[Game] Kings @ Suns - Tuesday, Jan. 7 - 6PT/9ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
Betting Fox is going to have a massive headache as the adrenaline wears off...he hit his head hard near the end. Sorry to say, it was good to see Buddy on the bench during most of the final stretch. I like that competitive spirit and confidence that makes this so hard for him, but it hasn't been bad for the team yet. Love that Duane got some redemption tonight, and respected the professional way he handled his interview with Kayte as she gently touched on the elephant in the arena. Finally, props to Coach Walton for sticking with the vets in the end and playing the ones that were going to have the best chance of helping the team win. A tough, gritty team effort!

Keeping the paint clear is key. It's obvious now that the advance stats aren't lying either. The Kings were dead in the water in the 2nd half and the small unit brought them back. Then Dedmon's ability to spread kept the paint clear for Fox. I'm shocked that Walton hasn't fully committed to the 4-5 out style this team needs to play. It's a bit concerning because his adjustments always seem to come at SG/SF when it's the small unit's defensive ability at the SF/PF and the ability to spread the floor offensively that will be this teams identity with Fox at the helm. Dedmon was signed for a reason and tonight we saw what his presence does for your on both ends.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I’m not going to go into it extensively because you can also hear the podcast but their reasoning was Fox’s poor defensive numbers and the Kings poor rankings in the half court. Both are reasonable criticisms but something Fox can change if he wants to.
If that's their criteria, how did they justify Trae or Ja being on the list then?

Betting Fox is going to have a massive headache as the adrenaline wears off...he hit his head hard near the end. Sorry to say, it was good to see Buddy on the bench during most of the final stretch. I like that competitive spirit and confidence that makes this so hard for him, but it hasn't been bad for the team yet. Love that Duane got some redemption tonight, and respected the professional way he handled his interview with Kayte as she gently touched on the elephant in the arena. Finally, props to Coach Walton for sticking with the vets in the end and playing the ones that were going to have the best chance of helping the team win. A tough, gritty team effort!
Joseph hit his shots tonight. Tonight it was the right move. The next night? Probably not. The one positive is they let Joseph spot up. In prior games it's been Fox off the ball which is fail beyond fail.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Keeping the paint clear is key. It's obvious now that the advance stats aren't lying either. The Kings were dead in the water in the 2nd half and the small unit brought them back. Then Dedmon's ability to spread kept the paint clear for Fox. I'm shocked that Walton hasn't fully committed to the 4-5 out style this team needs to play. It's a bit concerning because his adjustments always seem to come at SG/SF when it's the small unit's defensive ability at the SF/PF and the ability to spread the floor offensively that will be this teams identity with Fox at the helm. Dedmon was signed for a reason and tonight we saw what his presence does for your on both ends.
And I think this is where it's going to be imperative for Holmes to start attempting threes at some point in the season. If he does that, even without making shots, it's going to keep the defense from sagging into the paint when he and Fox are on the floor together.

It’s Buddy. I was going to leave it tonight, but....his defense is so bad that you HAVE to have a true big playing with him to try to at least alter shots on the straight line drives. Now, there might be some analytic out there that shows Buddy being effective for 13 total minutes with X,Y, Z and H small ball players, but I’m just saying how a coach thinks.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
That's an interesting point. There's probably a good argument to be made that Luke is a Phil-Jackson type coach. Better known for managing egos than Xs and Os. (Not that he hasn't drawn up a few nice out of bounds plays at the end of games, though.) The thing is, we weren't quite a .500 team last year. Which means that we (unlike the Jordan Bulls and the Kobe/Shaq Lakers) weren't basketball-ready for the ego manager. We still had some Xs and Os to learn.

Now, perhaps we had to strike when the iron was hot - once Walton was fired, if we didn't jump on him somebody else would have - but it seems like it was a season too early at best. The question now is whether Walton can do enough X/O coaching to get the team up to where the ego manager is the role we need. Sometimes we look like we're almost there. Most of the time, we don't.
I think he knows the Xs and the Os just fine. It's some of the players that don't know an X from an O that is the problem. Some will learn. Some won't. Some are going to have to be shed, while others will have to be added for this team to eventually arrive.

With fox, I’m sure the kings would have won too. Put some length on Booker when no one else could stop him and a little more offensive power at the pg position. Maybe I have too much faith on fox but I really feel with him in these last 2 games, the close losses would have been wins.
I posted this after our last close loss to the suns and after seeing the defense fox played on booker, I’m positive Kings would have won. The team goes as Fox goes.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
And I think this is where it's going to be imperative for Holmes to start attempting threes at some point in the season. If he does that, even without making shots, it's going to keep the defense from sagging into the paint when he and Fox are on the floor together.
First, I'd like to see him try it from 18 feet. I know the analyticals won't like it, but it's far enough out so that a defender can't guard him and the driver at the same time.

If that's their criteria, how did they justify Trae or Ja being on the list then?
again don’t want to debate someone else’s opinion but they felt Trae and Ja do a better job setting up teammates in the half court and they are a year younger and are better shooters. Hard to argue they aren’t better shooters.

I think the point is Fox could be great defensively and he could break down defenses at will to create open shots but too often he fails to do so. The Pels game being an example. If he commits to that style of game watch out. But will he? The guy who gets his name in the lights scores 35.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
As an aside, perusing Suns boards, and they seem to think Booker will want out in the not too distant future. Interesting. He kind of got Igor fired by never running the offense though, so there’s that.

Great effort from the Kings all around tonight. Well, there was one exception, but I’ll let it go. I’d kind of like to see Luke go ballistic and get tossed the next time Fox doesn’t get the superstar treatment, and then chalk up the $50K fine and tear the refs up in the press conference after, too, and demand Fox get the calls he deserves.
I'm at that point also. And frankly, I wouldn't mind just once if Fox goes ballistic on the refs. I'm not saying it should be a trend or anything. Just a one-off where when he really gets screwed and the game is not in question he should let them know how he really feels.:D Enough is enough.

again don’t want to debate someone else’s opinion but they felt Trae and Ja do a better job setting up teammates in the half court and they are a year younger and are better shooters. Hard to argue they aren’t better shooters.

I think the point is Fox could be great defensively and he could break down defenses at will to create open shots but too often he fails to do so. The Pels game being an example. If he commits to that style of game watch out. But will he? The guy who gets his name in the lights scores 35.
Trae Young hasn’t been on a good team since high school, but he’s top 10, huh? Anyway, I know it’s super fun to play with guys who pound the rock the whole time, launch 35 footers and play zero defense. Those are the guys I look for when I’m trying to hold down the court for a couple hours. I’m sure anytime now his teammates will realize how much fun they are having.

If he could resurrect his shooting from his early days in Philly then watch out! I think they'll be fine without it though. Him not having that shot however certainly makes it imperative that you spread the floor as best as you can around he and Fox and not shy away from the players the defense is sagging off of elsewhere and get them open spot shots when needed. The Kings are at their best when attacking the middle. Last year was no different. Remember Joerger saying something about how they could run middle pick and roll every time but it won't help them long term? Well, it worked for the Suns when Nash won two MVP's. I agree in totality but right now the measuring stick is stuck halfway in the mud so beggars can be choosers. Get great at what you can be great at first.

It’s Buddy. I was going to leave it tonight, but....his defense is so bad that you HAVE to have a true big playing with him to try to at least alter shots on the straight line drives. Now, there might be some analytic out there that shows Buddy being effective for 13 total minutes with X,Y, Z and H small ball players, but I’m just saying how a coach thinks.
No, it's not Buddy. Buddy is 1/5. of the Kings best lineup according to advanced stats and that's with at least a 25 minute qualifier. Buddy when used correctly is by far going to help you more than hurt you even if he makes a ridiculous looking turnover here and there. Right now Walton thinks defense first and I hate to tell you his attempts to match up on that end first and foremost at the expense of the other end or spacing hasn't worked well lately. Sub in Holmes for Dedmon tonight and it may very well not have worked tonight either because that spacing reflects heavily on how dangerous Fox is in the triple threat.

Ariza for the past month has been maybe the 3rd most impactful player after Fox/Holmes, his defense is incredible you always know he's in the game because of that or his bricks (been shooting well lately), I don't even remember if Barnes played this game. Ariza has to average 30mins (unless we get Harkless) for the rest of the year if the Kings want to win.

Props to Dedmon for playing hard and good to finally see Generational Fox appear against Rubio who has had his number lately.

Giles has to play PF he's way to slender/small for C.

Kings will regret giving massive money to Buddy/Barnes lesser players can replace them and actually bring more meaningful impact to a game.

My first post in the last Suns/Kings gameday thread was actually meant for this game.

Good game. You guys have some players who don’t quit no matter and play for pride while the Suns besides Booker are full of players that play for only the paycheck.

I hope you guys can somehow put together a winning streak because there is some serious potential here. I want to see a Lakers/Kings playoff battle because of the Luke Walton connection.

My comments about tonight’s win:

Nice comeback! Good games from Swipa, Belly and the bench.

Is it me, or do the KINGS always come out flat to start the game or the 2nd half? It’s seemingly always one or the other.

I hope HB is ok! That knee he took looked painful.

Remember when I cautioned those on this board lauding PHX‘s quick start? I said I felt confident they’d fall back to earth. Because many of their players are seriously overrated. Guess what? They’ve fallen back to earth.

Does any player get hammered as much as Swipa w/o foul calls? I mean, he did get to the line a few times tonight, but Rubio and Booker nearly tackled him a couple times late in the game and no call? After giving that pansy Booker a touch foul the play before? Cut the kid some slack, please.

My first post in the last Suns/Kings gameday thread was actually meant for this game.

Good game. You guys have some players who don’t quit no matter and play for pride while the Suns besides Booker are full of players that play for only the paycheck.

I hope you guys can somehow put together a winning streak because there is some serious potential here. I want to see a Lakers/Kings playoff battle because of the Luke Walton connection.
I think your being harsh not including Oubre Jr and Baynes, It's a shame Saric has been a complete flop so far on paper he looked a good fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.