KINGS PICKING 4TH IN 2022 NBA DRAFT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually could see Sam Presti sniping Jaden Ivey as there's a case to be made that he has the most star potential of anyone in this draft and identifying future stars is what Presti has built his career on. But even if that happens, the choice is probably going to be Murry vs. Banchero or Murray vs. Holmgren. There's pos and cons with all three of them but ultimately it's not our choice anyway so why worry about it? :)
Agreed. I think someone will take Ivey (or possibly Murray) top 3 and we will be left to pick the between the sliding "Big Big 3" or take Murray or Sharpe.

I actually hope Monte sits tight at #4 and takes whoever he thinks is BPA at 4. No need to give up assets to move up to the top 2 when I think there is a better than good chance whoever we get at #4 will be just as good, if not better than any of the top 3 picks.

Agreed. I think someone will take Ivey (or possibly Murray) top 3 and we will be left to pick the between the sliding "Big Big 3" or take Murray or Sharpe.

I actually hope Monte sits tight at #4 and takes whoever he thinks is BPA at 4. No need to give up assets to move up to the top 2 when I think there is a better than good chance whoever we get at #4 will be just as good, if not better than any of the top 3 picks.
Depends if you think Monte is a good judge of talent. If you do think he is good, you want him to move to 2 and pick the all-star versus waiting and taking who falls.

Depends if you think Monte is a good judge of talent. If you do think he is good, you want him to move to 2 and pick the all-star versus waiting and taking who falls.
I think he is a good judge of talent based on his history so far. And if he is happy with the top 4 or even top 6, I’m fine with staying put it even trading down to get assets plus the pick. It all depends on if he sees a big gap after the top 3 and 4-6. Is it a 3 player draft? 4 player draft? 6 player draft? With Petrie gone, it’s “In Monte we trust now”

Well, that's not correct. Enrolling in college doesn't affect your NBA draft eligibility (at least, until your NCAA eligibility is used up).

There was some question about whether Sharpe would be eligible because of the clause that players have to be one NBA season removed from their high school graduation, or one NBA season from when they would have graduated, had they graduated. Sharpe's class graduated in May of 2021, so that requirement should have been fulfilled - whether he graduated or not. Things get weird because his subsequent enrollment at a prep school could potentially be interpreted as "changing his high school class" and effectively resetting that clock. But there's a Givony report out there that he in fact did have sufficient credits to graduate with his original class (and while it's not clear, he may have been awarded a degree in May 2021). Anyway, there's a wee bit of a gray area in the rules, but the NBA declared him eligible for the draft, and that would have been based on his high school status, not his college enrollment.
I meant that he was using the Kentucky time as filler while his camp got his eligibility sorted out. Him apparently graduating in 2021 is a mystery in its own self because it wasn't even clear until a month before the draft.

Hopefully his camp and handlers aren't going to screw anything up.

The guy literally played in the NBA. Pretty~~~ sure he’s got a better idea then us about basketball
“You can’t be serious. You cannot be serious!”

McEnroe jokes aside, you don’t seem to understand that being a professional athlete doesn’t automatically qualify anyone as a student of the game or remotely close to an expert. You’re making an argument from authority here.

Fans often refer to football or basketball IQ. And how certain players don’t have it.

If having played the game did qualify someone as an expert — then you’d rarely see anyone fail as a GM, coach, or analyst. But since there is a night and day difference between playing and teaching/coaching/analyzing we see former players fail all the time. That, and not everyone works as hard as others.

Conversely, there are genius level people that don’t have formal educations or resumes to speak of.

Point being, having “former professional athlete” on one’s resume doesn’t necessarily qualify that person’s opinion superior to someone that never played. That’s flawed one-dimensional thinking.

I think he is a good judge of talent based on his history so far. And if he is happy with the top 4 or even top 6, I’m fine with staying put it even trading down to get assets plus the pick. It all depends on if he sees a big gap after the top 3 and 4-6. Is it a 3 player draft? 4 player draft? 6 player draft? With Petrie gone, it’s “In Monte we trust now”
History would indicate most likely 2 all stars in the top 5. If you are good you typically want to move up if possible to get them.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Ham has been complaining about the Kings refusing to tell him who they’re having in for workouts over his last couple of weeks of podcasts So we do know the Kings are bringing people in but we have no idea who that is.
I know another day another pile on Ham ... has he really openly done this even though his whole angle is pretending like he has connections others lack?

The content has been so dry since the first week when we knew the order it really hasn't benefitted these folks that rely on daily engagement. Which I must say, is one thing I love about our current FO. The Locked On stuff has gotten really bad as time wears on, and it doesn't help the other guys in the network seem equally clued out. Honestly I'm just looking forward to the actual draft when we don't have to pretend to be mind readers.

I know another day another pile on Ham ... has he really openly done this even though his whole angle is pretending like he has connections others lack?

The content has been so dry since the first week when we knew the order it really hasn't benefitted these folks that rely on daily engagement. Which I must say, is one thing I love about our current FO. The Locked On stuff has gotten really bad as time wears on, and it doesn't help the other guys in the network seem equally clued out. Honestly I'm just looking forward to the actual draft when we don't have to pretend to be mind readers.
Ya he's always bitching about how great the warriors player/media relations team is over there and how it's non existent here and he was hoping Mike would poach someone in that field from the Warriors staff. As far as the belly comparison he just mentioned Belly's length allowed him to absorb contact and still highly contest the shot while keeping his hands straight up. Exactly what Chet did to Duren.

Yeah. I'm not sure how good or bad it is that there is no media to interact with the team. It means the team controls the narrative, but doesn't always mean we hear the truth.

I don't miss the days of Pete D and his crowd sourcing, but going to the other extreme isn't great either. Never thought that draft workouts were something to heavily guard against. Yet here we are.

Last edited:
I was at that game. That moment was awesome. (I had random love for Jabari as the 12th man on that team). Less awesome that Peeler was suspended and KG wasn’t, and the shorthanded Kings fell short in game 7.

I’ve been saying for years now that the son’s destiny is to avenge his father and get the Kings back to the playoffs. Starting with a victory over the T-Wolves in the play-in next year. ;)

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Yeah. I'm not sure how good or bad it is that there is no media to interact with the team. It means the team controls the narrative, but doesn't always mean we hear the truth.

I don't miss the days of Pete D and his crowd sourcing, but going to the other extreme isn't great either. Never thought that draft workouts were something to heavily guard against. Yet here we are.
Maybe they just want more control over who they distribute info to? I'm sure they will have a media team again. I'm not sure that team will see any benefit working with Ham unless he gets a bigger platform again.

Maybe they just want more control over who they distribute info to? I'm sure they will have a media team again. I'm not sure that team will see any benefit working with Ham unless he gets a bigger platform again.
The media team is still part of the Kings organization. The city of Sacramento no longer has any independent media with legitimate access to the team. That's an issue in itself. It's the team's right to do what they want. However, I don't believe in the long run it will be in their best interest.

I'm not a Ham fan, but who else is actually trying to report on the team in a meaningful way?

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
The media team is still part of the Kings organization. The city of Sacramento no longer has any independent media with legitimate access to the team. That's an issue in itself. It's the team's right to do what they want. However, I don't believe in the long run it will be in their best interest.

I'm not a Ham fan, but who else is actually trying to report on the team in a meaningful way?
Not being local I can't speak to all of this, but there isn't a shortage of other options out there. CD, Deuce and Mo, Matt George, plus a dozen other twitter/blogger types that all seem less full of themselves than Ham that do the same basic thing. Aggregate scouting reports, data, etc. Actually quite a few of the twitter types far more informative.

Not being local I can't speak to all of this, but there isn't a shortage of other options out there. CD, Deuce and Mo, Matt George, plus a dozen other twitter/blogger types that all seem less full of themselves than Ham that do the same basic thing. Aggregate scouting reports, data, etc. Actually quite a few of the twitter types far more informative.
https://twitter.com/SacFilmRoom

https://twitter.com/BSWest5

https://twitter.com/JillAdge

https://twitter.com/BrendenNunesNBA

https://twitter.com/FCartoscelli3

https://twitter.com/will_zimmerle

If anyone is looking for some good Kings twitter follows

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Well, I guess I'm getting old. I know the names, but to me they are bloggers and not necessarily media. No disrespect to any of them. CD is CD. Deuce and Mo are fine, but still connected to the team.

I've not yet accepted podcasters/youtubers being considered media. That may say more about me than them. I digress.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Well, I guess I'm getting old. I know the names, but to me they are bloggers and not necessarily media. No disrespect to any of them. CD is CD. Deuce and Mo are fine, but still connected to the team.

I've not yet accepted podcasters/youtubers being considered media. That may say more about me than them. I digress.
They are all within one rung of the ladder with Ham though. I'm not saying all are great, even Dave I disagree with as often as I agree with him. But the big thing is none of them really carry the baggage Ham does. Well ok, I'll never not laugh at Matt George for the Double Down rap. :D

Sean Cunningham, Brenden Nunes, Jill Adge, Jason Anderson, Matt George to name a few.

I think part of the issue is that the nba draft (and nba off-season in general) has become so popular that there is a constant t desire to have content. As an avid podcast listener, I can’t even count the amount of nba draft podcasts I’ve listened to over the past two weeks that have all talked about the exact same thing. They are just looking for ways to pump out content and I’m a sucker for it, but nothing noteworthy is going to happen until maybe the week before the draft. It’s fun to speculate but it does drive one insane.

They are all within one rung of the ladder with Ham though. I'm not saying all are great, even Dave I disagree with as often as I agree with him. But the big thing is none of them really carry the baggage Ham does. Well ok, I'll never not laugh at Matt George for the Double Down rap. :D
CD is and always has been a glorified fan. Nothing more. His stage name even harkens back to the days he was calling in to the radio show as a fan. His main claim to fame is having gone to school with Urijah Faber.

During that time there weren’t many locales where that’d ever parlay into media career. SAC just happened to be among the small ponds where it worked. Even then he was still out of a gig for a while when the lifeboat known as the internet and podcasting saved him.

The climate of the past 15-20 years is much different than it ever has been. Good for him and others that are able to take advantage and make a career of it. But let’s not pretend most of these personalities (especially Ham) are uniquely qualified more than any dedicated and hardcore fan.

I can probably name a dozen people on this website that are more knowledgeable than any of the media types that cover the KINGS. I’d venture to guess most of them either didn’t want to sacrifice the time needed to pursue that gig or just are happy in the careers they already built.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
CD is and always has been a glorified fan. Nothing more. His stage name even harkens back to the days he was calling in to the radio show as a fan. His main claim to fame is having gone to school with Urijah Faber.

During that time there weren’t many locales where that’d ever parlay into media career. SAC just happened to be among the small ponds where it worked. Even then he was still out of a gig for a while when the lifeboat known as the internet and podcasting saved him.

The climate of the past 15-20 years is much different than it ever has been. Good for him and others that are able to take advantage and make a career of it. But let’s not pretend most of these personalities (especially Ham) are uniquely qualified more than any dedicated and hardcore fan.

I can probably name a dozen people on this website that are more knowledgeable than any of the media types that cover the KINGS. I’d venture to guess most of them either didn’t want to sacrifice the time needed to pursue that gig or just are happy in the careers they already built.
absolutely, most these days are really active fans who see the opening left by the death of traditional journalism (since papers don't want to pay staff writers).

Sean Cunningham, Brenden Nunes, Jill Adge, Jason Anderson, Matt George to name a few.
Cunningham and Anderson, yes. Jill and Nunes are fans with a podcast who are working hard to legitimize themselves. Good for them. Matt George....he's persistent.

The media I'm speaking of is going away and is being replaced by fans with the biggest Twitter following. A local fan with a strong opinion is not the same as a reporter or beat writer with formal journalism training.

I'll accept that times are different, but won't be able to pretend that local fans are something more than they are, no matter how much I enjoy or consume their content.

Status
Not open for further replies.