Kings @ Suns - Game 1 Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're arguing a point that really isn't there. The percentage Tolliver shoots from the corner is a very efficient shot in today's basketball. A team would take 1.24 points per field gold attempt all day. There's really no denying that fact.

And to answer your question, Golden State's percentage is a tiny bit lower than Tolliver's "hot spot" so remind me never to take your "guarantees" too seriously :p
Link?

Honestly, with our team, before the first game is about the only time we CAN be blindly optimistic! Then reality rears it's cruel, cruel, ugly head.

On that note....We win by 40 and Big Papa becomes the first Kings rookie since Jason Thompson to record a 20/10 game in his NBA debut!
I forgot all about that.... talk about a let down after that haha

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
The problem is they are saying the same thing about us.
They are, but only out of tradition.

The fact is as I have said before, our roster no longer looks anything like those young chaotic teams, of which we've had a few. We are flat out a solid veteran crew now, with a solid veteran core and coach. Its a new idea, and so predictably its going to take national types a while to get used to it. But there are easy principled lines to be drawn between our roster now and the rosters of the teams you expect to struggle and be sloppy and fall out of things.

Honestly, with our team, before the first game is about the only time we CAN be blindly optimistic! Then reality rears it's cruel, cruel, ugly head.

On that note....We win by 40 and Big Papa becomes the first Kings rookie since Jason Thompson to record a 20/10 game in his NBA debut!
20 turnovers and 10 shotclock violations?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'll be looking at the guards of both teams. If the Kings' guards get killed, it's hard to see a win; they have to come close to matching Phoenix so that Cousins can be a difference maker.

Entity

Hall of Famer
They are, but only out of tradition.

The fact is as I have said before, our roster no longer looks anything like those young chaotic teams, of which we've had a few. We are flat out a solid veteran crew now, with a solid veteran core and coach. Its a new idea, and so predictably its going to take national types a while to get used to it. But there are easy principled lines to be drawn between our roster now and the rosters of the teams you expect to struggle and be sloppy and fall out of things.
i keep seeing you say how we aren't kids anymore, but we really wasn't last year either. we swapped Rondo, Butler, Acy, Bellinelli, and Curry for Lawson, Barnes, Tolliver, Afflalo, and Temple. only one kid swap to a vet was the curry to Temple. The rest were just as much vets as now. I do think Defense is an upgrade at each of those positions except the Acy to Tolliver switch.

origkds

What- Me Worry?
i keep seeing you say how we aren't kids anymore, but we really wasn't last year either. we swapped Rondo, Butler, Acy, Bellinelli, and Curry for Lawson, Barnes, Tolliver, Afflalo, and Temple. only one kid swap to a vet was the curry to Temple. The rest were just as much vets as now. I do think Defense is an upgrade at each of those positions except the Acy to Tolliver switch.
Upgrading our defense without losing any offense is huge. The other upgrade, that is just as big as the player swap, is Joerger. If players like their coach, they will lay it on the line for him. Remember Malone?

The big difference is Afflalo is a legit starting level SG, something we haven't had in 4 years. Bellinelli is a career bencher who was atrocious last year. McLemore has performed like a career bencher up to this point.

Entity

Hall of Famer
oh i get all that. I know the defensive upgrades. in fact i pointed that out at the end of my post. I saying the notion that all we had were kids was wrong. we had vets just not the right ones

origkds

What- Me Worry?
oh i get all that. I know the defensive upgrades. in fact i pointed that out at the end of my post. I saying the notion that all we had were kids was wrong. we had vets just not the right ones
True, I'm really hoping this new crop of vets are a better fit. I think Brick was probably referring back a little further than last year.

Upgrading our defense without losing any offense is huge. The other upgrade, that is just as big as the player swap, is Joerger. If players like their coach, they will lay it on the line for him. Remember Malone?
I'm going to be interested to see how our defense jumps under a competent coach.

I think some (not you) are focusing only on the defensive downside of Cousins/Koufos, if coach continues to go that way, and not the upside that rim protection and rebounding should be nice

That's a bummer... Barnes is one of the guys I wanted to see play most and see the effect he has on the team. He's one of those guys that can score just 2 points but have a huge effect anyway. Let's hope we won't need him
Yeah I agree...this is not a good sign. I think he missed the Clippers game last preseason game too didn't he?

Yeah I agree...this is not a good sign. I think he missed the Clippers game last preseason game too didn't he?
I think he only played in 1 preseason game, maybe 2. He got injured during a game, came back, and then he was hit again in the same rib (in the interview he said he thought he was going to die from the pain --- seems like a funny guy). He was pretty adamant during that same interview that he would be ready for the season opener, but maybe there's more to it than just a bruised rib. Regardless, I would rather it heal properly than have a lingering issue all season long.

I think he only played in 1 preseason game, maybe 2. He got injured during a game, came back, and then he was hit again in the same rib (in the interview he said he thought he was going to die from the pain --- seems like a funny guy). He was pretty adamant during that same interview that he would be ready for the season opener, but maybe there's more to it than just a bruised rib. Regardless, I would rather it heal properly than have a lingering issue all season long.
He's gonna play

Jason Jones ‏@mr_jasonjones 6m6 minutes ago
No injury concerns for the Kings tonight. Matt Barnes is good to go, per Dave Joerger

Status
Not open for further replies.