KINGS PICKING 4TH IN 2022 NBA DRAFT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Fox put up better numbers as a Freshman with a tougher schedule (and was a year younger coming out), Ivey did significantly up his 3pt % his sophomore year (they both shot in the mid 20s as frosh).

I think Fox if we're being honest.
It is amazing how many people forgot how absolutely ridiculous Fox was in college. If Ivey had a game int he tourney like Fox had against UCLA,, he’d be going 1st overall in this draft class.

gunks

Hall of Famer
yeah, if I had to make a wild guess recon we’re moving up and selecting Chet.
He has come out and said how the Gonzaga connection with Sabonis is a good fit and I can’t argue that.
It might explain the the lack of workouts and Monte is proving to have a tight lip while swinging for the fence.
Or Smith Jr?

This Ivey hype has been a real boon for us. 4th pick is worth a lot more today than lotto day. If we can move up to #2 (I've seen a lot of how OKC likes Ivey) without giving much away, I think Monte pulls the trigger.

Chet sketches me out, but with his skill set, I won't be mad if Monte drafts him, assuming we didn't give up too much for the opportunity.

Personally, I can hype myself on so many different scenarios haha. I think taking Murray at 4 (without making other moves) is the only thing that would irk me.

Or Smith Jr?

This Ivey hype has been a real boon for us. 4th pick is worth a lot more today than lotto day. If we can move up to #2 (I've seen a lot of how OKC likes Ivey) without giving much away, I think Monte pulls the trigger.

Chet sketches me out, but with his skill set, I won't be mad if Monte drafts him, assuming we didn't give up too much for the opportunity.

Personally, I can hype myself on so many different scenarios haha. I think taking Murray at 4 (without making other moves) is the only thing that would irk me.
Yeah Chet is sketchy in a lot of ways but the fit is too good. The high-low with he and Sabonis would be insane. The pick and pop with Fox with Chet's ability to attack and pass could be unstoppable.

I don't think even taking Murray at 4 would irk me, it would be disappointing because you just gave Detroit everything they wanted and more. You can't let them also get to extract some value out of Grant at the deadline too. They win. As long as the Kings come out of draft night with one of Ivey/Murray/Mathurin/Griffin I think it's still a win for either fit or potential reasons.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
yeah, if I had to make a wild guess recon we’re moving up and selecting Chet.
He has come out and said how the Gonzaga connection with Sabonis is a good fit and I can’t argue that.
It might explain the the lack of workouts and Monte is proving to have a tight lip while swinging for the fence.
That's possible, but it's not like the past few drafts Monte has worked out a bunch of top prospects in our draft range. Davion didn't work out for us, and I don't recall but I doubt Haliburton did either. If I understand correctly, one of Daryl Morey's things is to not really bother with the workout if you have scouted a player extensively. What can a one-hour man-vs-chair workout show you that you couldn't have learned in 30 (or 60!) games of college competition? Probably nothing, and if you put too much stock into it, you may fool yourself into unlearning the most important things that you know about a player. So if Monte is coming from the same position as his mentor, the lack of workouts doesn't mean guys don't want to come to Sacramento, but it more likely means we've got them scouted plenty already. Which would also explain why we have brought in so many second round/likely undrafted prospects - there's only so much time, and you haven't scouted these guys hard, so workouts can help.

Now, this approach also has the added benefit of making it a lot harder to guess what a team is thinking, but I doubt that's the primary reason for it.

Yeah. I'm much more concerned with the Kings commitment to maximizing the draftees potential than I am about who they pick.

If the team doesn't put a player in a position to succeed, any draft pick will look bad. This is why agents don't want their clients drafted by this organization.
That said who picking top 5 is setting anyone up to succeed? A bunch of lame duck coaches and at least 2 if not 3 of the teams are actively tanking this year and may draft right over their pick this year if given the opportunity.

Most players being drafted have the talent. I would say may 10% of busts were just totally a reach, the other 90% is some mix of incompetent coaching/organization/scheming; injury; and then a mix of things including the two before that lead to a Bagley situation where a player just says F it and quits on the team that drafted him.

That said who picking top 5 is setting anyone up to succeed? A bunch of lame duck coaches and at least 2 if not 3 of the teams are actively tanking this year and may draft right over their pick this year if given the opportunity.

Most players being drafted have the talent. I would say may 10% of busts were just totally a reach, the other 90% is some mix of incompetent coaching/organization/scheming; injury; and then a mix of things including the two before that lead to a Bagley situation where a player just says F it and quits on the team that drafted him.
I'm repeating myself with this, but a young player coming into a stripped down team and allowed to just ball and learn is a better approach than drafting a player and expecting him to outplay a veteran who's learned how to play smart to stay in the league.

Those tanking teams are more attractive to 18 and 19 year old kids coming into the league. Slapping the hand and telling a young player no or you'll be on the bench will take any "dog" he had in him away.

Luka, Trae, JJJ, Ja....none of them were told no. Even Ayton was given space to just play ball and learn with no vet in front of him. Of the top prospects from 2018 basically only Bagley and Bamba had their hands slapped and had to play behind vets. It absolutely stunted their growth. Orlando and Sac were trying to make the playoffs and it cost both players significantly.

I'm repeating myself with this, but a young player coming into a stripped down team and allowed to just ball and learn is a better approach than drafting a player and expecting him to outplay a veteran who's learned how to play smart to stay in the league.

Those tanking teams are more attractive to 18 and 19 year old kids coming into the league. Slapping the hand and telling a young player no or you'll be on the bench will take any "dog" he had in him away.

Luka, Trae, JJJ, Ja....none of them were told no. Even Ayton was given space to just play ball and learn with no vet in front of him. Of the top prospects from 2018 basically only Bagley and Bamba had their hands slapped and had to play behind vets. It absolutely stunted their growth. Orlando and Sac were trying to make the playoffs and it cost both players significantly.
Bagley got the coach fired and then got injured and couldn't/wouldn't return. He had one year of Joerger, and was getting quality minutes despite BW being desperate to show off his pick that he went to war with the coach in the media.

I guess my concern with the other teams around us is they'll largely be playing playground ball, they don't need to learn a scheme because the coaches aren't likely to be there when the teams are ready to contend.

Brown seems to have quite an accountability system put together where he actually gamifies defensive effort in the locker room. I guess we'll see how it works with the Kings instead of the Warriors.

Bagley got the coach fired and then got injured and couldn't/wouldn't return. He had one year of Joerger, and was getting quality minutes despite BW being desperate to show off his pick that he went to war with the coach in the media.

I guess my concern with the other teams around us is they'll largely be playing playground ball, they don't need to learn a scheme because the coaches aren't likely to be there when the teams are ready to contend.

Brown seems to have quite an accountability system put together where he actually gamifies defensive effort in the locker room. I guess we'll see how it works with the Kings instead of the Warriors.
I vehemently disagree with the assessment in the bolded part.

I understand what you're saying in the other paragraphs.

I vehemently disagree with the assessment in the bolded part.

I understand what you're saying in the other paragraphs.
It's slightly more complicated, but which part specifically are you disagreeing with? that he got quality minutes? It seemed like he was playing over 20 per game, but he demanded to start or close when he wasn't effective and that started the FO/Coaching public feud.

Do you think Kuminga and Moody are worse off for being on the Warriors? What about all the late firsts and second rounders Pop has turned into a star?

The problem is losing organizations suck and repeat the patterns that make them losers not that earning your role is bad.

It's slightly more complicated, but which part specifically are you disagreeing with? that he got quality minutes? It seemed like he was playing over 20 per game, but he demanded to start or close when he wasn't effective and that started the FO/Coaching public feud.

Do you think Kuminga and Moody are worse off for being on the Warriors? What about all the late firsts and second rounders Pop has turned into a star?

The problem is losing organizations suck and repeat the patterns that make them losers not that earning your role is bad.
I won't derail the thread. DM me if you want to continue the discussion.

*I will say this though. Being drafted by a championship contending team is not what the discussion was about. We're talking high lottery picks going to bad teams.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

lol why wouldn’t the Kings just trade the pick for SGA without involving the Knicks in this scenario?
Because the Knicks are giving up such HUGE value for Shai! They're giving #11 AND Fournier! I mean, my goodness, I haven't had such a bargain since the street hustler in New Orleans bet me $1 he could tell me where I got my shoes.

Would Collins be a good fit here? I really don’t see how he solves our problems but his name keeps coming up and we saw that materialize with this FO before in Sabonis and DDV. Trusting Amick and this FO’s limited history I’m almost thinking Collins coming here is one of the more likely outcomes of any speculative offseason transaction or pick
I think he'd be very interesting.

Maybe it's as simple as Barnes+Expirings+a 2nd or 2 to match salary for Collins. They save money long-term, but still get a plug and play starter to stay competitive for next year. That would get them well within range to keep Hunter long-term and Okongwu the following season.

Kings basically just maximize their cap space and don't have to overpay a 31 year old Barnes to stay in UFA next season

Status
Not open for further replies.