[Game] Kings @ Spurs - 3/19/17 - 4PT/7ET

Yep. And I give up with the Sixers. Their playing well. Probably a swap, and that pick probably won't be top 7
The Pelicans are a mixed bag. I want them to have about the 8th worst record, hopefully not good enough for a top 3 for them, but bad enough for a top 10 for us. The Sixers are mind boggling, they trade away some of what appeared their best assets at the deadline and I thought good full tank mode. But their winning with guys like Saric, guess hes good.

The Pelicans are a mixed bag. I want them to have about the 8th worst record, hopefully not good enough for a top 3 for them, but bad enough for a top 10 for us. The Sixers are mind boggling, they trade away some of what appeared their best assets at the deadline and I thought good full tank mode. But their winning with guys like Saric, guess hes good.
Brown is a good coach, unfortunately. They play above talent level for him. Covington/Holmes are good.

Skal needs to start every game going forward
I agree with the sentiment. He can be scoring 20 points a game now, letting everyone know he's the truth

Practically I think they want to see what they have with WCS so they know if he's viable, and at this point he needs Koufos because he's a tweener (at this point).

4 rebounds in 32 minutes when you're a non stretch 7 footer will get people turning on you. His anemic rebounding is frustrating.
Willie's passing has been great, and seriously surprising. However, he's really forcing the issue on offense right now. Glad to see him develop an offensive game, but I really don't think WCS on a playoff team would be anything more than an energy big with putbacks and lobs. Really would like to see WCS develop his defense more at this point. Rebounding and shotblocking. Willie doesn't have the best touch around the rim, and a lot of his offense has come from trying to draw contact.

I'd say Willie had a solid game, but his rebounding is not where it needs to be, and his shotblocking is really underwhelming.

Skal and Buddy should be the main offensive hubs for the rest of the season with 15+ shots each, let them get comfortable with defenses keying in on them, Let them try their hand at a little playmaking etc. Willie should be told to forget about points(although I think he sees himself as a scorer first), the minimum should be 10 boards in the 36-37 mins he plays. He can have his ISO once in a while but preferably I'd like to see Skal/Buddy get the bulk of any ISO situations that may come about.

George is still raw but he is going to be a solid NBA player at minimum. I like his potential better than WCS at this point. The kid is so young and still has work to do on his body but from summer league to now his growth and development has been insane, the trajectory is amazing if it continues.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
^^ I've seriously grown to like PapaG's game more than WCS's over the last two games. Papa is big and uses his size to bang around which is something I didn't think he had in him. And he's only 19! The improvements he's made have me giddy! (Yes, I'm aware it was only two games. I'm still excited)

Don't get me wrong, WCS can have his moments. But for every Denver game and the near 5X5 he has a week of duds. Motor and consistency. I'd also like him to focus on rebounding and defense instead of picking up the offensive slack. Play within himself, and he'll get his. Leave the heavy lifting to Skal and Buddy.

In one of the summer league games, one of our random guys (no clue) got fouled hard and hit the deck. Bam Bam took offense to it and gave a protective retaliatory shove to the offender. It was nice that he showed this moxy for a teammate he barely knew. I think he has plenty of fight in him to be an aggresive bruiser down the line. I mean that in a good way of course.

-Slab-

Share the same view about the huge upside PapaGeorge brings. He has the potential (here we go with that word) to eclipse WCS in production and value, but having both is valuable. So very right, two games is not enough to determine the future value of any player, so many factors in play that will need to come to fruition about how good a player can and will be. So let's be cautiously optimistic and allow things to pan out.

I do like how the Kings management is coming together to develop this team. I like Vlade, realize his strengths, but he still needs to validate his ability in both the draft and in trade acquisitions, and in retaining the right core player to surround the promising youth. The coach was a great hire. Pieces are melding together nicely!

Portland has proven, that you need a rim protector that can keep up with the pace, when you play outside-in with guards mainly worrying about offense. Right now it feels like we want to follow that route. Buddy seems like a decent piece in such a system, although I'm not convinced yet, that he can actually run some plays on his own and is more than a catch&shoot guy. But we desperately need a scoring PG with star potential and we need a big able to protect the rim and rebound, while playing off those guards on offense.
In theory this looks like a perfect fit for a player like Willie. I simply don't get why he seems to be focusing more on his offensive moves, than on the much needed defense and rebounding.
It's very early, but I will say this: When Papa is able to consistently rebound and protect the rim and turns out to be decent enough in pick&roll defense, Willie may very well lose his starting spot some time next season.
And when you look at Willie's over the top potential, this would actually be embarrassing. Joerger is spot on, when he talks about how Willie needs to be able to rebound out of his area. And he needs to be able to do it every game. When you are the most athletic 7 footer in the league or maybe in the world, it actually shoudn't be that difficult.

Portland has proven, that you need a rim protector that can keep up with the pace, when you play outside-in with guards mainly worrying about offense. Right now it feels like we want to follow that route. Buddy seems like a decent piece in such a system, although I'm not convinced yet, that he can actually run some plays on his own and is more than a catch&shoot guy. But we desperately need a scoring PG with star potential and we need a big able to protect the rim and rebound, while playing off those guards on offense.
In theory this looks like a perfect fit for a player like Willie. I simply don't get why he seems to be focusing more on his offensive moves, than on the much needed defense and rebounding.
It's very early, but I will say this: When Papa is able to consistently rebound and protect the rim and turns out to be decent enough in pick&roll defense, Willie may very well lose his starting spot some time next season.
And when you look at Willie's over the top potential, this would actually be embarrassing. Joerger is spot on, when he talks about how Willie needs to be able to rebound out of his area. And he needs to be able to do it every game. When you are the most athletic 7 footer in the league or maybe in the world, it actually shoudn't be that difficult.
I agree and I think we will love Papa

In a guard oriented league the role of the big man should be to do the dirty work first, set screens, move the ball, be physical on defense and focus on rebounds, running and blocks. The first priority of the offense should be to get the guards or skal a look through motion. If the defense shuts that down or doubles the guard then Willie can look to score but outside of that I really don't want him trying to score, He should be trying to perfect the Draymond role in a sense, thats where his value is and that is what will get him a max contract. But he wants nothing to do with a Draymond role. Seems like he sees himself more of a Boogie than a Draymond.

Part of the problem is he had the 30+ point game vs Denver right after the Cuz trade which seems like it gave him the idea that he could take over Boogies scoring role and we could move along. He might be under the impression that he is a future offensive hub type player but the truth is he is not reliable enough in that role and we really drafted him to do all of the dirty work(which he is allergic too).

I just don't see him conceding shots to Skal, the better offensive player, unless coach intervenes, what effect would that have on his effort? I don't see him ever wanting to go out there and having 4 points 17 boards 7 assists 5 blocks 2 steals even though he is perfectly capable, seems like he would be more happy with a 18 point 5 board 2 assist type of stat line. That "being a menace" type of game is just not what he wants to do.

Hell, I'd settle for him rebounding .80 of his own area