Kings @ Suns - Game 1 Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost 48 hours to tip-off 2016-17! I am pumped, who's with me?!

Starting Line-Up
PG - Lawson
SG - Affalo
SF - Rudy
PF - Boogie
C - Koufos

This was my projected starting line-up a week ago, and I see no reason now to divert from this expectation.

The key to destroying the Suns, a weak team on the rebuild, will be to make their guard trio of budding star Devin Booker, pinball PG Bledsoe and instant spark guy Brandon Knight work for their points, deny open 3s, hedge them towards help, get over the screens, and force TOs.

If two or more of these dudes go for over 25, they can stay with us until crunch time then its anyone's game. Otherwise, we can route these guys by 20 points. We can destroy them inside, get them into foul trouble, score a ton of points in the paint with early O for Boogie, post-ups for Rudy, Affalo, and back door cuts for Omri and Ben.

1st Man off the Bench:
Barnes

Best of the Rest:
Ben
Tolliver
Cauley-Stein
Temple
Omri

One uncertainty is whether we go 10 or 11 deep, whether Joerger goes to one of Tolliver or Omri, or both. I see this as the unknown but besides that I anticipate this rotation is fairly set and look at this game as a great chance for us to get off to a 1-0 start against a bad team.

Blob's Game Keys:
  • Minimize TO's: Don't give the Suns easy baskets. Keep them in the half-court and they will struggle to break 90 points. Execute your O and you are going to get a great shot every time. Rudy in particular needs to resist the urge to break play sets and go one-on-one. EDIT: According to Joerger we were dead last in pre-season turnovers while being #1 in team FG%, which suggests we are going to score a lot of points if we can protect the ball.
  • Defend their guards: Our bigs need to give extra help on Bledsoe and Knight, and not give up open 3s to Booker.
  • Is Ty Legit? I think we know what to expect from our guys, but this is the one uncertainty. Lawson has speed and handles, and looks like a guy who is going to work defensively. He can penetrate and probe and get the ball to the open man. But remains to be seen if he can get to the rim and finish over length and make open shots. We need this guy to be capable for 25-30 MPG before Collision returns or this hole in the line-up is going to prohibit competing at high level.
  • Boogie Time: Cousins is poised to have his best season, within a system to best utilize his talents. The combination of conditioning and high post offense will translate into box score stuffing like we haven't seen before. Yet don't expect a ridiculous usage rate like last season. The Joerger system is designed for sharing and caring, not monopolizing. Look for improved defensive intensity, scoring and passing efficiency as tangible evidence Boogie has arrived as a legitimate superstar.
  • Now or Never Ben: If Ben wants to keep his place in the rotation once Collison comes back, he needs to make more of an impact in his minutes than Temple makes in his. Ben is a more physically imposing presence on the floor with a structured system to make better use of his limited skills. Now or never. Make your 3s at 40% or better, use your athleticism, deflect passes, fill the lane, and prove legitimacy better late than never. I think Ben can do it with a supportive coaching staff, his wealth of experience, and a second unit role to compete against opponents back-ups.
Blob's Fearless Prediction:

Kings 110
Suns 93

Boogie: 30/12/6
Ty Lawson: 12/12
Rudy 22/6
Affalo: 18/4
Barnes: 10/3 steals

Let the season begin!!!

Last edited:
Hopefully Booker does not remind us who we should have drafted.
He can also remind the 6 teams that passed on him after the Kings. Wasn't like he was a slam dunk pick by any means. Barely made it into the lottery.

You know what they say about hindsight.

Or Chriss. My predoction is we will soon view Phoenix as the new GS.
Players we could have and should have drafted.
Unlike Booker, this kid hasn't even played a game yet. Long ways to go before crowing about who they should have drafted.

He can also remind the 6 teams that passed on him after the Kings. Wasn't like he was a slam dunk pick by any means. Barely made it into the lottery.

You know what they say about hindsight.

Unlike Booker, this kid hasn't even played a game yet. Long ways to go before crowing about who they should have drafted.
Its a prediction, but based on preseason play Chriss will be good and the Kings have a history of missing on draft night.

Does anyone know if Directv has the NBA League Pass up and running yet?

I can not find out any info on channels for any upcoming NBA basketball games on Directv!

Oh really? That's could send me into a rage
I called Directv on Friday and they did not have any info yet on the NBA league pass. They said they "hope" to have it by the opening of the season.

It probably does not effect people that live in the Sacramento Area, only us folks outside of Sacramento.

If anybody has an update, please let us all know.

Thanks

If Afflalo keeps up his defensive intensity from the preseason, I have no problem with him starting. I would probably opt for Tolliver starting alongside Cousins. Tolliver has grown on me. He plays his role well and is not a liability on defense (small sample size but he had the 3rd lowest Def Rtg in the preseason). I see him fitting that low usage, 2014-15 "Jason Thompson" role well. What he lacks in rebounding, he'll make up for with 3pt spacing, low turnovers, good defensive rotations, & the ability to catch passes :)p).

Lawson (30 mpg) / Temple (18 mpg)
Afflalo (28 mpg) / Temple (6 mpg) / Barnes (14 mpg)
Gay (32 mpg) / Barnes (12 mpg) / Casspi (4 mpg)
Tolliver (22 mpg) / Cousins (6 mpg) / Casspi (20 mpg)
Cousins (30 mpg) / Koufos (18 mpg)

Cousins - 36 min
Gay - 32 min
Lawson - 30 min
Afflalo - 28 min
Barnes - 26 min
Temple - 24 min
Casspi - 24 min
Tolliver - 22 min
Koufos - 18 min

Seems like a tight rotation with the kiddies not seeing any action (McLemore & Cauley-Stein). Very interested to see what Joerger ends up going with.

EDIT: A few more notes on Tolliver, I'm sure he would be a good calming presence for Cousins when on the floor. After all, Nick Young tried to fight him last year and Tolliver had zero reaction. I can see him getting the big fella out of trouble on more than one occassion.

He also has a 7'3" wingspan and 9'0" standing reach. I think his length will help him against bigger PFs

Lastly, his 3pt shooting hotspots last year came from the right side of the floor which complements Cousins well considering he likes to work from the left.

Last edited:
If Afflalo keeps up his defensive intensity from the preseason, I have no problem with him starting. I would probably opt for Tolliver starting alongside Cousins. Tolliver has grown on me. He plays his role well and is not a liability on defense (small sample size but he had the 3rd lowest Def Rtg in the preseason). I see him fitting that low usage, 2014-15 "Jason Thompson" role well. What he lacks in rebounding, he'll make up for with 3pt spacing, low turnovers, good defensive rotations, & the ability to catch passes :)p).

Lawson (30 mpg) / Temple (18 mpg)
Afflalo (28 mpg) / Temple (6 mpg) / Barnes (14 mpg)
Gay (32 mpg) / Barnes (12 mpg) / Casspi (4 mpg)
Tolliver (22 mpg) / Cousins (6 mpg) / Casspi (20 mpg)
Cousins (30 mpg) / Koufos (18 mpg)

Cousins - 36 min
Gay - 32 min
Lawson - 30 min
Afflalo - 28 min
Barnes - 26 min
Temple - 24 min
Casspi - 24 min
Tolliver - 22 min
Koufos - 18 min

Seems like a tight rotation with the kiddies not seeing any action (McLemore & Cauley-Stein). Very interested to see what Joerger ends up going with.
WCS and Mclemore are going to play.

Can you provide a link?

You first.

Edit: I haven't seen any indication that Joerger doesn't like Ben. I also get the impression Joerger prefers his traditional lineup to be with Two post players. One high and one low. So although we may go small at times, WCS will get his opportunities. I think Casspi is the one who may feel the squeeze. When Collison comes back, Temple's time will diminish.

Last edited:
What? This has been a very awkward exchange to say the least... I'm not sure what the issue is. It was an honest question. You mentioned they are going to play. Not "I think they will play" or "I don't see how there is a way Joerger benches them." You said it like it is a known fact. Considering how you framed your statement, can you provide a link? If you're going to continue to make statements like that, be prepared to get replies like mine.

If you don't have a link, that's fine. Feel free to carry on. But I guess I didn't assume people would be so absolute in who would be getting minutes especially considering we have 12 players who could be getting minutes regularly on our roster. There's going to be a minute crunch and players are going to be squeezed out of the rotation. Expecting everyone to see significant time is an impossibility at this point. That is unless you think everyone is going to be getting 10-15 min a game. But who knows, maybe you think Joerger will go against years and years of coaching strategies and coach this team like it's a youth rec league...

origkds

What- Me Worry?
Does anyone know if Directv has the NBA League Pass up and running yet?

I can not find out any info on channels for any upcoming NBA basketball games on Directv!
My League Pass channels were not showing this morning so I called Directv and the rep said they should be active by tomorrow. I came home from work this evening and they were up.

You first.

Edit: I haven't seen any indication that Joerger doesn't like Ben. I also get the impression Joerger prefers his traditional lineup to be with Two post players. One high and one low. So although we may go small at times, WCS will get his opportunities. I think Casspi is the one who may feel the squeeze. When Collison comes back, Temple's time will diminish.
And Joerger has made the point no team in the NBA plays big with their second unit. Going big with Willie and Koufos on second team would not work due to match-ups defensively and the spacing would be terrible offensively. There is a better chance Koufos and Boogie can work because Boogie's game expands to 20 feet. There are potential match-up issues with KK and Boogie defensively, but two veterans are going to have a better chance of sorting it out, especially with both those guys being in great shape.

Yet Willie is too talented to be taken out of the rotation altogether. For his frustrating play, he's still a Top 5 talent on the team. For now it is better to put him in against lesser players to give him better chance to excel, adjust to more involved role and commands more minutes as the season wears on. I guess it is possible Willie could slip out of the rotation but I don't see it because (1) great lob target (2) capable of defending at rim and away from rim as well as anyone we got (3) Joerger loves guys who defend, (4) slowly adjusting to expanded role, so his play likely to improve.

Last edited:
How I expect minutes to go for this game

PG: Lawson 35 min/ Temple 13 min
SG: Afflalo 30 min/ Ben 18 min
SF: Gay 32 min/ Casspi 16 min
PF: Cousins 12 min/Barnes 24 min/ Tolliver 12 min
C: Koufos 12 min/WCS 12 min/ Cousins 24min

That is eleven players, but that is our strength and we are in a back to back situation. When Joerger wants to cut rotation I can see WCS, Tolliver getting minutes transferred to the other or more minutes for Casspi if he is playing well.

What? This has been a very awkward exchange to say the least... I'm not sure what the issue is. It was an honest question. You mentioned they are going to play. Not "I think they will play" or "I don't see how there is a way Joerger benches them." You said it like it is a known fact. Considering how you framed your statement, can you provide a link? If you're going to continue to make statements like that, be prepared to get replies like mine.

If you don't have a link, that's fine. Feel free to carry on. But I guess I didn't assume people would be so absolute in who would be getting minutes especially considering we have 12 players who could be getting minutes regularly on our roster. There's going to be a minute crunch and players are going to be squeezed out of the rotation. Expecting everyone to see significant time is an impossibility at this point. That is unless you think everyone is going to be getting 10-15 min a game. But who knows, maybe you think Joerger will go against years and years of coaching strategies and coach this team like it's a youth rec league...
Didn't know the statement needed a qualifier. It's all speculation at this point. The "in my opinion" is implied.

And I didn't mind your response. But I do think you missed the point that if my opinion required a link, then so should yours.

Can you provide a link? I haven't seen anything yet.

I'd prefer Cauley-Stein over Koufos, but I don't think the coach has the same mindset.
I think its still up in the air in Joergers mind and a lot of it depends on what WCS shows early. I think ideally you would want Cousins and WCS starting together. He is going with Koufos for now because he knows what he is getting from that position to start essentially every night with Koufos. If Willie doesn't raise his hand for the starting job I can see Joerger going to Tolliver if Koufos/Cuz isn't working. I think Joerger wants to start big but we will see a lot of Barnes, Casspi and Tolliver at the 4, especially when the inevitable feed the big Cuz inside comes into play, something we haven't seen much of in pre season but we know is coming(hell even Karl relied on that throughout last season). When it comes to that you want as much floor spacing as possible.

Didn't know the statement needed a qualifier. It's all speculation at this point. The "in my opinion" is implied.

And I didn't mind your response. But I do think you missed the point that if my opinion required a link, then so should yours.
It doesn't "need" anything, but if you're going to state something like a fact, you better be prepared to back it up on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.