KINGS PICKING 4TH IN 2022 NBA DRAFT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Would love for Houston to do something crazy and make a top 3 player available to us.

I don't see Banchero as a swing for the fences type player though. I'd be shocked if he dropped out of the top 2.
Almost everyone has him mocked at 3 right now?

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Just a hunch, but I'm betting Holmgren drops due to teams getting cold feet about his build.
I feel ya, but I do think because OKC and HOU probably have no plan to compete next year, if he falls from Orlando I think both will be happy to make the pick as a can't lose move.

I also am just hoping Orlando bites because of Suggs.

Is he a 2 or a 3 (Sharpe)? Without evidence he can defend the NBA SF, I don't know what to make of him. I would love it if someone wanted to give us a fool's package for him, or if he gets drafted 2 or 3.
I think he's a wing for sure. More SG but with that size and athleticism he'll be fine at SF IMO. Kendall Brown is taller but Sharpe has the same basic measurables.

You're also assuming that what they did at the college level is entirely indicative of what they'll be at the NBA level. They are two entirely different games. With the kind of calls guards get and the spacing you get speed kills. And they all excite me! It's going to be a pretty easy draft IMO unless they take Duren or something and shock us all, haha. The Kings got lucky, now they can have an option to go all in on potential. I kind of look like it like this, in terms of ceiling I think Ivey can be a Donovan Mitchell type. Keegan, I think is probably going to be a Shareef Abdur-Rahim type. Good knees and faster but if his one on one skills translate he'll be that versatile as a scorer. They can't go wrong, but maybe the question is how can they go most right? I think most right is getting the most valuable type of player for todays game. Ivey screams that to me. If the Kings don't make it next year I'd much rather hit reset with Ivey's upside than almost anyone else at 4.
I’m curious what part of Iveys game you think is perfect for the modern NBA?

it seems like shooters are more valuable than ever in todays game, and that’s not one of Ivey’s specialties. What other attributes of his game do you think are going to make him a stud at the next level?

It seems like the reason he didn't do those things is because he is hiding something.

You tell me that Kentucky was good enough to sit him this year if he could contribute?
My thoughts exactly. He’s avoiding showcasing more of his skills b/c right now he’s mocked really high, and he knows that more transparency will probably only hurt his stock, not help it.

it seems like shooters are more valuable than ever in todays game, and that’s not one of Ivey’s specialties. What other attributes of his game do you think are going to make him a stud at the next level?
there’s a fair scouting video floating around this thread to show you what he’s good and bad at

He's a big explosive guard that will get to the rim with ease. He either dunks on the defense or reaches into his acrobatic layup package. If he isn't really good I'll be surprised. The problem for us is he doesn't fit on our team at all.

Just a hunch, but I'm betting Holmgren drops due to teams getting cold feet about his build.
I’m praying he does. Even with all his question marks the Kings shouldn’t think twice and draft him. He’s got generational upside and the highest ceiling in this class by a mile. I’d rather he doesn’t pan out and the Kings continue to suck then pass on him and watch what he becomes.

I’m praying he does. Even with all his question marks the Kings shouldn’t think twice and draft him. He’s got generational upside and the highest ceiling in this class by a mile. I’d rather he doesn’t pan out and the Kings continue to suck then pass on him and watch what he becomes.
Trade Fox and Keep Ivey? I don't think I would. It's a conundrum, I tell you!

My move for Ivey would be predicated on knowing another team realizes he is a stud and making them trade me everything for him.

I don't think his game is perfect for the modern NBA nor expect it to be, I think his general makeup is as an athlete, and his game is good enough outside/in to make his potential off the charts if he improves on some of the many things he's shown an aptitude for. I don't think he'll be a bad fit next to Fox as evidenced by his off the screen shooting and I think his ability to catch and blast to the rim will make him a threat any time he catches it from 3 whether teams are packing it in on him or not. I've brought this up a few times, with the rules of verticality going out the window even further this season good luck trying to body him up. I also think if his ability to stretch out that far and be somewhat competent in college holds up, he should a decent shooter from there from day 1.

Last edited:
Draft Murray or Banchero if he falls, take another wing who can switch and knock down a 3 with the 2nd round pick. That is where we need to focus. Fox and DDV start, Davion and TD off the bench
TD getting lost in a lot of discussions, but he was absolutely ripping for his last 16 games before he got hurt:

14.3PPG
3.9RPG
1.9APG
40.2% from 3 on 5.8 attempts
61.8% TS

And the really nice thing is the Kings should have cap space to resign him next off-season, even though we won't have his full-bird rights, if he balls out. It's hard to include him in the future core right now because of his contract situation, but if we get anything close to that last 16 game production? At 25 years old, that'd absolutely make him a 2023 priority.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
And the really nice thing is the Kings should have cap space to resign him next off-season, even though we won't have his full-bird rights, if he balls out. It's hard to include him in the future core right now because of his contract situation, but if we get anything close to that last 16 game production? At 25 years old, that'd absolutely make him a 2023 priority.
Slightly confused, we don't get credit for the year he finished with the Kings? I thought since he was acquired in trade and according to basketball-reference we signed him using the Early Bird he'd be Bird eligible on the next deal?

If anything, these playoffs are helping Keegan's draft stock more than any workout could. 6'8" forwards are essentially the most important pieces on the floor right now.
Yep they have been for a while. It’s why 6’8 forwards go early in the draft and if are even passable never hit free agency.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Yep they have been for a while. It’s why 6’8 forwards go early in the draft and if are even passable never hit free agency.
feels like we've hyped ourselves into many a FA in this exact position during the last ~5 years. It's been our position of need the way "we just need a PG" was a thing for like a decade with this club before/after Bibby.

Slightly confused, we don't get credit for the year he finished with the Kings? I thought since he was acquired in trade and according to basketball-reference we signed him using the Early Bird he'd be Bird eligible on the next deal?
Ohh, you're a genius. I totally forgot we actually traded for him.

Then yeah, we have full birds. That changes a lot on my valuation of him tbh in terms of what kind of role to give him this upcoming season. I wasn't too fond of the idea of him balling out and then we just have to let him walk.

Even Kyle Kuzma, who everyone thought was dust after a few rough years on the Lakers, turned himself into a quality starter once he was able to open his game a bit. The 6'8 forward with on-ball skills, whether scoring or playmaking (or both in star-caliber players case) is just an insanely valuable archetype that has a real chance to pop as an all-star or at a minimum a long-term starter (think Marcus Morris type).

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Ohh, you're a genius. I totally forgot we actually traded for him.

Then yeah, we have full birds. That changes a lot on my valuation of him tbh in terms of what kind of role to give him this upcoming season. I wasn't too fond of the idea of him balling out and then we just have to let him walk.
Hardly a genius, I swear I go to basketball reference like 3x a day right now to look at our contracts and stress out over who will be here for how long with all potential draft combos (also to check expirings for trade scenarios). I don't think I'd be doing this if we were picking 7th lol

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Seems like we have done just the opposite taking the best guard available time and again
Yeah I'm talking about how we were going to throw big money at guys like Otto Porter Jr. every off season. We've been talking about this elusive archetype as the missing piece for so long that now we're trying to talk ourselves out of drafting one.

There was a time though when all this fanbase ever talked about was how a PG would put us over :D

Yeah I'm talking about how we were going to throw big money at guys like Otto Porter Jr. every off season. We've been talking about this elusive archetype as the missing piece for so long that now we're trying to talk ourselves out of drafting one.

There was a time though when all this fanbase ever talked about was how a PG would put us over :D
I'd bet pretty solid money he's going to be on the Kings radar this off-season (finally, after like 7 years of KF.com wanting him). Proved he was healthy, he's perfectly assimilated into a quality role player role, advanced metrics look good, familiar with Mike Brown system to help bring guys along. Perhaps he can finally break the "Kings acquire a good veteran role player who immediately sucks once putting on a Kings uni" curse.

And watching Kleber this playoffs more closely, I'm growing more and more interested with a Holmes for Kleber swap. I think you could plug him right away at the 4 and our defensive upside is dramatically better. He's an excellent rim protector (Advanced metrics and just watching him close out at the 5 shows this checks out), is impactful across the board on advanced metrics and is a good spacer, despite the 32.5% this season. He's at 42% in the playoffs and shot 35-37-41 in his previous 3 seasons on good volume. Fair to say I think it was just a random down year shooting rather than indicative of his spacing talent. And if doesn't work, he's a UFA so you'd just be able to get off the Holmes money for a free look at Kleber.

What's even more fun is you'd have a truly versatile/modern NBA front-line if you drafted Murray as well. You almost wouldn't need a back-up C:

Fox || Mitchell
DDV || T.Davis
Barnes || Porter
Kleber || Murray
Sabonis || Jones

There's all kinds of juicy versatility in there and the Kings would go from 1 3/4 flex wing to 4. You could even start Murray over Kleber, rotate Kleber in at the 5 for Sabonis and play around with all kinds of Porter/Kleber, Murray/Kleber, Porter/Murray and of course all 3 fit beautifully with Sabonis at the 4.

My guess is the Mavs would love to get some value for Kleber too, especially with a guy they were linked to in Holmes that should fit beautifully with Luka. They just paid DFS, they're going to have pay Brunson at least $20mil a year.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I'd bet pretty solid money he's going to be on the Kings radar this off-season (finally, after like 7 years of KF.com wanting him). Proved he was healthy, he's perfectly assimilated into a quality role player role, advanced metrics look good, familiar with Mike Brown system to help bring guys along. Perhaps he can finally break the "Kings acquire a good veteran role player who immediately sucks once putting on a Kings uni" curse.

And watching Kleber this playoffs more closely, I'm growing more and more interested with a Holmes for Kleber swap. I think you could plug him right away at the 4 and our defensive upside is dramatically better. He's an excellent rim protector (Advanced metrics and just watching him close out at the 5 shows this checks out), is impactful across the board on advanced metrics and is a good spacer, despite the 32.5% this season. He's at 42% in the playoffs and shot 35-37-41 in his previous 3 seasons on good volume. Fair to say I think it was just a random down year shooting rather than indicative of his spacing talent. And if doesn't work, he's a UFA so you'd just be able to get off the Holmes money for a free look at Kleber.

What's even more fun is you'd have a truly versatile/modern NBA front-line if you drafted Murray as well. You almost wouldn't need a back-up C:

Fox || Mitchell
DDV || T.Davis
Barnes || Porter
Kleber || Murray
Sabonis || Jones

There's all kinds of juicy versatility in there and the Kings would go from 1 3/4 flex wing to 4. You could even start Murray over Kleber, rotate Kleber in at the 5 for Sabonis and play around with all kinds of Porter/Kleber, Murray/Kleber, Porter/Murray and of course all 3 fit beautifully with Sabonis at the 4.

My guess is the Mavs would love to get some value for Kleber too, especially with a guy they were linked to in Holmes that should fit beautifully with Luka. They just paid DFS, they're going to have pay Brunson at least $20mil a year.
I think Dallas would be a good fit for Holmes too. He's a great pick and roll big man and they're loaded up on pick and roll guards. This looks like a roster that Mike Brown could coach into a playoff spot. I don't know that we have the cap space to sign Otto Porter and bring back both DDV and Jones, but I like the concept at least.

For those of you who are writing off Keegan Murray because he is 21 years old, please keep in mind that this years probable champs and 3 time World Champions (Golden State Warrior) has a starting core with 3 out of 5 of their starters, Steph Curry (21), Klay Thomson (21) and Draymond Green (22) all 21 or 22 years old when they were drafted by the Warriors.

Just because they are upper classmen and a little older than the 19 year old kids when they enter the draft doesn’t mean they can’t go on to become one of the best players from their drafts.

Status
Not open for further replies.