[Game] Kings vs. Clippers - 4/2/2024 - 7:00PM PST/10:00PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vezenkov got 10 minutes when Lyles and Len were on the court. He only took one shot, plus two foul shots, but as the coach likes to say, "He played the right way."
He was very good at switching players in defense, helping in double team situations. Protected the paint well, the only shot was a corner 3 but from a difficult position (similar to the one HB bricked at the other corner hitting only the glass).
I would like to see Kessler over Duarte in the next match against the extra physical Knicks that might get favorable calls after complaining about no fouls given to them some hours ago at Miami.

Good game, despite some sloppy moments at times. Balanced attack, but defense was even better. Also bench made very good impact on the game.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
What a joy it was to watch the bench tonight. They were fan-tastic. Mitchell didn't make a bad decision with the ball all night - give him an A+ for BBIQ. Everything he did was good - shooting, passing, defense. Len was incredibly good on defense, making a huge impact in this game in the first half. There needs to be a Len fan club. I hope he's a King for years to come. Lyles: It's soooo good to have him back - his physicality, shooting and BBIQ. Ellis continued with his stellar defense and good decision making. The aforementioned players deserve a lot of credit for their improvement, but the coaching staff should also get an ovation. We can't complain anymore about the Kings not developing talent. One last thing. The guy we barely saw in this game was Colby Jones. I'm really looking forward to see what he does next year. He could be pretty special, imo.

Davion was phenomenal tonight. Near perfect game from him on both ends of the floor. That was a starter quality performance. I liked his controlled aggression on offense. Very decisive in his shot selection and passing. Made life hell for Harden and Westbrook. We need him against those strong, stocky guards.

Davion was phenomenal tonight. Near perfect game from him on both ends of the floor. That was a starter quality performance. I liked his controlled aggression on offense. Very decisive in his shot selection and passing. Made life hell for Harden and Westbrook. We need him against those strong, stocky guards.
Idk about strong but stocky for sure. Especially Harden out there loafing around.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Sabonis needs to pull that 14-18ft shot.

That's really the only thing I can say negative about this game.

Murray needs to continue to be aggressive, as that is the only path forward for us to be a contender. Monk or no Monk.
I think by default with Huerter & Monk out, Murray needs to increase the usage, make or miss. Keep the defense honest and guessing. Can't have Fox chucking 30+ shots a game and Sabonis by nature isn't an aggressive shot taker

I'm all for more Lensanity. Dude single-handedly erased so many Clippers possessions in the paint that they had to resort to heaving threes. It's almost criminal how little Mike Brown has used Len this season.
I have never understood the reluctance to use Len going all the way back to early last season when it was clear he filled a huge gap for us. And not using him more in the GS series I simply will never understand. I can only hope he does not make the same mistake.

Someone gave him a pep talk at halftime. But this was Alex Len's game. In the on-court interview, he repeated what an old coach told him about coming off the bench: focus on the + - not on points or rebounds. Just affect the game any way you can in a positive way.
Coach Brown and I agree on something for once: "At the end of the day, freaking Alex Len, what a man he was today. He played 12 minutes and was +18. He played a beautiful, beautiful game of basketball.”

https://kingsherald.com/interviews/...nt-second-half-propels-sacramento-to-big-win/

I think by default with Huerter & Monk out, Murray needs to increase the usage, make or miss. Keep the defense honest and guessing. Can't have Fox chucking 30+ shots a game and Sabonis by nature isn't an aggressive shot taker
Those shots have to come from Keegan, Davion, Trey and Sasha. Thankfully, Davion seems to have really found a groove with his shooting and has just been a super quality player the last couple months.

We can't fully replace Monk and huerter offense, but I think we can get close. Defense has to continue to play lights out because I don't think we can really get into shoot outs super effectively anymore without our 2 SGs

Agreed, Len against GSW when they go big helps Domas not shoulder the whole load in the paint. Also Davion on Curry should be a constant.
These were gargantuan coaching blunders in my eyes that seemed like incredibly obvious solutions to series-losing problems. At the time I may have been a bit drunk on the COY kool-aid, justifying it in my mind by thinking there must be some reason I can't see for these decisions. I'm six months sober now.
1712154628739.png

I know at least one of you brought this up before but maybe the recent change in how the refs call games really is the reason we have transformed defensively and not necessarily the insertion of Keon into the starting lineup. Ellis has been really excellent, not taking that away from him, but he’s had a clunker or two and we still were stout defensively. Mike has preached physicality and when we have actually been allowed to do so we have been a good defensive team, even if you go back to the playoffs last season. Fewer ticky tack fouls probably helps certain teams more than others and it appears we may be one of the primary beneficiaries. Let’s hope this a permanent change. Personally I think it’s more enjoyable to watch than getting free throwed to sleep.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Those shots have to come from Keegan, Davion, Trey and Sasha. Thankfully, Davion seems to have really found a groove with his shooting and has just been a super quality player the last couple months.

We can't fully replace Monk and huerter offense, but I think we can get close. Defense has to continue to play lights out because I don't think we can really get into shoot outs super effectively anymore without our 2 SGs
sacrificing some offense for more effort on the defensive end is the only way the Kings have a chance to advance into the Postseason whether it's this season or years down the road, Brown knows this and that's why he constantly preaches it.

sacrificing some offense for more effort on the defensive end is the only way the Kings have a chance to advance into the Postseason whether it's this season or years down the road, Brown knows this and that's why he constantly preaches it.
That's where Keon, Davion and Len all becoming consistent rotation players has really helped us fix some of our defensive problems. Hell, even Sasha was flying around on defense yesterday and congested a few shots.

This year in the short term, think you're right. Offensive load has to fall heavily on fox Keegan domas while the rest of the dudes have to bring it on defense. Only way we advance

Lol. Mike Brown is doing a masterful job right now yet the keyboard coaches are going to still find a way to show their coaching prowess is better than his.
Brown once got fired the year after winning COY. Not saying he will or should this year, but it's happened. And I'm not a hater, I just have sobered up. Once again, my actual opinion on Brown is that he's doing an OK job. But people think that any measure of objectivity around Brown is unwarranted because he's currently (always??) "masterful".

It's ridiculous.

Last edited:
Lol. Mike Brown is doing a masterful job right now yet the keyboard coaches are going to still find a way to show their coaching prowess is better than his.
The best part is them thinking that us not playing Len was a "mistake" in that series. Gs chews up stationary bigs like him for breakfast and he was getting cooked those first few games on D in space. No coincidence we won game 6 on the back of Lyles at the 5 and Keegan at the 4 on D.

We lost because our 2 best players were hurt and of our starters were unplayable the whole series

Not sure why the quoted poster chooses to turn a positive into a negative. Wholly unnecessary and personally critical of other forum member posters' opinions. Neither personally healthy nor forum friendly.

Coach Brown was forced to re-think his strategies when the injuries severely cut into his standard rotational choices. Exposing Ellis for his worth as well as seeing positive contributions from players further down the bench should be an eye-opener of the unappreciated qualities of the King's squad. Brown has adapted well to the requirement for flexibility and innovation. It is forced growth but growth nonetheless.

Additionally, with shooters like Huerter and Monk down, it is/was incumbent for Keegan to be unleashed as a major offensive contributor and to show his all-around game with more touches. He is much more than "Corner Keegan" recently.

dude12

Hall of Famer
The best part is them thinking that us not playing Len was a "mistake" in that series. Gs chews up stationary bigs like him for breakfast and he was getting cooked those first few games on D in space. No coincidence we won game 6 on the back of Lyles at the 5 and Keegan at the 4 on D.

We lost because our 2 best players were hurt and of our starters were unplayable the whole series
Yeah, but those facts don’t fit the narrative.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Not sure why the quoted poster chooses to turn a positive into a negative. Wholly unnecessary and personally critical of other forum member posters' opinions. Neither personally healthy nor forum friendly.

Coach Brown was forced to re-think his strategies when the injuries severely cut into his standard rotational choices. Exposing Ellis for his worth as well as seeing positive contributions from players further down the bench should be an eye-opener of the unappreciated qualities of the King's squad. Brown has adapted well to the requirement for flexibility and innovation. It is forced growth but growth nonetheless.

Additionally, with shooters like Huerter and Monk down, it is/was incumbent for Keegan to be unleashed as a major offensive contributor and to show his all-around game with more touches. He is much more than "Corner Keegan" recently.
I would say this is in response to the other post about the attack on Brown. I don’t believe it to be over the line nor is it a personal attack on forum members but I am responding strongly to the opinions posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.