[Game] Kings @ Rockets - 12/14/16 - 5PT/8ET

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I think it's harder to build around a big like Cousins... <snip>
I already said that. I just don't believe it to be true for the reasons that you appear to believe it to be true. Like I said, in order to maximize an elite big, you need high-level two-way players on the wing and, more importantly, you need a pass-first point guard, who can also hit shots, something that appears to be the rarest animal in the modern NBA.

Okay... that doesn't disprove my thesis. "Lottery-bound" isn't exactly an antonym of mediocre.
They weren't even mediocre. They were top 4 lottery bound.

In 08-09, they went 43-39. The 2nd best player was Beasley/Marion. Take your pick.

Wade On Court
ORTG 110.5
DRTG 107.3

Wade off Court
ORTG 99.4
DRTG 110.5

Anytime you are under 100 ORTG, you are bad. So no, those Miami teams were not anywhere near mediocre without Wade.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member

In 08-09, they went 43-39. The 2nd best player was Beasley/Marion. Take your pick.

Wade On Court
ORTG 110.5
DRTG 107.3

Wade off Court
ORTG 99.4
DRTG 110.5

Anytime you are under 100 ORTG, you are bad. So no, those Miami teams were not anywhere near mediocre without Wade.
That team was 11th in defensive rating, so you can miss me with your offensive rating. Their defense was good enough to be mediocre, and that's what matters most.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Wade On Court
ORTG 110.5
DRTG 107.3
+3.2

Wade off Court
ORTG 99.4
DRTG 110.5

Cousins 16-17 On Court
ORTG 111.6
DRTG 108.0
+3.6

Cousins 16-17 Off Court
ORTG 96.0
DRTG 107.3

that's before tonight, which will bump things further

When this is what it looks like when you don't play, its no wonder.

One of those common points of ignorance for a lot of peeps. Aside from LeBron, most superstars are NOT elevating complete trash to 50 windom. In fact on the title teams, the teams typically win more minutes than they lose without the star even on the floor. So the star's "star bonus" just moves a .500 team to a 50+ win team. Cuz's "star" bonus has always been wasted making 15 win teams into 30 win teams.
So is this team sans Cousins trash or not? Because you seem to flip flop on that whenever it suits your point.

Well, I saw the game and it was not that one sided that many suggest. The major problem naturally was the difference in 3-PT shooting. The Rockets had a great day and everything went in while the Kings struggled from the 3-PT range. The difference there was 33 points. In my opinion,when a good 3-PT shooting team has a good night, you can't win them. What was more of a fundamental problem was Capela's game under the basket. That was a real issue when it counted and the lack of DMC there was clear. Because this lineup is not very familiar to play as a unit against starters, they lost their players often due to bad switching.
All in all, don't make this more than what it really was. Houston had a great night and the reserve starters could not get it going under that pressure.

PS. The Cavs, the most expensive team in the NBA, was nothing against Memphis without their starting trio. Really helpless.

Last edited:
When people are skeptical and looking long term, fans be like "No, we're gonna make the playoffs. Culture change, proven winning vets, defensive coach!". When lose with Cousins out and have horrid defense, fans be like "poor Cousins has to play with scrubs and trash, Westbrook wouldn't do any better!".

K

KingMilz

Can't understand the reason to rest Cousins unless he's actually hurt the Thunder is struggling with Dipo missing and if either him or Westbrook miss any time they could be out of a playoff spot and Portland is 1 game under 500. and we are playing a team who has no one to guard Cousins and he's got all day to rest before going up against Memphis.

This to me is another example of we are not going 100% in to making the playoff nor are we developing any of our young talent the game was over just after half time and we didn't see the kids until the 4th and played Tolliver/AA who will if they keep there current play up never be on another Kings team.

We are now 6 games under 500. and we are resting our star to me it makes no sense I know other teams do it but most those teams are either locks to make the playoffs or locks to miss the playoffs (e.g Brooklyn resting Lopez).

Can't understand the reason to rest Cousins unless he's actually hurt the Thunder is struggling with Dipo missing and if either him or Westbrook miss any time they could be out of a playoff spot and Portland is 1 game under 500. and we are playing a team who has no one to guard Cousins and he's got all day to rest before going up against Memphis.

This to me is another example of we are not going 100% in to making the playoff nor are we developing any of our young talent the game was over just after half time and we didn't see the kids until the 4th and played Tolliver/AA who will if they keep there current play up never be on another Kings team.

We are now 6 games under 500. and we are resting our star to me it makes no sense I know other teams do it but most those teams are either locks to make the playoffs or locks to miss the playoffs (e.g Brooklyn resting Lopez).
Maybe Cuz's feet are starting to bother him again?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
So is this team sans Cousins trash or not? Because you seem to flip flop on that whenever it suits your point.
I hardly flip flop. Not once will you hear me say this team is going anywhere without Cousins.

The key, for anybody who understands the NBA, is roleplayers. You acquire roleplayers to play around a star. And as long as that star is healthy, those roleplayers help you win ballgames by providing support and filling in all the little holes. But remove the star, and those roleplayers collapse into a heap because they simply do not have the skills to play out on their own. Results from Dwayne and his roleplayers and Cuz and his roleplayers (before last night) have been similar. You can be a .500 team that way, with your star lifting up a crew weak on its own. You aren't going to win a title that way.