[Game] Kings vs. Hornets 2/28/21, 7pm PST, 10pm EST

Vaguely recall some time in remote past (probably under Natt) Kings got down 24-4 to LAL after first quarter and whet on to a massacre blowout.
Or I meant to say 40-4!
You had to remind me, huh?

IIRC that game happened in the 1st season or two that the KINGS were in SAC. And they hadn’t beaten LA in LA since like 1974. I remember Magic Johnson hitting a half court buzzer beater to push a game to OT (eventually won in 2 OT) to extend that streak.

Then the game you’re talking about happened.

It was once 36-0. And ended 40-4. I can’t be sure off the top of my head, but I think the KINGS scored all 4 points at the FT line. But they might have hit one FG.

Doesn’t matter. It still qualifies as one of the worst quarters in NBA history.

Then we also have our 1-40 road record in the early 90’s to brag about too. Don’t want to remember how many they lost in a row.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I'd blame Holmes just as much as I would CoJo. He provides absolutely no help defense and decides to try to contest when it's already too late.
I know this play has nothing to do with it, but I hate the Holmes / Bagley combo. It can’t be the long-term solution, and as much as I rag on him Bags is more important to the future than Holmes is.

You need a guy who compliments Bags’ anti-D. Ideally a younger more spry Hassan Whiteside.

Last edited:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I'm not on board with this. I'm not sure if firing Walton will make us tank harder or not but he's doing a pretty good job. Might be nice to let a new coach start next season fresh.
This. I don’t want any type of mini-run convincing Vivek than Alvin Gentry is his guy. Ride it out with Tank Commander Luke and his First Hand Man CoNo, and start fresh with a brand new coach and a sweet sweet not-butchered by an incompetent GM #3 pick next year.

This. I don’t want any type of mini-run convincing Vivek than Alvin Gentry is his guy. Ride it out with Tank Commander Luke and his First Hand Man CoNo, and start fresh with a brand new coach and a sweet sweet not-butchered by an incompetent GM #3 pick next year.
Mistyped not/now but I think you got the gist.

Surely this front office isn’t just gonna sit on their hands here? Can’t wait for national media to make fun of all day tomorrow. “The Jump” can’t wait I’m sure

I know this play has nothing to do with it, but I hate the Holmes / Bagley combo. It can’t be the long-term solution, and as much as I rag on him Bags is more important to the future than Holmes is.

You need a guy who compliments Bags’ anti-D. Ideally a younger more spry Hassan Whiteside.
For a competing team in the league, Holmes brings more value. Bagley brings more value for a rebuilding team... us. Most PFs and Cs are expected to be plus defenders, in the same way that most PGs are expected to be minus defenders. As a result, this really hurts Bagley's value. Bagley's negative on defense is the same as Fox's negative as a shooter. We really need to find good complimentary players to make up for it.

If we see Fox-Haliburton-Bagley as the future of our team, then we need a future SF and C. We need them to be strong defenders and good shooters.

This is going to be pretty hard for Monte to figure out.

I'm also now thinking of who we can trade to get a draft pick to maybe package with our lottery pick to get a higher pick. I'd be open to trading literally anyone but Fox and Hali (but would prefer to keep Barnes and Holmes).

Krunker

Northernmost Kings Fan
You had to remind me, huh?
It was once 36-0. And ended 40-4. I can’t be sure off the top of my head, but I think the KINGS scored all 4 points at the FT line. But they might have hit one FG.
Yep, it was 1987. I remember the Lakers home crowd actually cheered when the Kings finally scored. I think it was either Reggie Theus or Derek Smith (RIP).

The more i think about it the less angry i am about this loss. Honestly 1 of tyrese playing, or hitting a damn free throw and we probably win this game. We didnt have to come back from a late double digit lead or anything crazy. Overall i felt we did what was needed to win the game and just crapped the bed the last minute of the game. This is the picture perfect Lin. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Showing we can win and should win, what we did to lose could be corrected/fixed. Dont foul on the 3 and make your free throws...and yeah trade away CoJo

It's really simple, stacked class this year and no fans in the stands, but tanking is really only 1 of 3 parts of the equation. I don't anyone here believes that one more draft pick, as high as it is in a stacked draft class is a cure-all magic solution. It's just the baseline talent that is needed to actually make this a young core on par with the rest of the rebuilding teams.

They need to

1. Acquire another blue-chip prospect, at least as good as Fox and probably better.
2. Firesale Vlade Divac's roster.
3. Acquire other draft and propsect assets along the way.

Something Vlade was incapable of doing because of his imcompetence, pride, and rebuilding policy respectively.

This was a game right out of 1985. Fast paced, plenty of scoring and token defense.
Probably the worst defense of both sides of the ball this year.
PJ Washington gets 42 points? Some guy named Bagley was covering him.
The Kings have cultivated a culture of losing. They excel at it.

when did fox become so indecisive and such a horrible free throw shooter?
My kings friends have told me that bagley has been looking better. Since I don’t watch games, maybe this was just one bad game? cause he played horrible defense and he looked incredibly selfish.
Buck up kings fans, at least this is getting you guys closer to a better draft pick.

Halliburton plays and the Kings win by 5+ pts. Tough loss -- highly winnable.
The Kings are a rhythm team. If they have pretty much any solid group of players over an extended time playing together, they start to win. Switch lineups, or have injuries, and the team falls apart.

This speaks to both a lack of overall talent as well as mental toughness and determination that is needed to overcome adversity. Props to HB for trying to bring out the aggressiveness in the team, but he can't do it alone. Holmes brings the intensity as well, but I don't know how he is viewed by his teammates as far as leadership goes.

All in all, these guys don't need a "players coach". They need a hard nosed type coach like Thibs or Pop to set the tone since the players don't have it in them to do it themselves.