Kings @ Spurs Game Thread (Game 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

piksi

Hall of Famer
oh yeah
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
In 2001 Kings finally got the HCA after 2 consecutive first round exits. Suns were the opponents. Kings gave up the HCA by losing the first game at ARCO but took it back by winning game 3 in Phoenix. On May 2nd 2001 game 4 took place. Kings started horribly, were down by 19 and missed 22 straight shot at a stretch in this game. Then, pedja got really hot and Kings turen the game around to win 89-82. After that Scott Pollard went nutts. Pedja lead the Kings with 37/6/2st/1bl, Webber had 15/10/3/1st/2bl, Vlde had 10/8/4. Bobby came of the bench to help with 10/4/5. Scott was solid with 6/13/2bl.

The comeback Kings did it again, and they're headed to the second round of the playoffs for the first time in 20 years. Sacramento, down by 19 early in the second quarter, missed 22 consecutive shots, went more than 12 minutes without a field goal in the first half and still beat the Phoenix Suns 89-82 Wednesday night to win the best-of-five Western Conference series 3-1.

Peja Stojakovic, the only offense Sacramento had much of the night, scored a career playoff-high 37 points, including 14-of-14 free throws. He was just two short of his career high in any NBA game. "It was a great game, a great feeling for me," said Stojakovic, who clearly got the best of his matchup with fellow second-year forward Shawn Marion. "It's great for the team, for the organization, to go to the second round for the first time in 20 years."

Chris Webber, who missed his first 11 shots and was just 7-for-27 from the field, scored 15, including a crucial 10-foot bank shot with 1:38 to play, and grabbed 10 rebounds. "This is by far, in my professional career, the best feeling I've ever had with a team," Webber said. "I'm just happy. I feel like I went 11-for-11."

Jackson, who scored 10, made one of two free throws to put Sacramento ahead 85-80. The Kings had the ball, but Stojakovic's jumper went halfway down the basket and came out. However, Delk threw the ball away at the other end, and Stojakovic sank two free throws to clinch it with 23.4 seconds remaining. Stojakovic made two more free throws just before the finish as the large contingent of Kings fans chanted "Beat L.A."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The first round matchups getting either over or very interesting at this stage.
East:
Pacers vs. Nets - 3 games series but Nets clear favorite. Luckly, this series is mostly on NBATV because it is just bad basketball. Nets in 6 or 7
Bulls vs. Heat. Obviously, happy to be wrong with my prediction. Bulls managed to tie the series causein a heuge blowup in Heat huddle. It was great to watch. Still Heat in 6 or 7 even if Bavetta has to take care of it personally
Pistons vs. Bucks. Can Bucks even the series or will it be Pistons in 5.
Cavs vs Wizards. Another 3 game series. Lebron can't do it alone even traveling. Wizards in 6
West:
Clippers vs Nuggets ends tonight. Nuggets tried to grab the last straw (literarly) bu it slipped out of their hand. Clipps rule. I hope they get to WCF, just in case.
Suns vs. Lakers. Lakers very close to win but I just have to hope for Suns in 7.
Mavs vs. Grizzlies - almost over. Memphis will try to win one game. Mavs playing relly well will end it with a sweep.
Spurs vs. Kings. Spurs should feel great about a 3 games series because they were outplayed 3 consecutive times. Still they are favorite but either Kings in 6 or Spurs in 7.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
So 4 games are over and this series isn't. Not only that but there will be a game 6. Kings had their own "game 1" last night showing that they aren't in the series just to compeate but to win. Spurs looked like an 8th seed that was overmatched everywhere. they are in trouble and they will have to come up with something and quickly. Kings can play better too.
Being Kings fan is usually connected with disappointments and hard time. However, there are night where it is a great pleasure to be part of such a great community. Last night was one of them. Having a team play on such a high level, having a fans being so loud - is not a given and should be enjoyed because this is still kings and we never know how long it will last.
Bonzi Wells will be very expensive this summer and that is a great thing at the moment. He has been the best player in this series. His energy level and his effort is way above anyone elses on both teams. His motto is - You can take my life but You will never take my rebound - or I will rip Your arms out. Just fun to watch. Also great to see fans appreciate it but then again Kings fans have class. He owns the boards on both ends of the floor and he probably owns Pop's dreams these days. Keep it up
Mike & Brad finally showed up together and while it wasn't close to being their best it was enough to blow out the Spurs. They have assumed the role player positions and it will be enough if other guys continue to give us the same production. One great road game is what I am hoping for. On game where they shoot high percentage and where they contribute in other areas except th turnovers. A road win would equal - well You can figure that out for Yourself
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ron continues to be the biggest nightmare that manu has had in his NBA career and he has time to contribute otherwise. He is kinda moving slowwer but it is understandable because he is carrying extra 205 lb in his pocket. Unfortunately, his new aquired property is dropping in value and fast and he is the one responsible for it. Sweet irony.
Corliss got to play and he scored. While I was never a fan of Corliss as a player (just don't lik the style) he is a great presence in that locker room and he earned the moment like the one he got last night. Just the fact that he didn't take it as an insult to play garbage tme - speaks highly of him. He is the best "mateen" that we currently have. Some things just go beyond stats sheets.
While the series is tied at 2 RA is up 3-1 against Pop in my book. After the game 1 debacle he was just marvelous in almost all decisions he made. I haven't yelled at him at any point in the last 3 games and that never happened before. Everyone is saying that PJ is doing a great job in Lakers vs suns series but RA is doing at least as well if not better. Only thing that I don't understand is why this man still doesn't have a contract for the next season ?
ARCO was ARCO yet again. Loud, crazy, insane in a great way. Kings used the energy in the right way. It was great to watch. It has earned game 6 and it will get the game 6 and yet another chance to show the world that there are sports fans in this country too and that there is a fan level beyond beer, hot dog and occasional "defense" and "hey ref you suck." If You don't like that - go watch Knicks.
As for the Spurs - they are in trouble and they know it. Still way too talented and too experienced to panic. We got them thinking and it is a start. Greg Popovic is the best coach at making instant adjustment and he looks helpless at the moment. He has been outcoached by RA and his team is overmatched in certain aspects. He is a great coach and he will come up with a plan but we have equaly great coach who isn't wasting time either. Pop isn't sleeping well and when he does there is a Bonzi Wells in his dream wrecking the Spurs in every way possible. Sweet dreams.
Manu Flopibili is really stuck in Ron's pocket and he can't come out. he is stuck betweem Ron's keys and pack of gum. He is even to scared to attempt an escape not that it would work. Ron owns his body, his soul, his dreams - everything. All manu does is cry on the bench where he is most effective recently. In game 5 You can expect more dirty play, more flopping, more whining and same production.
Tony Parker bounced back as it was expected. We can't guard him and when he hits jumpers we are in trouble. Luckly there was noone else to support him on a level needed to cause us trouble. I don't know what we are supposed to do there but he will continue to cause trouble. Maybe Brad can find him in transition.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Kings killers didn't strike last night. Be afraid, be very afraid. Luckly pop didn't think of NVE. Everyone else was ineffective. Problem is that it might not happen again this series. Other problem is that "You know who" didn't strike yet. Any time they don't produce - we have a good chance to win but we call them Kings killer for a reason.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just want to mention couple more things. The fact that game 5 is on NBATV is pathetic. It is a travesty. If You want to sell Your porduct - You should show Your best horses to the largest audience, but then again it is a small market. One day Knicks will have a mandatory PO spot. Until that - they won't make the post season.
Jalen Rose sucks. I am sorry but I don't understand what he is saying and when I do understand - it doesn't make any sense. It this the best that TNT could come up. He has a PO experience to share - say what ? Maybe it is just me.
No real TDM award winner from the last game. If I had to ick one - it would be Rasho because he was active early when the Spurs were still close. Other than that - we did a good job because when TDM award is without a winner - Kings usually win the game.
LW-VC award went to Manu Flopibili 3/3/2/1TO in 24 minutes is pathetic. Even Jason Hart would froduce more for 24 minutes. This segment is sponsored by Manu's owner - Ron Artest
Game 5 is "pivotal" whatever the hell that means. Spurs will play differently but if we match the energy and continue to play smart - we should be just fine. Expect one of Bavetta/Palmer/Crawford/Salvatore to be there just in case. Maybe even 2 of them. maybe for once BB gods decide that Kings earned sme fortitude.
Mike - playing crazy minutes. Just keep it together and take care of the ball
Brad - it was a start
SAR - remember game 2
Bonzi - do it again
Ron - take the pills and don't get Yourself suspended
Kevin - remember game 2
KT - how about one good game - all we need
Cisco - still no pulse
Hart - maybe not
rest - mateen
RA - You got us this far. finish it.
Spurs will come out strong. They will play dirty and cry to the refs all time. Expect Bonzi in foul trouble because that is the only way that he can be stoped. LW-VC award will go to Manu who will tie Brad at 2. TDM will hopefully go nowhere. I am yet again not going to predict. Kings - go get them.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Great intro, as always, piksi...

The Spurs are going home, but the Kings won't even have to take a separate flight. They are in the defending champions' heads big time. If the Kings can come out strong right from the beginning and not give the San Antonio fans a chance to get anywhere near as worked up as we were last night, the Spurs will be in real trouble.

GO KINGS!!!

BON-ZI!!!!!

piksi said:
Just the fact that he (Corliss) didn't take it as an insult to play garbage tme - speaks highly of him.
He didn't take it as an insult because the chants of WE WANT CORLISS from the crowd were deafening. We could see Adelman actually ask Corliss if he wanted to go in. Corliss looked up at the crowd, and then back at Adelman, nodded and prompty came in and got two points. It was just one more small event in an evening that was practically beyond description.

ARCO THUNDER isn't just two words. Last night it was a living breathing entity - a dragon that consumed the Spurs one by one. And with each little bite, the dragon got stronger...

:D

Last edited:
VF21 said:
ARCO THUNDER isn't just two words. Last night it was a living breathing entity - a dragon that consumed the Spurs one by one. And with each little bite, the dragon got stronger...

:D
Interesting that the original Arco Thunder--namely, the pounding of the floor, not any commercialized "Thunder Sticks"--reemerged last night. I hadn't heard it in a while, and I deem it directly responsible for the Spurs free throw woes.

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
I want to Kings to win this game so bad..... if they lose...

I might slaughter more furry woodland creatures. :)

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
LPKingsFan said:
Interesting that the original Arco Thunder--namely, the pounding of the floor, not any commercialized "Thunder Sticks"--reemerged last night. I hadn't heard it in a while, and I deem it directly responsible for the Spurs free throw woes.
My voice was hoarse most of the night, so I found it easier to "pound the floor". Yes, it was music to our ears. :)

Oh, and piksi, this was one of your better intros. I laughed most of the way through.

Whoever does the tv scheduling for these games needs to be shot:mad: There's a lot of us who will only be able to listen now. It's just not the same.
We have the momentum and confidence right now, let's use it to our advantage. We can do this:D GO KINGS!

I'll still bring my placeholder cheese and psychic vibes, even if I can't see the game, so it's all good.

The Manu in Ron's pocket thing made me crack up though. Just picturing it literally is comedy gold.

Great job Piksi!

I have a work meeting that will last until about 9:30 -:mad: After that, I will be listening. Hopefully, they will show some clips during one of the other games or during the halftime shows. ANYWAY ... I can't wait so see how we respond!

I was listened to some "sport's shows" today. NOBODY still gives us a shot at really winning it. I'm glad. It appears that we handle the underdog thing rather well. I hope that we come with great intensity on Tuesday!!

Just a few short hours till tip off. I think the Spurs are going to come in with huge energy to start off the game because they are back at home and it's a must win for them in that they really need to regain some of the momentum they have lost. I hope the Kings stay cool, and keep with it. If we can take the lead or just keep it even in the 1st the crowd will calm down and we will have a good chance. I can't wait till the game! GO KINGS!

Just got home from teaching and am now off to my other job!! Somedays are harder than others to go! Today is one of those days. I hope to be home by half time. Keep of the chatter! I'll be listening in the second half. It's going to be a GREAT game. I can feel it!!!

I say ;

Kings 87
Spurs 83

Tough game only being decided in the last few seconds when the Kings hit a couple free throws to pull it to 4, and send the Spurs back to Sac with a 2-3 defecit. Can you imagine winning 4 straight against the Spurs? As much as I want this to happen it seems a bit tough.

The kings just need have their mindset ready.. The Spurs are gonna come out swingin and they need to be prepared for it...

Game 4 has come and gone and there should be no more celebrating- Its time to get down to business and take this game. ;)

IVote4Replay said:
Game 4 has come and gone and there should be no more celebrating- Its time to get down to business and take this game. ;)
Artest only celebrates for 10 minutes at the max. :D

At least thats what he said. Hope they are ready. GO KINGS!!!

im really excited about this game. we have hung in this thing tougher than most thought. the boys are playing with confidence and its something to see. im really hoping Reef and Brad have big games. we can use their help. of course i hope Bonzi plays like Bonzi and Ron as well.

GO KINGS!!

The Kings have to come out strong. It's very common for a team that just blew out someone to come out relaxed, and get down early. The Spurs are going to come out swinging, if the Kings can withstand the first quarter, they have a good chance.

Gargamel said:
This is your season. Good luck. Get past the initial surge of energy that SA will come out with in the 1st and 3rd.
I agree. I think those are going to be trickiest parts of this game. Keep them in check when there and we may be able to take this game! I hope so!!!! GO KINGS!!!!!

piksi

Hall of Famer
On the menu tonight;

bolded - I don't want to see in San Antonio

bolded red - can burn in BB hell

Hue Hollins ,Lorenzo Bronson,Ronnie Nunn , Zak Zarba ,Derek Collins,Ely RoeDerrick Stafford ,Mike Henderson,David Guthrie, Jim Clark, Pat Fraher,Jason Phillips, Dan Crawford ,Bill Spooner, Joe Forte, Leon Wood, Scott Foster, Phil Robinson, Tim Donaghy, Courtney Kirkland, David Jones, Rodney Mott, Bernie Fryer,Robby Robinson, VioletPalmer,Mark Ayotte , Eric Lewis, Mark Wunderlich, Joe Derosa, Marc Davis, Michael Smith, Tony Brothers , Dick Bavetta, Jess Kersey, Derek Richardson, Ken Mauer , Kurt Walker, Monty Mccutchen, Ron Mauer, Sean Corbin, Bill Kennedy Luis Grillo, Ron Garretson, Greg Willard, Joe Crawford, Orlandis Poole, Brian Forte, Matt Boland, Zach Zarba, Kevin Fehr, Anthony Jordan, Derrick Collins,Jack Nies, Tom Washington, James Capers, Bob Delaney, Ron Olesiak, Eddie F. Rush, Tony Brown, Leroy Richardson, Gary Zielinski, Steve Javie, Bennett Salvatore, Tommy Nunez, Jeff Smith, Sean Wright, Ted Bernhardt, Bennie Adams, Scott Wall, Ed Malloy, Joe Henderson, Mike Callahan, Anthony Johnson, Gary Cielinski, Gerry Cielinski

Larry89 said:
I want to Kings to win this game so bad..... if they lose...

I might slaughter more furry woodland creatures. :)
HAHA I choked when I read that... I'm going to decapitate my girlfriends stuffed animals if we lose tonight *gives a menacing look* :p

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Apples and oranges.

Larry was talking about time remaining until the start of the TV broadcast, not the start of the game.

;)

I hope Miller will just shoot the ball rather than scaring away from the jumper we all know he has. This man can shoot 3's like a shooting guard so it drives me insane to see him pass up wide open 17 footers and it seems like the games he has his confidence we're unstoppable.. Brad has this game in his hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.