[Game] Kings v. Pistons - Monday, March 19 - 7 PDT

Start Buddy since Bogs is out?

• Yes, he's earned it.

• No, he's too valuable coming off the bench.

• I'm so confused.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Was anyone else AT the game?

I'm beginning to think that it's like 2 different versions, the one you see on tv with all the distractions, commercials, typing, ect and the one we see where we are actually talking about what is going on on the court during the breaks or lulls.

Game was lost when Joerger started Buddy. He's been great off the bench (mostly playing with Mason). Why mess with success?

For the record, Buddy had five points in the first quarter, but his man (Buillock) had seven.

Joerger realized that Buddy can't guard starters (decent against subs) and started the second half switching Buddy on to Stanley Johnson (Justin on Bullock) despite the size mismatches. So then Johnson got hot (Jackson could not guard Bullock either - too quick). Van Gundy was just fine with that, leaving them guarding their defenders instead of cross matching. Van Gundy outcoached Joerger in this one.

Is Fox the only player with a negative hat trick in the league this year?

However, great game from Willie - looks like they have actually been coaching him to his strengths, mostly pinpoint passing, especially dumping off on way into paint instead of throwing up an awkward shot, as previously and went to the lefty hook twice (both successful). 'Lil Z-Bo also had a good game and Jackson showed improvement. Bogi is the most valuable on this team at this time - Temple had a terrible game in his stead. Buddy gets a C+. Skal and Fox (and for a rare time Koufos) all C-/D+.

The rebounding is next level but there is no way I trade anything of major value for him
No defense at all and can't hit anything outside of a few feet from the basket. I'd rather find other ways to fix our rebounding problem than with guy whose only major skill is rebounding.
Haven't seen play him much, so this is more of speculation (not entirely though. It's based on an article I read quite some time back, but don't recall all the details), that he sees himself as more than just a defensive player, and is unwilling to put in the effort on that end, unless he gets regular touches on offense.

This is a big dilemma for a coach. He is a talented, highly paid player, who is expected to play by the management, fans, team mates, and even the coaches. However, if they have to lose important possessions to cater to his whims, it impacts the whole team poorly. By contrast, I can think of Ben Wallace, another extra ordinary defender, but very poor offensive player. He never thought about that side of the court though, choosing to focus on defense, and defining the identity of that team.

Also, I think he is an excellent defender, but he came to the league at the wrong time. Few years back, if he had to bang with the Duncans and the KGs and the Webbers, his value would have been much higher.

I think it's due to the perception that he got things before he had earned them. He got voted to the all star team in his rookie year, which is certainly very uncommon. Moreover, he won the dunk contest, in what looked like a pre-programmed show. Couple that with the fact that his athleticism and high flying finishes generated lot of attention, while more talented and better performing players (like DMC), didn't get a fraction of the attention. Of course, playing on a winning team, with one of the greatest PGs of all times helped.

None of this is his fault. Anyone in his position would have welcomed and embraced the attention, and the benefits it brings. It's probably going to the other end now. His production might still be solid, but if he continues to play for a losing team with his ginormous contract, (or worse, gets injured), he will be seen as dead weight.
All that is true, but he also is a big baby. I can't stand him because of his attitude. I dislike him so bad that if he were a King, I wouldn't be a Kings fan.
And anyone who feels a need to remind me that he's a 20+10 player, just take a deep breath and give me a break.

I think it's due to the perception that he got things before he had earned them. He got voted to the all star team in his rookie year, which is certainly very uncommon. Moreover, he won the dunk contest, in what looked like a pre-programmed show. Couple that with the fact that his athleticism and high flying finishes generated lot of attention, while more talented and better performing players (like DMC), didn't get a fraction of the attention. Of course, playing on a winning team, with one of the greatest PGs of all times helped.

None of this is his fault. Anyone in his position would have welcomed and embraced the attention, and the benefits it brings. It's probably going to the other end now. His production might still be solid, but if he continues to play for a losing team with his ginormous contract, (or worse, gets injured), he will be seen as dead weight.
Ya and he beat up an equipment manager so... bum

Hield played well again. Continues to show his quick improvement in the pick and roll. Defense was meh most the time but he always puts in the effort on that end. I'd say he played average basketball. Put points on the board but basically gave up the same amount as well.

Fox had one of his more efficient games but just seemed very ineffective. Let Ish Smith do just about whatever he wanted. His floaters were on point. I thought he played losing basketball despite his efficiency due to not running the offense very well at all.

Justin Jackson's floater has been money this year. I'd rather see him try and get to the line but it's a good tool against guys like Gobert and Drummond who can swat the ball away easily. I'd like to see him try and go for his first 20pt game before the season ends.

If JJ spends the summer getting stronger and just shooting a bunch of threes he should round out to a solid rotation guy. Has the other stuff down, moves well without ball, good mid-range game, floater is on point, good basketball IQ, makes the right plays, shows signs of being a pretty good defender. If he can become a 38-40 percent 3 point shooter he already has the tools to attack closeouts.

Hield played well again. Continues to show his quick improvement in the pick and roll. Defense was meh most the time but he always puts in the effort on that end. I'd say he played average basketball. Put points on the board but basically gave up the same amount as well.

Fox had one of his more efficient games but just seemed very ineffective. Let Ish Smith do just about whatever he wanted. His floaters were on point. I thought he played losing basketball despite his efficiency due to not running the offense very well at all.

Justin Jackson's floater has been money this year. I'd rather see him try and get to the line but it's a good tool against guys like Gobert and Drummond who can swat the ball away easily. I'd like to see him try and go for his first 20pt game before the season ends.
At first glance, I totally thought you said

"Fox had one of his more efficient games but just seemed very inefficient"

I almost LOL'd at you, and your comment. Almost.

:oops:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Was anyone else AT the game?

I'm beginning to think that it's like 2 different versions, the one you see on tv with all the distractions, commercials, typing, ect and the one we see where we are actually talking about what is going on on the court during the breaks or lulls.

Game was lost when Joerger started Buddy. He's been great off the bench (mostly playing with Mason). Why mess with success?

For the record, Buddy had five points in the first quarter, but his man (Buillock) had seven.

Joerger realized that Buddy can't guard starters (decent against subs) and started the second half switching Buddy on to Stanley Johnson (Justin on Bullock) despite the size mismatches. So then Johnson got hot (Jackson could not guard Bullock either - too quick). Van Gundy was just fine with that, leaving them guarding their defenders instead of cross matching. Van Gundy outcoached Joerger in this one.

Is Fox the only player with a negative hat trick in the league this year?

However, great game from Willie - looks like they have actually been coaching him to his strengths, mostly pinpoint passing, especially dumping off on way into paint instead of throwing up an awkward shot, as previously and went to the lefty hook twice (both successful). 'Lil Z-Bo also had a good game and Jackson showed improvement. Bogi is the most valuable on this team at this time - Temple had a terrible game in his stead. Buddy gets a C+. Skal and Fox (and for a rare time Koufos) all C-/D+.
The purpose of the game thread is for people who AREN'T at the game to share the feeling as though they were. ;) It was started years ago for those of us who couldn't attend many games. Once the game is over we get more input from the folks (apparently like yourself) who were lucky enough to attend.