[Game] Kings @ Thunder - Saturday, Feb. 23 - 5PT/8ET

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Jesus Chripes, read a few of the pages at the end here. So Barnes is now a negative? Idiotic narrative. He D’ed up PG fairly well at the end. His defense since he’s been here is excellent. The shots will come. Great win against a top team.
For some reason, there has to be a scapegoat for some to blame a loss on - even when the Kings don't lose.

Word. The Barnes hate is hilarious to me. Dude’s playing fine. He’s taking the right shots. They’re just not going in. It’s not like he’s a career 20% shooter. Lol
"Fine" and "potential max deal/extension" are two entirely different things. He's performing "fine" for a wing that we needed. If he was anywhere near the 39% from deep and iso threat in the past, we might have a debate. But so far, I fear the Kings might make a very bad decision with him as a key role in the future plans if he plays out the rest of the season without significant improvement.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Both Barnes and Burks don't feel comfortable in the offense yet. Give it some time and they'll be the booster rocket for this team coming down the stretch.
I know you're right about Barnes. I hope you're right about Burks. I just haven't seen much of anything to be impressed with thus far. I don't know how to make this sound nice, but he doesn't seem like the brightest bulb in the chandelier.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I was shaking my head when Fox, the 21 year old, and Bagley, the 19 year old ran a two man game with about a minute left in the game. Bagley made the 14 foot jumper off the Fox assist. That's just a WOW moment when you have two guys of that age under pressure against an elite team in the stretch doing that kind of thing. These guys are incredibly special players. The vets aren't leading the show anymore. The reins are in the hands of the talented youngins. The Kings are going to live or die with Fox and Bagley down the stretch.

Jesus Chripes, read a few of the pages at the end here. So Barnes is now a negative? Idiotic narrative. He D’ed up PG fairly well at the end. His defense since he’s been here is excellent. The shots will come. Great win against a top team.
Of course, there always has to be a narrative of some sort on a sports message board. I'm not against Barnes by any stretch. And now with Willie not a scapegoat option anymore, someone has to take the fall obviously.

So everyone get your pitchforks sharpened for Burks.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
True, but bricking wide open 3's isn't really a "part of the offense" problem. You knock down open shots or you don't.
It's really not as simple as you think. Players have to have an anticipation of when they will get the ball and where they will get the ball and what exactly they should be doing with it once they get it. Both Burks and Barnes just aren't there yet. It will be pretty obvious when they get into rhythm.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Of course, there always has to be a narrative of some sort on a sports message board. I'm not against Barnes by any stretch. And now with Willie not a scapegoat option anymore, someone has to take the fall obviously.

So everyone get your pitchforks sharpened for Burks.
I think he's inadequate for our current needs. What do you see in him that I'm not seeing?

"Fine" and "potential max deal/extension" are two entirely different things. He's performing "fine" for a wing that we needed. If he was anywhere near the 39% from deep and iso threat in the past, we might have a debate. But so far, I fear the Kings might make a very bad decision with him as a key role in the future plans if he plays out the rest of the season without significant improvement.
Right. I don’t think he’s a detriment, as he can just take up space and not be worse than Shump/Jackson on the court. But I’m annoyed that I got my hopes up that he was a talented wing that could have a renaissance here and contribute to the core going forward. I haven’t seen that, and it’s not just the inefficiency.

And George played 50 minutes last night so we will see what exactly his defense brings in the future

Who said anything about a max. He got a huge contract when the salary cap boomed and he still had star potential. He won’t be getting anywhere near the max next contract.

I think he's inadequate for our current needs. What do you see in him that I'm not seeing?
Nothing, I was just jokingly saying if we're seeking another option for bashing, Burks could be our guy.

He's provided little to nothing since he's arrived. I didn't like the Shump trade to start and my stance on that hasn't changed to this point. I'm not set on any of this though, my mind can be changed.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I’m seeing a guy who hasn’t found out at all how to play and blend in with his new teammates. If he was always *this* player before coming to Sacramento, he wouldn’t have been in the league as long as he has.

(That said, still wish we would have kept Shump)

I'm still pissed about the one drive where Fox gets completely body checked mid-air by Morris with about 4 minutes to go. That play is genuinely dangerous. He clipped him out of the air.... You look at the optics of that play too you can see morris load up a bunch of momentum and just blast into him.,.. should be pretty straight forward.
They gave us a make-up call the next time down. Grant in no way impeded Bagley. Marvin tripped over his own feet. I’m fine as long the refs keep things balanced, which they did in the end. This was an old-fashioned, “keep it close and entertaining” effort from the refs. Stern would have been proud.

I’m seeing a guy who hasn’t found out at all how to play and blend in with his new teammates. If he was always *this* player before coming to Sacramento, he wouldn’t have been in the league as long as he has.

(That said, still wish we would have kept Shump)
Given the locker room presence, I’m still not totally sure the point of the shump trade. Yes, Barnes was coming in to take the SF spot, but Shump was an undersized SF anyhow who could have slid into the Burks/Brewer role regardless.

What really gives you confidence is that he didnit against one of the best defenses in the league. Guy is gonna be really good.

If we had lost that games the entire board would have absolutely lost their minds on Barnes. Now there will be only mild to moderate complaining.
As someone who is probably guilty of that, this made me chuckle.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Right. I don’t think he’s a detriment, as he can just take up space and not be worse than Shump/Jackson on the court. But I’m annoyed that I got my hopes up that he was a talented wing that could have a renaissance here and contribute to the core going forward. I haven’t seen that, and it’s not just the inefficiency.

And George played 50 minutes last night so we will see what exactly his defense brings in the future
Last game Paul george played the second night of a back to back he had 36pts 8 reb 4 ast and 5 steals. Barnes deserves some credit

Given the locker room presence, I’m still not totally sure the point of the shump trade. Yes, Barnes was coming in to take the SF spot, but Shump was an undersized SF anyhow who could have slid into the Burks/Brewer role regardless.
Some very charismatic people can be outstanding team members when things are going their way, and then not so great when the paradigm shifts. Given Shump’s influence, probably not worth the risk that a super charismatic vet looking for his last good contract chaffs under a reduced role.

BTW, bot intended to the quote above but just in general, anyone doubting Barnes’ contributions does not understand basketball, and particularly defense.

Oh I've been nothing but impressed by his defense and increase in rebounding. His versatility on defense makes up for any on-ball advantage Shump may have. I'm just concerned that if he doesn't get back into form with this team offensively that the Kings will still try to give him a big contract. Sometimes good players just don't mesh well, and I think if the Kings are working on a "whole > sum of parts" take with this team, then we need to see if Harrison can fit in over the course of the rest of the season and perhaps playoffs before throwing big money at him.

Oh I've been nothing but impressed by his defense and increase in rebounding. His versatility on defense makes up for any on-ball advantage Shump may have. I'm just concerned that if he doesn't get back into form with this team offensively that the Kings will still try to give him a big contract. Sometimes good players just don't mesh well, and I think if the Kings are working on a "whole > sum of parts" take with this team, then we need to see if Harrison can fit in over the course of the rest of the season and perhaps playoffs before throwing big money at him.
I think in the end he will fit in just fine. Much rather see him getting shots in the flow of the game (albeit missing) than forcing and trying to be top dog. He’s not an alpha and that’s absolutely what we want. If we can get good d and a solid 13 points on efficient shooting he is perfect. Outside of the shooting he’s basically there. The shot will come around.

Barnes is a good defensive player. He is just not a stretch four until he finds his shooting stroke. Let him play D on the many good 3’s we are going to face and play Bagley, Beli or Giles at the 4. You can’t play a guy on a couple month shooting slump at a spot you want shooting.