[Game] Kings vs. Hornets, 12/19/2022 7pm Pacific 10pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kings players need to be taught to learn to box out and not standing around when the ball is in the air...like I think Mitchell letting Melo come in and slam the ball after a missed shot.

Also, I don't like some of the lineups that Mike Brown put out there. I rather play Okpala than Lyle because he's a better defender. I wouldn't do pick n roll w/ Queta because he ain't a good offensive player...it's a waste of possession to me. Also, maybe it's better to go with Len than Queta? Our defense rotation and help rotation was bad. Of course, despite all of that, we still could have won it if they made their free throws.

Kings probably thought it's an easy game with Charlotte and being home, they probably put their feet off the pedal...mentally not prepare as hard imo. Same go with the coaches...probably. It'll be great to win this one...but whatever.

First loss of a "game we're supposed to win" of the season. Was bound to happen eventually.

I do contend that the Hornets aren't a 7-23 with a healthy Melo. But still, a totally winnable game they mostly just choked away at the line, missing wide open 3's and just poor defensive effort for good chunk of the game

disappointing loss. Not much to dissect. The result is in the free throws. Kings could’ve still had a terrible free throw shooting night and still won…but they decided to have an extra terrible free throw shooting night.

Huerter in his second missed FT threw it up like he was panicking and knew he would miss. Kings fans might have to start clapping for him when he goes to the line like they used to for Michael “The Animal” Smith back in the day. Some encouragement. Maybe for all these guys.

The other area is second chance points. I’m pretty sure when I looked at the box score at halftime the Kings were ahead in rebounding or it was around even. The final tally looks like they were smashed the entire game. Kings need more size, more athleticism or both in the front court. I know technically they are a good rebounding team but it feels like they can be significantly better. They’ve lost several games because of rebounding.

I want to see KZ more. Hard watching Hayward and Oubre eat while KZ watches and the other subs aren’t delivering.

Trey Lyles has pretty much pump faked his way out of my good graces. His heel has touched the out of bounds line of my patience.

Queta would be ideal but he’s not ready. Full career college player and g-league stud. Don’t know if he ever will be ready.

you could usually tell within a minute if TD is worth playing.

No Metu tonight.

Kings are in a very favorable stretch. They can pretty much ensure a winning season over the next month. Not a very good start. Charlotte is the worst team in the NBA and they will be among the worst teams at the end of the season regardless of who is back. This is a terrible loss.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
You know my dad had complications from his cancer surgery today (he is ok) that resulted in them not being able to complete the surgery. I was really hoping for a win to take my mind off of that. Sucks being this emotionally attached to wins and losses haha. Vecenie was saying on his podcast that fans of all teams tend to be hanging on to every win or loss more than any time than he can remember. They were theorizing that social media, instant highlights and forums had something to do with it
difference is forums have been around before highlights and social media

Kings players need to be taught to learn to box out and not standing around when the ball is in the air...like I think Mitchell letting Melo come in and slam the ball after a missed shot.

Also, I don't like some of the lineups that Mike Brown put out there. I rather play Okpala than Lyle because he's a better defender. I wouldn't do pick n roll w/ Queta because he ain't a good offensive player...it's a waste of possession to me. Also, maybe it's better to go with Len than Queta? Our defense rotation and help rotation was bad. Of course, despite all of that, we still could have won it if they made their free throws.

Kings probably thought it's an easy game with Charlotte and being home, they probably put their feet off the pedal...mentally not prepare as hard imo. Same go with the coaches...probably. It'll be great to win this one...but whatever.
Agree about Len. Not sure if he was actually available tonight, but not playing him all season is ridiculous. He's played well for the Kings, why not use him in spots? I know he's a better NBA center than Queta. Seems like someone made up their mind that Len and Holmes would no longer be played and they're sticking with the idea.

disappointing loss. Not much to dissect. The result is in the free throws. Kings could’ve still had a terrible free throw shooting night and still won…but they decided to have an extra terrible free throw shooting night.

Huerter in his second missed FT threw it up like he was panicking and knew he would miss. Kings fans might have to start clapping for him when he goes to the line like they used to for Michael “The Animal” Smith back in the day. Some encouragement. Maybe for all these guys.

The other area is second chance points. I’m pretty sure when I looked at the box score at halftime the Kings were ahead in rebounding or it was around even. The final tally looks like they were smashed the entire game. Kings need more size, more athleticism or both in the front court. I know technically they are a good rebounding team but it feels like they can be significantly better. They’ve lost several games because of rebounding.

I want to see KZ more. Hard watching Hayward and Oubre eat while KZ watches and the other subs aren’t delivering.

Trey Lyles has pretty much pump faked his way out of my good graces. His heel has touched the out of bounds line of my patience.

Queta would be ideal but he’s not ready. Full career college player and g-league stud. Don’t know if he ever will be ready.

you could usually tell within a minute if TD is worth playing.

No Metu tonight.

Kings are in a very favorable stretch. They can pretty much ensure a winning season over the next month. Not a very good start. Charlotte is the worst team in the NBA and they will be among the worst teams at the end of the season regardless of who is back. This is a terrible loss.
Well with all the FTs we had, we also put Ball and Plumlee in early foul trouble. So not only did we have a big FT advantage, we let Oubre and a bunch of their role players build leads on us

I’m going to keep blabbing about Plumlee until it happens. He can pass enough to do what Sabonis does on offense for bursts. Big body and annoys the opponent. We don’t really have a guy like that. They have like 6 guys they should be giving minutes to. Alex Len and a second round pick is enough.
perfect backup to Sabonis. A vet with size and experience, can pass, high IQ, can fill in for Sabonis if he misses any time or is in foul trouble. But I think Charlotte waits to see if they can make a run before moving him.

perfect backup to Sabonis. A vet with size and experience, can pass, high IQ, can fill in for Sabonis if he misses any time or is in foul trouble. But I think Charlotte waits to see if they can make a run before moving him.
yeh I think they will try to hold out a bit longer but it’s likely too late. If they went on a 10 game winning streak they would be 6 games under .500

Agree about Len. Not sure if he was actually available tonight, but not playing him all season is ridiculous. He's played well for the Kings, why not use him in spots? I know he's a better NBA center than Queta. Seems like someone made up their mind that Len and Holmes would no longer be played and they're stickinang with the idea.
Len was in warm ups and available. Too many defensive lapses on top of the FT fall-out spelled a sh^t-show. In the first quarter the Kings went up 18-11 but quickly allowed the Hornets to overtake them. In the early 3rd, they allowed something like an 11-2 spurt to again give the Hornets a 12-pt lead in less than 2 min which the Kings had to use the whole quarter to fight back. Not enough defensive movement to counter cuts to the basket And the trend continued again allowing the Hornets to jump to a 7 pt lead to start the 4th quickly. Way too many points in the paint - and you're right Len might've been able to help. FTs have been and continue to be a big problem....game in and game out - and this game was their worst outing of the year for that.. At least they rebounded better defensively this game compared to others, but only a small consolation in a poor loss. The bench continues to play poorly too....another concern. Not a good enough focus at home.

I’m going to keep blabbing about Plumlee until it happens. He can pass enough to do what Sabonis does on offense for bursts. Big body and annoys the opponent. We don’t really have a guy like that. They have like 6 guys they should be giving minutes to. Alex Len and a second round pick is enough.
I mean if Brown is going to consistently run this drop coverage and help off of pick and roll on defense anyway, Plumlee for sure would be an upgrade on the other end. Queta did actually stand a chance not switching. Len probably can too but man, 48 minutes of bigs dropping off pick and roll will cement this team at the bottom of the league defensively for sure. But what heck is a few spots haha.

Love how people around here just expect a guy that has 2mins of playing time this season, to come in and play flawlessly... This isn't NBA 2K, it's real life and things take time to work, it takes time to adapt to the system, teammates playing styles and speed of the game, it's NOT a switch you can just turn on.

It's funny to see people here talking bad about Queta and that probably havent even bothered to watch a single gleague minute before to see how he really plays.

Love how people around here just expect a guy that has 2mins of playing time this season, to come in and play flawlessly... This isn't NBA 2K, it's real life and things take time to work, it takes time to adapt to the system, teammates playing styles and speed of the game, it's NOT a switch you can just turn on.

It's funny to see people here talking bad about Queta and that probably havent even bothered to watch a single gleague minute before to see how he really plays.
one challenge we have is Sabonis is so critical to our team that every minute he is off the floor is crucial. So far we really haven’t found anything that works consistently so there is more pressure on Queta and others to produce.

I wanted us to draft Queta but I do question at this point if he will be ready either this year or next to help us. We don’t have time for a long term project at that position and he did play 3 years of college ball plus now in his second year professionally.

Boogie actually does make sense stylistically for this team. He can still rebound, he can still score, and most importantly..Kings can run some high post stuff through him to keep some level of continuity when Domas is out.

Won’t happen because he’s toast on defense and he’s Boogie so there’s other factors… but the Kings need a big man off the bench that allows them to run similar sets to what they do with Domas on the floor. Boogie is a good passing big man that can still score in bunches and command the attention.

Plumlee is often mentioned and the right guy. He was good relief for Jokic in Denver that they never really properly replaced him. Obviously it isn’t as effective as Jokic or Domas but the continuity is good and he can also protect the rim. Kings should try to get him. He’s expiring and not owed a lot of money…but there will be a lot of competition for Plumlee for those reasons by midsession.

I honestly would not mind Boogie and not just for the sake of bringing Boogie back. I think he can contribute in a positive way to the bench for 10-13 minutes a game. Only offensively but it’s the offense that struggles without Domas

Kings were -12 in 7 minutes Sabonis did not play...In a 9 point win vs Pistons they were -2 in 7 minutes he did not play.Those are 2 of the worst teams in the league.Brown is going to earn his money while trying to figure out how to at least stay competitive while Domas sits
I think you're on to something. Agree

Honestly I had a bad feeling about this one coming in.

Team on a big losing streak hungry for a win with us not really dropping a game to a bad team up to this point, coming home from a big road trip.

Seemed like a trap game to me. I really wanted Charlotte to pull it out against Denver last night in order to get their losing streak monkey off their back.

Status
Not open for further replies.