[Game] Kings @ Timberwolves - Monday, Feb. 25 - 5PT/8ET

Brewer was playing awesome defense and was a huge reason why the TWolves couldn't pull away near the end.

Coach should have taken out Bogdan and put in Hield. I know Hield was having a rough game but we've all seen this man come in and knock down shots in quick succession multiple times before and that's exactly what the Kings needed at the end there.
All 3, Bogdan, Buddy and Fox were terrible. It is also true for all of them that they can turn it arround in an instant. I guess DJ opted to leave Buddy out because both Bogie and Fox are better ball handlers and Wolves guards played good defense on the ball.

Bjelica shouldn't get a minute of pt the rest of the season as far as I am concerned. Brewer is a FAR better player than Bjelica and should garner every single minute that Joerger is even thinking of using Bjelica going forward. Bjelica contributed greatly to the Kings falling apart in that second quarter. I counted four lousy plays he made in that quarter.
When Bjelica entered the game the Kings were up by 5. When he left the game Kings were up by 6.
In the next 3 minutes, with Bjelica on the bench, Minnesota goes on a 15-0 run. 15-0! Complete with 4 Kings turnovers in those 3 minutes and 1 technical. How many lousy plays did you count during that time?

Barnes is playing great defense but let’s be honest 0-4 from the field, 2-4 from the line and 4 assists in 36 minutes is not helping this team win.
Yeah i agreed. He doesn't played up to his worth. His defense is great but he needs to knock down shots. But as I said before, he's probably got too tired playing with this pace. Still, no excuses. He needs to play like a star and make teams pay. There is one crucial moment, he was wide open and missed.

When Bjelica entered the game the Kings were up by 5. When he left the game Kings were up by 6.
In the next 3 minutes, with Bjelica on the bench, Minnesota goes on a 15-0 run. 15-0! Complete with 4 Kings turnovers in those 3 minutes and 1 technical. How many lousy plays did you count during that time?
I do like Bjelica offense but his defense is a liability. I would like to see the coach surround him with defensive players if they're going to put him in the lineup. I wish he can play the SF....maybe that helps masked his defensive weakness with the help of Barnes and Bagley inside the paint. I think he get push around too easily inside the paint.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I do like Bjelica offense but his defense is a liability. I would like to see the coach surround him with defensive players if they're going to put him in the lineup. I wish he can play the SF....maybe that helps masked his defensive weakness with the help of Barnes and Bagley inside the paint. I think he get push around too easily inside the paint.
There’s a zero percent chance Bjeli can play any SF.

I've always thought that Bagley has been good off the bench in part due to his tunnel vision. Prior to being moved to the starting lineup Bogi's offense suffered a little as a result of Bagley's high utilisation, but it was giving us results.
There is no reason to start Bagley because there is enough fire power w/ Buddy, Bogi, Barnes and Fox. You want to save some off the bench. That's why the Kings suffer when the 2nd unit come in.

To me it seems the other way around, he is better against slower bigger guys, he cannot guard on the perimeter.

All 3, Bogdan, Buddy and Fox were terrible. It is also true for all of them that they can turn it arround in an instant. I guess DJ opted to leave Buddy out because both Bogie and Fox are better ball handlers and Wolves guards played good defense on the ball.
Kings were playing terrible and yet they still have a couple chances to get back into the game. And when they get their chances, they continue to squandered. It's just a bad loss. I do think the lineup changes screwed thing up. Guys now playing heavy minutes because coach can't find the right lineup that work. Seriously, now is NOT THE TIME to screw up the lineup. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You only change line up if you're on a losing streak or somethin'. So that's why it's puzzling to me. Kings played 3 elite teams and play extremely well until tonight when he changed the lineup. Go figure!

At this point hard to name a Kings player including Fox that doesn’t have strengths and weaknesses. Dave is going to have to mix and match players to cover each other’s weaknesses. That is one reason I like Beli and Barnes together at this moment. Barnes can guard the perimeter and Beli can stretch the floor. Like it or not, Beli is our best shooting big.

Kings were playing terrible and yet they still have a couple chances to get back into the game. And when they get their chances, they continue to squandered. It's just a bad loss. I do think the lineup changes screwed thing up. Guys now playing heavy minutes because coach can't find the right lineup that work. Seriously, now is NOT THE TIME to screw up the lineup. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You only change line up if you're on a losing streak or somethin'. So that's why it's puzzling to me. Kings played 3 elite teams and play extremely well until tonight when he changed the lineup. Go figure!
Kings were playing well against sixers. Not sure why we made the first change.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
At this point hard to name a Kings player including Fox that doesn’t have strengths and weaknesses. Dave is going to have to mix and match players to cover each other’s weaknesses. That is one reason I like Beli and Barnes together at this moment. Barnes can guard the perimeter and Beli can stretch the floor. Like it or not, Beli is our best shooting big.
Everyone has strengths and weaknesses, Bjeli's are just more pronounced and more egregious than our other options at this point.

Pros: Can shoot, is a capable rebounder, generally makes okay passes.
Cons: super slow footed, can't play defense, randomly decides to pass up open three pointers to make ill-fated drives to the rim like he thinks he's D-Wade.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I mean help me out here, you need a stop, put in the defensive prowess, you need a score, put your best scorer in.

Am I missing something?
The Kings didn't have enough timeouts in their pocket and weren't playing the foul game desperately enough for an offensive/defensive sub pattern to work.

There is no reason to start Bagley because there is enough fire power w/ Buddy, Bogi, Barnes and Fox. You want to save some off the bench. That's why the Kings suffer when the 2nd unit come in.
If the Warriors applied this logic, Klay would come off the bench. With the Sixers, Jimmy Butler or Harris come off the bench.

Bagley is our only low post threat and complements Fox and Hield well. The problem with today is WCS got into early foul trouble and came back in with the second unit that he rarely sees the floor with. That Buddy/Ferrell/Bjelica/Burks/WCS lineup was absolutely brutal

The Kings didn't have enough timeouts in their pocket and weren't playing the foul game desperately enough for an offensive/defensive sub pattern to work.
Barnes Free Throws at 3:43 left, 101-106

Jones at the line 2:03 left 104-109

Wolves timeout 1:51 left 104-110

Brewer Free throws :51 105-110

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Barnes Free Throws at 3:43 left, 101-106 <-A moot point since Brewer was already in the game

Jones at the line 2:03 left 104-109 <--Okay, you could put Buddy in here.

Wolves timeout 1:51 left 104-110 <-- maybe here too.

Brewer Free throws :51 105-110 <-- Obviously not subbing Buddy in for Brewer here.

Wolves are a good team now, with a young (mostly) unselfish young players who share the ball and play a good defense. However, we did have opportunity to close the gap and win the game. Terrible play by both Bogdan and Fox stopped the run. Buddy was no better before benched. We were in the game thanks to Bags and Brewer.
Saunders is also looking like a good coach like his Pops

Everyone has strengths and weaknesses, Bjeli's are just more pronounced and more egregious than our other options at this point.

Pros: Can shoot, is a capable rebounder, generally makes okay passes.
Cons: super slow footed, can't play defense, randomly decides to pass up open three pointers to make ill-fated drives to the rim like he thinks he's D-Wade.
I would argue your can’t play defense is overstated as he can play decent post defense but for arguments sake let’s go with it:

In this line-up:
Fox: streaky shooter, at best going to rim
WCS: can’t shoot at all
Barnes: shooting 27% from 3 (23.3 as a King)
Hield: Good 3 point shooter

You better have one other good three point shooter out there to stretch the floor. Your choices are (numbers from Feb)
Bogdan: 20.5%
Bagley: 31.3%
Beli: 39.1%

Find a way to hide Beli’s defense so you can open the floor for Fox and WCS.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I would argue your can’t play defense is overstated as he can play decent post defense but for arguments sake let’s go with it:

In this line-up:
Fox: streaky shooter, at best going to rim
WCS: can’t shoot at all
Barnes: shooting 27% from 3 (23.3 as a King)
Hield: Good 3 point shooter

You better have one other good three point shooter out there to stretch the floor. Your choices are (numbers from Feb)
Bogdan: 20.5%
Bagley: 31.3%
Beli: 39.1%

Find a way to hide Beli’s defense so you can open the floor for Fox and WCS.
Sweet mother of god, are you really trying to argue playing Bjeli over our stud big man prospect who's already starting to put up 20/10 nightly despite only being 19 and Bogi (who, while in a slump, is probably our third most important player)?

Sweet mother of god, are you really trying to argue playing Bjeli over our stud big man prospect who's already starting to put up 20/10 nightly despite only being 19 and Bogi (who, while in a slump, is probably our third most important player)?
No, the minutes played are different then who the minutes are played with. Im saying with that line-up someone has to be able to shoot besides Buddy.

The concern is the Kings got to this point being a good 3 point shooting team.

But is the 6 games since the trade deadline this team is shooting 32.9%. Prior to the trade deadline they shot 38.1%. That difference is huge.

The big concern is that they are starting to shy away from it. The truth is they probably didn't shoot enough prior to the all-star break and now they are shooting around 4 less per game since. Is that just players turning it down or direction to? That is the question.

Watched this one on replay but had to let a good hour and a half go before a post. Outside the the suns collapse, definitely the most frustrated I’ve been with a game this year.

- the effort was there from the beginning, but man that was a lot of uneven sloppy play, with a combination of a lot of bad luck bounces and more butterfingers/balls rolling through guys legs than I can remember in a game. Every potential run was met with a bonehead, momentum killing play.
- WCS with a -20 in 12:45 masterpiece. Worst game I’ve ever seen him play. What happened to the WCS that was aggressively using his speed and length in offense, with the nice spin moves to the basket. That guy is long gone and it’s a mystery. He can’t throw the ball in the ocean, isn’t aggressively attacking the rim. In the 2nd we inexplicably keep running the offense through him in the high post.
- Not a great game for buddy, but he cannot be benched down the stretch. Down 5 with I believe 2 left and we needed a bucket. Buddy can make magic happen. I don’t care what got us there, he needed to be in the game.
- Barnes continues to play solid D with a nice floor game, but the shooting slump needs to end in a hurry.
- Harry with a tough game. He just doesn’t have the size needed against a player like Kat.
- Burks not cutting it at this point. A failure of a move. I’m over the locker room let down from losing Shump, but as of now Shump was giving us much more on both ends of the floor.
- Bogi slump. He’s our guy and we need to keep running with him at this point, but he needs to get back to his overall strong floor game.
- Marvin. Wow. Solid all around. Outside of the full court turnover late in the game (could see that coming a mile away) just a great game. Say what you will about his defensive ability, the man battles and was the only one on the team that could keep Kat in order.

At this point, we move on. I really hate the assertion that game 60 in the season is a “must win” game when we are still only 2 out of the 7th spot. Way too much time to cry about this one. Move forward and battle against the Bucks....then let’s start to string some wins together.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Watched this one on replay but had to let a good hour and a half go before a post. Outside the the suns collapse, definitely the most frustrated I’ve been with a game this year.

- the effort was there from the beginning, but man that was a lot of uneven sloppy play, with a combination of a lot of bad luck bounces and more butterfingers/balls rolling through guys legs than I can remember in a game. Every potential run was met with a bonehead, momentum killing play.
- WCS with a -20 in 12:45 masterpiece. Worst game I’ve ever seen him play. What happened to the WCS that was aggressively using his speed and length in offense, with the nice spin moves to the basket. That guy is long gone and it’s a mystery. He can’t throw the ball in the ocean, isn’t aggressively attacking the rim. In the 2nd we inexplicably keep running the offense through him in the high post.
- Not a great game for buddy, but he cannot be benched down the stretch. Down 5 with I believe 2 left and we needed a bucket. Buddy can make magic happen. I don’t care what got us there, he needed to be in the game.
- Barnes continues to play solid D with a nice floor game, but the shooting slump needs to end in a hurry.
- Harry with a tough game. He just doesn’t have the size needed against a player like Kat.
- Burks not cutting it at this point. A failure of a move. I’m over the locker room let down from losing Shump, but as of now Shump was giving us much more on both ends of the floor.
- Bogi slump. He’s our guy and we need to keep running with him at this point, but he needs to get back to his overall strong floor game.
- Marvin. Wow. Solid all around. Outside of the full court turnover late in the game (could see that coming a mile away) just a great game. Say what you will about his defensive ability, the man battles and was the only one on the team that could keep Kat in order.

At this point, we move on. I really hate the assertion that game 60 in the season is a “must win” game when we are still only 2 out of the 7th spot. Way too much time to cry about this one. Move forward and battle against the Bucks....then let’s start to string some wins together.
For what it's worth, it appears that the only reason Marvin sucked on defense with Duke is because Coach K decided not to have him play any as opposed to him lacking the skill to be a plus player on that end. Tonight he played KAT the best out of all of our bigs, used his athletic ability to alter shots in the paint, and was an all-around pest on that end of the court. Then again, Joerger and Elston Turner are two of the best defensive coaches in the league so it's not really any wonder that they'd be able to turn a self-starting physical specimen like Marvin into a good defender.

Last edited: