[Game] Kings vs Blazers - Tuesday, Jan. 1 - 6:00PT/9:00ET - HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

I understand that but sometimes you play and expect help down low. Lillard is no joke and he got a drive from the outside twice without any help. I even saw ball who is a joke do the same exact thing at least 5 times the game before.

At least throw a big at them for a hard foul and make them think before they do it again. I hope this gets fixed soon.

Giles should of been rewarded with more minutes down the stretch, especially considering how awful Willie was all game long. Coach is usually good with rewarding his players but he screwed that one up. That's not to say that's the sole reason they lost, but the floor was better spaced with him in there rather than Willie getting rejected or stripped every time he drives to the rim
He’s actually ONE OF THE WORST at correctly rewarding mins. He had a horrible record with playing vets over young guys in the past and the same crap is still happening here. Sure Zach is out but come on now! Every coach in the league with this roster would have told him to kick rocks this year with this roster.

Coach totally blew it with playing the vets last year and rewarding mins. The vets routinely played worse than the kids at numerous points last year only to be giving the same mins always.

I believe Dave Joerger is full of crap on his earn your mins preaching. Tonight with WCS being so obviously out played by Giles

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
He’s actually ONE OF THE WORST at correctly rewarding mins. He had a horrible record with playing vets over young guys in the past and the same crap is still happening here. Sure Zach is out but come on now! Every coach in the league with this roster would have told him to kick rocks this year with this roster.

Coach totally blew it with playing the vets last year and rewarding mins. The vets routinely played worse than the kids at numerous points last year only to be giving the same mins always.

I believe Dave Joerger is full of crap on his earn your mins preaching. Tonight with WCS being so obviously out played by Giles
Dave has his flaws, but looking back at what he did last season and this season has reaped benefits for the Kings youth and showing that you earn your minutes rather than just it being handed to them and in the process the players start to play out of control and losing basketball. His infatuation with playing Koufos over Giles needs to end however, whether Vlade needs to have a talk with him or what ever the direction may be, the Kings are clearly missing Marvin out there and their 15+ point deficits for the last 4 or 5 games shows just that.

They ended up hitting the lottery though....

I don;t mind Joergers patient approach with Harry, (why he's playing mostly C eludes me tho). Giles game is unbridled and instilling some discipline in him now could pay off in spades down the line.

In the event we really need Harry late this season it's not the worst that he's only played 230 minutes so far... I have a minor conspiracy theory; Could it be possible Harry's on a hushed up minutes restriction? and their easing him into the bulk of it?

Fox is actually better than the best PG’s in this league today when they were in their 2nd years. He’s overall an all-star at least. I think he’s gonna be fine. I’m positive he hates losing and being the reason for it.... unlike WCS. Fox is motivated and learning
Arguable statement, but I think the issue of whether consistency/intensity, which also typified a great part of his last season IMO, may be innate is my worry. Shooting efficiency, technique, awareness of the game etc can improve. If a guy has a tendency to go through peaks/valleys of “intensity”, is that something that reoccurs, regardless of how they technically improve. It’s a question I’d have

They ended up hitting the lottery though....

I don;t mind Joergers patient approach with Harry, (why he's playing mostly C eludes me tho). Giles game is unbridled and instilling some discipline in him now could pay off in spades down the line.

In the event we really need Harry late this season it's not the worst that he's only played 230 minutes so far... I have a minor conspiracy theory; Could it be possible Harry's on a hushed up minutes restriction? and their easing him into the bulk of it?
Giles single handily got us back in the game doing everything you could ask for on both sides. If he can’t see the floor again when WCS was obvious garbage the whole game then I don’t know what it’s gonna take.

Dave waited till about 10-20 games left to finally wave the white towel last year on resting the vets.

Dave has his flaws, but looking back at what he did last season and this season has reaped benefits for the Kings youth and showing that you earn your minutes rather than just it being handed to them and in the process the players start to play out of control and losing basketball. His infatuation with playing Koufos over Giles needs to end however, whether Vlade needs to have a talk with him or what ever the direction may be, the Kings are clearly missing Marvin out there and their 15+ point deficits for the last 4 or 5 games shows just that.
I totally disagree. I think we always had good talent last year and one way or another they were gonna get better this year cause we have a team of guys that our personally on a mission to be great.

I think we just missed out on seeing them as much because of Dave weird infatuation with vets.

How badly do we miss Bagley right now? At a minimum he provides the few points off of putbacks that could have put us over the top in a few of the recent games that we've lost. We also could really use his high motor right now, as tired and clenched up as we have seemed to look at the end of games recently.

Fox completely out of control at the end of the game horrible PG play and WCS was beyond trash smh as soon as he came back into the game replacing Giles that was the end of the game, back to back awful coaching choices by Dave these losses pretty much lose you the a playoff spot.

Dave's treatment of Yogi Ferrall playing time has been disgusting this season, the guy can flat out play and Dave refuses to give him the playing time. I can't believe we had to watch 20+ games of Frank Mason.

When Bagley comes back he needs to start and move Bjelly/Giles to play together off the bench they could be a nice combo not going against any elite post players (other than Harrell can't think of another one) and cut WCS playing time or better yet trade him.

Last edited:
Well he put his mark on the game especially with rebounding and defense. It may have been his best outing yet. The other thing I haven't seen mentioned, is I noticed Giles seems to work well with Bagley. They appeared to be looking for one another I recall in limited time together.
Yes I would agree. Giles passing and Bagley’s ability to catch and finish is lethal.

Fox completely out of control at the end of the game horrible PG play and WCS was beyond trash smh as soon as he came back into the game replacing Giles that was the end of the game, back to back awful coaching choices by Dave these losses pretty much lose you the a playoff spot.

Dave's treatment of Yogi Ferrall playing time has been disgusting this season, the guy can flat out play and Dave refuses to give him the playing time. I can't believe we had to watch 20+ games of Frank Mason.

When Bagley comes back he needs to start and move Bjelly/Giles to play together off the bench they could be a nice combo not going against any elite post players (other than Harrell can't think of another one) and cut WCS playing time or better yet trade him.

I agree with parts of this but WCS and Bagley can’t play together. They operate in the same space.

Play Giles makes much more sense now as teams have taken away the lob from WCS and Giles has that little 10-12ft jumper that WCS doesn't.
You have to be concerned why WCS doesn’t. The regression of his shooting and Dave’s unwillingness for Giles to pick and pop like we saw in Stockton is concerning.

Giles and Bagley both have a outside shot and they will only get better over the years where WCS is very predictable and has absolutely no jump shot.
I want to see him stop with that weak layup that just about every center in the league can block or alter to being aggressive going to the hole and at least drawing contact. You’ve got hops on lobs why the weak shots when anyone is around you?

I know we can nick pick most every player but WCS has so many problems with his game he makes it easy.

We can blame a player nightly for something but it seems around 90% of the folks here agree something needs to be done.
I can see using him like we did with ZBO last year as they both helped win a few but ZBO gave it his all just age caught up with him. What I mean is he is buying time for the rookies to progress as what someone said maybe Giles is on minutes restriction and Bagley is hurt but if both are healthy WCS needs his minutes cut drastically after the all star game game.

What about Joeger? Why Fox take that last shot if Bogdan hAVe good 4 qtr? Why in last 3 min action goes for scared Wilie? Why Buddy and Bogie didnt touch the ball for 3 min? This is Joeger fault.
If Joerger draws up a better play at the end of the 4th the Kings win and everyone here is laughing at the haters, instead the play goes awry and the discussion reverts back to the blame game.

Fox completely out of control at the end of the game horrible PG play
He just missed some shots is all... they hit backrim and his banks were just a little off, the kings as a team had lots of missed chipshots..

he showed improvement tonight. still does not know where to go, but looked less hacky. great energy and effort. sparked the comeback.
Yep but if you believe Giles has a high IQ, I think he figures out where to go quickly. Just hope Kings aren’t playing Giles to trade him. For some reason don’t think he and Dave mesh. Sent Giles to the showcase event (designed to showcase for acquisition/trades) and now DJ plays him prior to the trade deadline??

I think we will regret trading that kid if we do.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Opposing teams are doing the following:

1. Push out against the Kings guard. Make them drive n dish or shoot with a man in their grill.
2. Sag off of WCS or Kosta. Make them shoot the midrange, If the Kings drive, stuff them.

Kings need to bring WCS to the perimeter n screen roll him from there. Pull opposing bigs out. Then attack.
I expect a ton of it going fwd.

That said, soft WCS showed up. But it wasn’t even really soft WCS, it was low IQ willie showing up. Use your head. Mix your speed. We miss Bags.

And for those who don’t appreciate Moe Harkless, dude took Bogs outta the game in the last few mins of the 4th n OT. He’s massive in person. About as big n long as WCS. We need a jumbo defender like him.
In general I agree with your comments, but isn't it tough to have your center do a high pick n roll when the center can't make outside shots? The guard may get picked off, but the defending big is going to be sloughing way off WCS. I think that's why the opposition has gotten a couple of illegal defense calls recently - they'd rather take the chance on the ref missing it and possibly get a point added to the Kings score than go out on the perimeter and guard WCS or Kosta.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I agree with parts of this but WCS and Bagley can’t play together. They operate in the same space.
For now they do operate pretty much in the same space, though Bagley operates much better in the same space. The trick for Vlade & Co. is to determine whether these two can operate together in the future or not. Vlade has got to look into a crystal ball and ask himself how much progress he sees Bagley making on his outside shot over the next year, maybe two. With WCS he can't be very hopeful on his outside shooting because WCS has actually regressed, not progressed in his outside shooting. That's not exactly what you want in your skill development of your young center.

Yep but if you believe Giles has a high IQ, I think he figures out where to go quickly. Just hope Kings aren’t playing Giles to trade him. For some reason don’t think he and Dave mesh. Sent Giles to the showcase event (designed to showcase for acquisition/trades) and now DJ plays him prior to the trade deadline??

Showcase was designed for players not under contract to get 2 way deals and 10 day contracts.

In general I agree with your comments, but isn't it tough to have your center do a high pick n roll when the center can't make outside shots? The guard may get picked off, but the defending big is going to be sloughing way off WCS. I think that's why the opposition has gotten a couple of illegal defense calls recently - they'd rather take the chance on the ref missing it and possibly get a point added to the Kings score than go out on the perimeter and guard WCS or Kosta.
That’s why Giles is the better player in that spot.

I don't think we are looking to trade him right now. His ceiling is too high and I don't think he has a ton of trade value just yet.

For now they do operate pretty much in the same space, though Bagley operates much better in the same space. The trick for Vlade & Co. is to determine whether these two can operate together in the future or not. Vlade has got to look into a crystal ball and ask himself how much progress he sees Bagley making on his outside shot over the next year, maybe two. With WCS he can't be very hopeful on his outside shooting because WCS has actually regressed, not progressed in his outside shooting. That's not exactly what you want in your skill development of your young center.
They don't operate in the same space. WCS is in the high post and Bagley in the low post.

If they run the horns set then of course one on the left and one on the right.

Giles is being used exactly the same as WCS. If you think Giles and Bagley can play together then WCS and Bagley pairing is similar.