Kings trade Skal for Caleb Swanigan

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'm hoping to see him play against the Clipps. Against "Uhh oh" Harrell . I'd like to see our slab of beef collide with their slab of beef and see if we can slow him down some. If he could just make Harrell a pretty good player instead of All World when he faces the Kings it would go a long way towards a Kings' victory.

Why not let him play some minutes you just never know how it will turn out. It may just give us a big body to help wear someone down and absorb some fouls if need be.

You guys do realize that fouls give the other team free points right?

The last thing the Kings need is a poor interior defender in there fouling guys and sending them to the line. They need defensive stops and Swanigan is not a defensive stopper and would get mauled by Harrell.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
You guys do realize that fouls give the other team free points right?

The last thing the Kings need is a poor interior defender in there fouling guys and sending them to the line. They need defensive stops and Swanigan is not a defensive stopper and would get mauled by Harrell.
It doesn't give them points if you're not in the penalty. The Kings really need someone like a Swanigan to muck it up for the other team. He doesn't have to be an elite player, just a servicable banger that can take some of the pressure off this finesse Kings' team and be somewhat of an enforcer type and a tough screener. Right now this Kings team is all about kinder and gentler. What we really need is nasty and nastier. For our second round picks this year I'd like to draft Nasty and Nastier.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It doesn't give them points if you're not in the penalty. The Kings really need someone like a Swanigan to muck it up for the other team. He doesn't have to be an elite player, just a servicable banger that can take some of the pressure off this finesse Kings' team and be somewhat of an enforcer type and a tough screener. Right now this Kings team is all about kinder and gentler. What we really need is nasty and nastier. For our second round picks this year I'd like to draft Nasty and Nastier.
I'd love to see some Bill Laimbeer types in the draft, but let's face facts. They wouldn't be able to survive in today's NBA. Even Rodman would foul out within the first 5 minutes of the game. It's the game that's getting too soft, not the players.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'd love to see some Bill Laimbeer types in the draft, but let's face facts. They wouldn't be able to survive in today's NBA. Even Rodman would foul out within the first 5 minutes of the game. It's the game that's getting too soft, not the players.
You can't do it like the old days. But it's not like there isn't any physicallity in today's game. Setting tough screens, rooting guys from under the basket for rebounding, slapping hard at the ball on fouls to prevent 3 point plays. You still see that in the NBA, just moreso on teams other than the Kings.

If they're in the act of shooting then it does and it also gives teams points down the road because it leads to being in the penalty. This isn't 1987 anymore. There are no tough guys making players afraid to get to the rim. Players will welcome getting fouled hard all day long because it means free throws, extra flagrant free throws and possible ejections for the other team. The game isn't played like that anymore. Harrell isn't good because he's tough and fouls hard. He's good because he out works everyone. He looks tough but he doesn't play like Charles Oakley. He plays like a more talented Kenneth Faried.

I've never once watched a game and hoped one of our players used up 6 fouls. That's a losing proposition all day long. There's a reason why players aren't used like that anymore. The rules penalize you for doing it.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
If they're in the act of shooting then it does and it also gives teams points down the road because it leads to being in the penalty. This isn't 1987 anymore. There are no tough guys making players afraid to get to the rim. Players will welcome getting fouled hard all day long because it means free throws, extra flagrant free throws and possible ejections for the other team. The game isn't played like that anymore. Harrell isn't good because he's tough and fouls hard. He's good because he out works everyone. He looks tough but he doesn't play like Charles Oakley. He plays like a more talented Kenneth Faried.

I've never once watched a game and hoped one of our players used up 6 fouls. That's a losing proposition all day long. There's a reason why players aren't used like that anymore. The rules penalize you for doing it.
There is nothing inevitable about getting into the penalty if you foul one or two times. And it's extreme to say it's not '87 so you don't need physical players anymore. The Kings are a perfect example of why you do need physical players, getting beaten four times by an ok/pretty good Clippers' team, not because they are so much more talented, but because they are so much more physical.

There is nothing inevitable about getting into the penalty if you foul one or two times. And it's extreme to say it's not '87 so you don't need physical players anymore. The Kings are a perfect example of why you do need physical players, getting beaten four times by an ok/pretty good Clippers' team, not because they are so much more talented, but because they are so much more physical.
Somehow my gripe with not wanting Swanigan out there using up 6 fouls has morphed into 1 or 2 fouls and me not wanting physical players. That's not what was originally being discussed here.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
You used to be able to hand check, not anymore. You were supposed to check with you body. Now if you impede a moving player with the ball in any way, by bumping him with your body etc., its a foul. They've made it almost impossible to defend. Of course it becomes somewhat subjective as to what will and won't be called, but I think it's very difficult for a player to know what he can or cannot do on nightly basis. Almost every new rule change has been made to make it easier for teams to score.

Lets face it, from a PR point of view, nightly scores of 128 to 121, seem more exciting than 91 to 84.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
You used to be able to hand check, not anymore. You were supposed to check with you body. Now if you impede a moving player with the ball in any way, by bumping him with your body etc., its a foul. They've made it almost impossible to defend. Of course it becomes somewhat subjective as to what will and won't be called, but I think it's very difficult for a player to know what he can or cannot do on nightly basis. Almost every new rule change has been made to make it easier for teams to score.

Lets face it, from a PR point of view, nightly scores of 128 to 121, seem more exciting than 91 to 84.
And it doesn't get you one win against the Clipps. J. Reynolds was recently asked by Napier what he views as the most pressing need of the Kings, personnel-wise, going forward. His answer: "A more physical presence in the post." Then of course he went on to say all the nice, flattering things about WCS that you would expect. (He is oh so dimplomatic). Then he talked about how the Kings have gotten abused by the likes of Harrell, Adams, etc. Christie has also made numerous indirect comments/innuendos during the course of the season implying the lack of physicallity in the post. It's totally obvious that the Kings need more physicallity on their team and I don't think anyone views Swan as the sole answer to that problem. Going forward, I don't think Divac is going to be sacrificing physicallity for PR.

I think the physicality will come from Bagley and Giles. We just have to be patient. Most players aren't physical specimens when they come into the league. Neither will be as big as Adams or Gasol but our guys have the right work ethic and attitude. They just need the time in the gym to develop the strength.

Both Giles and Bagley have the potential to rebound a lot better. Giles has a problem with just watching the ball after it's shot. Instead of positioning himself as the ball is in the air, he stands and watches and then finds himself out of position once the rebound is available. Easily correctable. Bagley just needs some strength and see box out fundamentals. He's usually in position to rebound but he doesn't box out well enough which causes the other team to be able to poke the ball out of his hands because they are too close. Another correctable issue that could take him from a decent rebounder to near the top of the NBA.

We got a chance to see Swanigan against Portland. He is a big lumbering player. He has skills and good hands, but is very flat-footed. Skilled but not athletic. He could lose 30-40 pounds. I would give him a nutrionist over the summer. He plays like a 40 yo in the city rec league.

Skal looked more aggressive than I have ever seen him. The change did him good. It clearly looked like a bad trade for the Kings.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
We got a chance to see Swanigan against Portland. He is a big lumbering player. He has skills and good hands, but is very flat-footed. Skilled but not athletic. He could lose 30-40 pounds. I would give him a nutrionist over the summer. He plays like a 40 yo in the city rec league.

Skal looked more aggressive than I have ever seen him. The change did him good. It clearly looked like a bad trade for the Kings.
Skal has always had the random huge game or two though.

Call me out when he has a sustained month or so of success. I'm rooting for him but...

This is true IF you are trading for help NOW. The problem is that THIS season with Belly and Bagley at the 4 and WCS and Harry at the 5 there was no room in the rotation for Skal and it was very unlikely we would resign him for NEXT season. So asset that he is, would just walk. By trading him for Swanigan the Kings get a low cost project with a potential upside and 2 more years to develop him. So the trade when looked at in the long view might not seem so one sided.

You may be right dude12, but if you have professionals at the end of the bench, their job is to be ready to play. When a guy weighs 290 or 300 pounds he is not acting like a professional. He is not ready to play. The Kings running style does not fit with a big slow, low energy player even if he has skills.

Last edited: