4-23 means this kid has a bright future! ;)
There is no bright side to an atrocious 4-23, it doesn't matter what Durant (who pulled that up?) did in his first summer league game. What McLemore showed was concerning. I didn't like the form, as I didn't when he was bricking 10 shots in a row in an earlier summer league practice clip posted on the forum. His knowledge of the defensive scheme looked shaky. His ball-handling/iso game was as advertised unfortunately. To his credit I will say that he showed off some nifty passing, especially in the half-court, and he did show how fast he can run the floor and bring the ball up as well. Overall a negative impression as far as I'm concerned, but for the sake of the future of the franchise lets hope it is turned around.

McCallum looked strong, I like the Lowry comparison made earlier. Started out a solid backup, and became a solid starter once he developed a 3pt shot.

McLemore didn't produce much, but otherwise was as expected, nice looking shot and shaky handles. I was surprised how fast he got up and down the court, while he never really looked like he was pushing. He's such a good athlete and moves without the ball, so he will find his place.

If you look at what Bradley Beal did this year, and even Ray Allen as a rookie, expectations on McLemore to be that 2nd scorer off the bat are a little much.
I really liked how he took control of the game while on the floor, and was the best defensive player on either side IMO. And he did it all while looking like he wasn't breaking a sweat.

You people are kinda sad really. Either didn't watch games/living off rep, or just flat out trolling at a certain point.

Reke was indeed one of those sneaky take fewer than 12 shots a game/be 5th on his own team in shots per minute ballhogs. One of those nasty be top 5 amongst all SGs in assists ballhogs.

I won't even justify the silliness of the second half of your post. Were you by any chance aware that the second half of the season BOTH DeMarcus and Tyreke were shooting 50% as they "imploded"? I didn't think so. Now someone actually interested I making an honest assessment might scratch his chin and go hmm... Lot of things wrong with this team. They weren't one of them by the end of their run together. Never even got a chance to explore it with all the junk floating in their waters.
This has all been pointed out before. It's all factual. And hiero and his ilk will continue to put their fingers in their ears and shout to the tree tops that Tyreke is a ballhog/can't shoot/insert inane babbling nonsense. In fact I'm pretty sure he won't respond to your post. It would be funny if it weren't so pathetic and downright stupid.

BTW, since someone posted Durant's 4-19 SL debut, it should be pointed out that Tyreke had 25pts, 10rebs and 5 assists in his SL debut, and he went on to be a complete bust who hogs the ball and can't shoot.

Before someone comes at me with a pathetic strawman, nowhere above did I comment on McLemore. I like his game and think he's going to be a good player. The poor shooting in the opener isn't indicative of anything.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Dear lord. Tyreke isn't on the team anymore and complaining about him being gone isn't going to bring him back nor is declaring him the worst bust of all time going to actually make him so. So instead of bitching about a guy who isn't on our roster anymore and taking over EVERY SINGLE FREAKING THREAD with the same incessant bickering, why don't we all just calm down and chill. No wonder I've stopped checking in here as much as I used to

BTW, since someone posted Durant's 4-19 SL debut, it should be pointed out that Tyreke had 25pts, 10rebs and 5 assists in his SL debut, and he went on to be a complete bust who hogs the ball and can't shoot.

Actually... Tyreke had 15pts, 4rebs, 2 assists, and 4 turnovers in his SL debut. You're talking about his second SL game.

These are some of the comments posted after "One Summer League" game, ready.....

Cuad - BMac has forced two shots... he should stop.

Bricklayer - he does not have a special skillset.

Sac.Kings - McCallum is filthy. I want him to start, tradition be damned!

Fear the Putin - McLemore played like ****…..we've been having more success with our 2nd rounders lately

Kings Fan 23 - Ben McLemore was atrocious. I'll try to maintain composure on this. After one summer league game I fully expect Thornton to be our starting two guard next season and I see serious holes in #16's game that make me concerned about his future:confused:

Kings Fan 23 - I know I'm putting the cart way before the horse, but I have more faith in his (McCalum's) future with the Kings than Vasquez as of this minute.

Rainmaker - As for McCallum, if I was IT I'd be pretty nervous.

Kings Fan 23 - There is no bright side to an atrocious 4-23, it doesn't matter what Durant (who pulled that up?) did in his first summer league game. What McLemore showed was concerning. I didn't like the form, as I didn't when he was bricking 10 shots in a row in an earlier summer league practice clip posted on the forum. His knowledge of the defensive scheme looked shaky. His ball-handling/iso game was as advertised unfortunately.:confused:

You know!! I hate to come down on my friends on Kingsfans.com, but stop with all of the absolutes after one pick up game. This is the same stuff heard during the "Fire PDA Week", when the team has not played one game on the floor yet. And I know what I am about to say is going to illicit some fire back which is fine, but I was absolutely thrilled with seeing somebody playing basketball with Sacramento Kings on the front of the jersey; that is "the" only absolute I came away from yesterday.

Did McLemore shoot too much? Maybe, but maybe he was encouraged to keep shooting.
Did McCallum look like a keeper, YES!!!, but as a starter or at the expense of Vasquez (who was third in the entire NBA in total assists) and a third year veteran in Thomas, probably not, at least not yet.

I just want us to let this off season and pre-season play out and "Trust the Process". Give this whole situation a chance before we anoint or condemn anything or anybody.

Dear lord. Tyreke isn't on the team anymore and complaining about him being gone isn't going to bring him back nor is declaring him the worst bust of all time going to actually make him so. So instead of bitching about a guy who isn't on our roster anymore and taking over EVERY SINGLE FREAKING THREAD with the same incessant bickering, why don't we all just calm down and chill. No wonder I've stopped checking in here as much as I used to
i gotta agree here. i was as pissed as anyone when we let him go, and still am, but there is no point to keep going on about it in every thread!

Maybe he shouldn't have continued forcing it, but you have to remember he banged his knee. Probably wasn't the same after
that. I'll give em a pass for his 1st time out

Agreed. It sucks, but he's gone, lets move on now.

Maybe he shouldn't have continued forcing it, but you have to remember he banged his knee. Probably wasn't the same after
that. I'll give em a pass for his 1st time out
i get the feeling the coaches were also trying to get him to shoot his way out of the slump. being that him and Ray will be the only ones actually on the team, they probably want him to get shots up and get some confidence now while the games are meaningless.

Bricklayer

i get the feeling the coaches were also trying to get him to shoot his way out of the slump. being that him and Ray will be the only ones actually on the team, they probably want him to get shots up and get some confidence now while the games are meaningless.
I think that was part of it -- they kept throwing him out there, even gave him the last shot to tie it (which I thought was a good move).

If there was a concern it wasn't the forced shots, which is common for rookies and unlikely to be a part of McLemore's game given his limited creative abilities. If there was a concern it would have been that he also missed about a dozen absolutely core shots, wide open shots, shots off screens etc. But I just doubt that will be a long term issue. Its possible the longer three point line is a problem -- some college guys just have exactly college three point line range, some have several feet further. But again, just going on rep, and this is a rep thing really, I doubt that's true long term either.

I've said before and again watch for skillsets. It means you don't worry excessively about 4-23 or 5-17 or anything. You just watch how the shots come, and do they look comfortable. Half a dozen forces that won't be there long term for McLemore aside, the rest of the shots all looked comfortable and of bread and butter types. His jumper form is very nice. That doesn't always mean as much as people think it does, but its certainly a good indicator. It just seems unlikely that McLemore is going to turn out to be a bad shooter. That should be the one thing he can do. I have open questions on most other things except the jumping. Did show a little passing ability, so should be able to fill the requirements for a normal SG there. In any case, he did a number of things poorly the first game, but the shooting is the one of those that I'm least worried about.

I feel we watch a different NBA. I saw Westbrook struggle navigating a pick and roll his first 2 seasons in the league and now just started leading players on passes. It was a process. He learned to be a PG in the NBA.

I've seen enough of GV. We won't win much if he's our ball dominant guard. People look at his stats more than they watched him play. We're gonna get run out of the building if he has to guard the other teams point guard. Cousins will foul out in the 2nd quarter stepping up trying to stop penetration.
We probably do see the NBA differently. It wouldn't be the first time. What makes you think we won't win much with GV over Reke at PG? Both are ball dominant guards but one works to gets others involved and the other doesn't really do that. I know it's not that simplistic. One has better individual defense, and one has a higher BBall IQ which I believe will help in getting our team defense out of last place. Cousins will not foul out in the second quarter. He's already shown that he's been able to cut the fouls down.

About Westbrook, was that regarding offense or defense? He plays the pick and roll fine right now. Are you talking about GUARDING against the pick and roll?

Hence the reason Westbrook got 50 assists a game his first year at point. /sarc

Tyrekes trouble wasn't seeing the floor it was making the correct decision. Decision making can be improved with better coaching teaching and habit forming. You would regularly see him taking too much time to start the offense almost like he was waiting for someone to call a play or move without the ball. Or he would take an extra step on a drive because he wasn't sure when to pass then throw up a shot or pass and an offensive foul but he would also decide before driving sometimes that he would pass and he would be ready to make great passes. That is just better system so he knows where guys will be and better tutoring and sideline prompting so he is prepared to make better decisions.

I saw it as fixable. More easily fixed the earlier in a career you are but still fixable now. Every play we run now will require picks and lots of movement. Reke could break the defense without a pick if needed and that would have opened up more plays that could potentially be created for our offense. Its ok I like picks and movement but I also like the ability to break defense without those and I really really like an offense structure maybe we will finally see one. And hopefully a defensive one?
I agree with the second sentence but not the first. I think it was issues with seeing the open man and being able to adjust to defensive changes and see the mismatches. It's something Bibby was able to do all day long. Remember when we had Wells and we knew that there would be a mismatch all night with the opposing SG since Wells was a good post guard? It's those little things that can win a game. Knowing there is a mismatch and getting the ball to him. I haven't seen that in a few years. (not that we had many players that would create a mismatch). I did not mind Evans playing SG, but I think we have all seen enough, bad coaching or not, to tell if he could flourish at PG or not. (I actually was kinda upset when drafting MLM because I was wanting Evans to play SG)

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I agree with the second sentence but not the first. I think it was issues with seeing the open man and being able to adjust to defensive changes and see the mismatches. It's something Bibby was able to do all day long. Remember when we had Wells and we knew that there would be a mismatch all night with the opposing SG since Wells was a good post guard? It's those little things that can win a game. Knowing there is a mismatch and getting the ball to him. I haven't seen that in a few years. (not that we had many players that would create a mismatch). I did not mind Evans playing SG, but I think we have all seen enough, bad coaching or not, to tell if he could flourish at PG or not. (I actually was kinda upset when drafting MLM because I was wanting Evans to play SG)
I'm mostly trying to stay out of this one, but don't these two statements more or less reinforce each other? Other than Cousins what mismatches have we had to exploit? The only other mismatch was Evans himself at PG and you're calling him selfish for recognizing that one and attempting to exploit it. I thought that was working pretty well actually, until we went away from it. The team obviously was starved for talent under the Maloof bargain-basement payroll system (seriously starved -- Brick has already pointed this out, but it's shocking how many of those supporting cast members on the '09-'10 and '10-'11 teams are either out of the league completely or currently looking for a job just two years later) but we did have two big mismatches that took turns looking unstoppable on offense even without a supporting cast. Again I think you're just assuming that you can't have a mismatch at the PG position because to role of the PG is to feed other players, but moving Tyreke first to SF then to SG actually eliminated the only other mismatch we could exploit and made us easier to defend.

McLemore has a sweet stroke. I am not worried about all the misses. What I am worried about is the handle (or lack there of) that is a big weakness for him! His other skills should be fine!

I am liking McCallum. He has that poise and calmness which is a great trait to have especially as a PG. I think he will be a lot better than a lot of people initially thought.

I'm mostly trying to stay out of this one, but don't these two statements more or less reinforce each other? Other than Cousins what mismatches have we had to exploit? The only other mismatch was Evans himself at PG and you're calling him selfish for recognizing that one and attempting to exploit it. I thought that was working pretty well actually, until we went away from it. The team obviously was starved for talent under the Maloof bargain-basement payroll system (seriously starved -- Brick has already pointed this out, but it's shocking how many of those supporting cast members on the '09-'10 and '10-'11 teams are either out of the league completely or currently looking for a job just two years later) but we did have two big mismatches that took turns looking unstoppable on offense even without a supporting cast. Again I think you're just assuming that you can't have a mismatch at the PG position because to role of the PG is to feed other players, but moving Tyreke first to SF then to SG actually eliminated the only other mismatch we could exploit and made us easier to defend.
Yah I put that in there after the fact. I wrote it out then was thinking to myself that we really haven't had any mismatches besides Cousins and to a lesser extent Salmons when he was guarded by smaller SGs. Other than that we really haven't had any.

McLemore has a sweet stroke. I am not worried about all the misses. What I am worried about is the handle (or lack there of) that is a big weakness for him! His other skills should be fine!

I am liking McCallum. He has that poise and calmness which is a great trait to have especially as a PG. I think he will be a lot better than a lot of people initially thought.
If McLemore's asset to the team is going to be as a spot up shooter/occasional slasher on the move, I'm not to worried about his handles. I'm a little worried about going 4-23, but, this is summer league. I'm not sold on players and their long term potential during summer league, but the numbers need to improve. How he responds will be interesting. Will he go Trey Burke, and just keep shooting any shot that comes up? There were times when Burke just threw up the ball on shots that had no business of being taken because he kept missing. Will he look to get involved in other ways? The pressure will be on him once the season starts for sure, so whatever kinks need to be worked out, I hope he gets it done.

I did notice a few times that BMc was in position to get a great look at an easy bucket, and wasn't noticed by teammates. It's a strange dynamic for sure, because unlike spring training for baseball, when you're a nobody trying to showcase your skills, often times you're doing it at the expense of others.

Bricklayer

If McLemore's asset to the team is going to be as a spot up shooter/occasional slasher on the move, I'm not to worried about his handles. I'm a little worried about going 4-23, but, this is summer league. I'm not sold on players and their long term potential during summer league, but the numbers need to improve. How he responds will be interesting. Will he go Trey Burke, and just keep shooting any shot that comes up? There were times when Burke just threw up the ball on shots that had no business of being taken because he kept missing. Will he look to get involved in other ways? The pressure will be on him once the season starts for sure, so whatever kinks need to be worked out, I hope he gets it done.

I did notice a few times that BMc was in position to get a great look at an easy bucket, and wasn't noticed by teammates. It's a strange dynamic for sure, because unlike spring training for baseball, when you're a nobody trying to showcase your skills, often times you're doing it at the expense of others.
When you throw up 23 shots in 31 minutes you really don't have much right to complain when your teammates miss you a few times.

He got lots of shots. lots of easy shots too. Just did not hit them. In fact I'm pretty sure 2 of his hits were an alley oop and a follow inside, so we're talking 2-21 otherwise. I say it does not worry me purely because of his rep as a shooter, but it was pretty stinky.