[Game] Kings vs. Magic [Vegas Summer League] 7/9/2022 1pm Pacific, 4pm Eastern (ESPN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
"Just make it the story! Number one pick, whats his name again? Seal the deal against the Kings... THE KINGS! Who cares about them?" - refs in a group
should be noted that, for whatever summer league is worth, Paolo was absolutely crumbling under pressure on offense over the last ten minutes of the game with his one highlight being a super controversial review call where the refs managed to not only erase a foul and completely ignore a goaltend but also give one team the ball despite there being no clear possessor at the time of play.

Haha such a fun game for it being SL. Our boy Keegan showed up and showed out, Paolo looked like a bull in a China shop all game and had the TOs to prove it against Murray. Almost as perfect as us King fans would have scripted it.
Next game, I really hope they get Keegan some touches in the post. Playing him this way makes him totally dependent on situation and could build bad habits on his drives.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Good game. Murray showed his best attribute - catch and shoot. Banchero looked like the #1 pick in the draft. Best thing about the game was listening to coach Brown. I'm looking forward to hearing him give Kings' progress reports next season. It was also nice to hear how hard Fox is working this off-season.

Good game. Murray showed his best attribute - catch and shoot. Banchero looked like the #1 pick in the draft. Best thing about the game was listening to coach Brown. I'm looking forward to hearing him give Kings' progress reports next season. It was also nice to hear how hard Fox is working this off-season.
Yeah, it's pretty obvious, Banchero is going to be a teams number 1 option at some point as a true triple threat monster.

Next game, I really hope they get Keegan some touches in the post. Playing him this way makes him totally dependent on situation and could build bad habits on his drives.
Big Q passed up a few different handoffs to Keegan as well that would have given him an easy shot. They barely looked his way or passed to him in the first half as well. Game plan will be altered hopefully, but even if it isn’t, Keegan still made his presence felt in second half and good lord is that boy smooth at times out there.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
No one will say it so i will.. coach messed up there in the OT n Double OT..

Murray makes the big shot to bring it to OT and doesnt get a FGA afterwards? wutface?
Yeah, Ellis and Queta got pretty bad tunnel vision to close out the game. Worked out okay in some aspects (Ellis three, the Queta overturn) but really wish they’d have at least gotten him a touch.

She’s been slobbing on Paolo all game
I lost respect for Doris Burke claiming Banchero got all ball on that block. We can argue whether ”hand is part of the ball” or whether the contact should be called — but to say he didn’t whack Queta’s wrist is disingenuous.

Furthermore the way they hyped #1 pick all game long showed the obvious agenda. It’s among the many reasons I hate ESPCNN. They are AWFUL.

When that LONG review went on and on, who in the building or watching on tv didn’t know they were going to overturn and give Banchero another chance so they can continue to hype him in the highlight reel the rest of the day?

Banchero nearly had a 9th turnover on the final play, but got extremely lucky. And you know they won’t talk about any of the turnovers in the highlights.

Banchero is a nice player, but got bailed out consistently by the officiating today as if he was a 10-yr. vet. Dude shot something like 5-14 but gifted countless free throws on contact less than the foul he got away with on the block.

Make no mistake, had one of the no name KINGS made that same block in the same exact reverse situation it doesn’t get overturned. Not a chance.

I guess the "Murray cant create his own shot" crowd is happy they didnt let him try to create something in OT / Double OT...

The old saying about basketball coaches is you get judged on your out of bounds plays and plays out of timeouts... I'm unimpressed with the looks we got

this team is going nowhere in this summer league how can we not let murray get the ball and the shot in EITHER OT... especially after what just transpired... disappointing

You know if we are going to criticize our guy, we should also recognize Banchero struggled with the pressure himself. Lost it at end of OT and got bailed out end of 2nd OT after almost losing the ball again. He had great moments, but cooled off a lot while having a ton of turnovers. I think it was an excellent showing for Murray overall and he hit a big time shot after a great pump fake. Face up game and dribble is weak, but those things can be improved! Fun game at the end.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Yeah, it's pretty obvious, Banchero is going to be a teams number 1 option at some point as a true triple threat monster.
It's sacrilegious to say, but I do see some Magic Johnson in him. He's elite in ball handling and passing for a player of his size. He'll figure out the TOs, I have no doubt. He just has to focus on rebounding the ball better and he'll get a lot of triple doubles.

It's sacrilegious to say, but I do see some Magic Johnson in him. He's elite in ball handling and passing for a player of his size. He'll figure out the TOs, I have no doubt. He just has to focus on rebounding the ball better and he'll get a lot of triple doubles.
Elite in ball handling? He’s got good handles for a big man but Magic Johnson? I wouldn’t go that far.

I guess the "Murray cant create his own shot" crowd is happy they didnt let him try to create something in OT / Double OT...

The old saying about basketball coaches is you get judged on your out of bounds plays and plays out of timeouts... I'm unimpressed with the looks we got

this team is going nowhere in this summer league how can we not let murray get the ball and the shot in EITHER OT... especially after what just transpired... disappointing
I wasn't a big fan of his usage either. Murray can create his own shot in the post. Up top, nope. Maybe on a single dribble pull up or a spin of the pick and roll. It would have been nice to see some pick and pop though.

lol. I turned the game off at about 20 seconds left in regulation and apparently missed the best game in summer league history.
Honestly, it’s a SL game so I’m already over the nonsense at the end of sudden death.

To me, the most important thing I saw was the final play that sent the game into OT.

Keegan Murray’s calm demeanor in collecting the loose ball then moving out to the 3-point line then having the patience to get the defenders off their feet to then calmly drill the shot was tremendous to see.

Yes, it was just SL game but in those types of situations A LOT of players panic and rush. Banchero and the 2nd defender did just that. Keegan did not. And it’s refreshing to see from a KINGS player.

I think we may have found a keeper.

Who should be getting criticized is Murkey shooting 3-13. Like who do you think you are launching it like you’re a #1 pick or something?
It's hard to complain with the defensive effort late, but this team is going to struggle creating from the perimeter if that's the goal. Great effort but if that's the plan then yeah, Murkey, Coleman, and even Ellis look like the best bets there.

dude12

Hall of Famer
What is exciting is thinking of how Murray can help when surrounded by Fox and Domas. Include the other 3 point shooters on the court and I think Murray is going to have some good scoring games because his 3 point shot just looks great. Fox can have a big year.

Banchero is going to be exactly what Orlando needs which is a number 1 option

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
It's hard to complain with the defensive effort late, but this team is going to struggle creating from the perimeter if that's the goal. Great effort but if that's the plan then yeah, Murkey, Coleman, and even Ellis look like the best bets there.
My guess is that they were starting Ferrari to kinda simulate the downhill attacking offense they’ll be running with Fox and Davion that Mike Brown was talking about with Mark and Doris but the issue there is that Ferrari is approximately 5% the scorer either of those guys are and pretty much worse in every other aspect aside from setting up lobs so it was letting Orlando overplay everyone else while also taking advantage of him on defense. We saw Ellis start running downhill when they switched him to PG at the end of the game and predictably it didn’t immediately look great but it at least looked competent.

If we employ these schemes with our actual roster, I’ll be very happy.

Oh yeah, got him in the left hand
Nemi’s entire hand breaks forward. I don’t know why Doris is so sure he didn’t hit the hand. Lol
Clearly. Only a blind or agenda driven person didn’t see it.

That said, I’m ok with the argument that simultaneous contact to the ball and hand/wrist shouldn’t be called. Just don’t try to tell everyone that watched it that there wasn’t any contact.

I’ll give Banchero credit for his ability to even make a play on the ball. But if that was Queta making the block on him, good luck convincing me that they make the same overturn.

Status
Not open for further replies.