KINGS PICKING 4TH IN 2022 NBA DRAFT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are people so concerned about someone's frame and being injured all the time, there have been plenty of "twigs" who have had beyond productive careers even non stars (Durrant/KG_ are superstars) guys like Corey Brewer, Prince, Rip Hamilton., Christian Wood. 7 foot length Skills/smarts >frame everyday of the week this is not a body building contest. It's not like that Chet guy is a power player with that frame that bullied guys to the rim in college. Even Poku has been relatively injury free although he was just not ready to play mentally at the NBA level . These guys have insane skills I'm taking that over almost anyone if he's there at #4 the Kings would be idiots to let him go.

Most guys who don't make it in the NBA is due to IQ/lack of skills needed for a certain position I don't think Chet is in that category.
While I share the same can he stay healthy concerns, for me, it's his transition from college to the pros. I don't think he's going to be anywhere near his ceiling until his second contract (assuming good health, of course). People point to that game against Duren. While Chet played well, Duren played equally like a young bull, who was over hyped, and tried to physically beat down another young bull. Duren made it easy for Chet when he went directly into Chet's body during the game. Chet, who is taller and longer than Duren, just kinda stood there and got like 3 blocks by doing essentially nothing.

Pros, who are going to be just as physically mature as Duren, but gifted with skill and experience, are going to be yo-yoing Chet in the paint and perimeter for the first few seasons. Pounding him and spinning off. Faking a shot and driving on him. So I don't think he's going to have the defensive impact that most assume.

If he's healthy, I think he has a modern Paul Gasol like arc. So I do like him, but if he's the dude that's available at 4, I would trade down and would pick Daniels, Mathurin, and Dieng in that order. Preferablly Daniels plus one of the other two.

The guy literally played in the NBA. Pretty~~~ sure he’s got a better idea then us about basketball
Playing in the nba and watching a lot of tape doesnt make you a good coach. Plenty of great players werent good coach and being a player doesnt automatically make you a better coach than those who havent played. I understand your general premise that playing in the nba and having some coaching experience make him better qualified than 99.9999% of us on this forum (especially me lol), but it doesnt make him a good coach or immune to criticism from those who know basic basketball and can see what apparently he doesnt. Just like those saying Ham doesnt know that much about basketball just because he has a media pass. I rarely see him break any kings news or have any insight that stands out. Just in the last few months there have been a few kings twitter fans that started posting videos that clearly and accurately break down players on the kings and in the draft. I've seen more from them (and a few posters here) vs Ham that would make me think they know more about aspects of basketball than Ham just cuz he has been on tv or on the radio.

Playing in the nba and watching a lot of tape doesnt make you a good coach. Plenty of great players werent good coach and being a player doesnt automatically make you a better coach than those who havent played. I understand your general premise that playing in the nba and having some coaching experience make him better qualified than 99.9999% of us on this forum (especially me lol), but it doesnt make him a good coach or immune to criticism from those who know basic basketball and can see what apparently he doesnt. Just like those saying Ham doesnt know that much about basketball just because he has a media pass. I rarely see him break any kings news or have any insight that stands out. Just in the last few months there have been a few kings twitter fans that started posting videos that clearly and accurately break down players on the kings and in the draft. I've seen more from them (and a few posters here) vs Ham that would make me think they know more about aspects of basketball than Ham just cuz he has been on tv or on the radio.
so guys where their job for basically their entire adult life that has revolved around professional basketball knows less then us amateurs about NBA basketball? o_O

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
so guys where their job for basically their entire adult life that has revolved around professional basketball knows less then us amateurs about NBA basketball? o_O
Luke Walton = Bad coach. He may have forgotten more about basketball than I will ever know, but he has proven to be poor at his job when compared with his peers.

James Ham = TV/Radio guy who rubbed a lot people here wrong when he used the relocation saga and hard work of others to keep the team in town for personal gain and career advancement. He has a pretty consistent track record of losing his gigs and it appears that his access to inside info at this time is extremely curtailed and he is just retweeting national guys at this point and offering hot takes on the draft class. Compared to other journalists he is subpar in every regard except for his ability to play the game, but once he has gotten a gig his performance hasn't been worth keeping around. Comparing him to random posters on the internets isn't really fair, he should be compared with his peers. And in that regard, he is well below average.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I see the problem now. You can't comprehend what people are writing.

Nobody said he knows less about NBA basketball. They repeatedly said he's not a good coach. What part of that do you not understand?

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Woah woah woah, give me some credit. I’ve at least watched these guys play on TV (and descended down a Shaedon Sharpe YouTube rabbit hole or two) a couple of times.
I tried to go down this hole but lost interest. I mostly watched Ivey and Murray stuff but have backed off in the last week, at the end of the day I am pretty sure it will be one of those two. I think a lot of the Ivey smoke in the top 3 is actually aimed and teams behind us who really desperately need a SG and a playmaker and may be more eager to give up something of real value than what we might (even Detroit and Indy).

I see the problem now. You can't comprehend what people are writing.

Nobody said he knows less about NBA basketball. They repeatedly said he's not a good coach. What part of that do you not understand?
oh I can comprehend. It’s more the opposite as I didn’t get triggered over saying Ham prolly knows better then us couch GMs. Then it went to Bill Walton’s son for some reason. I just simply went along and lol’d the whole time

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Is anybody really mad at James Ham around here? I just thought it was a running joke that he kept re-posting tweets about the coaching search and sortof implying that he had some inside knowledge about news that had already been reported. The Scrappy-Doo vibe is pretty funny but also basically harmless. Not everyone has a @Tetsujin to keep them informed and he's providing that service for some subset of Kings fans.

As for as his takes on prospects I think he knows as much or as little as basically any fan, coach, GM, owner, current NBA player, etc. It's all just opinion during draft season.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Is anybody really mad at James Ham around here? I just thought it was a running joke that he kept re-posting tweets about the coaching search and sortof implying that he had some inside knowledge about news that had already been reported. The Scrappy-Doo vibe is pretty funny but also basically harmless. Not everyone has a @Tetsujin to keep them informed and he's providing that service for some subset of Kings fans.

As for as his takes on prospects I think he knows as much or as little as basically any fan, coach, GM, owner, current NBA player, etc. It's all just opinion during draft season.
The answer is yes. Mike, Warhawk, and I think Cap can fill you in.

But also yes, much is a running joke about the Scrappy-Doo vibe, but in context of the stories the above will tell about the relocation saga and video projects surrounding it, it's less haha funny and more schadenfreude funny.

hrdboild

Staff member
Luke Walton = Bad coach. He may have forgotten more about basketball than I will ever know, but he has proven to be poor at his job when compared with his peers.

James Ham = TV/Radio guy who rubbed a lot people here wrong when he used the relocation saga and hard work of others to keep the team in town for personal gain and career advancement. He has a pretty consistent track record of losing his gigs and it appears that his access to inside info at this time is extremely curtailed and he is just retweeting national guys at this point and offering hot takes on the draft class. Compared to other journalists he is subpar in every regard except for his ability to play the game, but once he has gotten a gig his performance hasn't been worth keeping around. Comparing him to random posters on the internets isn't really fair, he should be compared with his peers. And in that regard, he is well below average.
Ah, I was unaware of this angle but I can understand why that would rub some people the wrong way. There's a lot of difficult ethical questions related to documentary production. I don't know the details here but I'm sympathetic to how difficult it can be to inform without crossing the line into exploitation -- ie using other's people's stories for your own personal gain and career advancement. It's hard to know where that line is, even if your intentions are good.

hrdboild

Staff member
The answer is yes. Mike, Warhawk, and I think Cap can fill you in.

But also yes, much is a running joke about the Scrappy-Doo vibe, but in context of the stories the above will tell about the relocation saga and video projects surrounding it, it's less haha funny and more schadenfreude funny.
I would be interested to hear more about this if someone is willing to PM about it since it's not really on-topic anymore. Call it professional curiosity. :)

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Ah, I was unaware of this angle but I can understand why that would rub some people the wrong way. There's a lot of difficult ethical questions related to documentary production. I don't know the details here but I'm sympathetic to how difficult it can be to inform without crossing the line into exploitation -- ie using other's people's stories for your own personal gain and career advancement. It's hard to know where that line is, even if your intentions are good.
I think if it had been about anything else than saving the team, and in many ways Sacramento as a premiere entertainment center (yeah, I know saying that has me rolling my eyes, but without an arena that's at least 100 other events besides basketball the city will lose out on), it would have been far more forgivable. People were pouring their heart into saving an important aspect of the community and then you have a guy who's main angle was he always wanted to be a sports reporter.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I think if it had been about anything else than saving the team, and in many ways Sacramento as a premiere entertainment center (yeah, I know saying that has me rolling my eyes, but without an arena that's at least 100 other events besides basketball the city will lose out on), it would have been far more forgivable. People were pouring their heart into saving an important aspect of the community and then you have a guy who's main angle was he always wanted to be a sports reporter.
Exactly.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
To be fair, I’d probably gamble on the Sixers being more dysfunctional in a year or so like the Nets are too.
Oh me too plus the draft is likely to be better and who knows if Harden will even be there (probably but he wants more $$$)

I guess it's a combination of the Nets choosing it, and it even being an option.

Meanwhile, Portland desperately needed a second pick this year haha.

hrdboild

Staff member
I tried to go down this hole but lost interest. I mostly watched Ivey and Murray stuff but have backed off in the last week, at the end of the day I am pretty sure it will be one of those two. I think a lot of the Ivey smoke in the top 3 is actually aimed and teams behind us who really desperately need a SG and a playmaker and may be more eager to give up something of real value than what we might (even Detroit and Indy).
I actually could see Sam Presti sniping Jaden Ivey as there's a case to be made that he has the most star potential of anyone in this draft and identifying future stars is what Presti has built his career on. But even if that happens, the choice is probably going to be Murry vs. Banchero or Murray vs. Holmgren. There's pos and cons with all three of them but ultimately it's not our choice anyway so why worry about it? :)

Fair Analysis.

I like James. I sense him to be a real sharp and calm guy. He presents what he has to the public.

I imagine it is difficult to re-start your career after being let go.

I too remember Kozimor. But Jim was able to re-surface elsewhere after he was let go by the Kings. "From 2009-2011 Kozimor worked for Universal Sports and called triathlons and luge events."--I'd say tough times. And now he has found significant sucess on SF radio, tv, and the Olympics.

I hope the best for James. This is where your meddle gets tested in life. Recently, It was reported that Denzell said, "When you are on top, that's when the devil comes looking for you. And I really hope he has success in his most recent endeavor....keep writing.

I wasn't a fan of Walton as a coach, but yes, he knows a tremendous amount about NBA basketball.

I have never felt that way about James Ham. He seems like a fan with a platform rather than an expert with connections or a deep understanding of the game.
I mean you really have to know the game to find the similarities between Chet and…bjeli???

Status
Not open for further replies.