[Game] Kings @ Rockets - 12/14/16 - 5PT/8ET

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
And let's dispel once and for all with this fiction that DeMarcus Cousins doesn't make this team better.
He at least helps them not be Philadelphia 76ers bad...but without, those two teams would be in a Ram fight. With him, they are in no man's land as Funky mentioned in a post.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
He at least helps them not be Philadelphia 76ers bad...but without, those two teams would be in a Ram fight. With him, they are in no man's land as Funky mentioned in a post.
How many more wins better do people think that Kevin Durant could make this team? Stephen Curry? Russell Westbrook?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
You have been working this angle very hard, but honestly it looks like you are putting make-up on a pig to me.

or

"Look on the bright side, we have almost beaten some bad teams"
Except we have almost beaten good teams too.

Kings fans at this point can't tell pig from progress.

Boogie is a great player. The argument is if he's a top 7-15 player, who is still a very good all star, or if he can get to that upper tier. Now, players like Harden and Westbrook who are in that upper tier have arguably equal supporting casts.

If he isn't in that elite tier it's questionable if he can be moved

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Skal can help too. He's part of the future. Enough of WCS
Cauley-Stein needs to be in the dog house for a little while, either that or get sent to the D-league. However, I am not ready to just let him go...not quite yet. No matter how frustrating he is to watch at the moment. One does wonder about his desire to get better though and work ethic.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Does it matter if he has no Russ Westbrook or Harden or Ibaka beside him? How many games is Davis winning in New Orleans?
Precisely. Some Kings Fans seem to want to hold it against Cousins that he can't squeeze blood from a turnip. Maybe, just once, instead of expecting him to make chicken salad out of chicken ****, we can get him some actual chicken, and see what he does with that?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Boogie is a great player. The argument is if he's a top 7-15 player, who is still a very good all star, or if he can get to that upper tier. Now, players like Harden and Westbrook who are in that upper tier have arguably equal supporting casts.

If he isn't in that elite tier it's questionable if he can be moved
Harden is surrounded with shooters so that's not a fair argument. With OKC though, it's strictly Russ playing GOD mode with nightly triple doubles in order to win games...his teammates aren't anything special either.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Precisely. Some Kings Fans seem to want to hold it against Cousins that he can't squeeze blood from a turnip. Maybe, just once, instead of expecting him to make chicken salad out of chicken ****, we can get him some actual chicken, and see what he does with that?
I agree...however, how many times do we have to gut the roster on a yearly basis to make that chicken salad?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
That would be a very poor argument, indeed.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
As much as anyone hates to admit it, WCS is also part of the future right now.

This team isn't going to "Whiteside" another young big any time soon.
Nor should they...we are way too impatient of a fan base, rightfully so. We are being tortured. That said, we need to leave the young players on this roster and HOPE they turn into something productive.

I think an elite guard can lead a team to more wins that an elite center because they are able to have the ball in their hands more. The team lacks good guards let alone elite guards which is why they are where they are at.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I think an elite guard can lead a team to more wins that an elite center because they are able to have the ball in their hands more.
I think you're wrong, with a caveat: the modern game favors a team that shoots a lot of threes, and guards are generally better at shooting threes than centers. Also, complementary players for a dominant big man appear to be harder to find nowadays.

It may be easier to build a team around the strengths of an elite guard than to do so around the strengths of an elite center, but I utterly dispute the notion that a guard can lead a team to more wins.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I think you're wrong, with a caveat: the modern game favors a team that shoots a lot of threes, and guards are generally better at shooting threes than centers. Also, complementary players for a dominant big man appear to be harder to find nowadays.

It may be easier to build a team around the strengths of an elite guard than to do so around the strengths of an elite center, but I utterly dispute the notion that a guard can lead a team to more wins.
Don't tell that to Minnesota or Philadelphia

And let's dispel once and for all with this fiction that DeMarcus Cousins doesn't make this team better.
Its crazy because not only is it statisically proven through team record without him and him being a top real plus/minus player in the league, if you understand basketball, you understand what the load he carri s on this team. The real culprit for the lack of winning is the whiffing on draft picks since 2011. No real young talent to grow with him. Now, they organization is faced with a major decision. Waste Boogie's prime or trade him for pennies on the dollar and hope for the best with draft picks.

I think it has less to do with elite guards being able to shoot threes and being able to breakdown a defense. The dribble and drive offenses are very successful today. Probably because guards are better at passing and can put the ball where it's needed.

Dwayne Wade couldn't shoot a lick, but consistently led mediocre Miami teams to 40+ wins every year.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Don't tell that to Minnesota or Philadelphia
I mean, we have yet to see how that plays out in either location, though. Minnesota seems to be the closest to the right track: I do think that, if you're going to have a dominant big, you need high-level two-way wings. I don't think that they need to be elite shooters and elite defenders, but they probably need to be above average at one or the other, and at least league-average at the other one.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I think it has less to do with elite guards being able to shoot threes and being able to breakdown a defense. The dribble and drive offenses are very successful today. Probably because guards are better at passing and can put the ball where it's needed.

Dwayne Wade couldn't shoot a lick, but consistently led mediocre Miami teams to 40+ wins every year.
Those Miami teams were probably slightly better than mediocre defensively, they just didn't have anybody besides Wade who could get their own shot. Also, we should be so lucky as to aspire to have a mediocre team to put around Cousins; let's not pretend that they were starting from equal starting points.

Those Miami teams were probably slightly better than mediocre defensively, they just didn't have anybody besides Wade who could get their own shot. Also, we should be so lucky as to aspire to have a mediocre team to put around Cousins; let's not pretend that they were starting from equal starting points.
Those MIA teams might have been better defensively, but they were pretty bad on offense. Their 2nd best player was the ghost of Michael Beasleyfollowed by Udonis Haslem/Mario Chalmers? Kings are mediocre, but the pieces are a bad fit.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Those MIA teams might have been better defensively, but they were pretty bad on offense. Their 2nd best player was the ghost of Michael Beasleyfollowed by Udonis Haslem/Mario Chalmers? Kings are mediocre, but the pieces are a bad fit.
With Cousins, we're mediocre; those Heat teams were mediocre without Wade. Without Cousins, we're looking up at mediocre. In fact, without Cousins, we can't even see mediocre from where we are.

Saying that those Miami teams "might have" been better defensively, but were pretty bad on offense does absolutely nothing to dissuade me from my belief that defense is more important than offense.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I mean, we have yet to see how that plays out in either location, though. Minnesota seems to be the closest to the right track: I do think that, if you're going to have a dominant big, you need high-level two-way wings. I don't think that they need to be elite shooters and elite defenders, but they probably need to be above average at one or the other, and at least league-average at the other one.
Minnesota was expected by many to take that next step up and that is out of lottery land. They have yet to do so and that is why we are seeing trade rumors involving them. They have their main core pieces in tact, it's all about bringing in some veteran help for the youngsters to help them close games and I'm not just talking about any average role player, they have the assets to bring in a productive ball player to help them win now or if they so choose, win later.

With Cousins, we're mediocre; those Heat teams were mediocre without Wade. Without Cousins, we're looking up at mediocre. In fact, without Cousins, we can't even see mediocre from where we are.

Saying that those Miami teams "might have" been better defensively, but were pretty bad on offense does absolutely nothing to dissuade me from my belief that defense is more important than offense.
I don't believe so. Without wade, their best player was Michael Beasley. If Beasley is your best player, you are a lottery bound team.

I think it's harder to build around a big like Cousins. He's amazingly talented, but he's very ball dominant. To put things into perspective, Cuz's lowest usage came in his rookie year at 27%. Tim Duncan's career usage is 27%. On top of his ball dominance, he's mostly been an isolation player who doesn't move well off-ball in an offense. Cuz is athletic, but unlike traditional PFs and Cs, he can't play above the rim at all. He also, strangely, struggles a little bit in PnR, PnP, etc. He's a heavy scorer, but not the most efficient. In a Cousins-type offense, you really need to run the offense through him to get the most out of Cuz has evolved his game throughout the years to fit into modern NBA, but the above still remains true.

I don't think it's necessarily hard to build around a center, but I think it's harder to build around Cousins. He's such a unique player, and it does hurt him sometimes.

Cuz has the usage of a PG, but he's a C. Problems usually come up when that happens.