Kings vs Mavs - summer league

Ben also stopped squaring up at some point. That last three was fading at an angle for no need.

Chad Ford, a KU fan, said of McLemore "he can't dribble". So there's a lot to work on to keep him from being easy to defend. He looks like he can be a good defender as well. It's just that when he gets the ball off a screen and there shot isn't right there, the defense doesn't have to respect his drive. He needs dribbling drills and work on spin moves.

On the same note, he missed open shots he is capable of making. I don't panic over one game, but you can see weaknesses in a player's first game that provide roadblocks later down the road.

I know I'm putting the cart way before the horse, but I have more faith in his future with the Kings than Vasquez as of this minute. If Greivis starts hopefully he can show me defense at an NBA level
I'd rather play McCallum. All the rumors were we wanted to bring in another player and ship Greivis out. If that is the case, then you give the young guy you had a lot of faith in the job to build his experience and have the "vet" come off the bench. At least in a rebuild scenario.

Nod. He showed his ability to play off of screens and get open shots, which is what you look for in summer league. His shooting percent was lousy, but shooters have off days. If he shoots that bad for a long period of time during the season you start to worry. Freaking out before that is a bit premature.
This was key for me. He's forced into being a lead option here in SL. His game (at least right now) is all about coming off screens and playing off people. Not going ISO hero ball. And our coaching staff seems to recognize that as McLemore was running off that double baseline screen all game. Which is all we're going to ask him to do come Regular season time.

However, he showed some other good skills as well. Good athleticism, good work on the boards, very active defensively and the hustle deparment. Just all hampered by a horrendous shooting night

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I think he was taking good shots, a lot were open.

Btw, Ray McCallum had 11 pts, 8 rbds, and 4 ast. But also shot 3-11.
You can see he's a dynamic guy though. Its summer league, being dynamic against scrubs is not always the same as being dynamic against Chris Paul. But I definitely liked his ability to create and stick his nose in there. Was a strong game whatever the percentages.

I thought Ben's handles were just slightly below par before this game. I never watched him at Kansas and unfortunately Pollard looks right so far on his assumptions

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I thought Ben's handles were just slightly below par. I never watched him at Kansas and unfortunately Pollard looks right so far on his assumptions
More than slightly below par.

But the thing is, you can see why -- he doesn't even think its part of his game. Its not like TRob last year deciding to play point forward. With Ben he barely even tried to dribble, and given the results, that's a good thing. That's obviously highly limiting, but the yabbering fool over on the sideline covering the game (Reggie) couldn't dribble a lick either, and he made it work (with a lot of help from his teammates).

i like his skill sets, bt he really fit exactly what his scouting report was..couldnt create his own shot, turned it over and fell when trying to drive...he looked akward when he attacked the rim...as far as his bad shooting i think it was more that in college he had 1 and half steps off of screens and now its 1 step or half a step, he was rushing a little bit...and anyone looking for him to be the number 2 guy better reconsider, he is a number three...

I thought Ben's handles were just slightly below par before this game. I never watched him at Kansas and unfortunately Pollard looks right so far on his assumptions

Ben will never be Tyreke Evans, and the Summer League definitely favors guys who can create their own shot. I would however like to see Ben be able to pump fake and drive to the basket where he can use his athleticism.

ok a FEW were bad. but really it was just not falling. maybe nerves? maybe just off, maybe just got ding'd up early.... doesn't matter this guys a SURE FIRE TALENT. its a summer league game. its always more chaotic than real NBA games so the style is different. Many GREAT players struggled in the summer league. as well as many BUSTS played outstanding in the summer league.

It means nothing. its just one game. did anyone else hear when Reggie and Kerr were talking about how George Hill went like 0-40 his first 4 summer league games???... how did that turn out for his career??? hahaha

EVERYBODY CALM DOWN AND RELAX. Ben's gonna be just fine.
I am perfectly calm and relaxed. im just stating what I saw. It was a little more then a "FEW" man... come on. It was definitely over 10 bad/forced shots. he had alot of good shots aswell that just didnt fall. I still think he could be a good player, like you said, SL dosent matter. And I think the chaos dosent suit Bens game well.

Was SUPER impressed with Mccallum. Showed great poise and I think he'll find a way to be a rotation player soon for the Kings. I think we got a steal here.

Last edited:
You can see he's a dynamic guy though. Its summer league, being dynamic against scrubs is not always the same as being dynamic against Chris Paul. But I definitely liked his ability to create and stick his nose in there. Was a strong game whatever the percentages.
Yes, and he seemed like he was very calm and could be a good leader on the court. I think we got a big steal in McCallum as a 2nd rounder.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I really don't know what some of you were expecting with McLemore. He's a system guy and this was a glorified pickup game. Even going back to high school he was never the take-over games with his scoring guy. He's a wingman, that's always been his game. What's special about him is that you look at that shooting form and the "where did he just come from?" flying putback dunks and you can really see how he could be not just a good one but a great wingman for a shot creator to dump the ball to either spotted up for three or cutting to the basket. My enthusiasm over getting him in the draft would have gone down considerably if you told me before hand that we weren't keeping Tyreke. Oladipo is the guard in this draft with the aggressiveness and all-around game to really shine as a featured player. We know that McLemore can't create shots, he didn't need to do it at Kentucky. We know that he doesn't catch the ball in a triple threat position and torch the defense. He comes off of screens and makes shots. That's what's special about him, he flat makes shots all over the floor when his team needs him to and he hustles on defense. Eventually those skills are really going to be valuable for our team. He should be a solid complimentary starter at SG. He might come out in one of these games and drop 40 points but he's not going to do it every night. And he's not going to do it isolating, creating off the dribble, and shooting turnaround jumpers. Not unless he's added all of that to his game in the last month.

Watching this game just makes it even more apparent that we lost a special special talent in Tyreke. And I didn't even want us to draft Tyreke, I wanted Brandon Jennings, but it was clear from day one that he was on a whole other level from the rest of his peers. And I like McLemore a lot, I really do, but his ceiling isn't anywhere close to Tyreke's in my opinion. Nothing to panic about here. And it's pretty apparent that McCallum has the talent to make the roster, so that's good news.

Last edited:
I really don't know what some of you were expecting with McLemore. He's a system guy and this was a glorified pickup game. Even going back to high school he was never the take-over games with his scoring guy. He's a wingman, that's always been his game. What's special about him is that you look at that shooting form and the "where did he just come from?" flying putback dunks and you can really see how he could be not just a good one but a great wingman for a shot creator to dump the ball to either spotted up for three or cutting to the basket. My enthusiasm over getting him in the draft would have gone down considerably if you told me before hand that we weren't keeping Tyreke. Oladipo is the guard in this draft with the aggressiveness and all-around game to really shine as a featured player. We know that McLemore can't create shots, he didn't need to do it at Kentucky. We know that he doesn't catch the ball in a triple threat position and torch the defense. He comes off of screens and makes shots. That's what's special about him, he flat makes shots all over the floor when his team needs him to and he hustles on defense. Eventually those skills are really going to be valuable for our team. He should be a solid complimentary starter at SG. He might come out in one of these games and drop 40 points but he's not going to do it every night. And he's not going to do it isolating, creating off the dribble, and shooting turnaround jumpers. Not unless he's added all of that to his game in the last month.

Watching this game just makes it even more apparent that we lost a special special talent in Tyreke. And I didn't even want us to draft Tyreke, I wanted Brandon Jennings, but it was clear from day one that he was on a whole other level from the rest of his peers. And I like McLemore a lot, I really do, but his ceiling isn't anywhere close to Tyreke's in my opinion. Nothing to panic about here. And it's pretty apparent that McCallum has the talent to make the roster, so that's good news.
Good post, and the bottom line is a guy like Reke helps a guy like MLM. MLM didn't show anything unexpected today. He's an off the ball shooter, a guy who needs screens, guys drawing doubles and kicking, or looks off penetration and shifting defenses. He had an off night shooting, so what? It happens. It's one game. I'm still high on him but the reality is he'd be better next to a guy who can create, who can penetrate, open passing lanes where he can then make the defense pay. We've lost that guy and haven't replaced him. MLM can be a very valuable piece, extremely valuable, but his value is lowered when you don't have someone collapsing defenses and forcing switches next to him. Without that, it's much easier to guard him and stick with him on the perimeter.

As for McCallum, if I was IT I'd be pretty nervous.

People are gonna realize what we lost once the season starts. I read a tidbit on Twitter that ESPN posted that since 2009, only Dwayne Wade has made more shots in the paint than Tyreke Evans among guards. Reke and Demarcus were the only 2 players that made the opposing team's defense bend and adjust. Imagine if the offense had revolved around those 2 like it was supposed to.

People are gonna realize what we lost once the season starts. I read a tidbit on Twitter that ESPN posted that since 2009, only Dwayne Wade has made more shots in the paint than Tyreke Evans among guards. Reke and Demarcus were the only 2 players that made the opposing team's defense bend and adjust. Imagine if the offense had revolved around those 2 like it was supposed to.
amen

Yes, but can he play pg or sf full time? pg as in being a general of the offense, not scoring in the paint

Summer league favors guys that can get their own shot off the dribble, Ben will be a system guy through and through in the NBA. What i did see was that his off the ball movement was crisp and fast with purpose, his shot is very smoothe. It's just gonna take him some time to get his wheels under him at the next level. I remeber Klay Thompson would have terrible shooting nights as a rookie, but his movement and mechanics were spot on. This is surely what will happen to Ben this year, he will have some nights where he lights it up, and others where he cannot hit a damn thing.

McCallum looked nice though, doesn't have the greatest quickness but he is strong and gets up. He looks like a guy that can fill out his frame with some time in the weightroom and that will help him. He is also 2 years older than Ben, this guy looks like he is ready to step in and contribute right away, also he is vocal and has potential to develop as a leader, one of the most important things from your PG.

Just caught the game on my DVR.

Here are my 'notes' .... WAIT! McLemore just missed another jumper ;)

For the basic game stuff, I thought we ran some nice sets. Like, better than all of last season. We ran multiple screen sets for McLemore, and I thought our out of bounds plays were really nice for the most part. As the game went on, you could tell that Gordon, Aiken, McCallum, Lockett, and McLemore (by default) were the best players on the court, and those are the guys we went with to close the game. I was happy to see that. The little things :)

McLemore You know, he actually started the game ok, and we were winning. Watch that first quarter again. He didn't force as much, and played very passive which helped the team, because once he got aggressive he really shot us out of the game. He was the reason we lost. People can say summer league blah blah blah who cares about wins no big deal, but his gunning cost us the game. He just seemed all out of sorts. Passed up good shots and took bad ones. Frequently dribbled out of a good shot and into a tougher step back. Did little to prove he could create his own shot or handle the ball at all. Showed nice athleticism, and his shot form is still very nice when he isn't stepping back / fading away. Defense was average at best.

McCallum Very impressive, and showed the sort of things I have been watching clips of since we drafted him. Great athleticism and size for a guy who CAN play point guard like a point guard. He scored a lot in college by necessity but he played a very good 'floor general' and 'leadership' game. Controlled most of the flow for better or worse. Most of the time it was for the better. Used his size on the glass and as a passer. Found a lot of shooters, including McLemore and they just bricked everything. I thought his defense was also very good most of the time. Has all the tools to be a very good defender.

Gordon and Aiken were both also impressive. I'm excited to see if they can keep it up. Gordon has a but more offensive skill and looks like the better talent overall, but Aiken looks like a very good athlete and shot blocker. One could make the case that Gordon was the best king tonight. Played with a lot of energy and really hit the boards hard.

Yes, but can he play pg or sf full time? pg as in being a general of the offense, not scoring in the paint
If given the time and proper coaching, he can be a PG in the way Russell Westbrook is. You know how much growing pains they went through with Westbrook at PG? They stuck with it and now, they have the most physically dominating PG in the league. The Kings could have had the same advantage if they left had left Reke at PG. They gave up on it too soon.

I wonder if becoming a millionaire on paper threw Ben off today. He did seem too happy with all the missed shots.

The Sacramento Kings today signed first-round draft pick Ben McLemore to a contract, according to Kings General Manager Pete D’Alessandro. Sacramento selected McLemore with the seventh-overall pick in the 2013 NBA Draft. NBA.com

Ray McCallum looke pretty good but seems to have trouble finishing in traffic. Ben has a BEAUTIFUL jumper. Hope he can add some off the dribble stuff. He seems to be a little clumsy off the bounce and in transition as a ball handler.

I wish the coaches would put the ball in McLemore's hands more by design. He is a poor dribbler right now, and lacks confidence putting the ball on the floor. Part of that is understandable: he played in a very rigged system at Kansas, where his role was to come off screens and look to get himself open. I've also heard that he played PF in high school, which would further explain his deficiency in this area. The results will likely be poor at first, but the whole point of summer league is to develop players.

I wish the coaches would put the ball in McLemore's hands more by design. He is a poor dribbler right now, and lacks confidence putting the ball on the floor. Part of that is understandable: he played in a very rigged system at Kansas, where his role was to come off screens and look to get himself open. I've also heard that he played PF in high school, which would further explain his deficiency in this area. The results will likely be poor at first, but the whole point of summer league is to develop players.
Its gonna take more than one summer for him to get comfortable dribbling but yea, I agree they do need to let him handle more so he can get used to it.

I loved having a play where we ran multiple screens for Ben also, he is the future, but looking into this season, Thornton will benefit from those kind of plays. I cringed every time our offense was a Thornton iso last year. I think Ben will be able to learn a lot from Thornton actually.

I loved having a play where we ran multiple screens for Ben also, he is the future, but looking into this season, Thornton will benefit from those kind of plays. I cringed every time our offense was a Thornton iso last year. I think Ben will be able to learn a lot from Thornton actually.
Those off ball screens are so foreign to us Kings' fans lol. Not only that, our big men other than Chuck Hayes were horrific screeners.