[Game] Kings v. Spurs - Saturday, Feb. 9 - 7PT/10ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to catch some Z's, life is kinda tough right now. However, Buddy hit 9 of 10 3's? I know he's up and down but let's give him credit.
ESPN reported that Buddy is only the 5th player in NBA history to shoot 90% or better from 3 while attempting at least 10 shots.

There's not many players capable of going 9/10 in a game, let alone when several of them aren't completely wide open. That's why only 5 players have done it.

Marcus Smart made headlines for converting 11 threes a couple weeks ago. But also hoisted up 22 shots. While still impressive to shoot 50% with that many attempts, imagine what Buddy might do if he had that many looks during a hot streak like he had tonight.

Last edited:
Hopefully that means we're done with the red unis for the year.
Why hopefully?

IIRC they haven't lost many games wearing those uni's. Not at home anyway. I know they were something like 5-0 at one point, and eventually lost one or two. But they just won back-to-back home games in the red's and have a winning record so even if I didn't care for them, I'd still want them to wear them ----- unlike the awful power blues that have an awful history of utter failure and ineptitude.

But if they were somehow killing it wearing the powder blue's instead of the red's, I wouldn't want them to wear anything else any time soon. Keep the good times rolling!

Having Bogi and Beli starting together with how long they have played here and internationally was probably Walton’s ideal at the beginning of the season. But when Beli moved into the starting role after Bagley went down ended that until recently.

Also believe it’s easier to bring in a new player whose a very good defender as Bazemore is because he can help right away as he gets comfortable and learns the offense.

Also with the injuries Giles has had a chance to play and he’s a good fit in a running team. I have been impressed with him not making stupid unnecessary fouls the last few games. I will just say that I am glad he is doing better on the court and hope the best for him.

Great win. Way to go, Kings! Once again, lots of praise to spread around. Even Luke should get some tempered credit for the turn-around. But last time Luke had to integrate key players back into his roster, things went downhill fast. So when Holmes and Bags come back, I won't have much patience with Luke if we start heading downhill again.
To me, it’s now clear the real problem was inserting Bags back into the starting lineup. Luke has proven, twice now, that when given a free hand to coach his team, he can flat-out coach. If Bags gets reinserted as a starter, I am blaming Vlade. No coach would start Bags over Bjelly right now. Just no chance.

I agree that unless the starters we have playing stop being effective I would not change anything other than installing Holmes back in the starting lineup.

A second team of Bagley, Giles, Buddy, cojo and Bazemore with mixing in maybe Parker or len could actually be a very effective unit into itself.

Inserting Bags or Holmes into the starting lineup would be suicide. Both are ball stoppers. The only difference is Holmes rarely has the offense ran through him while Bags actually has plays drawn up for him.

That said, they’ll take minutes from Giles, Belly, Barnes, n Bazemore. It’s premature to think Parker will get more than 10 minutes a night. He can score, but dude is prone to get scored on just as much.

Push comes to shove, I think Luke runs a shoot fast, give up points fast second unit that is anchored by Buddy, Bags, n Parker. They’ll score in bunches, but will also give up points in bunches. Get ready for 115+ scoring games.

I would give the game ball to Walton. He has cobbled together a small ball team of journeyman. Their experience really helps.
Take a good look at Barnes' game last night.
Fox is impressive to me at this point. The refs do not get his game at all.
Buddy has found his niche off the bench.
Bjelica is showing his skills every night.
Giles had a break out game.
Bazemore has been a great addition. He plays strong with great physicality.
Bogdan kind of disappeared but he will come back.
I watched the fourth quarter in disbelief as the Kings put away the Pop coached Spurs.
I can't remember a Kings team that can shoot this well.

The end of that 3rd quarter was really fun to watch. What a run that was.

Buddy back to being Buddy has been great to see.

Bjelica playing out of his mind again.

Bazemore is terrific when his offense is going.

I don't buy the "Barnes is tired" spin but he played very well last night and that spin move he put on Gay was awesome.

Inserting Bags or Holmes into the starting lineup would be suicide. Both are ball stoppers. The only difference is Holmes rarely has the offense ran through him while Bags actually has plays drawn up for him.

That said, they’ll take minutes from Giles, Belly, Barnes, n Bazemore. It’s premature to think Parker will get more than 10 minutes a night. He can score, but dude is prone to get scored on just as much.

Push comes to shove, I think Luke runs a shoot fast, give up points fast second unit that is anchored by Buddy, Bags, n Parker. They’ll score in bunches, but will also give up points in bunches. Get ready for 115+ scoring games.
Yeah, inserting the hyper-efficient, low USG, defensive rim protector who plays his ass off every night surely would tank our starting 5.

Since when is Holmes a ball stopper? He rarely even touches the ball unless he's just a couple feet away from the rim.

Since when is Holmes a ball stopper? He rarely even touches the ball unless he's just a couple feet away from the rim.
Yeah, inserting the hyper-efficient, low USG, defensive rim protector who plays his ass off every night surely would tank our starting 5.
The Kings are basically playing Bjelly at the 5 where he is mostly on the perimeter. Barnes has been playing the paint when there is actually a player in the paint. If Holmes or Bags plays the 5, to maintain the same ball movement, they'll need to be on the perimeter (which is hardly there strength and a disaster waiting to happen). Or the Kings would need to switch them with Barnes, who is more effective down low. This recent offensive scheme doesn't really fit either Bags or Holmes. If you insert either of them, the scheme's going to need change--once again.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Why hopefully?

IIRC they haven't lost many games wearing those uni's.
Because
1) I think they look awful
2) The team has no history of wearing red (I mean, despite the powder blues being a mistake, the fact is that we DID wear them so there's some excuse for making them a throwback)
3) I don't hold any superstitions about uniform color translating to wins/losses

I don't know or necessarily think it'd be a net negative, but he would definitely affect the offense since he isnt a threat to shoot.
uhh no. He's an excellent rim runner, he almost never takes ISO possessions and he's the best on-ball screener on the team. He draws gravity with his rim-running ability since teams have to respect the lob off the PnR.

Again On/OFF rating not perfect, but bigger same minutes does give a slightly more complete picture:

Richaun Holmes on court: 1087 minutes

Offensive rating: 111.2
Defensive rating: 110.5

Total net rating: 0.7

Richaun Holmes off court: 1441 minutes

Offensive rating: 107.8
Defensive rating: 112.6

Total net rating: -4.8

This in addition to a bunch of impact metrics back up that he's been our best player on both ends of the court this season. Just been a tremendous impact player.

Because
2) The team has no history of wearing red (I mean, despite the powder blues being a mistake, the fact is that we DID wear them so there's some excuse for making them a throwback)
3) I don't hold any superstitions about uniform color translating to wins/losses
Adendum: Red just plain sucks. It's an angry color. Gimmie the purple.

uhh no. He's an excellent rim runner, he almost never takes ISO possessions and he's the best on-ball screener on the team. He draws gravity with his rim-running ability since teams have to respect the lob off the PnR.

Again On/OFF rating not perfect, but bigger same minutes does give a slightly more complete picture:

Richaun Holmes on court: 1087 minutes

Offensive rating: 111.2
Defensive rating: 110.5

Total net rating: 0.7

Richaun Holmes off court: 1441 minutes

Offensive rating: 107.8
Defensive rating: 112.6

Total net rating: -4.8

This in addition to a bunch of impact metrics back up that he's been our best player on both ends of the court this season. Just been a tremendous impact player.
Nice stats, I agree with all that. I just said he would affect the offense because he can't shoot. I'm not sure that it's a bad thing, and your stats show that. Right now, the Kings are starting 5 players that can shoot reasonably well (Fox's 3pt % at home is respectable, but terrible on the road). I think it's fair to say that the offense would run differently with Holmes starting, and I probably didn't use proper wording in my previous post.

Because
C’mon now, Capt. we gotta have something? Why not some ridiculous superstition?? Lol.

Only thing I’ll counter with is that #2 is not necessarily true. Only partially. Red was one of their official team colors. So while they never wore it as a primary back in the day when teams pretty much we’re only allowed to wear white’s at home and one solid color on the road — it is an official color of yesteryear. Red, white and royal blue.

So, unlike the stupid gold uni’s the Magoof’s made them wear, there is substance behind red.

Selfishly, I’m just glad there are some KINGS fans like you and @VF21 that hate the red’s like I do the powder blue and can empathize with my disgust. ;)

I would give the game ball to Walton. He has cobbled together a small ball team of journeyman. Their experience really helps.
Take a good look at Barnes' game last night.
Fox is impressive to me at this point. The refs do not get his game at all.
Buddy has found his niche off the bench.
Bjelica is showing his skills every night.
Giles had a break out game.
Bazemore has been a great addition. He plays strong with great physicality.
Bogdan kind of disappeared but he will come back.
I watched the fourth quarter in disbelief as the Kings put away the Pop coached Spurs.
I can't remember a Kings team that can shoot this well.
I can , it was just last year during quite a few games. This current play, reminds of last years team when it was on target offensively - which was more than this year's team on the whole by a good amount so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.