[Game] Kings v. Jazz - Wednesday, Nov. 21 - 6 PT

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I know I am biased. So maybe its just me.

It seems like on a nightly bases that the Kings get jammed by the refs. it seems like the youth on this team dont get calls. Infuriating as a fan. Team plays through it well though.
Mitchell getting superstar calls at this point in his career is annoying. More annoying is the fact that Gobert either has no idea how to set a legal screen or he intentionally moves, grabs and shoves so much that the refs have given up. It was unbelievable.

For those a bit out of the loop, lemme try to shed a lil light on that Mitchell - Shumpert twitter exchange.

The key piece of info I expect to go over most heads is that Shumperts wife is Teyana Taylor, a recording artist. Who's got an album called "Keep That Same Energy"...
I still don’t really get it. So Mitchell is throwing shade at Shump by mocking his wife’s song?

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
Bagley looks to be improving, looked more in control and looked to effect the game in other areas than scoring amazing hustle to keep many possessions alive and played some great defense. I think Joerger has figured out that if Bjelica is too slow to guard someone he'll just put in Bagley, to play 3 or 4. It's funny, everyone was appalled at thinking there would be a possibility he could play the 3...
It also seems like Bjelicas offensive production has alot to do with how athletic his matchup is and if he can guard him, the bad games he's had he could not get by his match up and would get in foul trouble early and get some sporadic minutes
We are starting to see glimpses of Bagley, he disrupts passes, disrupts hustle plays for 50/50 balls, he played great defense.
Giles looked OK this game, honestly that putback dunk he had caught me off guard. Showed he still has the hops. Had some nice passes too.
Justin also actually looked decent today, hustled a bit, tried to be in the right spot on offense, moved the ball around and cut. I think the minutes cut and not having him start is taking pressure of him to perform and he can learn from watching a bit.
This also gives Shumpert the starting role and he brings intensity every possession and focus to the team from the beginning.

I still don’t really get it. So Mitchell is throwing shade at Shump by mocking his wife’s song?
No, I think Mitchell meant it to be taken a bit more literally.. Like I hope you're this amped up next time we play, cuz ima getcha back.. One might interpret it as Mitchell doesn't think shumpert can do that again.

The wording just like a way to call out Shump without saying his name, i guess you could say. It's like a rap subliminal.

Buddy commented some funny looking eyes on the exchange. LOL.

Thats why Shump responds with "I didn't sign up for anything but war Bruh, you' know that"

which basically is him saying i'm like this every game, it's nothign for me to keep this same energy, also kinda explains why he's playing lockdown defense with a second on the clock in a 9point game.

the thing thats good about all this is shumpert plays better when he's pissed off and barking...

Edit - Now that I think about it early in this game, i think the 2nd quarter, Shumpert did a pretty take into a pull-up 17-footer on left side of the floor, and afterwards was talking big crap down the floor waiving his head around like stevie wonder while woofing at Mitchell the whole way.. Mitchell wasn't expecting the pullup and kept retreating into the paint, he caught em clean.

Last edited:
The refs have become a significant problem for us. They aren't calling it fairly most of the time but tonight was exceptional. They absolutely swallowed their whistles to our detriment and let Rudy Gobert hold our players at least 10 times and let him get away with such obvious moving screens that a blind man could see it.
If not for the preferential treatment, Gobert should foul out of a lot of games. Near the end of tonight's game when Willie made a layup, he was clearly leveled in the midsection but no whistle. The moving screens and chicken wings are so common now that I wonder if they'll ever call him on it again.

Utterly ridiculous.

BTW, love that Willie Trill has figured out that Gobert has no lateral quickness and continues to move past him as if he's standing still. If only more players would figure that out too. The pump fake is also your friend as Nemanja showed on the game clinching bucket +1.

Last edited:
Koz and Ham on the FB show both just said they'd prefer Williams over Jackson too. I just don't get it. He's the worst defender on this team and misses open 3's
Just wondering when you will ever give your Justin Jackson hate a bit of a rest? Almost every post I see from you is hating on JJ. You won't even stop nagging him when he plays well like he did tonight.

You're not a fan. We get it. No need to remind us in every single game thread. It's tired.

Last edited:
You have to think of the refs the same way you do playing in someone's else's gym. they are part of the floor and there is nothing you can do about them.
In my career we once played a rural school with 5 rows of bleachers and a wall at the end line. We also played in a domed stadium with an upper and lower deck. You have to adjust to the way that refs call contact. Basketabll is a contact sport. Football is a collision sport.

No, I think Mitchell meant it to be taken a bit more literally.. Like I hope you're this amped up next time we play, cuz ima getcha back.. One might interpret it as Mitchell doesn't think shumpert can do that again.

The wording just like a way to call out Shump without saying his name, i guess you could say. It's like a rap subliminal.

Buddy commented some funny looking eyes on the exchange. LOL.

Thats why Shump responds with "I didn't sign up for anything but war Bruh, you' know that"

which basically is him saying i'm like this every game, it's nothign for me to keep this same energy, also kinda explains why he's playing lockdown defense with a second on the clock in a 9point game.

the thing thats good about all this is shumpert plays better when he's pissed off and barking...

Edit - Now that I think about it early in this game, i think the 2nd quarter, Shumpert did a pretty take into a pull-up 17-footer on left side of the floor, and afterwards was talking big crap down the floor waiving his head around like stevie wonder while woofing at Mitchell the whole way.. Mitchell wasn't expecting the pullup and kept retreating into the paint, he caught em clean.
Then you have stuff like this from the first game. Looking forward to Sunday and more saltiness!

"

I haven't seen a winning stat like that of any kind in at least a decade.
We saw plenty of the Kings can't win a game without Cousins but yet are still a lottery team with him for years on here, it's nice to have a stat about actually winning also if Bogie was not injured first game vs Jazz it would basically be 11-1

We saw plenty of the Kings can't win a game without Cousins but yet are still a lottery team with him for years on here, it's nice to have a stat about actually winning also if Bogie was not injured first game vs Jazz it would basically be 11-1
Exactly. With Cousins it would be something like 25-45 with him and like 1-11 without. Not a wining record in any shape or form. 11-2 though? That I like.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
You have to think of the refs the same way you do playing in someone's else's gym. they are part of the floor and there is nothing you can do about them.
In my career we once played a rural school with 5 rows of bleachers and a wall at the end line. We also played in a domed stadium with an upper and lower deck. You have to adjust to the way that refs call contact. Basketabll is a contact sport. Football is a collision sport.
The only call I thought the Kings got when they really shouldn't have was when Shump threw his head back like he got into a car crash (a supposed Jazz elbow) and got the call. Shump needs to give some acting lessons to Fox et al. Next time they play the Jazz the Kings players should be careening off of Gobert's elbows like a billiard ball bank shot. Maybe then they'll finally get a call or two.

Appears we can't even enjoy a win without some people taking shots at Boogie. We were bad with Boogie in spite of him, not because of him. He may not have been perfect but considering how much love he showed Sac and how loyal he was, people should show a bit more respect.

Great win last night, maybe discussion should stay on track.

The only call I thought the Kings got when they really shouldn't have was when Shump threw his head back like he got into a car crash (a supposed Jazz elbow) and got the call. Shump needs to give some acting lessons to Fox et al. Next time they play the Jazz the Kings players should be careening off of Gobert's elbows like a billiard ball bank shot. Maybe then they'll finally get a call or two.
That was the correct call. Mitchell extended his elbow in an unnatural and awkward motion to create space, and it went into Shumps face. He may have exaggerated but it's pretty clear from one of the angles.

Considering all the illegal screens and fouls at the rim that the Jazz got away with, it's a no-contest.

Appears we can't even enjoy a win without some people taking shots at Boogie. We were bad with Boogie in spite of him, not because of him. He may not have been perfect but considering how much love he showed Sac and how loyal he was, people should show a bit more respect.

Great win last night, maybe discussion should stay on track.
No one is taking shots at Boogie. We are merely stating the obvious that it's been a decade since we saw any player have a record liked 11-2 when scoring X amount of points or whatever. It pertains to the game thread just fine, no need to boss us around.

No one is taking shots at Boogie. We are merely stating the obvious that it's been a decade since we saw any player have a record liked 11-2 when scoring X amount of points or whatever. It pertains to the game thread just fine, no need to boss us around.
No bossing here, they're thinly veiled shots. Whether there was a stat like that or not, it's meaningless because it doesn't tell us anything about Cousins. It's just another way to act like it was primarily his fault.

No bossing here, they're thinly veiled shots. Whether there was a stat like that or not, it's meaningless because it doesn't tell us anything about Cousins. It's just another way to act like it was primarily his fault.
The problem you're having is that you're looking at this hoping to start something that simply isn't there. I'm looking at it from the point of view that it's nice to have a statistic like that and all of us are happy that the ship seems to be finally finding it's course.
I was a big Cousins guy myself so I have no hate for the guy, but it's clear (especially now) that both parties needed to move on.

It's been over a decade since I could write about a positive record and positive vibes this late into the season. I'm not going to stop just because people get their panties in a bunch over Cousins name. Move on pal, there really isn't anything to see here. No one is slighting Cousins nor did anyone say he was responsible for all the losing. We all know it went much much deeper than that. That's all I will say on this.

The problem you're having is that you're looking at this hoping to start something that simply isn't there. I'm looking at it from the point of view that it's nice to have a statistic like that and all of us are happy that the ship seems to be finally finding it's course.
I was a big Cousins guy myself so I have no hate for the guy, but it's clear (especially now) that both parties needed to move on.

It's been over a decade since I could write about a positive record and positive vibes this late into the season. I'm not going to stop just because people get their panties in a bunch over Cousins name. Move on pal, there really isn't anything to see here. No one is slighting Cousins nor did anyone say he was responsible for all the losing. We all know it went much much deeper than that. That's all I will say on this.
It's a stupid stat, meaningless stat.

how about the Kings are unbeaten when they score more points than their opponent!

I love the chippiness going on between Kings and other teams lately. Shows a couple of things. The Kings players absolutely think they are just as good as any team they face and are demanding respect. And the other teams aren't winning the battle on the court, so they're yapping and trying to intimidate to get an advantage. Respect

So he’s upset at Shump for stripping the ball and not allowing him to shoot a meaningless three at the buzzer to further pad his stats?

What a crybaby!
If that is why he is mad... I would not want him on my team. I feel like we have a group of guys who are not about their numbers. I don't want somebody to come on this team who is about his numbers. Cements DeAaron as the best guy from the draft class. That's IF Donovan is pissed about not being allowed to launch a garbage time 3.

Not at all. You have a large contingent who get their backs up with any mention of Doncic, when that is far more relevant to our actual team make-up right now (and no I don't want to discuss him, just pointing it out). Yet the same standards are not applied to people essentially blaming Cousins for us being bad. We may have needed to part ways, that's not relevant though. Bjelica's stats also have absolutely nothing to do with Cousins. You're the one trying to involve Cousins when he's not relevant to the current group of players.

Nobody has said you should stop being positive, that's not a relevant point. I'm seeing a trend here.

Anyway, this discussion is off topic.

Back on topic. This Kings group is fun as hell. I too haven't been this excited to be a fan in a long time. Fox looks like a legit star, Bagley is getting better every game, Bogdan is ridiculously good, and a whole bunch of other bright spots. Loving this team.

Last edited: