[Game] Kings v. Blazers Tuesday Feb 27

It's the wrong side of a home-away back to back for us. These games are almost automatic losses. That's where the lack of energy comes from I think. Few things in life are as reliable as the inability of the human body to function at full capacity on diminished sleep. I wouldn't read too much into it.
I hope this team and coaching staff don't have that mind set. Excusing the loss because it's a back to back is a losing mentality.

Last edited:

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I hope this team and coaching staff don't have that mind set. Excusing the loss because it's a back to back is a losing mentality.
I don't excuse it, but I understand it. Also they're a playoff team and we're not so we need to be playing our best to take them down at home. Nobody wins every game... I think you just have to let these ones go. In the context of the overall season this young team is still improving. I didn't mean to imply that the team shouldn't worry about winning these back to backs where they have to fly in the night before. I was just cautioning fans not to be too worried about reading regression into what was likely a fatigue issue more than lack of effort.

Not a good game from Fox, but you see the signs of how he can develop into an elite offensive player. Dude can break down a defense at will, he just doesn't know "how" to be effective at it right now. I remember two plays in the third quarter where he literally pushed the 3 defenders under the rim with his pressure (missed the layups) but it lead to 2 easy put-backs for WCS and ZBO. Once he understands to analyze a defense and situational plays better, it's gonna be game over.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Joerger mentioned over-dribbling in the last game, and this game they were probably even worse. I think it's a case of hero ball. Skal got left out in the cold with only five shot attempts, despite his two prior impressive offensive performances.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Joerger mentioned over-dribbling in the last game, and this game they were probably even worse. I think it's a case of hero ball. Skal got left out in the cold with only five shot attempts, despite his two prior impressive offensive performances.
All they kept doing was one pass and shooting it, so much selfishness by the majority of the players.

All they kept doing was one pass and shooting it, so much selfishness by the majority of the players.
I think its because of all this "be aggressive" narative. what does that even mean? instead of concentrating on team properties such as "we need to execute better on pick and roll" or "we need to run this or that play with better movement/picks/awareness", there is a lot of emphasis on individual properties as in "this or that player needs to be more aggressive".

yeah? more aggressive? as in drive into traffic and fumble the ball? put up shots after one pass? just be aggresive man and the ball will go into the hoop. what you lack is aggression. lets take turns being aggressive. this advice maybe works for Harden, but that's it.

EDIT: ok, that was a rant which oversimplifies the issue, not sure where it actually came from :)

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I think its because of all this "be aggressive" narative. what does that even mean? instead of concentrating on team properties such as "we need to execute better on pick and roll" or "we need to run this or that play with better movement/picks/awareness", there is a lot of emphasis on individual properties as in "this or that player needs to be more aggressive".

yeah? more aggressive? as in drive into traffic and fumble the ball? put up shots after one pass? just be aggresive man and the ball will go into the hoop. what you lack is aggression. lets take turns being aggressive. this advice maybe works for Harden, but that's it.

EDIT: ok, that was a rant which oversimplifies the issue, not sure where it actually came from :)
Did coach Joerger ever emphasize at any time that the players needed to be more "aggressive"? Because if so, then I agree to a certain extent but I feel that applies to players such as Bogs, Fox & Skal who are passive players and the team wanted to see what they can do with more shot attempts, which doesn't necessarily equate to better offense just because they are shot jacking now rather than taking more shots within the flow of the offense.

Did coach Joerger ever emphasize at any time that the players needed to be more "aggressive"? Because if so, then I agree to a certain extent but I feel that applies to players such as Bogs, Fox & Skal who are passive players and the team wanted to see what they can do with more shot attempts, which doesn't necessarily equate to better offense just because they are shot jacking now rather than taking more shots within the flow of the offense.
yeah i cannot remember coach explicitly saying it. i might have listened to a Fox interview, or pundits talking. my rant aside, as ESP47 said, they do not know how to run their offensive sets consistently or how to react once the defense takes away what they are trying to do so they then just throw up a shot, which makes it look like they are playing selfish ball.

I think Skal would've gotten a few more shot attempts, but he made at least 3 incorrect reads on picks. I recall 1 specific play where he went out to the top of the key to set a screen. His man dropped inside to the painted area while Fox drove. For whatever reason, Skal decided to follow his man inside.. There was also another Kings player near the painted area. All of this clogged floor spacing.

It's the little things that Skal needs to get better at.

I don't think most of these guys are selfish. Most of them just don't know how to execute an NBA offensive set consistently. It's like they have one move and when that move doesn't work it's like oh crap, what do I do now?
Sounds like Buddy. Lots of times where he tries to break down his man 1 on 1 trying to step up a drop off pass somewhere, but he can't get past his man because of his meh handles and quickness. He goes "oh crap", dribbles the ball out, swings it to a SG/SF, who immediately passes it back..next thing you know..4s left. Buddy takes a contested mid-range shot. Other times he'll just dribble it out, and try to ISO score instead of resetting the offense.

To be fair, he's not the only one guilty of this. I would say none of the guys except the vets, Bogdan, and WCS know how to execute NBA sets. Willie does have his fair-share of moments where something doesn't work, and he decides to just take it himself. Although, I think you can live with those takes because he does get to the rim effectively.

This Kings team just stinks.

Sounds like Buddy. Lots of times where he tries to break down his man 1 on 1 trying to step up a drop off pass somewhere, but he can't get past his man because of his meh handles and quickness. He goes "oh crap", dribbles the ball out, swings it to a SG/SF, who immediately passes it back..next thing you know..4s left. Buddy takes a contested mid-range shot. Other times he'll just dribble it out, and try to ISO score instead of resetting the offense.

To be fair, he's not the only one guilty of this. I would say none of the guys except the vets, Bogdan, and WCS know how to execute NBA sets. Willie does have his fair-share of moments where something doesn't work, and he decides to just take it himself. Although, I think you can live with those takes because he does get to the rim effectively.

This Kings team just stinks.
Yep and if anyone is going to take a contested shot, you want it to be Buddy (or Bogie). At least he has a chance since his shot is so good.

I see a lot of what you're talking about during games. I call them pickup game passes. It's where a guy has no idea what to do and just passes it to another guy who is completely covered and also doesn't know what to do with it. Usually spacing is bad and they just toss it over like "here you do something with it".

This team is bad but they are improving. The young guys held their own against Minnesota for most the game despite the lack of size, strength, skill and experience. We just need to land the franchise in this draft.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
yeah i cannot remember coach explicitly saying it. i might have listened to a Fox interview, or pundits talking. my rant aside, as ESP47 said, they do not know how to run their offensive sets consistently or how to react once the defense takes away what they are trying to do so they then just throw up a shot, which makes it look like they are playing selfish ball.
I understand the aspect of not having a fall back option when a set isn't there to execute but that still doesn't execute not moving the ball a few more times before taking a shot, you don't need offensive sets to move the ball because that takes willingness as a team and understandably so, the team doesn't do that right now.

This was one of those games on our schedule that was just bound to be brutal from the opening tip. Playing a back to back against two playoff teams is just downright brutal. We looked pretty gassed out there, and a veteran team like Portland did exactly what they were supposed to do, and that was to take care of business from the very beginning.

I enjoy watching games like this one because these are the ones during which you can see it on the faces of our young kids. That desire to want to win these games. And you know that they know the fact that it's going to be a year or two (maybe even three) before they can legitimately go out there and play a back-to-back against two playoff teams, and not only put up a valiant effort in both games while dropping one or even both, but rather go out there and actually come out of the back-to-back with a 2-0 record. And, the great part about this? The young kids know they can do it. And I know they can do it. And I also know that they will do it.

And, when they do, fun times will have arrived.